[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is drawing really a skill that can be taught? Have you guys

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: e80.jpg (93KB, 644x1010px) Image search: [Google]
e80.jpg
93KB, 644x1010px
Is drawing really a skill that can be taught?

Have you guys seen the horrible progress made by people on deviant art?

Do some people have a limited genetic capacity to how good they can become?
>>
File: 1427840144492.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1427840144492.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
I guarantee you if you took one of those people you're talking about and introduce them to Loomis (or something with a fundamentally sound learning structure), they'd reject it immediately.

You get out what you put into it. These people can learn - anyone can. They just don't want to.
>>
>>2624304
The problem of those deviantart shitters is that they get stuck in some own comfort zone and stop trying to improve.

You won't get better if you don't try to get better.
>>
File: even-amundsen-19-gaudri.jpg (618KB, 1920x1530px) Image search: [Google]
even-amundsen-19-gaudri.jpg
618KB, 1920x1530px
This guy probably draws casually and spends 2 or less hours on art not even every day (most likely he also took big breaks), so this seems like a proper progress for that dedication.

>Do some people have a limited genetic capacity to how good they can become?
Yep, it's called how many hours a day are you willing to spend on improving and how consistent are you with it. Also not staying in the comfort zone and constantly trying new things.
>>
>>2624304

Even if we toss out the the issue of IQ, not everyone will really want to get good and also have the capacity and work ethic to get there. There's really no excuse with the Internet not to be aware of resources like Loomis. If you're interested in improvement and seeking answers then you'll find them. It's not hard. The hard part is really wanting the goal and putting in the work, and not everyone can do that.

If it really were true that anyone could get good then it'd be evident online. But we don't have dozens or hundreds of Jaime Jones and Wes Burts.
>>
it's because they never draw
>>
>>2624304
A lot of people like that only draw with they're "inspired" so in the end they'll make maybe 4-5 drawings a year if that. If they actually put effort into identifying their flaws and improving on a daily basis most of them would improve.
>>
>>2624316
this.

Even draws 13 hours a day for example

>he works at a studio for 8-9 hours
>does the daily sketch
>studies in the morning
>studies at night
>reads a fuckton of books.

feng zhu actually did 16 hours a day of studies for a long time, which is common for many chinese painters/ japanese illustrators.

>if anyone sucks at art, it's because they don't study.

Maciej and Shaddy had a talk about working hard vs. smart.
The reason a good artist can redraw something they made, and have it look infinitely better, is because they have the knowledge to do so.
it only takes few days of drills to master muscle control An artists "skill" is based off of the practical knowledge they acquired from studying and practicing everything. (anatomy, what to add and take away, what looks right and wrong, lighting, perspective, proportion, rendering, etc.)

if you say you have no time to learn something, and you sleep 8 hours, you are lying to yourself.
improvement in anything is based on how many failures you've learned from.
>>
I've seen a few people start to draw and become amazing in a manner of months while others spend years and are still garbage. Just something still hasnt "clicked" for them. Everyone can learn to draw, but not everyone can learn to draw well. It's a genetics thing and we shouldn't be ashamed by our limits.
>>
>>2625740
Honestly you're insulting the people that got good really fast by working retardedly hard and probably almost losing their sanity from it.

Ignore anybody that thinks it's genetics. Genes only take you so far; planning ahead (i.e. making a schedule), having resources (easy to find, there's tons of shit for learning every specific thing in many different ways), gathering ref for your ideas (ideas you should write down and ask questions on, e.g. what kind of enviro will be this be or what kind of pose is this or what era is this in etc.), drawing/painting from life (especially still life), doing studies, learning and utilize fundamentals (perspective, proportions, basic forms, lighting physics, thumbnails, composition, value, 2d measuring checks, etc.) not being afraid to "cheat" (don't be afraid to use perspective grids, or check your lines against the ref, or color pick to check your value/color, etc. as long as it's not a crutch), not being afraid to "mimic" (maybe not copy pros, but analyzing what they do and trying to do it 'their' wayand utilizing thumb ideas etc. isn't any issue, don't reinvent the wheel) and sheer willpower are what make you good.
>>
>>2625752
Also, honestly, your attitude is what matters the most out of anything. If you think you'll fail and it's genes, you're way more likely to fail.
>>
It's mostly about confidence, concentration, attitude and personality.

