[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Frank Cho just told DC Comics and Greg Rucka to fuck off after

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 22

File: wonder-woman-3-600x912.jpg (135KB, 600x912px) Image search: [Google]
wonder-woman-3-600x912.jpg
135KB, 600x912px
Frank Cho just told DC Comics and Greg Rucka to fuck off after they censored his cover of Wonder Woman by cropping it to hide her panties.

His statement:

>All the problem lies with Greg Rucka.

>EVERYONE loves my Wonder Woman covers and wants me to stay. Greg Rucka is the ONLY one who has any problem with covers. Greg Rucka has been trying to alter and censor my artwork since day one.

>Greg Rucka thought my Wonder Woman #3 cover was vulgar and showed too much skin, and has been spearheading censorship, which is baffling since my Wonder Woman image is on model and shows the same amount of skin as the interior art, and it’s a VARIANT COVER and he should have no editorial control over it. (But he does. WTF?!!!)

>I tried to play nice, not rock the boat and do my best on the covers, but Greg’s weird political agenda against me and my art has made that job impossible. Wonder Woman was the ONLY reason I came over to DC Comics.

>To DC’s credit, especially [Art Director] Mark Chiarello, they have been very accommodating. But they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

>I just wanted to be left alone and do my Wonder Woman variant covers in peace. But Greg Rucka is in a hostile power trip and causing unnecessary friction over variant covers.

What does /ic/ think?
>>
I don't know who any of those people are
>>
That Frank Cho is problematic.
His objectification of women is disgusting. He's a pervert and probably a rapist.
Why are such vulgar comics still published in 2016? He should be fired. That will be one less cis-male corrupting art.
>>
America is dying. Everyone is offended by everything
>>
This is the wakeup call I needed. For years I've dreamed of being a comic book artist but the culture of the industry is so far left that I'd be eaten alive. Kinda sad, but at least now I can focus 100% on being an anonymous storyboard artist.
>>
Source?i

This would probably be more appropriate on /co/ though.
>>
>>2602391

It's appropriate for here. /co/ can have their own discussion, but this is about an artist working in an industry and walking away from a gig because he was censored.

Here's the story: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/14/frank-cho-walks-off-wonder-woman-after-sixth-cover/
>>
File: disgonbegud.jpg (27KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
disgonbegud.jpg
27KB, 625x626px
>>2602387
>>
No joke, /pol/ was right yet again.

SJWs are ruining everything, vote Trump to be saved from this bullshit.

Between video games and now comics and art being censored, this SJWs need to fuck off
>>
File: 1459643111940.jpg (74KB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
1459643111940.jpg
74KB, 400x395px
>>2602380
i would be mad too but this cover doesn't even look that great anyway. her entire hip area looks absolutely fucked.

nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>2602402

10 FEET HIGHER
>>
>>2602393
>walking off after the sixth cover
Fuck, his variants are the only other reason I'm following the book. DC must want Rucka to stay real bad if they're entertaining anything he has to say about the variants.

Assuming Cho gets to keep the original art, I guess this'll just raise its value if he ever auctions it.
>>
>>2602380
ah, once again our society confuses a company making changes to a piece of media they paid for as censorship. honestly looking at the finished cover, the crop job improves the composition quite a bit, frank cho is just looking for a reason to be mad and probably hoping to bank him some alt-right "raaaggh, fuck the SJW" dollars.
>>
>>2602424
>hoping to bank him some alt-right "raaaggh, fuck the SJW" dollars.
>banking dollars
>by walking away
Could you explain how he's gonna get money out of it genius?
>>
>>2602424
>once again our society confuses a company making changes to a piece of media they paid for as censorship

You're a fucking idiot.

Censorship is censorship. Yes the company has the right to make changes to the media they paid for, but it doesn't change the fact that the change they're making is censorship.

They're altering an image to remove elements deemed unacceptable. That is the exact definition of censorship.

They have the right to do it, he has the right to call them out on it and tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>2602427
Outside of his work at DC Frank Cho lives on promotion through controversy. Every time he's in the center of the anti-SJW he gets mad exposure and everyone who buys into the whole muh liberals are tryna censor me schtick commissonshim or buys his shit to support the artist's struggle against the regressive left. You know our world is fucked when pandering to either extreme side of the spectrum works.

