[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I noticed a pattern in artists. Most often, artists who possess

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: 54810836_p0.png (1MB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
54810836_p0.png
1MB, 1000x1414px
I noticed a pattern in artists.

Most often, artists who possess a very recognizable and unique style and can produce good looking sketches/drawings effortlessly are... rather awkward persons, not good with words at all and even less good at even simply explaining what they're actually doing. You can easily spot how messy their blogs and shits are, how they've never used the caps-lock key in their entire life or just how apathetic looking they appear. It might look like pretentiousness at first but soon enough you realize it's just awkwardness. They don't often finish what they're working on, it's often left somewhat unfinished (while still looking relatively good) and just move on to another piece, most of the time because of "boredom" or once again without really knowing the reason. I don't mean this negatively but it's as if they were slightly autistic.
A few of my favorite artists are that way; here on /ic/ we even have a few good artists who are like that, but by respect for them I won't mention their names.

On the other hand, and I think it's the majority here, we have the more or less analytical people, who think a lot, who study and backup millions of references, look up to many, many artists but have a really hard time achieving this level of easiness described earlier. It's as if they were constantly searching themselves through art but never entirely seeing the end of it, as if endlessly waiting for the "click". As a contrast here, these people aren't usually awkward, they type normally, express themselves properly, are good/average with words, have decently organized blog etc and are able to sustain a normal conversation.

Thoughts? Is becoming very good at art out of reach for people who try too hard to always analyze everything instead of just being an "awkward autist" and draw away without second thoughts or is there still hope?

tl;dr : are naturally mentally easy-going people advantaged when it comes to art as opposed to more analytical people?
>>
>>2613377
sounds like a bunch of anecdotal bullshit, stop trying to compartmentalize "types" of artist and go draw.
>>
File: sc2036581.jpg (294KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sc2036581.jpg
294KB, 1200x1600px
I don't think one is necessarily superior over the other. I think analytical artists can get caught up in the grind or be too fixed on a certain goal (I want to draw like *blank*) rather than exploring their own inner world. That being said, rushed or unfinished drawings, not pushing yourself to improve, that can be just as bad.

I think taste is the great equalizer in the art world. I love fine art, I love trying to improve my craft and carefully consider everything, but no matter how hard I try it's never going to be as appealing to some people as a quick sketch of a QT girl by someone else. I think that's great.
>>
>>2613377
>theyve never used the caps lock key in their entire life
This says so much about you.
>>
>>2613377
Molyneux sometimes mentions kids who don't get along with other kids often end up as artists. It's a way to hide in your fantasies.
as an artist you can work behind a computer all day and you don't even have to deal with people all that much.

Some people just need to do art. I guess

Also in response to your questions
>Is becoming very good at art out of reach for people who try too hard to always analyze everything instead of just being an "awkward autist" and draw away without second thoughts or is there still hope?
People who always analyze everything
will make really good analytical art.
people who socialize a ton will have a lot of experiences to draw from
"awkward autist guy draws every day and gets his technical skills really good.

People will make art of their own, based on their own person and own personal experiences.
>>
>>2613486
Great art is the outward expression of an inner life in the artist, and this inner life will result in his personal vision of the world. -EDWARD HOPPER
>>
>>2613377
>tl;dr : i (badly) try to justify my autism
>>
File: 1468794470458.png (175KB, 482x436px) Image search: [Google]
1468794470458.png
175KB, 482x436px
>>2613377
>mfw i have traits from both camps and don't know where i belong
>messy blog
>never finish
>never caps lock
>awkward
>but also extremely analytical
>look up to many artists
>can express myself decently (i think), even with art related stuff
though honestly some of these traits are rather common.

you're trying to spin this narrative where the talented people do it without trying and the others try hard and fail. souds pretty biased to me. i'm sure the good people also practiced a lot to get that good.

>even less good at even simply explaining what they're actually doing.
i've seen that as well, but honestly i think it's just a gap in understanding. for example if i had to explain a advanced concept i read in some book to a buddy in a chatroom i'd probably struggle to fully convey it unless i quoted the whole book or page.
>>
>>2613400
>>2613486
>>2613489
Thanks for your insights, I appreciate it.

>>2613387
>>2613445
>>2613495
I won't try to defend myself there, my post is big turd filled with buzzwords but this is exactly why I still wanted to type it out, it's fine to call me names for it.
>>
>>2613528
>souds pretty biased to me
Diving things in two camps was indeed a rather extreme way to present things.

>i think it's just a gap in understanding
Could be that, or could be that teaching is not for everyone, maybe. I'm a teacher myself (not art... obviously), I love teaching and as long as I know something I'll always have the confidence needed to explain it out. But I can't say with certainty my logic also applies to art.
>>
>>2613377
Not gonna lie, your description is spot-on.

I guess Im a good artist, and Im a bit awkward.

And I do tend to put down a painting, and move on to another one. Due to boredom.

