/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we suck because we are lazy?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

>In a recent Wall Street Journal article, Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior, Amy Chua gives the Chinese recipe for success. Ms. Chua is a professor at Yale Law School, so apparently the strategy worked with her; and the article contains a picture of her daughter playing piano at Carnegie Hall, so she seems to have implemented it effectively.

>Non-Asian Americans are not going to like the article. They may even view the kids as virtual prisoners in a labor camp--though they should be aware that the corresponding Chinese view is that Americans don't love their children enough to put in the kind of effort necessary for them to succeed in life.

>Ms. Chua writes that "studies indicate that compared to Western parents, Chinese parents spend approximately 10 times as long every day drilling academic activities with their children. By contrast, Western kids are more likely to participate in sports teams." And she provides the following list of things her daughters are never allowed to do:
>attend a sleepover
>have a playdate
>be in a school play
>complain about not being in a school play
>watch TV or play computer games
>choose their own extracurricular activities
>get any grade less than an A
>not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama
>play any instrument other than the piano or violin
>not play the piano or violin.

>Many Americans may not want to put in the time and effort, or develop the kinds of relationships with their children, that Ms. Chua recommends. Let us at least hope that those who are envious of Chinese kids' high IQs and academic achievement will give up the fantasy of special Asian genes for intelligence.

is she wrong?
>>
>>2630028
kids need to play, it is essential in their development.
>>
File: 1459854368348.jpg (65KB, 455x400px) Image search: [Google]
1459854368348.jpg
65KB, 455x400px
>>2630028
This method of parenting may produce successful and disciplined children, but it also explains the high rate of suicide in asian countries.
>>
>>2630028
Well I suck, and I'm lazy, guess it all lines up.
>>
Success and happiness are two wholly separate goals.

Making it won't make our problems go away.
>>
>>2630028
She's an extremist bitch though. Ideally you'd want to go somewhere in between. Don't let your kid grow up "naturally", you need to invoke some interests in them.
Kids have it much easier to learn new things as long as they're interested in them. If you want to create a Michelangelo, teach him from the beginning, make him actually want to pursue art, don't force him into it.
Look up the Polgar sisters. They've been taught chess at a very early age and they naturally wanted to play chess instead of watching TV because of their strong interest. Now they're all chess prodigies.
So of course you have it much easier if your parents taught and supported your hobby since you were a toddler, but you can still do it yourself.

Those requirements of that bitch sound absolutely awful and I feel bad for her kids.
>>
>>2630028
as one who received this treatment with my traditional chinese parents, all I can say is a big no.
>>
>>2630028
This produces very successful psychopaths
>>
>>2630028
>Chinese parents spend approximately 10 times as long every day drilling academic activities with their children.
good
>list of things her daughters are never allowed to do:
>>attend a sleepover
not good
>>have a playdate
not good
>>be in a school play
not good
>>complain about not being in a school play
not good
>>watch TV or play computer games
not good
>>choose their own extracurricular activities
not good
>>get any grade less than an A
good-ish
>>not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama
good-ish
>>play any instrument other than the piano or violin
good-ish
>>not play the piano or violin.
not good

as this anon said>>2630070 being in a extreme is not good. It's not good to let school take care of your kid's education like western parents do, but neighter is controlling 100% of their life

the first one teach them to be rebellious and lazy, but it has the advantage that it creates creative minds which look to improve things so that they can be lazy some more

the second one teach them to be concentrated and resourceful, but at the end of the day they will always need somebody to tell them what to do and stay in line, never creating something new and better (thu revolution, but they might thu evolution, if you don't know the difference and advantage of each one dictionary it)