Politics aside, Frank should honestly just shut the fuck up and take his client's dollars instead of trying to be a psuedo celebrity. If he didn't want them to alter his shit he should've grown a pair and state that in his contract and risk not being picked up.
>>
>>2602427
dog, do you realize how easy it is to lead ravenous ideologues around by the nose? >>2602466 summed it up better than i could

>>2602430
lol, dude's a hired artist who is more or less creating a variant "advertisement" to stick on the front of the book. does the vision of the creative team behind the actual content on the pages inside said book matter? is frank cho drawing whatever the fuck he feels like instead of taking into context the creative intent of the people who actually made the comic he's being paid to draw a cover for? it's not like he has a history of disrespecting such creative teams in a professional context (oh... wait). then "oh no, someone cropped a drawing they paid me to do to overall improve the composition but also managed to coincidentally crop out the bottom of her leotard, cEENNSSOORRRSHIIPPP, time to act like the adult child i am and fall back on the support of other adult children if this goes too far south"

man and i say all this as someone who draws smut for a living and has to contend with the supposed "SJW" menace, tho to be honest most of them are just trolls from /pol/ looking to start shit and/or children too young to even be looking at my work from my experience.
>>
>>2602380
thats what happens when you put women in charge of anything
>>
>>2602380
Greg Rucka is the hero saving DC Comics.
>>
>>2602478
>overall improve the composition

Nope
>>
I don't know who any of those fags is but thinking that pic needs to be censored is retarded.
Throwing a hissy fit over it like that is just as retarded.
I'm actually glad I don't know any of them
>>
>>2602498

No, don't you see, showing a hint of Wonder Woman's panties under her extremely revealing (and editorially mandated) costume is keeping women out of the comic industry!!!!
>>
File: (you).jpg (68KB, 500x433px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
68KB, 500x433px
>>2602478
>overall improve the composition
nice lie you say to yourself.

>supposed "SJW" menace
yeah absolutely nothing of value was censored at all recently. nope. nothing. no Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, whatever.
And by the way the marvel universe is totally normal.

You forgot your profile pic.
>>
>>2602507
i don't hate sjw's tho, i'm apparently one of them cause i get called it all the time inbetween people calling me transphobic for drawing girls who happen to have really big dicks (and not wanting to out myself as trans just to get them off my dick because it would open me up to way worse harassment from the anti-sjw camp, lol)
also yeah, all those examples you listed, absolutely nothing of value was actually lost, unless you mean the money from angry people (which, unless you're a small scale creator(s) making their living off a fanbase, is not really worth that much)

>>2602491
a solid argument
definitely not giving the composition a stronger sense of motion and dynamicism as well as making wonder woman larger so she stands out more on the shelf, nope
>>
>>2602547
>definitely not giving the composition a stronger sense of motion and dynamicism as well as making wonder woman larger so she stands out more on the shelf, nope

Yep, definitely.
>>
>>2602548
listen, kid, you gotta truncate that last part for the burn to work, it's not even contestable, it can be backed up with a ruler

oh, i'm sorry, "truncate" means to shorten or crop something, i guess "censorship" as frank cho would call it
>>
>>2602380
>>2602548
>>2602547

Where is the cropped version? "Hiding her panties" means they cropped it at about the height of her right arm, right? In that case, it would be a terrible composition, definitely making it worse than the OP image. But I haven't seen the actual cropped image so no idea if that's what they did.
>>
>>2602601
finished version's can be found in the link >>2602393 posted

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/14/frank-cho-walks-off-wonder-woman-after-sixth-cover/
>>
>>2602547
>also yeah, all those examples you listed, absolutely nothing of value was actually lost

>it's not censorship if I don't care
as an """artist""" don't you care that some random fucker would just mess with what you do?
like, suppose that I'm supposed to distribute your shit in some country you don't speak the language, and make the main characters racists bigots. you wouldn't care right?

you know, it's typical abuser behaviour. you start by making small changes that are totally acceptable, but push your narrative. if you refuse to comply you are then overreacting, even if you see the endgame outright through the lies.
>>
I really am getting salty. I don't know who's to blame but censorship is fucking AWFUL.

Nintendo is censoring shit and now comics aren't even for males anymore.
>>
File: image.jpg (191KB, 596x866px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191KB, 596x866px
>>2602629
Marvel definitely isn't.
>that hilarious moment where they turned Civil War II into a soap opera about BLM

also, check out this quality from one of their lovely feminist artists.

