[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reasons why people dont get an art job after graduating art studies

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_0426.jpg (36KB, 574x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0426.jpg
36KB, 574x600px
Someone online suggested for me to not go to school for art because her brother did but hasn't found a job yet. She said that he switched over from music to art twice, Isn't that kind of bad to shift from one another twice? Do you think it's considered "good advice" for someone to tell you not to do what you want to for the "rest of your life"? I asked her if her brother was "good." She replied yes but that's not the point. I need better advice from someone who does art, not someone who doesn't pursue art. Fellow ic/ please give me some good advice.
>>
>>2607311
Because companies don't look at your diploma, they look at your portfolio.
>>
>>2607315
Basically this. Your diploma is worth toilet paper if you don't have the skillset the companies need. Better start wiping your ass with it quick.
>>
File: ARB.jpg (4MB, 3262x4982px) Image search: [Google]
ARB.jpg
4MB, 3262x4982px
Statistically speaking, a degree in art does not seem to be the defining feature of currently employed working artists-in fact they are the exception. Financial success in art is a product of not only your skill, but also your ability to network with and sell yourself to others. I hate to say it but probably more so. In some ways, a degree in business might serve you better as an artist than a degree in art would; at least if you happen to waddle into one of those "figurative art" schools by accident.

Personally, I would advise not only discretion when it comes to selecting a specific art school (they are very often amongst the most expensive higher-learning institutions out there and all have wildly different curriculum quality wise), but also patience.

If you're fresh out of highschool there is nothing that says that you can't study from free or inexpensive resources online or off for 2, 3 or even 5 years before even deciding on a school to attend-if you even want to by that point. They're not going anywhere.
>>
If you can satisfy /ic/ you're probably as good as Kim Jung Gi so that's a low-hanging fruit you can aim for
>>
>>2607311
>switched from music to art
>unemployed
>have a sister who says I'm good

Is this me? Holy shit.
>>
>>2607311
this applies to all fields
youre supposed to get low paying job/ internship during the last 2 years of school
or work on a big solo project
>>
People here are always bashing fine arts degrees, but that's off the mark because if you're here you'll probably need to pursue a commercial art of somesort. Of course preformance artists and abstract painters don't get videogame industry jobs. If networking is important then getting a degree in some area of design of illustration is a a good point of start. People are always complaining about calarts students getting all the jobs in televised animation. Are you worried about money invested and returned? Is education only a way of growing money - is personal growth worthless?
>>
File: Census data by field.jpg (204KB, 840x882px) Image search: [Google]
Census data by field.jpg
204KB, 840x882px
>>2607373
That's not all we complain about Calarts for, or many other schools. It's the price. Calarts is something like $45,000 a year to attend.

>but that's off the mark because if you're here you'll probably need to pursue a commercial art of somesort

The data seems relatively stable across fields of study (all of the anecdotes from the earlier image are character artists, animators and commercial painters for what it's worth-the kind of positions a lot of /ic/ guys covet). Few arts degree students get jobs as artists-though admittedly there's definitely going to be some overlap with "creative workers" and "educators" there.
>>
>>2607399
Calart's Composer here;
Tuition is definitely steep, but it's actually 20/year but the school funds me 7.5k of that and I have 5.5k in subsidized and unsubsidized loans put together.

From my experience, part of the reason for the lack of success in outputted students (And thus the bad public opinion) has more to do with a general atmosphere of "Art for the sake of art". Few individuals are willing to sell out and commercialize themselves so when they leave they lack the skills and attitude to get into the profession or lack the reallife collaborative skills that are necessary (Because they spent their time writing harsh noise and making ridiculous tier installations.
I'm definitely lucky to get to go there, but I've also learned a ton that you can't necessarily figure out through books or personal experience. And the opportunities to expand your portfolio, network and skills through collaboration is super useful. Hell I ended up working with something like 10-12 separate animators/directors in the Spring Semester (I'm a BFA 3)

Note: I started my first two years in a separate university getting my General Education out of the way, so I saved a good amount of money and ended up a lot more rounded and less "Artistically pretentious" as a result imo.
>>
>>2607399
But Poffesionals, designers, educators and artists are all work you use your degree for. A third of students end up doing something else - that's pretty good considering the youth who would even enter an art school.
>>
>>2607561
>use your degree for

