[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of a disadvantage am I at if I don't use digital

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1471561757960.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471561757960.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
How much of a disadvantage am I at if I don't use digital tools (other than a scanner, obviously) at all for my art? I just like the idea of doing everything with a pencil and brush. Is there any merit in the art world today to not using digital tools?
>>
File: 4290823049.gif (322KB, 1896x907px) Image search: [Google]
4290823049.gif
322KB, 1896x907px
>>2650229
Not really.
Normies god damn love traditional art.
pinterest.com/categories/art/
>>
>>2650229
>traditional
>disadvantage

Unless you do art for a living, traditional I always superior.
>>
>>2650254
>>2650299
Then why does everyone seems so obsessed with digital editing?
>>
>>2650299
>unless you do art for a living

Hang on, what?
>>
>>2650305
because it's easier
>>
>>2650310
Doesn't that make them learn slower?
>>
>>2650229

You'll improve faster if you also do digital painting in my opinion.. The best oil painters at the atelier I studied at were all digital painters. It's a quick and easy medium to work with and it takes away the physical paint aspect (and all the challenges that come with it) which gives you more time to work on color, value and composition etc.

In terms of understanding the universal fundamentals, I think a fully digital atelier would produce superior artists over a traditional one. A tightly rendered cast drawing in charcoal can take weeks. A digital cast drawing with the same amount of rendering and accuracy could be done in a day.

Obviously you need specific training with your chosen medium, but I think you would most definitely benefit from doing digital.
>>
>>2650305
>>2650310
The fuck are you talking about. Most of the art pieces I see praised or sold are drawn traditional.
>>
>>2650310
The only easier thing is that you have an undo button and photo manipulation shit. The fundamentals will be the same, so if you suck at digital you will suck at traditional and vice versa. Stop trying to belittle digital artists.
>>2650305
digital is the standard for most commercial art jobs which is what people on here aim for. Concept art, book covers, comics to an extent, all that stuff is mostly digital these days so you have to learn digital.
>>2650329
Fine art stuff is different from commercial art. But yeah, there's still a huge market for traditional art, it's probably just a bit difficult to get into. IDK much about selling traditional stuff but I know it sells.
>>
>>2650362
>IDK much about selling traditional stuff but I know it sells.
Just do what any marketing guy would do
>Share your stuff in social media (pinterest and instagram are probably the hugest and most common places to share art, the Japanese tend to use twitter as well but I don't think it's used as that or is as popular as the first two in that topic outside of that country)
>Sell your stuff digitally and physically (on what format is your choice, just make sure to put it online where your piece would be sold and/or where you can sell your stuff on person. Usually artists in my country just make something similar to a lemonade stall but with art in some random part of a city)
>Talk to your fans and other artists
>Promote your stuff where it would be welcomed
>etc
Is not that hard
>>
Depends what you wanna do.

You wanna be an illustrator or fine artist? Then you're fine.

You want to do concept art or animation or something like that? You're boned.
>>
>>2650372
Bruh it's not the same. With traditional it's better to be known locally, 'cause you have physical works to hang at a gallery or sell - that adds maybe 500% to the value. Make contacts with local artists and they can help you spread the word, again it's all within the country but on the internet traditional art loses all its advantages and therefore can't compete.

So yea, traditional art isn't "outdated", but you have to know how to put its traits in your favor.
And as always, git gud.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.