I think the most ironic thing in all this is that these people have censored more than the 90's Christian moms they hated so much ever did. They have become worse than everything they hated... but I guess that's what happens.
>>
>>2602380
haha

This exact same thing happened to me for an illustration I did for gameloft. A very similar pose too. I had to put a stupid skirt on her.
>>
>>2602424
congrats, you're retarded.
>>
File: image.jpg (1009KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1009KB, 1988x3056px
>>2602640
I actually find this page pretty inspiring. If you can draw better than a deviantart anime artist then you are better than a professional comic artist at the moment.
>>
I gotta agree, the edited one does look better, and it looks like she just has a bare ass under there with no panties. Sometimes anti-SJWs almost go as full blown retarded as the SJWs.
>>
File: 1449533179111.jpg (43KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1449533179111.jpg
43KB, 200x200px
Why do comics pander to SJW's and feminists that don't even buy these comics?

Why would they say fuck you to the loyal fans who's been buying that shit since the 80's and 90's?

Don't they want money?

That's like if Japs said fuck you and stopped pandering to otaku and fujos and started pandering to a mainstream american audience that doesn't buy anything.
>>
>>2602658
to a niche american audience*

Meant to correct that.
>>
>>2602389
Isn't it wonderful though?
We are seeing the fall of the last empire. And by no other than their own people.
It is truly fascinating
>>
>>2602658
Cult mentality. They genuinely believe th shit they are putting in their comics so to them it would be better to take the whole ship down than go back to their old audience. The CEO of Target is a good example of this. The investors genuinely think he's nuts now and all he can do is spout out liberal buzzwords when they are trying to talk about why their business is failing and how he is making it worse.
>>
When the fuck are people going to learn what censorship means. If not for the internet and people posting all the behind-the-scenes stuff, no one would even know the final image had been changed. This sums it up well:

>Haha “censorship” in a work for hire contract that he signed away any ownership rights to on some else's intellectual property. It's not called censorship; it's called being given editorial notes. Oh , oh I can hear you saying , “but, but, but… Rucka's just the writer!” Well, it doesn't matter where the notes originated because it is the editors that have Frank any instructions based upon them. Rucka's has exactly as much influence as editorial allows him to have. No more than that. So the buck stops at the editors. It's looks like that wasn't working for Cho, so he walked. That's cool. End of story. Now he can go somewhere else and draw all the bent over women he wants in peace to his heart's content.

>>2602568
>oh, i'm sorry, "truncate" means to shorten or crop something, i guess "censorship" as frank cho would call it
A+
>>
>>2602658
>Why do comics pander to SJW's and feminists that don't even buy these comics?
uhh, do research dip shit. The new Lady Thor comic sold extremely well. More so than ever before

I hate SJW bullshit but you're not doing anyone a favor by being retarded.
>>
>>2602676
censorship
"the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts."

Congrats, you're retarded.
>>
>>2602692
You do realize those sales dropped off almost immediately right? Hell, the new Squirrel Girl did so bad they had to re-reboot it. As of now I believe Gwenpool is the only thing that is doing okay.
>>
>>2602696
Lmao, that's literally part of the development process.
>>
>>2602701
That would be quality control, this is "feeling" control.
>>
>>2602703
It's only ever quality control, it's the same shit. Always.
>>
Weren't XMen always a pretty obvious civil rights analogue? And XMen were Marvel's biggest cash cow. So they've doubled down on civil rights issues since that was what everyone was buying. They used to have a couple token non-white characters in their civil rights propaganda, but it was mostly superior white male ubermench characters being victimized and then obtaining justice. Now they've started switching them over to brownies and women more. Profits have not declined I don't think. Next step is to get more brown and female writers and artists. Maybe bring back the Blob and do a series about the tortuous existence that comes along with being a fatty.
>>
>>2602640
>they turned Civil War II into a soap opera about BLM
Lol what? I need proof
>>
>>2602642
Post pic? Or name the game?
>>
>>2602707
was a reply to
>>2602658
>>
>>2602654
>>2602640
What comic is that?
>>
>>2602705
Wrong, quality control would be finding the errors and refining the art, this was not an error nor did it refine the picture. There was no reason to omit the panties and from the sounds of it they didn't consult the artist. It sounds more like somebody found it personally offensive and may have even had a vendetta against the artist so he edited and censored his work. By definition what he did was censorship.
>>
>>2602705
jesus christ the stupid is coming in strong today.
>>
>>2602640
>>2602654

This shit is the real reason why more women don't draw comics.

Most of their art is either shit or just not a match for mainstream comics.

Successful female artists like Becky Cloonan and Nicola Scott and Amanda Connor don't draw like Tumblrites. Go figure.
>>
>>2602658

This isn't pandering to a demographic that doesn't buy comics.

