[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What type of sketchbooks does /ic/ like to use? The large bristol

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

What type of sketchbooks does /ic/ like to use? The large bristol paper I grabbed from Hobby Lobby has shit binding.
>>
i like canson
>>
>>2623606
Printer paper aka copy paper
>>
What ever I find that is both large and cheap
>>
>>2623606
Buy whatever paper you want and make your own. I use the Staples Arc system, ugly af and the hole punch is expensive, but it's effortless compared to binding sketchbooks and you can take out / move around / add pages at will.
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 800x1066px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 800x1066px
>>2623606
I've got various sizes and types for different occasions.

8.5X11 sketchbook when I'm out and about/drawing at home.

Mini 5.5X4 sketchbook when I go to work to draw in on my lunch breaks. (Pic related)

I also have a sketchwallet for when I go out with non-art friends and doodle at restaurants and bars, or on the train.
>>
>>2623606
I use a daler rowney ivory a4 sketchbook for charcoal sketches/inking and bigger pieces.

Otherwise I'm currently using the Leuchturm 1917 dotted a5 sketchbook for pen drawings and smaller sketches on the go. It's got really thin pages though, so can only use one side.

I've also got an a6 Moleskine weekly diary that I use if I haven't got anything at hand.
>>
>>2623606
Pic related when I'm out + an A6 sketchbook for practicing linestrokes, ellipses and such. Don't buy a hardcover, it won't feel right to be messy and you need to be messy when practicing.

When at home, just buy a big roll of wrapping/newsprint paper.
>>
>>2623606
When I have a good idea I want to develop I use whatever books my friends and family gave me as gifts. When I'm just practicing or studying I use $1 composition books so I don't feel like I'm wasting paper if I'm messy.
>>
File: legalct.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
legalct.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
do any of you even lift
>>
File: 300lb.jpg (135KB, 906x1200px) Image search: [Google]
300lb.jpg
135KB, 906x1200px
>>2624045
300lb cold press erry day niqqa.
>>
>>2624045
I wish I had a picture of my huge stash of copy paper. I've had this stash for 15 years and it's nowhere near running out.
My dad brought home a bunch from work when they were clearing out an office building. This stash even survived a fire and flood. It's out in my shed right now.
>>
Studies: printer paper/recycled paper, I like to throw these to the trash so I don't feel ashamed later when looking at them
More serious stuff: Canson sketchbook.

I don't really carry a sketchbook all the time, I should but I don't so I don't really know what kind of small sketchbook would I qualify as "Daily Journal", I have seen some cheap canson ones but they're not hardcover so I will think on it.

/blog
>>
File: cansonXL.jpg (50KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cansonXL.jpg
50KB, 400x400px
Canson XL Sketchbook. my personal best.
>>
square medium black spiral bound w/smooth white recycled sheets, each page about as bendable as construction paper. i've tried many different types over the long years and have settled on this. i love them. they're also very inexpensive. when i work in photoshop i naturally tend towards using a similar canvas size and dimensions. i like to work in squares because this allows me to easily end up working either horizontally or vertically, it gives me the most freedom of space in which to branch out into without hitting an edge. its size is also perfect. not so large that it's daunting, and anything i do gets lost in the page, and not so small that i am cramped for space. it feels a luxurious amount of room to stretch out in without feeling either constricted or lost and overwhelmed (were it larger.)
>>
>>2624497
>sister bought one of these for my birthday two years ago
>still in my drawer
>haven't drawn in it at all
I'm a goddamn disappointment
>>
File: AXdzTab.jpg (289KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
AXdzTab.jpg
289KB, 800x800px
>>2623606
I try a new sketchbook every time I finish one.
This one is my favourite so far: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ZU5DVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
80gsm papers are good enough for me. But 200gsm papers are okay
>>
bee super deluxe & canson xl mixed media. 2bh i still like to try out other brands of sketch/drawing bads when i am able to do so
>>
>>2624560
that perspective
>>
>>2624154
you know what that means right? it's meant to survive for you to use it all for drawing
>>
i've taken a liking to binding my own sketchbooks recently. i pick good quality paper of different kinds, like thick coloured paper and watercolour paper, bind it all together, add a cover and start drawing. comes out cheaper than a store bought one and usually better quality paper as well.
>>
>>2626098

This is best strat. I've taken to doing small pads of 5.5 x 8.5 in. card stock (cheap letter size cut in half), bound by hot glue so that pages can be removed and scanned easily.
>>
Whats a good sketchbook that doesnt smudge so fuckin easily like the one im using right now.
>>
Strathmore 500 series, got it for like 20 bucks at blicks. pretty good paper, easy to carry around, barely anything bleeds through it either.
>>
I like those big ass news print pads and large spiral bound sketch books. None of those keep well, but once the paper is used I throw them away.

