[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do some of you determine your subject matter? To some, I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Barbarian+Hill+mainpage.jpg (399KB, 900x624px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian+Hill+mainpage.jpg
399KB, 900x624px
How do some of you determine your subject matter? To some, I feel that it comes pretty easy to them as they have a lot on their minds. But for me, all I can ever think of is "Knight fighting Dragon" or "Space marine in a dark space ship"
When I look at my favorite artists, such as Karl Kopinski or Jaime Jones, they usually have images like pic related. I don't think they sit down and say, "I'm going to draw some barbarians on horses looking over a hill at sunset." I feel like there's some sort of process that goes behind imagemaking (especially fantasy artworks) or some brief that a company provides.

Do some of you have a process on how you decide what type of work to do? It seems that all I can really do are "studies" of human figures in space. And while I have made illustrations, I don't feel super attached to them content wise.

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, but hopefully some of you can shine some light.
>>
It's deceptively simple, actually. Just sit down and do 30 thumbnails in very limited values of any random idea that pops into your mind. You're guaranteed to hit on something that intrigues you; do a bunch more of that subject from different perspectives, different light, etc.

Planning is the difference between an amateur and a pro. Well, that and not sucking.
>>
Jaime Jones has a process video for that pick you attached somewhere...I saw it awhile ago, can't remember where. He just started throwing random shapes onto the canvas and working them into the image.
>>
That subject sucks. Most subjects are shit, and you're here trying to figure out how people come up with shit subjects as if it's an accomplishment.
>>
This is gonna seem ranty and unorganized but im like gonna give you my thought process straight out as it comes out..

I just like to look at stuff thats not JUST concept art and then use that as inspo to make concept art.look at concept art reference at the very end, not at the beginning.

So im like ok i wanna paint. What should I paint? I'll go on my tumblr and find something that interests me.. Maybe its fashion like some sexy girl in a cool pose wearing some ridiculous shirt, and then I find some gothic cathedral from an architecture blog. So now I have a sexy girl in a cathedral, and maybe my first idea for this subject matter ive defined is some typical BS sci fi sorcery witch. I go on artstation and see some guns and cars and maybe other jaime jones paintings and im like wait, what if its not a sci fi sorceror and shes actually like a soul eater but I just saw this movie Troy and its dope that they took this biblical thing and tried to show it in "realistic" terms with no gods.. So what if instead of eating souls shes a cannibal and the gothic cathedral is just like this altar for her prey and so you have this crazy head cannibal in the middle of a dope cathedral and theres a ring of cloaked figures and theres a body on a slab. The blood can be used to lead the eye and its just this dark gritty thing. I like that, maybe ill go on tumblr again. Maybe I find a painting from the baroque period that is all dark and kind of fits my mood but then they just draw some super contrasty elements, so maybe my lead sexy cannibal can have a golden helmet. I just saw a painting of a bunch of angels, what if shes an angel? What if shes actually receiving an offering instead of the cannibal?

I try to paint it with the same feel and style of jaime jones if thats my thing, but ive just went through this whole random process and ended up with an angel with a golden headdress being offered a young girl as a sacrifice in a cathedral.
>>
File: Heros_Square.jpg (102KB, 396x609px) Image search: [Google]
Heros_Square.jpg
102KB, 396x609px
>>2621871
I agree with the gist of >>2621896

This Jaime Jones image was probably inspired by Hero's Square in Budapest. That was probably the initial spark. He saw it in person or in photos and thought gee, that looks cool. Yoink!

My sister travels around buying and reselling vintage clothing. I saw her post a picture on Instagram of a hat from the 30s she found somewhere. I've never seen anything like it. It looks cool. Now I'm building a character and world around it.

Get inspired by things not directly related to fantasy art. It will serve as a jumping off point for your imagination and also help prevent things from looking too inbred like a lot of concept/fantasy art.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.