The comic community is mostly made up of young liberals. This shit is appeasing the existing market.
>>
>>2602717
>nor did it refine the picture
That's entirely subjective.

>>2602718
It falls under the same umbrella of quality control. Get over it. Faggots like you would see concept art and call the final design censorship because it wasn't as risque as the concept. Kill yourself.
>>
>>2602696
That's called editing, retard. If the editors decided her hair was covering an unacceptable amount of her face, or the composition was unacceptably off-balance, would that be censorship? (I'll spell it out for you: no) It can go the other way too. If Cho was hired to do a pinup and it just came out bland, the editors could decide it "unacceptably" unsexy.

He was hired to do something. The people hiring him have final say over how it looks. That's it. The government did not come in after the fact and force them to crop it because it's obscene; THAT would be censorship.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>2602708
Meet the AMERICOPS!! Dreaded oppressors of black folk and black heroes alike! They are also a big part of Civil War II for whatever reason.

>>2602716
Hellcat.
>>2602732
Most women with actual talent are passed up for the ones that have none for whatever reason.
>>
>>2602707

The X-Men were a metaphor for civil rights, but on the flipside Tony Stark as originally designed was basically Trump and was created specifically to piss off the young liberals who read Marvel comics.

Nowadays every superhero HAS to be a lefty. The days of right wing superheroes like Batman and Green Lantern are gone.
>>
>>2602618
cause removal of boob sliders and human petting minigames, or aging up characters in some attempt to make things slightly less creepy, or replacing canned dialogue with jokes are analogous with whatever you cast under the scary umbrella of "racism" and "bigotry" which you then coat with a layer of tactless co-opting of abuse to talk about minor edits made to a video game with the intent to make it more palatable (read: sell better) in different markets

but yeah, sure, when i ignore all context it's very easy to see two drastically different things as equivalent

>>2602658
>Why would they say fuck you to the loyal fans who's been buying that shit since the 80's and 90's?
cause they're gonna die, lol, there's less and less of them each year, and their money is worth less and less thanks to inflation. tho most of their attempts to pander to the younger left are tokenistic at best on top of receiving next to no promotion (besides the free press bump from all the news outlets at announcement) and then they wonder why they don't sell.

also japan has an entirely different market that isn't comparable to the US, but their animation industry is kinda fucked over by a lack of truly skilled animators because while they are producing a lot of content that sells well, most people who're actually good at animating are not interested in the content/incredibly low wage combo (not to mention they tend to get snatched up by any worthwhile project cause they're so rare to come across) which leads to a lot of lackluster quality across the board, so otaku are actually kind of fucking up the industry through their own demands
>>
>>2602739

You're a retard.

There's a huge difference between altering something because it's bad and altering something because it's offensive or you disagree with it.

The image was not redrawn in response to constructive criticism, it was cropped by the editor because the writer found it offensive. They might as well have slapped a big black bar over her ass, it's the same thing. It's fucking censorship.
>>
I'm amazed at COMIC WRITERS thinking they're more important than the artists

No one would read a comic if it was only words, and most of the time their stories are cringe inducing
>>
>>2602754
>it's bad and altering something because it's offensive or you disagree with it.
No, there literally is no difference.
>>
>>2602758

There absolutely is.
>>
>>2602755
If I had it I'd post some of the pregnant Spider-woman issue. It was almost all words and reused art.
>>
>>2602759
No, there isn't. What's bad is relative to the person going over the work in the first place. So no, there is no fucking difference. It's all the same shit.
>>
>>2602758
>literally
>>
>>2602466
>not wanting your art censored
>extreme side of the spectrum
????
>>
>>2602717
frank cho openly antagonizes other creatives in his field and willfully ignores the creative vision of the projects he is often paid to represent and then whines when minor changes are made to fit the artistic decisions of the actual creatives behind the works he makes money off, he is not a team player. i have no idea why he keeps getting work for projects he obviously doesn't fit with, the people in upper management at both marvel and dc sucks balls at their job.

>>2602755
and nobody would read comics if it was just pictures thrown together thoughtlessly, it's almost like they work together to create something greater than the sum of it's parts
>>
>>2602754
>There's a huge difference between altering something because it's bad and altering something because it's offensive or you disagree with it.
No, there isn't. Again, you're missing the minor point he was HIRED TO DO THIS. They can change it however the fuck they want because ultimately it's their comic. If you're going to insult someone to their face but then decide not to is that censorship to you? Probably.

