[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: Why does /ic/ do art when it's so much

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Serious question: Why does /ic/ do art when it's so much more labor-intensive than all the other forms of media?

>Chekhov writes a fuckton of short stories every year while being a doctor
>Nolan films Memento in a few weeks
>Burial produces Untrue from scratch in just over a month

Of course these are oversimplifying it, but you get the idea. Also I know you fags will be eager to say these "aren't art" or something equally retarded but I think we can agree that these aren't nothing at all, given the critical and popular acclaim - at large - these artists have received.
>>
Chekhov wants to write stories.
Nolan wants to direct movies.
Burial wants to do music.

And I want to fucking draw.

Are you fucking retarded or something? What kind of question even is that?
>>
>>2620474
It's not a dumb question. Take your aggression out on a pillow you dumb bitch. Not even the op just in case you say I am.
>>
>>2620461
>Nolan films Memento in a few weeks
That's just the filming part. Development started as early as 1996 for 'Memento'. Who knows how many total hours were put into concept-wring, script building, storyboarding, location scouting, casting, acting, directing, editing, sound mixing, music production, etc.?

For filmmaking as a whole, I'd consider it the most labor-intensive art, even though it isn't generally a one-man product. Animation, in particular, is brutal in terms of workload and physically taxing.

But to get to your point, personally I like doing art because it's the most visual in getting ideas across and was much more accessible to me as a kid. Not many people have had access to equipment that lets them start making home movies or producing music in their formative years. Writing is more peculiar.

Plus as >>2620474 puts it, I like drawing.
>>
>>2620474
this
>>
>>2620461
>why do people do what they want even if it's difficult?
>>2620476
It is a dumb question.
>>
every skill needs time and work, dont be a fool.
>>2620474
tis
>>
Out of the visual arts, besides memes like performance, painting is the least labor-intensive sans photography

Sculpting, animation, ceramic, even design, a finished project may take weeks or months
>>
>>2620474
/thread

>>2620476
>Not even the op just in case you say I am.
You're just a retard then.
>>
>>2620461
You sure heard the one about grass being greener on the other side. There's no such things as effortless art, don't be fooled, no matter the medium you have to work your ass off if you want to make something worth anything. It's just that it seems easier the less you know about what's going behind the scenes.
There are paintings that took literal years to create and the ones that were made in mere hours. But behind all of them (or the ones that can be considered good to be more precise) there's thousands of hours of practise, sweat, tears and all that jazz. And the same goes for books/movies/music/plays/video games/dance performances and so on so on. As a mere observer you see only the final result, so you really can't give a solid judgment unless you've tried it yourself
also >>2620474
If you pick your passion based on how easy it is you really doing it for all wrong reasons
>>
>>2621888
>there's thousands of hours of practise, sweat, tears and all that jazz.

At first glance I thought you said practise, sweat, tears and jizz, which'd be appropriate for /ic/.
>>
>>2620480
Not to mention it was based on a short story.
>>
>>2620535
I was only pretending to be retarded, retard.
>>
OP, you should read about Nolan's first feature "Following". Dude didn't have any luxuries at all.

http://www.mentorless.com/2013/12/30/34-things-christopher-nolan-shared-about-making-his-first-feature-film/

He even said in some documentary that with each screening on tour they had a donation box in order to secure funds for his next film.
>>
>>2623601
Yeah, I think what I meant to point out was:

Visual art (the representational kind /ic/ does) has much more objective standards of skill, which from the looks of it can take 5+ years to get good enough to sell well (excluding smut or fanshit).

I just thought it was curious how guys like Avicii can crank out a tune in FL in under an hour that gets like 10 million hits. His songs aren't anything special, but that's easier to achieve than a passable portrait by even layman standards. After all, different standards for each medium -- visual art's is just high as fuck...
>>
>>2623648
not really, as many have already said so far in this thread, even if avicii (or any other musical artist) makes a song in under an hour, it's the thousand of hours they've put in before that that allows them to make something like that very quickly, it applies to any field of creation
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.