Maybe so, but a degree that could have been anything other than a $80,000 art degree. I know someone at the atelier I study at who got into the graphic design field without a degree for example, too, too-that suggests to me a similarity there with art degrees. The people with art degrees who got these outside jobs did so by happenstance just like all those other people who have archeology degrees and work as paralegals or real estate agents or whatever.
>>
>>2607432
When did you go to Calarts, 1990? It says right on their webpage that tuition is around $45,000-did you get a scholarship and forget about it? Nevertheless Calarts is a respectable school as far as it teaches real skills and is a pipeline to Disney; goddamn expensive though.
>>
>>2607613
Nevermind, I see why it was so relatively cheap for you, you transferred credits from a different university. Nice move-but I can't imagine you got those credits for free, either. The non-profit Atelier I go to is like $7500 for the full time students (of which I'm not) so I can't see you having spent much less than that for each of those two years barring you having a free ride scholeship. That'd still be $35,000. Woof! Anyway, congratulations on your success at any rate.
>>
I appreciate the advice you guys have. After sending this comment, I should be sleeping for about 5-6 hours. When I wake up, I'll try yo draw something and post for critique. Well, cya guys until the time comes!
>>Holy fuck i'm tired
>>
>>2607311
1: most people suck
2: most people that don't suck are only able to mimicry existing stuff and that makes them blend with the crowd, making their social and marketing skills actually more important than their art
3: there isn't that much room for professional artists outside tumblr paid commissions, you know. also because people that is already in doesn't want newfags come and start stealing contracts from them
>>
>>2607609
>too, too

JUST
>>
There is literally not enough jobs for everyone, it doesn't matter if every single art student came out of school with amazing work there are only so many jobs in the industry.

That and connections are extremely important, if you have a partner/friend in the industry who can vouch for you than you can save around 2 years of doing low paying grunt work.
>>
>>2607748
There aren't enough jobs for those who are mediocre, if you're legitimately good, you'll find work. Also connections might get you a foot in the door, but but I doubt anyone is going to give you a position you're not qualified for just because you have a connection. You're just more likely to land that entry level job, you'll still be doing grunt work.
>>
>>2607311
Either you have to know somebody right out of college or you have to keep going. My sister didn't get a job until she got her masters in illustration at the University of Arts in London, and now she's working at the Guggenheim
>>
>>2609262
as a receptionist
>>
Because some people suck dick at art and/or are not motivated to go out there and put together a portfolio, apply everywhere, and travel.

I didn't go to art school, I just draw as a hobby, but all two of my friends who did go to an art college both have pretty nice jobs. One has an animation job and the other does contracts.
>>
>>2608968
>There aren't enough jobs for those who are mediocre, if you're legitimately good, you'll find work.

Good is a changing standard, there are people who I see as good/decent and could not find work (and I mean decent paying work not doing comissions on da for 30$).

But what I'm saying is lets say everyone was legitimately on the same tier of amazing, there would not be enough jobs for everyone.

There are also a lot mediocre talents with jobs again just because of being at the right place at the right time and knowing the right people.

>I doubt anyone is going to give you a position you're not qualified for just because you have a connection.

Never said that, basically what I'm saying is. 2 people apply for position one person who is amazing, no connections and one who has connections and is merely "good". The merely good person will get the job 9/10 times over the amazing person.
>>
Ya but having a degree makes it like way easier getting a job and work visa in other countries.
>>
>>2607311
OP here's the hard truth:
Are you going to be really fucking annoying to sit beside at work all day? Are you good enough to do your own work and finish it on time, every deadline, every time? If not the team will have to finish your slack and that's more workload because of an autistic sperg that can't even hold a conversation.

That 'brother' is probably really annoying and doesn't craft quality work or can do what he's told.
You just have to be normal, do your work and get along with your coworkers, you don't even need to be in the top 40% skill wise as an artist to make it, just don't be a lazy neckbeard.
>>
>>2607311
Most consumers don't care what they consume, whether they think its particularly good or bad or whether it abides by something external to itself or anything, they just consume what stimulates them; and theres an awful lot of shmucks that can put together something that stimulates.