you need to balance it, pay close attention to their education and get involved, but let them have free time and an unsurveillanted space, where they are boss on what they do
>>
>implying tests, grades, school, etc. measure anything besides arbitrary recall skills that don't matter after graduation
lol
>>
>>2630028
I have ran into these kids and there parents at various art studios in CA, for the most part they are good for there age but far from prodigies, and i think it's a sad way to live. i have a friend who is essentially a Master at Computer Science he has been studying it since he was like 4 not by choice of course and had won state rewards when he was like 10! however he doesn't like his well paying job. in fact he want's to be a concept artist go figure! but guess what even though he has made a lot of progress now that he is out of college and making his own money and what not. . he is still far behind the competition not that im not but the point is he hasn't been allowed or supported to wire himself that we were... same with my engineer friends they are basically background charcters doing important and necessary work but nobody cares about them or there craft there like the keeper creatures in mass effect they just exist to maintain and not create.. not talking about individuals but the jobs themselves a lot of the times. .

even with there skills and intellegince they don't think about to use it creatively just to maintain and follow orders.. . Chinese/ way of thought is subordinate to Americans.

the only reason china is on the rise is because Americans realized this and have taken advantage... duh!
>>
>>2630028
yeah but i bet i could beat the shit out of any of those little chinks

me: 1
chinese kids: 0
>>
>>2630028
Well, this parenting approach doesn't really seem to apply to chinese artists because entertainment art and even fine art would probably be deemed as even more useless as drama or sports by these parents. So by default, chinese artists must be coming from more relaxed households that allowed their kids to choose hobbies they themselves enjoy doing.
>>
>>2630087
>implying a dropout is as useful as someone who's entering college
lol
>>
>>2630138
In todays world, someone doing a decent blue collar apprenticeship is definitely more valueable to society and better off financially than about 90% of non-STEM college graduates.
>>
>>2630138
I have two degrees, bro
>>
>>2630028
I had parents like this, and I ended up at a top ten school in the US. I don't think it was worth it at all.

At least half of the people here (and this is a conservative estimate, imo) have some kind of neurosis. The university psychiatrist's office has never had fewer than 10 people at a time every time I visited (for depression), and all that people know to talk about (other than alcohol) is the "future" -- often entailing depressing and soulless intimations of getting into Wall St. so you can live "comfortably" while slaving away 80 hours each week the whole of your 20s (only the first 5-6 if you're good or lucky).

My entire life has been waffling between preparing for exams and wasting away in (retrospectively, utterly meaningless) anxiety over whether or not my GPA was "good enough" or doing things which I had absolutely no interest in only so that it would impress adcoms and thus please my parents. Only in the past year have I realized what a shitty, depressing, and soulless way to exist this was. My high school friends now at state uni might not have the same (abstract, intangible) notion of "job security" in the future, but they didn't waste the past 20 years for shit they didn't care about, and honestly I don't think they even have it that bad. At least they're not trying to make for lost time or worse, lost identity. I do art now as an extensive hobby, because I realized it was the only thing I ever enjoyed purely for myself over the last 20 odd years (my parents stamped this out early, of course: no art lessons whenever I asked, strict daily routines of math drills and other stereotypical Asian practices, of course to the exclusion of "the humanities"). But what a long, arduous, uncomfortable, and regrettable path it took to get here, to even identify that craft as my interest, let alone ability.
>>
>>2630153
In a way, working hard is all we have. But don't let it consume you, and don't forget there's more to life than financial security, a diploma, or, on the other hand, even art. Maybe Americans are lazy. Suggesting that we enforce the radical opposite is founded on nothing more than a slippery slope, a reactionary solution at best.

Remember: "And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
>>
>>2630028

Success and failure are equally meaningless in the face of eternity. Amy Chua is a dumb bitch who thinks these pathetic accomplish amount to anything in the face of her inevitable oblivion, and she tortures her children with her perverse values.

I used to work with maniacal energy, attempting to prove something to myself, until a few years ago I looked around and realized that I have nothing to prove to this bucket of chum we call a civilization. Who would want to succeed in this world? What's the reward?

Now I still do art, and work semi-professionally at it, but I know the truth. It doesn't matter. None of this matters. I'm just paying my rent with it.

