[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey guys, i have no idea how to draw whatsoever and dont really

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

hey guys, i have no idea how to draw whatsoever and dont really care to learn. however i have taken it upon myself to have appreciation of all types of art, static art included. is there like an /ic/ essentials or something?
>>
What do you mean an /ic/ essentials? Essentials for what? Do you want to learn how to draw??
>>
>>2620962
I think he wants to read up on art and art movements, essential painters and artist
>>
>>2620962
no i dont want to learn how to draw

im talkin like the /mu/ essentials. i want to know ABOUT art, not necessarily how to create it.
>>
>>2620966
this is exactly it :)
>>
>>2620969
Okay so you want to analyze how art is created and artists?
>>
>>2620970
well not necessarily how its created but that could be cool. more like knowledge on art movements and influential artists would be great. static art is the one area of art i largely ignored, and its time for that to stop.
>>
It's a bit anachronic to read art history as a series of things that developed into other things like, say, religion or royal lineages. Just think of this as a chronological order:

A bit of background, middle ages and before the notion of 'art' had almost nothing to do with today's. The greek for example thought their -amazing- sculptures were just mild stuff, almost like a cup or a vase. Most of their works were anonymous too. Painting was also seen as low, artisan stuff.

Renaissance: First time we get this notion of art that's not so related with artisan, so to say, it became 'mainstream' to actually be an artist. The TMNT, Durer, etc. Development of chiaroscuro, first attempts at perspective.

Baroque: Starting to push aesthetics further with (probably excesive) ornaments, it's characteristic to have works full of stuff. New technologies help them achieve more realistic paintings and there's new limits to what can be achieved with light and detail. Caravaggio, Vermeer, Velazquez, Rembrandt, Rubens, and many others.

Fuck there's so much stuff that I think about it. Rococo, Neoclassic, Romanticists, pre-Impressionism, Impressionism, Expressionism, Vanguards, Pop Art, post-modern, Contemporary and today

Most of those were developed as a response to the stabilishment, and then became part of it. Nowadays people look back and think as baroque, romanticist or neoclassic all the same, but romanticists were shunned by the academia at the moment, impressionists also were and so

If you're interested in painting, the best of the best ranged from early 1800s to the end of the vanguards. Even in this era of social networking, globalization and so, I don't think there'll be so much talent born at the same time who will push things so far ahead

Also check some sculptors from those movements too, my fav will forever and always be Rodin
>>
>>2620223
It's about aesthetics, but there are good resources on art and art history here: https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S8214384 (see the doc)
>>
>>2620988
thank you so much!
>>
>>2620993
>https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S8214384
ill be checking this out as well :)
>>
There's a lecture playlist by Yale up on youtube on history painting, which is informative.

Though I think it's better to go to source, and for a lot of it you'd have to read up on ancient texts that have little to do with the actual painting or sculpture. The ancients were highly influential, especially Ovid.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.