[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Art School worth it? I'm sure that's all anyone

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 012302391414312.jpg (34KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
012302391414312.jpg
34KB, 1280x720px
Is Art School worth it? I'm sure that's all anyone talks about here 24/7 but im new to the forum i usually just lurk /b/. Only just now looked for an Art forum. I've always liked art and i have AP art next semester and i want to work on my art skills and maybe make a career out of it if I can i've always liked drawing and art Any tips on making a career out of art? Much appreciated.
>>
Make sure you go to an art school and not an """""""""""""""art"""""""""""""""""" school.
>>
>>2645133
I dont get the meme is this about my spelling or autistic tumblr fags that go to art school because they can draw an eye?
>>
>>2645119
It's easy, there are the variables
Pure skill, your popularity and connections, this is true for almost any craft though.
It's just a safer bet to have a tumblr it whatever/blog or portfolio because that's the primary way to get popularity today and on top of that it can get you connections.
>>
>>2645119
your still in highschool, 11th grade or 10th. yes, if you grind hard, you could be pretty fuckin good by the end of highschool. hopefully you get a good art teacher, it makes a difference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZd1W2YNfp8

Read the sticky. drawabox.com, artbook threads.

If you really want to be good at art, think about what you're jumping into. its a long tough road. make sure you want this. nobody can make you draw but yourself. if you don't "want" to make art 80% of your time awake, then you will probably be a mediocre tumblr artist or some shit.

if you really suck, like your pic shows, i recommend actually tracing ( it helps you get the gist of forms).

please read the sticky!
>>
>>2645141
He means that you should go to an art school and not a hipster place that discusses importance of fecal matter in art
>>
>>2645141
Go to a reputable art school. A name brand like CalArts, RISD, SVA helps. Don't go to University of Buttfuck State and take art there--that's hopeless.
>>
>>2645141
it's not just a meme and there are exceptions to every rule, but it is a rule.

If you're a tumblr artist, you probably suck yo daddy dick at art!
>>
>>2645145
THe pic was just a 2 second thing i drew so i could have an image im not a very good at drawing with my mouse im more of a real life art not like photoshop
>>
>>2645149
>Go to a reputable art school. A name brand like CalArts, RISD, SVA helps

These are too expensive though
>>
>>2645119
OP here i dont come from alot of money iwas hoping to go to a cheaper art school or not even art school at all
>>
>>2645145
bookmarked the link thanks for the advice man
>>
>>2645165
iirc noah bradley recommends going to more cheaper community college schools.

Reminder. If you CAN afford pricey schools then do it. If not, don't.
>>
>>2645163
Then you're SOL. Take out loans if you're serious.
>>
>>2645165
>>2645199
Dont actually take loans OP thats the quickest way of fucking the rest of your life. Get in some cheap college with a decent enough program; So if the majority of subjects sound closer to some shit like ecofriendly techniques or feminist art history instead of drawing, colour or sculpting you wan to go somewhere else to git gud.
At the end of the day it all depends on you
>>
remember op. Expensive colleges are for connections. You can develop skills on your own.
>>
>>2645162
Post your art, anon.
>>
>>2645119
Go to an atelier if you want to become an artist.
>>
File: ARB.jpg (4MB, 3262x4982px) Image search: [Google]
ARB.jpg
4MB, 3262x4982px
If you're not rich and you live in the U.S., then not really. Watch tutorials, take pay-as-you-go online courses or similarly structured workshops in-person. Stay away from art school unless you're already good as hell and can get something close to a free-ride scholarship.
>>
>>2645251
This. And honestly in todays age of viral exposure you dont even need that.

Art school is really never worth it. You might have an amazing experience but you wont really gain anything you wouldnt from studying solo. If you want to be a teacher or get a degree for any other purpose, go to a state school.
>>
>>2645298
This. The biggest hurdle anyone needs to overcome when self teaching is lack of self-discipline, which you don't have to worry about with ateliers (unless you're an absolute madman who wants to supplement atelier work with homework aka Loomis/Vilppu/Hogarth etc).
>>
>>2645303
Why are you so obsessed with this anon? Everytime this question arises you spam the same images and copy paste the same talking points even if they were debunked the last time you posted them. What is it about this topic that gets to you so much?
>>
>>2645347
Not him but you must be a complete newfag, that image is very popular around /ic/ and not everyone who posts it is the same person
>>
File: 1399507439586.jpg (158KB, 960x585px) Image search: [Google]
1399507439586.jpg
158KB, 960x585px
>>2645347
>debunked

The data in the images I'd made, based though it is on census data from the federal government, is not perfect. It is however the best data we currently have available on the subject. If you have anything better then by all means, do-tell.

If even 25% of working artists had no degree in from an art school, attending them would be a questionable decision, however, according to the data it's possible up to 85% or more do not which makes attendance even more tenuous.

Pair this data with the many anecdotes we can find of working artists who've never set foot in a classroom and it's clear that if you go to school in the U.S. without even trying on your own you've been led down the wrong path.

Like I said in the last school thread, I bring it up because I can, because it's easy for me to do so, and because I get rock hard at the prospect of having prevented even one naive person from having irreparably damaged their quality of life because they went to the wrong school.
>>
File: le peeking dog face.jpg (26KB, 500x581px) Image search: [Google]
le peeking dog face.jpg
26KB, 500x581px
>>2645368
You're both right, because it's not me every time, but it was me this time, and is me most of the time.
>>
If you go to school then be careful which art school you choose, check out the OP from this thread to see what shit you could accidentally get yourself into >>>2627901
>>
File: Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg (374KB, 703x1227px) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg
374KB, 703x1227px
>>2645374
That's SAIC, one of those kinds of schools that is absolutely unfit to host a single student. Looks like there are a few unfortunate graduates in that very thread.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.