I hope one of her kids force feeds her a violin.
>>
once you get to a competent/employable level, the only thing that will truly differentiate you from every other autistic renderwhore out there is the ability to put your self (i.e the the sum total of your ideas, feelings & experiences) into your work. if the totality of your life is grinding in one form or another towards 'success' as defined by someone else, it'll negatively effect your output imo.
>>
>>2630121
concept art is a dream job until you start doing conceprt art gigs

and this applies for everything else
>>
>>2630153
deep shit dude. But don't look back in anger. Where you are now is the only place you could have ended up. At least you didn't spend your youth slaving away in a factory in bumfuck nowhere China making zips for Westerners.

Loads of people have troubled youths, and for different reasons. What makes a person is overcoming that. You're free to do what you want now, and there's still plenty of time

no regrets
>>
File: a7KwpLe_460s.jpg (89KB, 460x574px) Image search: [Google]
a7KwpLe_460s.jpg
89KB, 460x574px
>>2630229
Yeah beginners romanticize art as a career way too much. It's hard work, it's not some fun self fulfilling bullshit and in most cases you're better off working a "regular" job and keeping art on the side.

Most professional artists I know (including myself) started off with this naive idea, but once they actually get work, it's just work and nothing else. They just don't have any better skills to make into employment and art is better than McDonalds
>>
Ah yes,the special kids who are virtually drilled by their parents.

She is right but effectively destroying her sons future.

>though they should be aware that the corresponding Chinese view is that Americans don't love their children enough to put in the kind of effort necessary for them to succeed in life.

I cant fanthom why these people think that academic success forced by parents will in the long run make their sons and daughters succesfull. I think we have all met people like this and can agree that some form of lack in social skills which is the MOST important part in ones path to success. Most important part in business and life in general is making connections after all.

From what I have seen and heard kids like this are also keep their standard in uni after they leave their parents.
>>
>>2630138
Well yes,drop outs can be successfull. Bill gates has a great quote on that.

>inb4 Bill gates doesnt count for some reason.
He is just the most known example among many.
>>
>>2630055
This. You need both. But that's not what the article was about.
>>
>>2630084
>but it has the advantage that it creates creative minds which look to improve things so that they can be lazy some more

Problem is they're too lazy to actually improve things.
>>
>>2630028
>is she wrong?

Trying to apply asian recipe for success to another country is bound to be less efficient. Not necessary unsuccessful, but unefficient. In modern company, teamwork and communication are very important.

Do you learn that by never playing in a team? I know a manager who learned his skills by managing a big guild in World of Warcraft: he told me that the WoW guild was actually harder to manage than his team, more drama, attentionwhoring and more dishonesty/abuse.

> Good luck learning that by never going outside and playing the piano.
>>
>>2630225
Under rated post. Grinding is like constantly buying new and new lego bricks, but at some point you need to stop and play (like drawing from imagination) to express yourself. Or you will have shelf full of default lego models built with manual

tldr; WORK HARD, PARTY HARDER
>>
>>2630272
Gates dropped out because he couldn't juggle running his own company and doing course work at the same time, not because he thought school was worthless. He went back and got his degree any way and besides, just because it worked for him doesn't mean its gonna work for everyone.
>>
>>2630028
Yeah that sounds awful. At least I had a childhood, suckers.
>>
>>2630259
see man that's my thing.

I just have no interest in pursuing anything other than a career in art. Nothing really caught my interest the same way art did.

People ask me why I'm not trying to be a lawyer or doctor sometimes, I can ask them the same question about why they arent pursuing art. Their shit sounds subjectively boring to me. It's like all my interests and strengths ultimately funnel back into an art related career.
>>
Oh and Mrs. Chau's husband is a gutless gobshite for not putting a stop to her emotional abuse and control freak bullshit. I hope they both die in a fire.
>>
She made this as a mockery of herself and strict chinesse mothers.

