[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So at this point you pretty much have to use 3D and/or photograph

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: GenericArtStationImage.jpg (541KB, 1920x1063px) Image search: [Google]
GenericArtStationImage.jpg
541KB, 1920x1063px
So at this point you pretty much have to use 3D and/or photograph elements in your work if you want to make it as a digital illustrator or concept artist, right?
>>
>>2647050
as concept artist for environments? yes.
Illustrator? no.
>>
File: tumblr_nv43hlPvSX1qekqico1_1280.png (1MB, 1280x936px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv43hlPvSX1qekqico1_1280.png
1MB, 1280x936px
>>2647050
not really. I mean, whether you use photo textures or texture brushes is such an irrelevant choice anyway I'm not sure why you think that any client would care whichever you use.
>>
>>2647050
>illustrator =/= concept artist

When will people here learn?
>>
OP here, I mean in order to compete. Of course, if you're as skilled and experienced as Wesley Burt or something you can do whatever the hell you want. But for someone just starting out it seems the standard has risen so much in the last few years, it has become pretty much obligatory to use 3D or photo elements to push your images to a competitive level. Am I wrong?
>>
>>2647167
Not if you want to work as a concept artist at Arenanet. Not if you want to work on MtG. Not if you want to do book covers. Etc, etc, etc.

Being able to make use of 3D and photos probably doesn't hurt. But if you don't want to use it you can still get work. Just probably not at Naughty Dog or some other company that makes realistic games set in the present.
>>
>>2647167
>Confirmation bias
>>
>>2647167
Using 3D and photos doesn't make your work look better though, quite the opposite in many cases. It's a way for the artist to save time, which isn't all that important to most clients who pay for illustrations.
>>
>>2647118
>this
>this
>this
>this
>this
>>
>>2647208
You clearly aren't a working professional. Working quickly is not so much for the clients' benefit as it is for the artists'. If you can work fast you can take on more work and get better rates too. It's as simple as that. In studio settings though working quickly is beneficial for the client so they will tell you to photobash or do whatever is quickest.

And 3D and photos do make work look better oftentimes. Especially when the goal is highly realistic things or mechanical.
>>
>>2647262
There's a whole world of working professional artists outside of those who churn out concepts for the entertainment industry you know.

But yeah, if you're doing concept art shit for someone else's property that will never get shown in public and that you will never retain any ownership of, then why bother making it look like good art? Just bash it out in the quickest way possible that the client still finds acceptable and get paid.
>>
>>2647323
>There's a whole world of working professional artists outside of those who churn out concepts for the entertainment industry you know.
Yes, but speed is always relevant. The rates for illustration are terrible. Even if you are working for MtG and getting around 1000 per image which is in the high end of rates for this type of work, you would still need to do over 30 paintings for them per year to make as much as the average income in the USA. That's more than one every two weeks, so if you take about that long for each image you literally have zero time for other work. Considering most clients pay less than that, you will need to pump out a lot of work to make a liveable wage.
>>
>>2647331
>what is editorial illustration
>what is book illustration
>what is comic
>what is freelancing with diverse clients
>what is storyboarding
>>
>>2647485
They all photobash, senpai
>>
>>2647485
Almost no one /ic/ is aiming to get into those areas though.
>>
>>2647485
>editorial illustration
isnt all of it just graphic design?
>>
>>2647050
no, but if you want to work on films/ aaa vidya, you will probably be asked to work w/ photos & 3d models at some point.
>>
>>2647501
It uses a lot of graphic design's language but it depends on what type of magazine you work for.

>>2647493
That's part of a reason why lot of people here are not going to make it.

>>2647488
sure man
>>
>>2647549
Just read the sticky you stupid bitch. Stop trying to make excuses.
>>
>>2647485
And advertising. And fine art of various sorts. And now guys like Peter Mohrbacher are showing everyone that you can do your own thing and make better money than working for these cheap ass piece of shit game companies.

>>2647501
Do a google search for editorial illustration. It's usually simple and bold but it's not just arranging type and shit. It's illustration. It's often clever in some way. More likely to have meaning or metaphor than dragons and space marines stuff. Way too hip for me though. It's gay as shit and they don't give a fuck about Loomis.
>>
>>2647554
I'm not making excuses, I'm just pointing out the fact that a lot of people here are treating art as a job, not as a lifestyle which it is. If you only care about conceptart then you will only be shitty concetpartist. All great conceptartitst care about other types of visual arts.

>>2647555
Yeah in advertising is full of money, but in a way it's even worse then working for gaming or movies, since you are just help selling products that no cares about. There are some advertisement companies which try to do creative work for non shit companies but they usually just outsource illustrators, depending on a type of job.

A for editorial illustration. It has advantage that your submission is the final work that will go to print so people can actually see what you created
>>
>>2647620
Not going to make
>>
>>2647653
>tfw when already made it and somebody is telling that you will not
>>
>>2647765
>tfw when scrubs try to pretend they made it

blog or spark? Which is going to be kiddo?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.