[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is drawing yourself in the mirror more like drawing from photo

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 2965703_1.jpg (196KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2965703_1.jpg
196KB, 1600x1600px
Is drawing yourself in the mirror more like drawing from photo reference or drawing from life?
>>
Life, I'd think.

For one, you wouldn't be still, light/shadows will change with minute movement. and it'd be easier to capture that sense of reality in your study.
>>
>>2641037
Completely irrelevant.

Life drawing is about depth perception, ie not looking at a flat surface.
>>
>>2640993
Drawing the reflection on a mirror is equivilent to drawing from life.

>>2641147

You DO have depth perception while looking at a mirror.
>>
>>2641208
No, it is not "equivilent", mirrors distort the reflection based on distance.

>You DO have depth perception while looking at a mirror.
Only technically, and not in the sense you want for life drawing.
>>
>>2641262
Also, unless you're drawing en face, you WILL strain your eyes and neck and further distort the reflection by having your eyes set at different distance to the mirror.

You will also not be able to draw even 1% of poses and angles you would in a life drawing for obvious reasons.

It is literally nothing like live figure drawing.
>>
>>2641265
>Also, unless you're drawing en face, you WILL strain your eyes and neck and further distort the reflection by having your eyes set at different distance to the mirror.
And that is only in the limited angle where you can actually see the image with both of your eyes, before your nose or brow obstruct one of them.
>>
>>2641147
>>2641262
>>2641265
>>2641268

I don't think I understand where you're coming from. Your eyes look 'through' the mirror at your reflection the same as if you were looking at yourself through a glass window. The light is coming at you the same and your brain doesn't know the difference, assuming the mirror isn't distorted.

If you were only looking at the flat surface of the mirror, you would see your reflection split as if it was an unfocused object in the background. So for all intents and purposes drawing a self portrait in the mirror is no different than drawing somebody else right in front of you.
>>
>>2641265
>You will also not be able to draw even 1% of poses and angles you would in a life drawing for obvious reasons.
>It is literally nothing like live figure drawing.

OP asked if drawing a self portait using mirror is closer to copying a photo of himself or drawing himself from life.

It's like drawing from life.
>>
>>2641323
Only if you are looking directly at the mirror, as in your eyes are parallel to the surface and you are looking at the front plane of your face.

If you turn at all, say for a 3/4 view, the image is distorted.
>>
>>2641346
Oh, yeah now I get what you mean. Anything where both eyes can't see your face and you might as well take a photo.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.