[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how do you get into this digital art thing coming from studying

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: balls.jpg (64KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
balls.jpg
64KB, 512x512px
So how do you get into this digital art thing coming from studying in traditional?

None of the tools behave in a familiar fashion and i think the ability to select any color you wish actually hinders my ability to color.

With traditional it's pretty easy, you want the area darker, you shade it with your pencil, you want a different color, you mix with the color you want to shift to and so on.

Trying digital is always mind-numbing for me, since nothing blends, all of the brush packs are just a mask on top of your default brush nad is there a way to imitate your average pencil?

It seems to me like digital tools require a different mindset about them, and since /ic/ primarily seems to work in digital, can you steer me in the right direction?

Pic somewhat related, slapping it on like a caveman.
>>
with great suffering
>>
>>2602980
I use ctrlpaint.com, it's pretty good to start with seeing how I always do traditional art.
I drew the pic you see with the website's help.
>>
>>2602980
I understand your plight. There is little to be done about it. Some programs besides PS try to help- both painter and art rage do "real world" mixing for example, where colors do mix and mix according to RYB (additive) instead of the weirdness of digital RGB. But, they are so crippled in other areas that unless you really commit you will always be lured back to PS for speed and design.

Just try to identify the foundational concept underlying all your traditional choices, and find digital tools and methods that align with that. The color picker is indeed crippling because you have to know exactly the color you need to do your modifications-while in traditional if your red is too saturated, hit it with some green and even if you didn't know what was gonna happen you knew it would get the job done.

Take it slow, take is carefully with the sliders, say your steps outloud if you have to as you do them (less saturated. now more yellow. now darker.)

And don't be afraid of any of the tools, no matter what anyone tell you. Everything is fair game.
>>
>>2602980
Yeah i think it depends a lot on the program.
Photoshop seems to be the one that everyone uses, but i heard that SAI has more
>>
>>2602980
You might enjoy this, it takes RGB Hex and converts it to a similar Munsell value and back and forth. Download it, set it to a key bind and run away from those icky pickers.

https://github.com/germ/munsellScript
>>
File: demo.gif (2MB, 527x231px) Image search: [Google]
demo.gif
2MB, 527x231px
Demo of it in action.

Pick up the Book Of Colour for some real fun.
>>
File: grades.jpg (300KB, 1279x1447px) Image search: [Google]
grades.jpg
300KB, 1279x1447px
>>2603091
That's a nice site, and the format is great, i dove into the videos and already got some nice tips, especially i like getting rid of all the brushes and use just three.

>>2603160
Nice, i also found this http://www.andrewwerth.com/color/
Same thing, but online.

How do you guys cope with the fatigue. Real bright colors on a monitor are just so overwhelming, they almost burn into my retina. Should i turn down the monitor brightness, won't this be destructive to the color selection?
>>
>>2602980
>i think the ability to select any color you wish actually hinders my ability to color
lol fucking poorfags fuck off.
>>
As someone who learnt the traditional way and only discovered digital work in later life, I'd recommend not trying to emulate real-life materials and tools with software. If all you want to do is make something that looks like a painting, use paint. Digital is it's own medium and it has it's strengths and weaknesses like any other. Trying to make a computer work like a paintbrush is as pointless as trying to make a airbrush work like a pencil.

Use the strengths of your tool. Use layers like a motherfucker. Have light and dark controlled by one layer and the colours on another. Use masking and paths.

Don't get distracted by the shiny shit though. You should be working mostly with simple round brushes and avoid filters like the plague. There are a lot of useless novelty features out there.
>>
>>2603694
taking short breaks every half hour or so to just walk around and look somewhere else will reduce your eye strain. and yeah if your monitor is so bright it's hurting your eyes turn it down. honestly you can't control how your painting looks on someone else's monitor anyways, so dont worry about that.
>>
>>2603712

Sounds good in theory but gives you less control over color in practice. True digital art masterrace is painting on as few layers as possible and avoiding using gimmicky blending modes.
>>
File: ctrlpaint-brushcontrol01-DONE.jpg (301KB, 1200x1350px) Image search: [Google]
ctrlpaint-brushcontrol01-DONE.jpg
301KB, 1200x1350px
>>2603712
Solid advice, complete with the site that anon posted it merges into one school of thought.

I would've tried to do this regular way, but after this thread i don't see a problem using masks at all.
>>
File: balls2.jpg (35KB, 446x350px) Image search: [Google]
balls2.jpg
35KB, 446x350px
So this guys videos were nice and provided some good pointers on working up into digital, but it seems that now it's just promotion or him trying to paint from photos badly.

is there any more courses that focus on digital, maybe paid ones?
>>
>>2605403
wrong link, this one
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TOLh8o5PtZYr4KYq3yIkUXXnaiU3n6fi-FZMJ4-gqCc/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>2605415
Okay, so i've burned through Basic Rendering videos and boy oh boy, does it get worse by the video.

From starters, the guy just can't paint from life, even from photos opened on the same screen.
And the farther it goes, it seems more and more stuff is getting separated in other videos, while he retells what he heard about in art school, with less focus on digital and more focus on basic drawing stuff we've been over.

My guess is there's no reason to watch the rest of those, since i doubt there's any nifty digital tricks left in there.

Any other videos/courses you can point me to that focus on digital medium and not a retelling of art school 101?

it feels like there's a void where people expanding on the digital medium should be, instead these tutorials are people awkwardly doing their process or someone talking big for mediocre results.
>>
>>2602980

Love you OP, this is exactly my problem atm. I'm trying to do both traditional and a little bit of digital every day and everything on my tablet takes such a fucking long time and looks like bland shit.

Many good tips here, I thank you for this thread.
>>
>>2602980

Some software simulates real-world tools, like Paint Tool Sai, but the fact of the matter is you have to relearn a lot of what you know for digital art, since it just doesn't behave the same.
>>
>>2602980

This is the best brush I've ever used in photoshop for drawing/sketching:

https://gumroad.com/l/dvgbe
>>
If you're not interested in jerking off to professional workflow then feel free to try Painter/ArtRage. Both have decent ability to simulate real life painting.
>>
File: zapazonga.png (42KB, 246x304px) Image search: [Google]
zapazonga.png
42KB, 246x304px
>>2602980
>you want a different color, you mix with the color you want to shift to
this is extremely hard op
>>
>>2603698
>my mum finally bought me the 72 copic set
>Why am I not gud yet :(
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.