Stop knowing me.
>>
File: 1466456444249.jpg (216KB, 556x544px) Image search: [Google]
1466456444249.jpg
216KB, 556x544px
>>2613377
>are naturally mentally easy-going people advantaged when it comes to art as opposed to more analytical people?

It all comes down to the person I think. Watts talks about this a bit in his Mastery book review though; he mentions how they've had all sorts of people at the atelier including retired big lawyers or brain surgeons or what have you, very intelligent well trained thinkers. And he says that if anything the really smart people have more trouble than anyone else in becoming proficient at the craft.

He thinks this is more down to being smart, like in school or university or even just life, is partly about efficiency and being able to divide your brainpower across multiple tasks or focuses as needed, instead of plodding along doing things one at a time very slowly. He calls it taking shortcuts but I don't think it's meant in a bad way, but says it can be frustrating for them to learn art because there's no real faster way to do it. Becoming good is really about just drawing a ton and slowly learning one thing after another.

>>2613528
I'm the opposite anon and know how you feel. Not very socialble and obsessively organised and analytical, to point where my mandatory uni psych report told me I'll have real trouble finding any romance or dealing with teams because I think things through logically like a machine, and humans are anything but logical, especially with romance. When it comes to art though my schedule might be obsessive, but the way I draw and paint it loose and I work as instinctively as I can.

So who knows, maybe there are some messy autists who are naturally inclined to paint well, and the opposite, and any combination of the two. What you should be more concerned with OP is whether your own combination of traits is going to make certain areas easier or harder for you, and then choose to capitalize on or avoid those areas as you wish.
>>
how do i know if im autimso?
>>
File: 4c8.png (1MB, 1194x1359px) Image search: [Google]
4c8.png
1MB, 1194x1359px
>>2613545
Act like Big Boss.
>>
File: 1439227878483.jpg (291KB, 800x1089px) Image search: [Google]
1439227878483.jpg
291KB, 800x1089px
>>2613542
>[...] and then choose to capitalize on or avoid those areas as you wish.
This is a good point and I was just pondering on this actually. Thanks.

I suppose I'll tell more about myself :
I am very obsessive when it comes to organization, my computer is all neatly organized with tons of folders and sub-folders all renamed in a certain fashion. Even each file is renamed in a certain way, I can't stand any mess, well I do have a messy folder for things I download but I end up sorting through it every week or so. I have many favorite artists I look up to and I have downloaded everything from them in a somewhat obsessive way, once again all neatly organized. When I learn a new skill, I want to learn it completely... this is difficult to explain it with word but, I won't want to take a shortcut, or use a faster way or anything, I'll always most likely go down with the traditional way to "completely", "fully" learn this new skill without missing one bit of it. I like, need even, to know and understand how everything works.

But this is causing me problems in art, because I end up stressing myself, not drawing as much as I'd like to (or even drawing at all by not taking the first step when I should), and always feeling like I still need to prepare myself further about X or Y study/topic before doing anything I should. My artstyle ends up being affected by it; for example, I would say I am good at making neat linearts, drawings with some sort of a "mechanical" or flat look like pic related (not mine, first thing I stumbled on which explains my point) who heavily plays on color contrasts and so on. I like to do things like that sure, but this is also because I feel like I couldn't do much else. I also feel like this isn't something that's exactly amazing, if I can do it other artists most like also can, I can't see how harder it'd be than other styles.

Not sure where I'm going with that post.
>>
What's your blog anon? and why don't you post this shit there?
>>
who cares do you nigga
>>
>>2613866
I don't have a blog. I post here to get judged and destroyed which might result in me gaining new perspectives on things.
>>
>tfw you wanted to be Syd Barrett but you actually grey up into Roger Waters

I envy them, the ones with real tallent.
>>
>>2613377

>Thoughts? Is becoming very good at art out of reach for people who try too hard to always analyze everything instead of just being an "awkward autist" and draw away without second thoughts or is there still hope?

There's no hope for inactive people. They are hollowing or have already hollowed.

The person with the most perseverance, patience, and discipline, has the biggest advantage. Not having those three will keep you from learning any skill.
You'll always make gains if you consistently put in the effort to really understand what you're doing.
Reading a book or doing a study is one thing, but understanding what you're learning is another beast entirely.

i.e. The student learns. The master understands what he has learned.
>>
>>2613377
Look up MBTI in relation to art. If you do it becomes obvious why people have such different approaches to making and observing art.

And before you say mbti is a lie, keep in mind that the various archetypes you find on the web are just guesses at how a person with this thought process MIGHT be as a person. The actual way / order you think and make decisions with however is always the same and you will always be placed into one of the 16 types.
>>
>>2614250
Speaking of MBTI, I recommend looking into the cognitive functions. It's much deeper, more flexible, and thus more fascinating than the dichotomies.
>>
>>2614250
>>2614418
I wouldn't call it a lie, I'd say all the results I've had in the past were accurate for the most part, especially compared to other MBTI types.

I'll look into cognitive functions.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.