>>2602750
>their animation industry is kinda fucked over by a lack of truly skilled animators
Exact opposite. They have an overabundance of skilled animators, so the studios can get away with paying them only a dollar an hour. If they have a problem with it, there's more where they came from.
>>
File: 1467850598967.png (1MB, 1349x710px) Image search: [Google]
1467850598967.png
1MB, 1349x710px
>>2602478
>time to act like the adult child
>this fuckin post
>>
>>2602779
>Again, you're missing the minor point he was HIRED TO DO THIS.

THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT IT IS CENSORSHIP
>>
>>2602775
>and nobody would read comics if it was just pictures thrown together thoughtlessly

>what are artbooks
>what are covers
>what are posters
>what is any kind of visual media
>>
>>2602380
I like the cropped pic better compositionally, but to crop it without the author's approval doesn't seem ethical. No need to bash Greg Rucka though, he just doesn't want to deal with the outrage of SJW cunts who are eating America alive.
If they can't grow a thick skin, they shouldn't survive in this society, that's how natural selection /used to/ work.
>>
>>2602780
>>2602781
Pretty sure it's summer or tumblr, either or is ignore them from here on in. The definition was posted, they are ignoring or making excuses for it at this point.

It's better to waste your time drawing than talking to people who don't want to talk.
>>
>>2602775
There are millions of people in this world who have never read a Batman, Spiderman or Superman comic yet they know what's it about just by looking at images

There's really no argument to be made here, writers in comics have at best 20% the relevance artists do
>>
>>2602785
>he just doesn't want to deal with the outrage of SJW cunts who are eating America alive.

It's doubtful people would notice it. Wonder Woman has been running around in panties for 75 years. The fact that she is now wearing a skirt over those panties makes no difference.
>>
>>2602779
>They have an overabundance of skilled animators
you're right until the skilled part, it's an overabundance of hobbyist who bring down the overall wage because they are willing to work for cheap because they don't need the money/it's their dream to work in the industry and most otaku don't care that much about animation quality as long as the faces aren't too goofy and the writing appeals to them, the ones who do are merely a niche within a niche
>>
>>2602482
>Greg Rucka
>female
>>
>>2602707
>Weren't XMen always a pretty obvious civil rights analogue?
Not really. The persecution complex wasn't blatant until after the comic was canceled and then revamped years later.

>>2602746
The Americop isn't even a new character. Plus that's in a fucking tie-in issue that has nothing to do with the main event.
>>
>>2602783
we're talking about comic books, artbooks are for (for lack of a better term) superfans of either an IP or a creator, covers are advertisements and to a less extent similar to artbooks, posters are display memorabilia

>>2602790
yeah, but batman, spider-man and superman didn't reach that level of iconography through drawing alone, it's the writing behind those characters and what those creative teams wanted them to represent. i'm not trying to say the writers are more important, just that i view them as equal to the artist when it comes to making a good comic book.

>>2602785
the whole purpose of society is to circumnavigate natural selection
>>
>>2602790
Writing literally carries comics.

Having good art with abysmal writing is essentially a polished turd of a comic book.

To try and argue that good writing can't carry a comic is to basically reveal you have the utmost shit taste in storytelling.
>>
>>2602811
They have talked about it in multiple issues and they have definitely repurposed the character.

With "Occupy Avengers" coming out this will definitely play a big part of Civil War II.
>>
>>2602394
nieh, too obvious
>>
>>2602380
>We /co/ now

Cho ain't that great tbw senpai
>>
File: 1467911115361.jpg (62KB, 658x764px) Image search: [Google]
1467911115361.jpg
62KB, 658x764px
>>2603184
He's not. I just like the way he draws girls, that's it.
>>
>>2602827
>Having good art with abysmal writing is essentially a polished turd of a comic book.
so... every comic book?
>>
>>2603262
>every

