[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I draw for 8+ hours a day without getting burned out?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

How do I draw for 8+ hours a day without getting burned out?

Right now I draw for one hour a day, and even that's a struggle sometimes. I'm thinking of asking my psych to prescribe me with Adderall or something. What do you guys think will help?
>>
>>2605526
>I'm used to walking 100 feet to the grocery store, why can't I run a marathon?

Draw 1 hour a day, anon. A few weeks down the line, up it to 1½ or 2. A month down the line, get up to 3-4. And so on.

Oh, and don't be a faggot. Take breaks every half hour, or at least every hour.
>>
>>2605526
Make it a goal to work a little longer every day until you hit that 8 hour mark.

>I'm thinking of asking my psych to prescribe me with Adderall or something
>relying on drugs that you don't need to make daily tasks easier

This is how addiction starts.
>>
File: 1305849503148.jpg (175KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1305849503148.jpg
175KB, 1440x810px
>>2605553
>Make it a goal to work a little longer every day until you hit that 8 hour mark.
Easier said than done. A better question would be how to organize the time so you'd be interested in your work for such a long period

I can work on studies and fanarts for a few hours at a time, but not longer.
After a few months of working two-four hours everyday, randomly switching between study-work and fun-practice (basically fanart with reference or random sketches) I didn't know what to do with myself.

How do you keep interest and plow through burnouts and art blocks?
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>2605569
JUST DO IT!

If you're tired of starting over... Stop. Giving. Up.
>>
You just need self-discipline.
amazon com/Self-Discipline-10-days-Thinking-Doing/dp/1880115107

This book has been amazing. It's given some real simple yet effective means at looking what self discipline is, and why it has not been effective in people when they try to utilize their own.

>not shilling
>i've actually read this for two weeks, and it really has helped deal with procrastination and even self confidence.
>>
>>2605553
But if the addiction makes me a better artist, isn't that a good thing?
>>
>>2605665
The addiction is guaranteed.
The "becoming a better artist" is not.
>>
>>2605665
Not if you commit sudoku in a dirty alley after years of soliciting your holes to hobos before you even git gud
>>
>>2605671
But at the same time, it gives me a better shot, right?
>>
>>2605526

draw with other people, the time goes faster.
>>
>>2605702
Not necessarily. If your way of thinking stays the same, you'll just find another excuse.
>>
File: don't quit.png (341KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
don't quit.png
341KB, 960x960px
>>2605526
As someone who abuses amphetamines: don't go down this path, it sucks. If you already have trouble getting inspired or motivated to draw, you're just going to end up cleaning your room with laser focus or typing essays to random people on 4chan.

You need to find inspiration. Surround yourself with art, take note of things you enjoy, end remember what made you want to start drawing in the first place. Begin with a warmup exercise, like drawing 3D forms along a flowing line a-la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOlwDL8HtT0. Or do timed gesture sketches with http://artists.pixelovely.com/ for a while, just to loosen up. Try to have fun with drawing. If you're getting burnt out, take a break and look at more things you've always wanted to draw. If you're getting stressed then relax, take a deep breath, and try to just enjoy the process of creation. Don't be a perfectionist.

Also how you spend your time drawing is more important than how long you draw. Drawing to practice and drawing for fun should be different; you'll start to notice the difference if you do a proper study session once or twice a week, and just accept your limitations outside of those sessions. You can't have fun outside your comfort zone, and you can't learn inside your comfort zone. Eventually though, you'll start to enjoy learning too.
>>
>>2605526
>How do I draw for 8+ hours a day without getting burned out?
you fuckin' dont
Take a break or else youll reach a stage where you dont see your own mistakes and just mindlessly paint away. Sometimes flow goes too far
>>
File: 1463789710529.png (8KB, 448x554px) Image search: [Google]
1463789710529.png
8KB, 448x554px
>>2605630
>Self-Discipline in 10 days
>i've actually read this for two weeks

If it's taking you 14+ days to finish a "in 10 days" book then you might still have things to work on m8.

Different anon but thanks for the reccomendation, I'll give it a read to see what they write about.

[spoiler]and I'll finish it in 10 days too ;)[/spoiler]
>>
>>2605569
The best way to keep interest is to rotate between things that interest you. Burnouts and art blocks hit hard and stay a while if you stick to the same subject or pattern since being creative doesn't really do too well with sticking to beaten paths.

If you can get a short list of things you like in life, be it in the media, in person, a friend (or relationship?) or just a concept you want to see then work on those. Just make a short backlog of stuff you enjoy and want to see more of and work on it. Then when you can stay motivated to draw for a couple of hours (break or two included) start working on stuff that challenges you. Doesn't need to actually be difficult, just something that makes you think during or before working on it. An example would be if drawing static poses and then drawing dynamic ones (person standing in place into person walking or performing a gesture)
>>
You don't

It's not healthy to force yourself to do that, most of your time won't be productive either
>>
>>2605526
Listen do documentaries and podcasts while you draw. Helps me.
>>
Start listening to podcasts and audio books while drawing, this helps me stay productive.
>>
find music thats appropriate to what you like drawing, i.e spacey stuff for sci fi, jazz for noir etc.
>>
>>2605665
Let me guess... you take antibiotics when you get the flu?
>>
>>2605552
that analogy comforted me so much, thanks anon
>>
Drinking heaps of coffee helps me out a lot, brew some really strong shit and drink it slowly.
>>
Bleach will help.
>>
21 days to make a habit
Start tomorrow morning
>>
>>2605526
Starve. Boredom will become irrelevant and doing art will become a survival instinct.
>>
>>2605552

This is honestly the best advice.

A vast majority of people who dive right into 8 hours burn out in record time. Gradually building habits is the ticket. And the ticket to that is having a good routine. Making too many decisions is both tiring and frustrating, so limit the number of decisions you need to make by deciding in advance and planning out your day. The question shouldn't be "should I draw right now?" it should be "it's 1:00, I need to draw for an hour." Better still if you've plotted out a system for what you need to work on, so you don't have to then answer "What should I draw now?"

And like he said, take regular breaks. Get some sunlight, get decent exercise, eat well, sleep well - all of them help keep you motivated. Your brain takes energy just like your legs do, so staying healthy is vital.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 851x233px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 851x233px
>drawing 8 hours a day

Try having school, lifting weights, a job, and a girlfriend to appease
>>
>>2609738
Nigga, my brother was a medicine student with a girlfriend and practiced MMA and he could make portraits on his sleep. You could do it if instead of shitposting you drew.
>>
>>2605526
DUDE BIPOLAR ADHD DEPRESSION LMAO

What a truly twisted individual. I mean this guy is clearly insane. He cannot concentrate on drawing for longer than an hour! He's psycho!

MOMS GONNA FREAK !!!!

F

*tips feodora*
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.