[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ic/, I was sketching a new character for a game called unreal

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

File: scrapper.png (395KB, 504x1216px) Image search: [Google]
scrapper.png
395KB, 504x1216px
Hey /ic/, I was sketching a new character for a game called unreal tournament 4. Basically, anyone can submit ideas for weapons, maps, and characters.

It's an arena shooter, so it can have some sillier characters. I wanted to make a character with blender that is a sentient AI built from scrap metal.

However, the sketch you see is too cartoony. I wanted to keep the spirit of the character, while reducing his cartoony features. I think the biggest offenders are his head size, neck size, and upper chest area all relative to each other.

Also, his eyes are too big and too 'squarish'. I wanted to know if you guys had any tips and suggestions on how to make him less cartoony.
One thing I was playing with is the shape of the eyes. I think they need to be thinner, but I don't know if it's better to have them upright or horizontal. I think the horizontal ones look craftier, and the upright ones look like he's more mad

thoughts?
>>
>>2622457
> warosu.org/ic/thread/2538165#p2539822
> jaimetreadwell.com/basic_sketching-for the industrial designer.pdf
> vkDOTcomSLASHdoc4043932_145867203 (50 robots to draw and paint)
>>
>>2622464
the last one is missing, and I'll read the pdf for sure, and I think it's right that I did too much detail.

I did like the little add-on heart electronic, and I like the rivets that holds his chest together. Perhaps the left shoulder pad is too big as well.
>>
File: less cartoony.png (762KB, 861x434px) Image search: [Google]
less cartoony.png
762KB, 861x434px
does the second one look less cartoony?
>>
interesting design

imagine how good it would look if you actually knew how to draw
>>
>>2622869
/thread
>>
The reason he is looking cartoony is because he is really simplified. He needs better detailing. What i think would bee neat is if he had really high/realistic details and shading but his face-screen and heart-screen looked old school digital.
>>
>>2622457
>Hey /ic/, I was sketching a new character for a game called unreal tournament 4. Basically, anyone can submit ideas for weapons, maps, and characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3YWMlbMvXk
>>
>>2622457
yall niggers need loomis.
>>
>>2623198
Maybe if I was actually a good artist who was fantastic at drawing I would be concerned. But at this point I want to create something good and also practice at the same time, there's no point in me withholding my bumfuck doodle from a community-driven game saying, "until I get a big fat check you can't use my OC"

I'm at the point where I'm just trying to give something creative for my friends to play with and also increase my own skills. I am no where near the point of being a good artist, so I think it's a bit arrogant of me to withhold my content when it's so bad that no one really gives a shit about it.

>>2623193
I think the proportions are very child like. Even dwarves and midgets have their proportions that set them apart from children.

>>2622869
>>2623180
I don't get this. The point of the thread is, "I'm garbage and was wondering if anyone can give feedback"

and your response is, "btw your garbage, /thread"

the whole point of this board is to critique. What are you attempting to gain by insulting someone who has already admitted that they're bad and trying to get better? Is it because you need to insult others to feel good about your own capabilities?
>>
>>2623225
>>2623193

That has nothing to do with anything I said. I didnt talk about his proportions i said he needs more detail.

Also why tf are you whining about people picking on you and calling your art garbage? You need a thicker skin anon, you sound like youre 12.
>>
>>2623245
Because I want to get better, but I'm given useless 'feedback' by people who are too insecure about their own art that they have to bash others
>>
>>2623245
>>2623252
let me clarify: I'm not upset someone thinks my pic is garbage. I know it's garbage. That's why I posted it on the artwork critique board, you colossal retard.

And you have the gall to say I'M the one who needs thicker skin?
Why don't you tell that to the retards who have to bash other people's work because they're too insecure about their own?
I posted this garbage so I could get feedback on what I was doing wrong.
Saying, "lol its garbage ////thread" is pure, unadultered cancer.

Everyone knows its garbage. That's WHY I POSTED IT. And then I get accused of being thin-skinned by pissants who have such a lack of self worth, that they have to go and attack others

drink bleach
>>
>>2623262
give up u do not have the spark
>>
File: 1464166427880.jpg (176KB, 568x543px) Image search: [Google]
1464166427880.jpg
176KB, 568x543px
>>2623262
>being this triggered
>having this thin of a skin
>on 4chan

it's past your bedtime, my dude
>>
File: mech_jp_copy.jpg (367KB, 1920x1567px) Image search: [Google]
mech_jp_copy.jpg
367KB, 1920x1567px
>>2622457
You seem to be at a misunderstanding here. Which is okay.

Yeah, it's trash and you acknowledge it's trash. Other posters are more or less unhelpful and it's because they're skirting around the fact that you should not be drawing mechs or whatever the fuck you're doing now. You have absolutely no understanding of the fundamentals which makes your shit look like it was drawn by a 10 year old on deviantart (easy pickings for trolls etc) and you're putting so much emphasis on meaningless details when the basic form of what you're going for isn't even undefined. It's non-existant.

I'll give you your first piece of real advice. Read the sticky and familiarize yourself with the fundamentals. It's going to take months, if not a year or so.

You want your drawings to look like pic related and it isn't right now. So put your dick to the grindstone and start grinding.
>>
>>2623272
>you want your drawings to look like pic related

That's barely better than the picture OP posted-if at all.

holy shit lol
>>
File: all_t_bots_2_1200.jpg (159KB, 1024x529px) Image search: [Google]
all_t_bots_2_1200.jpg
159KB, 1024x529px
>>2623282
now that i look at it yeah i could ahve chosen a better pic but he'll get the point. maybe this. based scott

then again his shit is super stylized
>>
File: bot3.png (547KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bot3.png
547KB, 1280x720px
I know the game OP's talking about. For comparison here's the game's designer's recent concept on the robots they're going to add to the game.
>>
>>2622464
>the last one is missing
u cereal
>>
File: doug.png (791KB, 1058x626px) Image search: [Google]
doug.png
791KB, 1058x626px
OP here, I really like doug tennapels art and I would like to be good at what he's good at
>>
File: robot3.png (447KB, 637x483px) Image search: [Google]
robot3.png
447KB, 637x483px
Made adjustments to the top half, thoughts?
>>
>>2625642
forgot to mention that this is a model I'm trying to sketch before I start modeling it in blender, that probably adds some much needed context
>>
>>2625642
everything about this is fuckin flat, get your head out of your ass and take some critique/advice for once

learn to god damn draw so you don't look like an 8-year old
>>
File: recoil arm.png (2MB, 1332x1258px) Image search: [Google]
recoil arm.png
2MB, 1332x1258px
His right arm is supposed to absorb recoil from a weapon discharging, if it's confusing what's going on with his right arm I apologize. I think this shows it better
>>
>>2625650
I'm not saying I don't need a lot of the basics, but for this project I'm a bit short on time and wanted to get the idea down before I make a 3D model
>>
L O O M I S
O
O
M
I
S
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.