[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /ic/ think of surrounding yourselves with your own

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: TripleSelf.jpg (82KB, 500x639px) Image search: [Google]
TripleSelf.jpg
82KB, 500x639px
What does /ic/ think of surrounding yourselves with your own art instead of others' works for inspiration?

I follow an artist on Youtube who recently put up a video showcasing her room/studio and she had nothing but her own works of art on her wall as inspiration. There's nothing inherently wrong with this but I couldn't help but find it weird. I can't help thinking she's so in love with her own art that she couldn't possibly be trying to get better, which I feel should always be the goal.

It's always made more sense to me to surround myself with creations from artists I admire, but I'm interested in hearing what you all think about it.

Pic semi-related?
>>
>>2631303
>looking at your own are rather than others for inspiration
Sounds counterintuitive

also sounds like incest
>>
Maybe she doesn't hang her art up to admire it but rather to critique it... Her workspace is a constant reminder to her on how she could get better
>>
I used to have my work decorating my studio (mostly traditional portraits) not purely because of my ego, but so I could see my past mistakes, or attempt to recreate things I did right.

Recently I moved, and have no intention to put them up again. It ended up feeling a bit arrogant and kind of creepy with all those eyes staring at me.
>>
>>2631309
She mentions how much she just likes to look at each piece she has up (about 10 or so).Two of the ones she has up are blown-up prints of old works she sold. I'd understand keeping them up to critique them but I think it's safe to say that's not why she does it.
>>
If you have to live with what you've created maybe that gives you an additional boost to make sure it's good and something you believe in.
>>
I put my stuff on my walls because I want to be more self-sufficient.. if I want a poster or painting, I'll do it myself.
Inspo is on my laptop.
>>
>>2631303
Literally nothing wrong with ego boosting. In fact most artist could use some of it. Each new painting is a fucking challenge, and when you're starting out on a new one I'm sure a lot of people could use looking at their latest work that they have hanging near by and be reassured that they can walk the whole way to the finished painting. What is wrong with that? I'd say it's absolutely necessary. And furthermore, why shouldn't people be proud of their accomplishments? Are you going to shame someone with an academy award for having it on display and not shoving it deep in a drawer?
You're drawing a line between two different matters. A person should be able to be proud of their own work and accomplishments and still be able to know their own shortcomings in their craft.
>>
It's right when your shit is good and its onlefew pieces
It's wrong when you suck and you wall is full of that shit
>>
File: images.jpg (15KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15KB, 270x187px
>>2631303
>a video showcasing her room

A video showcasing her work, Anon.

If I want to advertise my stuff on Youtube, it makes sense to put it on the walls instead of my cherished Dobson comics.

> Though it would be funny to have an inflatable blue bear behind me
>>
>>2631471
I don't think an Academy Award really compares to your own art. The award is not something you made but something you earned, so it makes sense to have it up to look at for motivation, but having lots of your pieces (and not the latest work, like you mentioned) up to look at because you love them so much and not because you're trying to learn from them seems almost detrimental. I do agree that artists could use some ego-boosting though.

>>2631929
No anon, she specifically intended it as a room tour video (this is where I work, this is where I sleep, look at my pretty furniture...), but her work was EVERYWHERE so it pretty much ended up being an art showcase.
>>
>>2631329
Sometimes you make work that, for whatever reason, is much better than your standard and stands the test of time. It can be inspiring to remind yourself what you're capable of, or of certain styles and techniques that you may want to revisit. Nothing wrong with liking your own work, but it's pretty strange if that's your only source of inspiration.
>>
>>2631373
Pretty much this- I need reminders that I'm capable of more than nothing. Also helps to have all my faults glaring at me everyday, it keeps me wanting to do better. I only have two up and acknowledge they could be way, way better.
>>
>>2632032
link the video ?
>>
>>2631303
I'm surrounded by my work. I like to keep unsold or unfinished projects visible to remind me what I'm doing. Sometimes I see things I never noticed before. I don't like to look at a lot of other artists' work in general, and keep it out of my studio. It stifles my creativity and only makes me feel like the world is too crowded. I display the few pieces made by friends in completely different rooms. If you're a novice, I don't see how great works up wouldn't be a constant reminder that you suck or at least subconsciously affect your direction. But I guess everyone's different. I've always gotten inspiration from within. Nobody gets to see my studio though. That would feel so rapey. A fucking youtube video? That's pretty vile. Unless you're some really famous old person being filmed for a documentary before you die, I don't think anybody wants to see that.

Hm. Sometimes we make things that are so true to our creative actualizations that it just gets our rocks off having 'em visible. And that's pretty neat. Whoring that out in video format is really weird. Narcissistic.
>>
>>2632146
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-xdtd_bu7M
>>
>>2631303
it was happy d wasnt it?
>>
>>2632202
See
>>2632196
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.