She did use these methods till her younger daughter was thirteen however

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704111504576059713528698754

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Hymn_of_the_Tiger_Mother
>>
for /jp/:

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoiku_mama
>>
>>2630032
[citation needed]
>>
>>2630842
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/10/the-joyful-illiterate-kindergartners-of-finland/408325/

Newsflash, different people learn in different ways. Physical activity keeps children at a healthy weight, helps them sleep at night, and is hugely important in developing spatial awareness and so on. I'm not saying children should be left to their own devices entirely, but they need to play.
>>
>>2630028
That just seems like a fucked up life philosophy. What kind of hellish life is worth living when you can't have any fun ever? No wonder the Asians have so high suicide count.
>>
>>2630871
>Finnish kindergartner
>Play(draw,make guns out of legos,look at donald duck comics)
>nap
>eat
>play at park
>get picked off

American kindergarten seems horrifying,almost all of my friends/companions learned to "read" at the end of first half of first grade.

Im horrified at what american kids have to go trough.
>>
>>2630651
That's a good way to think about it
>>
File: CRB-8.jpg (741KB, 1600x1233px) Image search: [Google]
CRB-8.jpg
741KB, 1600x1233px
TOP FIVE REASONS YOU SUCK
(Seriously these really are the reasons why you suck)

We all know that art requires discipline, patience, and fortitude. It is training of the mind, the eye, and the hand. Especially, in the mind most problems will occur.

1. Arrogant, stubborn, close-minded, autistic, etc. What ever you want to call it. The problem here is either a refusal or an inability to change your understanding, your perception of how art works. This also includes the attitude of either being too skeptical of new ideas or being too stubborn to let go of others.

2. You're dull, boring, lack good taste or don't have an eye for appreciation. The problem here is not being outside the box enough times to really get a good perspective on things. It's also means how your own ignorance about tradition, history, and form is preventing you from seeing the beautiful and useful things that you can use in your own art.

3. You really are dumb. This problem comes into fruition when the first two are at their peak. This problem is really about illiteracy of art. You're not expected to know everything, but knowing very little and expecting too much is a serious problem. There is a reason to everything you do in art.

4. You're blind to your most apparent faults. This problem is about actively ignoring the over all quality of your work. This may come from either an attitude of being too self forgiving or not really having a well enough trained eye to see, to understand where the problems are and why or how they are problems.

5. You're a quitter, you're lazy, you're really not serious enough about doing it. What ever your reason for doing art, they are not important bigger personal problems. What's behind the laziness is unrelated to the art. Motivation is key to improving.

This is what I see everyday on this imageboard. I can look at any anons works and can spot at least one of these problems. I don't even have to engage with them it is so apparent in the quality of work they do
>>
>>2630028
I'll save you the trouble of looking and let you know that she married a jew
>>
>>2630121
Holy shit dude learn some grammar and punctuation please
>>
File: 1470465646454.jpg (45KB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
1470465646454.jpg
45KB, 333x333px
>>2630028
>slave away 12 hours a day in school
>no fun
>no friends
>depressed and socially inept
>can't find girlfriend
>getting As in school gives you the opportunity to slave away 12 hours a day working in an office job in a company owned by a dropout
>kill yourself before 40
>no family or legacy to leave behind
>gee, thanks mom

Superior chinese mothers now beating cancer by killing their kids before the cancer can get them.
>>
File: 1467193823108.jpg (160KB, 2067x1602px) Image search: [Google]
1467193823108.jpg
160KB, 2067x1602px
>>2630028
This is coming from a country where all the main religions jerk themselves off on balance.

Jerking themselves off on grades and schools. Christ, you will have a better life working as a carpenter, marrying and having children. If you're smart with money you don't need to have the best paying job to do well, you save up capital then invest or start a business. If you're smart and work hard you don't need college education to get proficient in pretty much anything the college can offer. There is a literal physicist that did physics as a hobby and then started writing scientific articles and became a legit scientist. We can see artists can become great without college.