I imagine that those tightly bound hard back books keep great but I hate having to draw in them. The binding always bends the page towards the center and the other side wants to flap over in the wind.
>>
>>2623606
I use the Moleskine landscape watercolor journals because they have nice durable paper for when I feel like experimenting with mediums other than pencil and ink, and because of the horizontal orientation it's easier on my hand since I'm left handed as well.
>>
Some $2 sketchbook I found at a local store.
Sh-should I not? Is there anything special I need in a sketchbook?
>>
Is it detrimental to use lined notebook paper?
>>
>>2623606
Canson, any
>>
File: m002060463_sc7.jpg (20KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
m002060463_sc7.jpg
20KB, 380x380px
> Notebook : 2 $
> Pencils and pen : 3$

> Costs me 5$ per month to enjoy my hobby

Why do you guys still waste money on 10 - 100$ sketchbooks ?
>>
>>2627246
>hobby
There's your answer.
>>
>>2627246
>lined paper
>>
>>2627246
Why do people like nice things?
>>
>>2623606
I'm set with my Moleskine art plus sketchbook. I found out the hard way that their regular notebooks have shit paper.
>>
>>2626277
As long as you are comfortable and happy with what you have to sketch out your art then it really doesn't matter.

What mediums do you usually use?
>>
File: BCA_Garrison_02.jpg (219KB, 1315x1600px) Image search: [Google]
BCA_Garrison_02.jpg
219KB, 1315x1600px
>>2627254
You're on /ic/, you don't dare saying you do this professionally
>>2627258
Yeah, it's a sketchbook.. What's the matter ? Ink still goes over the pale blue lines
>>2627321
Spending too much money on something that does the same thing as something that cost nothing =/= buying "nice things"
>>
>>2627430
see the difference between you and joe madurererere is that he doesnt draw on lined paper
>>
>>2627246
Lined paper is a waste and obnoxious. Why get pinter paper and put a clip on it? It's just as cheap if not cheaper
>>
>>2623637
This
>>
>>2627254
Holy fucking wew, lad!
Get a load of this guy thinking drawing is more than just a hobby for him!
>>
The binding's pretty shit and it's not really intended for use as a sketchbook but I've been sticking to Borden and Reilly's Bond Paper for a couple years now. Holds different mediums fairly well but I can't really advise drawing on both sides due to the transparency. The tooth of it just gels really well with me.
>>
I've been using a moleskine art plus 5x8.25. It's an overpriced meme, but having a nice sketchbook makes me focus more on quality and consistency (OCD). I use loose bristol printer paper for everything else.
>>
>>2627430
Do you apply this logic of "buy only the cheapest shit available because they do the same thing" to other aspects of your life? What a ridiculous argument.
>>
>>2623606
i buy a $30 roll of (sketchbook) paper and museum board for hard cover, and make them bindin ;-;
>>
File: 71IOD9GW32L._SL1500_[1].jpg (133KB, 1500x945px) Image search: [Google]
71IOD9GW32L._SL1500_[1].jpg
133KB, 1500x945px
>>2626100
similar, but I just bought a little clipboard for holding the halves instead of hot glue.
https://www.amazon.com/Saunders-Aluminum-Clipboard-Measures-00213/dp/B001BQR4T2/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1470443561&sr=1-1&keywords=small+clipboard+with+storage&refinements=p_n_location_browse-bin%3A6004141011
so sorry, tried to shorten, but 4chan thought it was spam
hold a pen sideways inside perfectly. I currently carry my staedtler pigment pens with 10 half sheets and some work supplies.
>>
I havent gotten a sketchbook in such a long time because i feel like a faggot like im not good enough to show other that im serious about drawing so i just draw in my notebooks so i can just say shit like "yeah its just a doodle idc"
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.