Mainstream shit isn't "every". But most comic books are ass, yes.
>>
>>2603243
yeah like with bad anatomy and flat design
>>
Should've just covered her with a fucking burqa and be done with it
>>
>>2603243
>do anatomy study
>paste on an anime head
>color everything green
Nothing against Frank Cho but this is terrible
>>
File: 1440440787259.gif (11KB, 227x224px) Image search: [Google]
1440440787259.gif
11KB, 227x224px
>People getting mad about comics being censored
>Not considering self publishing
>>
>>2602380
He didn't tell them to fuck off, he couldn't work with Rucka so DC drafted him to Trinity because they begged both to work for them and both had one condition: Wonder Woman.
Rucka showed he's a petty bitch who can't work with anyone that goes against his wholesome nu-male feminist bitch image. If Cho can look past his irrational hate for Superman and draw him well just to keep drawing Wonder Woman, we'll know who really loves her most.
>>
>>2602692
Every number 1 sells like hot cakes.
Black Panther #1 sold 200K
Squirrel Girl #1 sold 200K
Whor #1 sold 200K
Batman #51 sold 200K, he's the only superhero that sells that kind of numbers all run long while others fall down into 20-30K, and the only IP that is still valuable as a comic book even if there were not ridiculous ammounts of merchandise about him.

"Lady Thor" selling 200K once, doesn't mean it's comic is doing good, Batman selling 200K 52 times in a row means it's comic is doing good.
>>
>>2602805
He identifies as female.
Wish I was kidding.
He's also a jew, because /pol/ has to be right all the fucking time.
>>
>>2602827
If this was true Madureira, Silvestri and Campbell wouldn't have careers.
Oh and their careers are entirely supported by their particular styles, to be even more anti-/ic/, you can totally be contemporary graphic storytelling superstar without adhering to Loomis.
>>
>>2603323
>western stylization
>face actually has a nose and features
>anime head
Are you mentally ill?
>>
>>2603402
don't forget rob liefeld, people like to hate on him and even the man himself will joke about his own work occasionally but for a while he was one of the biggest names in comics all because of how ridiculously distinct his work was... for better or for worse.
>>
>>2602717
It is in error, look at the hips, you shouldn't be able to see the panties from this angle.

if I were greg cucka I'd force cho to redo the entire cover, he draws women really well, he should be able to put out better work than the OP pic.
>>
File: 996227-liefeld.jpg (29KB, 400x306px) Image search: [Google]
996227-liefeld.jpg
29KB, 400x306px
>>2603425
>http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

how did he get a job
>>
>>2603491
i remember reading a story about how the first pencil job he ever did he did it sideways (like you know how pencilers draw on those big 11x17 bristol boards? yeah, those, in fuckin landscape orientation) and the editor had to go and cut up all the frames and somehow rearrange it in a printable manner, like even just looking at how fucking goofy his art is, it's still not enough to fully grasp just how outta left field rob liefeld's work was in the most unexpected ways
>>
>>2603491
>how did he get a job
Because when he wasn't working on creator owned stuff he actually consistently put out multiple books a month that sold hundreds of thousands of copies.

People are talking about how some of the new books that appeal to SJWs sold 200,000 for their number one issue, his XForce number one sold 1,000,000. He, and the rest of the guys who would found Image, got really popular doing XTREME and moody or psychopathic anti hero characters and books because it was new.
>>
>>2603491

Liefeld got work because he was a post-McFarlane artist who drew in that style. When McFarlane hit the scene on Hulk and Spider-Man it was a huge hit and people started clamoring for art in that vein. Liefeld was one of several (Lee, Silvestri, Portaccio, Larsen, etc) who drew that way.

Right place at the right time. That's it. But compare his career now to McFarlane and Lee's. McFarlane has an empire, Lee is publisher of DC, Liefeld is coasting on Deadpool's popularity.

>>2603495

That's not the whole story. The story he was drawing featured scenes in another dimension. In previous books scenes in that dimension were drawn in landscape. Liefeld drew those scenes in landscape as well but without the editor's approval.
>>
File: 080.jpg (30KB, 600x691px) Image search: [Google]
080.jpg
30KB, 600x691px
>>2602387
>>
>>2604514
thanks captain obvious
>>
>>2602394
>>2604514
Think it was supposed to be obvious sarcasm and not b8
>>
>>2603400
>males
>"women"
>>
File: image.jpg (394KB, 600x917px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
394KB, 600x917px
>>2602404
>Speaking ill of Frank Cho

Go on, post some of your art...
>>
>>2602692
lol this idiot
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 354x500px
>>2602827
The very 'best' comic writers currently working wouldn't last five minutes in the world of serious literature. They're glorified bloggers carried by the artistic talent they love to shit on so profusely.

>>2603400
God dammit I was hoping you were making that up...

http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-wondercon-panel-dc/
>>
>>2604761
Not to mention that there are plenty of good wordless stories
>>
File: star_wars_visions_moebius.jpg (679KB, 1600x1178px) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_visions_moebius.jpg
679KB, 1600x1178px
>>2604789
Also the very, very best comics are always made by people who are artists first and foremost.