Most employers like to have their metaphorical penis metaphorical fellatio'd.

Slap these two facts together and you'll see that a diploma isn't worth squat, you're better off getting your portfolio to a competent standard then doing an internship and selling your soul to the nearest demon.
>>
>>2614521
maybe im just full of shit tho
>>
>>2607311
There are more artists than art jobs in the market. Most art graduates are not good enough to compte for the few decent paying jobs. A degree will not help if you are a shitty artist.
>>
>>2607315
It's all well and good to have a great portfolio but you still need a diploma most of the time which sucks. 4
>>
File: Stephen Silver - Get Good.jpg (137KB, 484x623px) Image search: [Google]
Stephen Silver - Get Good.jpg
137KB, 484x623px
>>2614539
>need a diploma most of the time

lol, no senpai

>>2607331
>>
You don't need to have a degree in art. School is great to learn the fundamentals and for networking, but ultimately, employers look at your portfolio.

If anything, go to a trade school like the Kubert School
>>
>>2614539
I went to a technical school for art. While I'm not working full-time as an illustrator or a concept artist, it did help me get a job as a technical production artist for a mobile game company.

So I don't have a traditional college degree, but I've been working 3 years at a company in a position that lists they want a BA. If you have all the qualifications a job is looking for, they care more about that than a BA.
>>
File: 1442189917763.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1442189917763.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>2607345
>>
Just switch to science if you can't make it

Oh right, artists are dumb :^)
>>
>>2615066
Although switching to science is a commitment one would have to live with for most of their career life, it is safer than just putting all your eggs in one basket and just "going for it." With a good scholarship, you can study STEM and land a job (given your skills and networking) and continue drawing as a hobby. But... I your thing is to go at it full time, I am no one to be judging.
>>
>>2615110
Yeah. I am actually studying stem but I plan to go to an art school after my university diploma. I hope the "its never too late" meme is true.....
>>
>>2615169
I'll admit that besides having good grades, I have no plans for my future. I just wanna git gud.
>>
>>2607311
>>
>>2607311
If you are gud, you will get paid. A diploma makes no difference unless you want to work overseas.
>>
I'm attending art school in socal.

I have a full scholarship the only thing I'm paying for is a roof over my head really.

I've done 2 internships so far, and I
have two mentors. (One who does work on 3D movie effects and characters the other an ex Disney animator for the glorious 2D movie age)

I honestly wasn't going to go if it wasn't for one of my mentors suggestions it. He said straight up that you don't need art school in the long run but that's where you'll make friends and connections.

Both my mentors worked with me to build two different portfolios for my 1st and second choice. I took a year off and just worked on my portfolios.

So far have the shit I get to use at school is worth going to artschool and the connections I get for internships. I've only done the summer internship for RIOT thanks to my school.

Go to artschool if you have 0 connections and are too autistic to put yourself out there the right way. Your number one aim is not getting into your artschool but getting a full ride or at the very least a huge scholarship/grant
>>
>>2615438

Christ sorry for the typos, using my phone.
>>
>>2615438
It sounds like you met your mentors before going to art school. How did you meet?
>>
I'd say to have a backup plan and take some business courses. Networking and portfolio are the most important things, as others have said. I graduated at the top of my class from a top art school and have been unemployed for 3 years. I've had unpaid internships every year since being a Freshman aside from this year, so about 6 so far. I've applied to hundreds of places and gone to any networking events I could find. I think my problem is that I can't make connections or sell myself, so if you're a quiet person you may have more difficulty. I'm still glad I had the personal fulfillment of going to art school. I'd say the job statistics they put out aren't accurate, just comparing the percent of my graduating class that's actually employed to my school's reported numbers. Do follow what you want to do for the rest of your life, but be careful how you follow it. Especially be careful about your choices if you're going to have loans to pay back, and plan for things to not go as expected.
>>
>>2615476

My 3D mentor is actually family through my siblings godmother. When I was still in high school my mother introduced me to him and how I wanted to do art. He was nice enough to look at my stuff and constantly check up on me even though at the time he was under a contract and busy.