I mean, college can be good if you know you want to do that, but it's not the end all be all. It's not a 100% surefire way to successful and fulfilling life and working a manual job is not a shameful thing.
>>
>>2630028
coming from a mother who comes from a place where video related happens on a daily basis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IONko8qH4tA

I personally would be scared of having fun in chink land.
>>
>>2632663
>see a grown man mercilessly beat a small child
>better calmly walk up to him

I can't wrap my head around this. If it was my family 6 of them would have chased him down and beat him within an inch of his life- can honestly see some them killing the pig.
>>
>>2632680
Different culture, people don't realize how much difference culture makes because the media says all cultures are equally good. Retards say how america is violent and talk smack about guns but nobody in fucking texas or alaska would ever think of pulling shit like that because every third person around him would introduce him to the business end of their gun as soon as he took a swing at the kid.
>>
>>2632663
Fuck china.
>>
>>2632663
fuck this shit, I wish I was there to join beating that kid.
>>
>>2632663
the little shit deserved it
>>
>>2632716
I know American culture is corn syrupy country fried bullshit (texasfag here, you are right on that last bit) but we don't let 2 year olds get stomped on in broad daylight, that's something.
>>
>>2632663

These people aren't human.
>>
File: Finland-Flag.gif (13KB, 1800x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Finland-Flag.gif
13KB, 1800x1201px
>>2630028
No.
>>
>>2630871
>different people learn in different ways
[citation needed]

Honestly, I never believed this.
>>
>>2632785
Lmao why do you go think up the theory of evolution same as charles darwin did? Everyone learns the same right? You're obviously some kind of genius huh?
>>
>>2632788
what the fuck are you trying to tell me?
>>
>>2632790
Im gonna rephrase the previous anons statement. People of course can learn in the same way, but their compatability with methods of learning differs. The "learning styles" thing is right partially, people can learn in different ways, but whether the method would be as effective as another the problem. Say for example, a person who studies often with others would probably have more of a connection learning things audibly, instead of reading off of a paper, but i'm not stating that he couldn't study visually. It would be harder of course, but not by some unimaginable degree, the man would get used to visual learning eventually. Anyway im gonna wrap this up and say, everyone can't learn the same things in the same way but gradually someone could change the way they do learn, so everyones partially right.
>>
>>2632806
Oh shit i typed way to much, just read the bottom if TL;DR
>>
>>2630272
>>2630655

Bill Gates also had better access to information technology than his school did at the time, and grew up around computer engineers.

Dropping out of college isn't what caused his success, and the lesson shouldn't be that you'll be okay if you quit your education half way through. The lesson should be that if you have unprecedented access to something you plan to make a career of through family and/or family friends, and it's something that even the top schools in the US have limited access to for the time being, college probably isn't the best choice at that specific point in time.
>>
>>2632785
Yeah. If there was a thing like a page of some sort where people would gather together to learn stuff in different ways, where they would talk about what stuff work better for them. gee, I wonder where could there be such a thing.
>>
File: bigepiphany 2.jpg (265KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
bigepiphany 2.jpg
265KB, 2560x1440px
>>2632663
why?
>>
>>2632647
This. Honestly it does help them have a good work ethic but there's no room for fun. You need balance.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
>>2630028
>>not be the No. 1 student in every subject

The level at her school must be terrible if a kid can single out every other kid in every other subjects.

This way of thinking becomes funny if there are 3 or 4 tiger mums, because the Classroom is now like a Highlander movie, there can be only one.
>>
File: 1468696902685.jpg (567KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1468696902685.jpg
567KB, 1280x1707px
I don't know man..

It's all nice when they are super disciplined by age of 14 but i would tale some middle way when rising a kid.
It depend on parent.
It would break my heart if i would see 4-8 years old kid disciplined like a robot. I wouldn't go in other extreme neather by letting him do anything and everything.

In the end of a day, everyone should raise up their kids like THEY think it's right, like they thing it's best for them.

If one wants to raise up his kids like a robot, just because he will be able to make 2k $ per month by age 18, that's fine.
But if one feels his kids should have some healthy fun too, then ignore how others raise theirs.

I know few people who were raised up like a robots. And despite the fact they make some big money now, they would never choose to be raised like this again.

Childhood is important part of growing up and it should keep serving the same purpose as it is in thousands years revolution of human.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.