Funny that.
>>
>>2602664
>And by no other than their own people
that's usually how it happens, starting with internal erosion. not terribly surprising.
>>
>>2604761
>The very 'best' comic writers currently working wouldn't last five minutes in the world of serious literature.
I don't think they plan to. They're writing stories about fucking musclemen punching each other. Also, are you implying comic art WOULD be taken seriously?
>>
>>2605110
Comic art is exhibited worldwide at this point.

Even Alan Moore is sneered at by the literati.
>>
>>2604761
>wouldn't last five minutes in the world of serious literature
You mean mainstream comics?
>>
>>2605118
>Maus - Pulitzer Prize
>Watchmen
>Sandman
Are you one of those newfags who started shitting about muh lit everywhere after reading two - three books?
>>
>>2604761
>The very 'best' comic writers currently working wouldn't last five minutes in the world of serious literature. They're glorified bloggers carried by the artistic talent they love to shit on so profusely.

But many of them are, which is how some of them, usually, get jobs as writers at DC and Marvel.
>>
>>2605128
I'm fairly well-read literature-wise and I'm fairly well-read comic-wise.

I think it's fair to say that comics rarely, if ever, approach the level of quality literature. The only exceptions that stand out to me are auteur works by writer-artists (Akira, assorted Moebius comics, etc) and a few very rare exceptions like Jodorowsky's collaborations with Moebius. Again, Jodorowsky is a filmmaker which reinforces my belief that the very best, most artistic, most meaningful comics are created by persons or people with the mindset to tell a story visually, as opposed to some hack writer bitter they couldn't get picked up for anything other than blogging or the new run of Aqualad.

>>2605148
Bloggers, you mean? Yes, I suppose many of them are nowadays. I still can't believe Marvel actually hired Kate Leth of all people.
>>
>>2602380
Wonder Woman isn't his character. He is doing artwork for a licensed property as commissioned by the company the license holder. He HAS to be abide by their rules. If he doesn't then they can just find someone else to do it. This is the reality of the business. He may think he's making a statement to Greg Rucka, but, ultimately, he just lost a job. If he wants to change how tight of a grip a license holder has on their licensed property then he can draft a bill and take it to

If he wants to draw sexy Wonder Woman then he can do it on his own time. If he wants to draw Wonder Woman for DC then he has to be abide by THEIR rules.

End of story.
>>
>>2605153
Did you just get into comics yesterday or are you doing this on purpose?

Ultimately, wanting to secure someone with a sizable following to create for you isn't weird nor is this the first or last time? Whether these stories will stand the test of time is another thing.
>>
>>2605168
>and take it to Congress or a petition site
>>
>>2605172
I've been into comics for 20 years.

Kate Leth having a handful of screeching Tumblrites nodding respectfully at her every word does not constitute a 'sizeable following', as the sales of Hellcat being in the gutter will attest to.
>>
>>2605153

I would say that there's way more great books because there's way more books, and comics are still in their infancy in comparison to litterature.

You should be fair and compare works for hire in comics to works for hire in litterature. Let me assure you that the last World of Warcraft book I read wasn't better than the comics.
>>
>actually caring about capeshit
>garbage corporate fanfiction for manchildren then
>garbage corporate fanfiction for sjws now
Cho draws softporn garbage, why would you hire this guy if you didn't want his softcore garbage???
>>
>>2602380
So the chink is upset DC covered up his pantsu?

Hilarious.
>>
File: 1382149999818.png (588KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1382149999818.png
588KB, 1440x810px
>>2602402
>making me choose between "SJWs" and /pol/
how about i choose none of you triggered retards? two sides of the same coin.
>>
abloo bloo blooo waaaaaaahhhh
>>
>>2602790
>There's really no argument to be made here, writers in comics have at best 20% the relevance artists do

you have honestly NO idea what you're talking about
>>
>>2605207
>smug anime
You have chosen wisely weeb-kun.
/co/mblr culture wars are nothing but poison.
>>
>>2605213
Superhero comics are literal mad libs tier writing.
Kill yerself capeshit.
>>
>>2605220
dude i don't even read nor like cape comics. it's a stupid genre for adult children with no taste. comics still mostly involve writing, whether or not the writing is good isn't the point. one of the problems with cape comics really is the overdeveloped art, especially with not many artists in the field having the talent to back up the realism they're aspiring for
>>
>>2605220
>>2605225
>implying all cape comics have bad writing because youve only read random issues of batboy and spoderman

Dont be so angry that you have bad taste
Just expand your horizons, friendo
>>
>>2605234
the thing is that i have too much non-cape stuff i'm interested in that i can never come close to keeping up with. i really don't have any reason to bother cape
>>
>>2602424

I don't get the cashgrab argument that people throw around. If that demographic was truly profitable, then you would see AAA gaming companies, Hollywood films, and television shows catering to them first. Not indie artists.

