[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here's a question to all of those of you who've already

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: Hands.jpg (150KB, 640x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hands.jpg
150KB, 640x523px
Here's a question to all of those of you who've already gotten good enough at drawing to know how to deal with hands: What's the most efficient way to comprehend that shit?

Like, I've seen the tutorials and I understand the concepts in theory but I can't bring them to paper. Now, I get that practice is what it's all about and there most likely isn't any magic trick to it to finally make things click but I find it hard to draw without a right thought in the first place.

How did you manage to make it past that seemingly impossible wall and what are your experiences? How did things finally start kicking off in your case?
>>
I don't know, doing studies probably. It worked for me.

I wanted simplified hands, so I tried comics, but american comics are just well drawn, it got too distracting for me so I turned to japanese comics. I observed that Naruto manga's hand game is kind of accurate.

Just apply proper anatomy once you get the hang of it, just like you would when doing/practicing gesture drawings.
>>
Draw from life, draw the skeleton, learn the anatomy, use references, and build a visual library in your head. It gets to a point where you can just pull from your head since you've drawn it enough times and to know when to get new reference when it doesn't look right.
>>
>>2606824

Do it a lot. There are not secrets or shortcuts. Every accomplished artist who's not trying to sell his book will tell you that.
>>
>>2607039
The answer to 99% of all questions on ic
>>
I don't have a problem with hands but I do have a problem with the fact that if I'm just a tiny bit off in proportion to the rest of the body is looks fucking weird so I end up in a loop of constantly redoing them until it looks okay.

I know that the hand should be able to cover the entire face and nothing outside of that radius but that's hard to nail at different angles.
>>
>>2607057
There is no shame in measuring familia
>>
>>2607061
That's such a nuisance to do and it slows down workflow really quick in larger images.
>>
>>2607065
True, but its faster than drawing it over and over again until it fits in my experience. Also after enough measuring its easier to shoot from the hip I feel. (Same with foreshortening)
>>
>>2607069
You could argue drawing it over and over makes for decent practice at least.

I just noticed one of the hands in OP's picture has 6 fingers.
>>
>>2607051
This is really depressing. I understand wanting to study efficiently but damn
>>
>>2606824
Do studies, read the appropriate books, practice a lot. AKA how to be good at anything. You think there's some kind of secret to this?
>>
>>2607184
Yeah, you're going to have to get used to that.
Q: How do you get good at drawing X?
A: Draw X
On the flipside, it also means that there really aren't any barriers, save for your own willingness to commit to getting better.
>>
I sincerely hope nobody saves OP's pic for their ref folder.
>>
Well, stuff just clicks in as you study and observe. It's not like there's just this one big-ass wall to get past—I slowly realized different things about hands by looking at several different examples of how other people tackle it, reading several books/chapters on it, and drawing them throughout the years.

There's really no magic trick to it, but if the OP pic is your stuff, I'd recommend looking a little more into detailed anatomy of the hand, particularly the fingers. The form's too simple as is, and if you're serious about hands, it's too soon to stylize.

>>2607082
which one? I thought the fist had six fingers but it seems like that's just the side of the palm. Granted, it looks weird as for that to seem so vertically long the whole fist would have to have a different orientation but it's not quite the same issue as six fingers.
>>
>>2606824
Well start off by not doing whatever is in your pic. Unless your goal is to author and illustrate a webcomic of middling quality.
>>
why does one hand have six fingers
>>
>>2607325
if you're talking about the fist, the leftmost thing is a side of the palm, not a finger
>>
>>2610756
the point was that those hands look bad
>>
>>2610756
The side of the palm doesn't extend that far down tho, the pinky wrests on the palm so it's almost impossible for it to be the same length. Point your fist at your face to confirm. It is a fuckin' finger.
>>
>>2610805
>it's more likely that they drew extra anatomy than drawing bad perspective
>>
>>2606824
>fist has 6 fingers
>>
>>2610795

fuck boy. U are just a fuck boy nothing more. Your truly a petty little poser. Watch what u say. The future can be unkind.we have no fucks given about u or youre mickey mouse club so save it.
>>
>>2610818
I didn't mean it literally was.

>but for the record I've drawn an extra finger before, lmoa
>>
>>2610827
look dude, I don't know what kind of issue you have with me, I'm a good boy, coming up from the bottom, from the hood man, I don't smoke, don't drug myself, but don't mess with me, understand?

if you are going to talk the talk I'm going to fuck you up

don't let this happen again
>>
>>2610844

fuck boy. Youre just a fuck boy nothing more. Fite me poser. I dont care about u or ur mickey mouse club gang.
>>
>>2610831
Ah, my bad for misinterpreting you then. It definitely looks like 6 fingers.
>>
>>2607039
Yep. If you're not willing to bleed, not gonna make it.
>>
>>2606824
draw your own hands, or ask people to draw theirs you will get used to the "movement".
I'm willing to serve you as reference for an Erect Throbbing Penis anon.
>>
>>2606824
>Now, I get that practice is what it's all about and there most likely isn't any magic trick to it to finally make things click
That's all there is to it. Now please stop asking stupid questions.
>>
>>2611120
there's no such thing as a stupid question
>>
>>2611277
99% of the questions on /ic/ are fucking stupid, don't kid yourself.

But I draw hands by drawing the general shape I want the entire hand and fingers to take. Then I draw a rectangular box for the hand/palm. Then out circles where the fingers and thumb should be located. Then basically extrude those out.
>>
>>2611277
What is the square root of a beetle?
>>
>>2606824
I used to hate drawing Hands. I'm still not 100% with them, Need a lot more practice.
A lot of people are going to say just keep practising, and they're right but you need to find a technique that suits you since there are a few ways to draw hands.
How I do it is you draw the basic palm shape and ball of the thumb, then the skeleton of the fingers and flesh it out from there. But try a few out and see what works for you.
>>
>>2607275
>Muh realism
Even vilppu said to start with cartoon hands
>>
>>2614163
Vilppu said to purposely draw wrong?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.