[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is there point on "drawing what you see, not what you think

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

is there point on "drawing what you see, not what you think it is" for artists who want to learn how to draw from imagination?
When drawing people or objects, with living references or pictures, shouldn't I use the same construction techniques? If so, that means that every drawing I make while using a reference is always going to be slightly different than the real thing, no matter what, as opposed to pic related, which is a drawing someone certainly made by "drawing what he saw, not what he thought he saw", don't you agree?
>>
>>2640983
Its about avoiding symbol drawing bruv. In any case you dont copy a reference but analyze it so that the constructing blocks are adequate.
>>
>>2640983

You need to do both. When you do studies that focus on construction it's just that, a focus on construction. It's only one but many aspects of a successful drawing. You need to "draw what you see" in order to expand your visual library and build your shape language. Shape is just as important as form.
>>
>>2640983
yes, if you want to go from the ground up, first you must learn how to copy, then how to design form/3d, perspecive, then values, color and so on

trying all at once produce nightmares
>>
>>2641041
by all at once, do you mean all in one exercise? I will have a winter break and I'm planning to use it just to grind. I would kill myself if I spent one month drawing stuff like OP's pic
>>
First of all, who the fuck isn't learning to draw from imagination?

Secondly, you seem to completely misunderstand what is being said when people say "draw what you see, not what you think it is". It's simply referring to how you should look at something when doing studies. Is that really so fucking hard to understand?
>>
Think of it this way - you're trying to build your own watch. What "draw what you see" recommends is taking a watch that's already been made, taking it apart completely, and putting it back together again. You understand how watches are made and all the parts that go into it, even if the end result is basically just the same watch you had before you took it apart. It's to learn about watches, even if your end goal is still to make your own from scratch. You might even be able to take apart a watch and customize it to your liking (basically: using reference). Do it enough, you'll know where all the little bits go, and what they do to make the watch tell the time, and then you've got the basis to make your own.
>>
>>2640983
dont know bout everyone else i just draw what i see and then just do imagination stuff i dont think too often i just feel things out but stuff like anatomy and junk just focus on those once and awhile
>>
>>2641072
Tell us how ypu feel anatomy or perspective m8
>>
>>2641088
Well i just draw alot from life so much that i can feel it out. perspecive and such you can just get better at over time, just like proportions, etc. nothing wrong with learning anatomy or any fundamentals tho they are helpful non the less it just depends how you use em.
>>
>>2641066
>First of all, who the fuck isn't learning to draw from imagination?
tons of people who like to draw shit like OP's pic only draw shit like OP's pic and nothing else
>>
>>2640983
the point of observational skill in terms of invented illustration is that you become increasingly aware of what exactly looks wrong in your artwork.

When you paint, you essentially are just fixing what looks wrong. if you can't see then you aren't fixing anything.

any beginner can look at art and say, "something looks off."

but it takes skill to be able to look at your own work and say "this very specific thing is wrong, let me fix it appropriately." over and over again for hours.
>>
>>2641453
that's a really good point.
For this kind of drawing, should I use rulers or grids to take the measurements or should I force myself to measure by eye?
>>
>>2641431
What's wrong with that?

If it's not in your interest to draw from imagination, don't do it
>>
>>2641505
I never said there was something wrong with that, cunt
(but there is)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.