My very first internship was thanks to him, I interned unpaid at French gaming studio who had an extension in America. It was nice, I didn't do much besides coffee runs and other mundane nonsense but they all did look at my work as well and did offer to mentor me as well, apply for ____ "I'll put in a good word for you".

Ex Disney are a dime a dozen, they are legit everywhere. Which isn't downsizing Disney in the least ( they got hired there for something for a reason). I met him during a life drawing class, he was there with his niece and of course I was initially drawn to him because he was moving across the paper like it was nothing. Everyone was impresses yada yada. Instructor got him talking then he revealed he was a retired professional. He's great, I truly love this old man. My figure drawing style is thanks to him. And if I ever want to intern at Disney he says he's more the happy to allow me to put his name during the application and he offered to call some of his connections who still work for the tv studio branch.

My goal is to make as much connections before I graduated and cash in on some that I have for paid internships and make friends there. I think people really overlook the internship thing. Companies go to artschools first for internships, obviously if you have mentors they will be more then happy to vouch for you but that will only last so long and get you so far.
>>
This is an interesting thread because I wanna go to CalArts but am afraid my art is too mediocre.

Is art school good for those that feel that selfteaching is getting them no where?
>>
>>2615803
Art school- it depends. See all posts above. Art classes- yes, go for it.

>>2615681
Thanks for answering in depth. Do you mind if I ask, was that figure class a college course or continuing education?
>>
>>2615922

No problem anon. I lived in a "cultured" part of south Florida. So growing up there was a lot of artist who would offer figure drawing classes to make an extra buck.

Which obviously attracted a lot of aspiring artist, and old people.
So I went to a lot of them, they didn't charge a lot like bring you own supplies, 12 dollars per person to pay for the model(unless you took the legit figure drawing classes, then is like 400 for 2 months etc).

I did this up until I took figure drawing at community college before transferring. By then I had enough strong figure drawings that were recent enough to put in my portfolio. I still attend them when I go back home to visit as a way to not slack off.
>>
Isn't OP that image by Anne Frank? the artist of Unteralterbach?
There's literally no trace of this artist anywhere. Would you happen to know where I can find more of his stuff?
>>
>>2614539

No you don't. Nobody cares. I have never once been asked by a client or employer, "Do you have a degree?"
>>
File: Thinking Thoughts.png (42KB, 409x465px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking Thoughts.png
42KB, 409x465px
>>2607311
I don't know why everyone is against pursing an education. I mean yeah if you have money troubles and don't want to drown in debt than don't, but even if you went to a community college and transferred to a college for art there are many scholarship opportunities (US wise as far as i know) that will help get you through it. If your thinking of fine art such as painting or drawing I wouldn't recommend it because it really doesn't do shit for you if you're not already good. But learning a technical art skill at a college can open many doors for new unique job opportunities and MANY new networks among your peers. Also colleges tend to have their own job fairs with companies willing to pay interns or hire full time employees to do stuff like graphic design, photography, 3D rendered stuff and so on. So if you consider yourself good enough to be sought after than go for it, because in the long run you will most likely get into some kind of job market more towards your field with a degree than without.
>>
Hey thread OP here, sorry for being dead for over a week or so. I decided to read the majority of the thread. I might end up making a new thread over a different topic in art, so be ready if you want to join! Hope you guys are having a great day by the way! :)
>>2607315
>>2607322
That's an answer that I was looking for.
>>2607331
Pretty much.
>>2607345
Maybe I should start being more active on ic/ more often, I looked up Kim Jung Gi a week or so ago when you posted your comment, I feel like I could draw similar to him but I know I need practice.
>>2607367
I don't know. Is your sisters name Sarah?
>>2607368
>>Thinking
>>2607373
This is some good advice and questioning.
>>2607670
Hmmm, I see.
>>2609262
Hmmm...
>>2613909
Gotcha dude.
>>2614521
Gotcha dude.
>>2614522
Cheer up dude.
>>2614528
I see.
>>2614539
>>2614547
>>Lol
>>2614721
Hmmm, maybe.
>>2615066
What's your logic behind why artists are "dumb?" Explain yourself please.
>>2615176
I Lawl'd
>>2615250
Yeah pretty much.
>>2622880
Yeah!
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.