The same people that are good at drawing are the same sort of people that do really well in sports, videogames etc

I draw for like 1 hour once a week, for a few months, and i've already surpassed most "great" artists, who practice daily.

Some people here practice for many hours a day and they're still shit.

You either have a good brain that can pick things up quick, or you dont.

Some people are also overly critical of their work which inspires them to do much better.
>>
>>2625752

Nah, some people just dont have it. Their brains dont work as fast. Maybe its upbringing or just the way they were born.

You can see this in the real world too. Just look at the different people doing different jobs. Some people become multi millionaires, others sit at home and take pills for "anxiety".

I've worked with people in fast food who still don't know how to operate the till, even though they've been there for 6 years.
>>
>>2625762
>I draw for like 1 hour once a week, for a few months, and i've already surpassed most "great" artists, who practice daily.
>>
>>2625762
>I draw for like 1 hour once a week, for a few months, and i've already surpassed most "great" artists, who practice daily.

You know what you have to do. (post work)
>>
>>2625762
>>2625766
I hate to say it but this is apart of the reason why /ic/ is toxic. Everybody is overly critical, sometimes duplicitious like this guy (I highly doubt this anon is pro by doing one hour a week, that's just ridiculous, troll-level shit) and defeatist. Everybody is "you can't" and always looking for what to hate on instead of being positive. Yes it's good to critique to improve but a lot of /ic/ just constantly puts people down and they overthink which turns into threads like this. So many stupid fucking threads all about projecting your anger onto random art that doesn't matter.

Now onto your responding to what you've said- Holy shit, where do I start? Every success story you hear, every teacher who tells you how to become a master of something (like Mastery by George Leonard, recommended by Jeffrey Watts), 99% of the time these people are not prodigies and they're hard-working at whatever they want to be good at to the point of it being insane. Upcoming sports players, martial art students, musicians, they get up and they start practicing their fundamentals, focusing on building stengths into weaknesses, work for hours and hours and hours constantly trying and trying, and they never stop at least a bit of that momentum even when they get super good. I've talked to many professional artists and they're no different. It's about working really hard, 6-10 a day if you're trying to get to a pro level and not maintain, and working smart. It's not about genes.
>>
File: women-laughing-and-having-fun.jpg (60KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
women-laughing-and-having-fun.jpg
60KB, 600x399px
>>2625796

> wahh teh toxic meanie said teh scary words ;_; abloo bloo
>>
>>2625839
not an argument
>>
>>2625845

> wahh ur meanie and critical and toxic!! ;_;

not an argument
>>
>>2624304
If you think it's genetics then you're not gonna make it
>>
>>2625839
Way to prove his point.
>>2625848
Did it again.

>If you can't take my shitposting, then you're not going to make it.
If you want to be taken seriously like a fucking adult, then you're not going to make it by shitposting on /ic/. I doubt you have a job otherwise doing what your doing would get your boss to fire your fucked ass. A business of people that need to work together to improve production will NOT tolerate shit like how 90% of fuckers on /ic/ act. Children. Grow up and act like actual "teachers" since that's what all of you fuckers try to be, pertaining to this thread.
>>
>>2624304
don't see what's wrong with that. There's pretty noticeable improvement there over just 3 years, especially if the artist only works part time. OP confirmed for not knowing how long it takes to get good at something.
>>
>>2625762
>i am t3h K1NG Of t3h Artz lolzz!!!!!
>>
It's the old nature vs. nurture debate. Every skill can be improved, but the rate at which you improve is dependent on what you're learning and your discipline/willpower. Willpower can be trained, but many people like to ignore the genetic aspect completely. Genetics definitely influence your intelligence, willpower, even your general mood. Your childhood and education is important too. Why are so many people in the industry asian? Because discipline plays an important role in asian upbringing. This either results in discipline and good habits or, in many cases, suicide.

A healthy mind is almost always a prerequisite for success. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. Maybe you won't reach the top of the ladder, but you can still improve.
>>
>>2625768
>dunning-kruger: the post
>>
File: moe.jpg (22KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
moe.jpg
22KB, 500x377px
>>2625762
Jesus christ this has to be bait
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.