[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we have any concept artists/art directors here? How did you

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Lucian-Freud_Self-Portrait.jpg (1MB, 1872x2117px) Image search: [Google]
Lucian-Freud_Self-Portrait.jpg
1MB, 1872x2117px
Do we have any concept artists/art directors here?

How did you achieve it? Was it because you had skill, because you fought for it, or because you just knew the right person?
>>
File: pycargue à tête blanche.jpg (835KB, 1092x1101px) Image search: [Google]
pycargue à tête blanche.jpg
835KB, 1092x1101px
>>2619421
I'm a concept artist in mobile games and it was mostly because I knew the right person and I had an art style that fit in. Going to THU helped me to find my actual work and having an artstation account gave me my first concept art job.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>2619421
I am a soon to be art director (May/June next year if all goes well)

I started at an inhouse job 4 months ago.
Originally as an apprentice...

(Because I was that despereate since most other studios just turned me down, not because of my skills but my lack of experience in the field... Thats germany for you in a nutshell. The no-degree thing doesnt work here usually)

Although I already got offered to quit the apprenticeship by now and to be prepared to work as art director by next year.

I guess it really comes down to just being able to set your foot in the door and to find the right connections.
However, I always knew that once I was able to show my skills live and that I could handle client work right of the bat, I would be taken serious after all.

Entirely self taught in case you are wondering.
2 years of 8 to 10 hour days in mainly Graphic Design/3D/Infographics and Layout. for now I still do illustrations just as a hobby but I might consider accepting work like this soon too.
>>
>>2620519
> Thats germany for you in a nutshell. The no-degree thing doesnt work here usually
How does that work? The companies and persons I've come in contact with all said that a degree wont help you much if our portfolio sucks ass. I'm also in Germany btw.
>>
if so are you here to steal ideas?

Lady Gaga won her court case but it's going to appeal I think
>>
>>2619434

If that is your work then I know you :-)

Anyway, to answer OP's question, I would say that it is a combination of things.

- You need to have a good online presence and be sociable. That's how people find you. Artstation, LinkedIn, Behance, etc. If people can't find you and see you, it doesn't matter how many diplomas you have or how good you are. And being sociable is important, to be remembered, and get that call or email a year or 2 later with an interesting offer.
- You need to have skills, obviously. To be honest, nobody has ever asked me to see a diploma, and I've never asked any person whom I gave a job interview. But what is often overlooked is that it is not just technical skill that matters, but creativity. And speed. Being able to come up with fresh original ideas, iterate quickly and produce something good fast is very much appreciated.
- Finally, to make sure you last, it is important to stay flexible and curious. So, let's say 'fighting for it' in a symbolic sense. If you don't keep up tro date and evolve, you won't last nor move forward.
>>
>>2620628
skill is a given but style an uniqueness is your only way of standing out, have a sickass style or know the right people i guess
>>
>>2620519
>>2620628

another german here. no degree no problem, everyone i asked working in games said it's a non-issue.
>>
>>2620519
>>2621233
In games it's generally OK, but there aren't many game companies in Germany except awful mobile crap

I did get a job in awful mobile crap but that was just because there were no better artists available. They were quite shocked when I said that I don't have a degree.
>>
File: Alessian General.png (3MB, 1900x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Alessian General.png
3MB, 1900x1920px
This might be relevant to me soon.
Please help me out if you can
>>2621398
>>2621401
Basically, how does a shit newbie guy that gets a chance to be a concept artist in vidya not fuck up?
Pic related is how many degrees of shit I am for a reference.
>>
>>2621409

no offense but anyone giving you a chance is obviously blind so you are probably safe.
>>
>>2621421
None taken.

But I don't want to be shit, I just want to at least help out with one job I am supposed to do...shit I don't know, I just wish I would have started practicing earlier. But I don't want to fuck this up, I mean if it's supposedly so hard to get into the industry I am going to use the fact that my country has complete shit standards and that he has a big publisher that somehow trusts him enough.

I think I know the answer myself but I wish there was a way around that answer. I should just lock myself in and do 8 hours a day fundamentals practice every day, shouldn't I?
>>
>>2621409

>3.03 MB

jesus christ son learn to resize
>>
>>2621422
No, that's stupid

Learn to see what's wrong in your own works and fix it until it stops looking wrong

I can't believe you made this and thought 'hmm.. that hugeass red diamond in the middle surrounded by other diamonds completely out of palette is a great idea!' or 'in a completely dark forest I'll paint the armor white as if it had the sun shining on it... but just the front, not the helmet. yeah, this looks perfectly fine!'

Come the fuck on anon
>>
>>2621549
Sorry anon
I will get better, I promise
>>
>>2621561
Why do you even say sorry? God damn

Maybe what's glaringly obvious isn't so for you, but at least try to detect that stuff by yourself
>>
>>2619421
Unrelated to the thread, but this painting makes me anxious, and the longer I look at it the worse it gets. Anyone else get this? Why do you think that is?
>>
>>2621797

Probably reminds you of those times when you went camping with your uncle and he "forgot" to bring along a second sleeping bag
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.