>>2605220

Watchmen was really dope though. All though it had a spectrum of both right and left-wing ideals, it presented them fairly.

You don't see those types of things in contemporary comics, so I just "read" literature instead. Reading the Bible is more tolerable and inclusive now at this point. There's even a story about a female war commander from the Book of Judges.
>>
>>2605253
It's a way to try to make capeshit "relevant" trying to bust out of their self imposed ghetto because all the new hires are "sjw" lefty activists.

Remember, it's an ideological war, it can never end and they will take down the entire industry if they can.
>>
File: WQvxd0H.png (250KB, 622x348px) Image search: [Google]
WQvxd0H.png
250KB, 622x348px
>this thread
Turns out all those faggots bitchin' about animu were /co/mblr capeshitters who are deluded enough to think their babby tier battle shonen are somehow relevant or important to modern culture and not just comfortfood for neckbeards and Hollywood VFX plebfeed.
>>
>>2602380
I like Cho, he draws nice titties.
That animal comic strip he did was webcomic tier garbage though I guess he did start it back in college.
>>
>>2605272

I wouldn't worry too much since it's just nerds fighting against nerds. Instead of Xbox vs Playstation or DC vs Marvel, it's skimpy clothing vs modest clothing.

The "alt-right" clique is pretty harmless too. Although they constantly denounce progressive subject matter, they won't bother to take it down. Those people still have their jobs and are prolific in making comics like "superman helps the wheelchair-bound blm feminist while beating up trump".
>>
File: hita-hita-2072491.png (314KB, 963x1400px) Image search: [Google]
hita-hita-2072491.png
314KB, 963x1400px
>>2605153
You menthion Jodorowsky, but not all filmakers were literature writers. Book need words, but you can draw comic without any words. Look at BD. Difference between writing in BD and west comics is huge.
>>
>>2602380

Never having seen him, I would bet a fair sum of money that Greg Rucka is an overweight man who uses facial hair to hide his lack of a jawline. These self-styled "male feminists" in geeky jobs almost always fit this image.
>>
File: gregrucka.jpg (110KB, 640x360px)
gregrucka.jpg
110KB, 640x360px
>>2605775

hahaha
>>
>>2605253
niche markets, my dude
it's profitable enough if you're just trying to make a few dozen grand a year and it fits your ideology (or you have nothing else to offer that would set you out from your contemporaries)
hollywood, tv and AAA games try to appeal to the broadest base, and right now, that means moderate progressive values (aka pretending to care about legitimate social issues, but hey, major corporations attempting to look like they care about anything other than money is an argument for a different thread)
>>
>>2605168
Wow Mr. Hardass Randian dipshit, I'm so impressed by your no nonsense way of speaking and lack of regard for artistic agency.

>Hire someone to draw Wonder Woman
>But he's not allowed to draw her the way he wants to draw her, that's not why we hired him or anything
'Kay, makes sense
>>
>>2602380
He needed long to notice that Wonder Woman is target of political agendas for good half a decade now.
>>
File: smuggie.jpg (44KB, 879x657px) Image search: [Google]
smuggie.jpg
44KB, 879x657px
>>2605207
>>
>>2602380
so did frank really quit?
>>
>>2605775
Fuck me fampai, you got it
>>
>>2606399
Weebs are literally above you though.
Nippon worshipers laugh at your inability to control your crazy women and beta faggots from pissing on your comics, movies and games.

That's how pathetic you are, even daki hugging waifu fags find you risible.
>>
>>2606399
you're doing it wrong. you should've said that i have no "opinion". that's what you retarded black and white fags would usually do.
why don't you go find some SJWs or minorities to get outraged over?
>>
>>2606546
oh fucking kek
>>
>>2606399
>Implying /pol/ and SJWs are different.
>>
>>2605815
Welcome to the real world. A lot of license holders are assholes and certain companies are super strict (such as Hello Kitty).

That being said, his art director should have complained to his bosses about it. If his bosses didn't do anything about this then that means that DC complied. If they didn't know anything then that means that Mark (Frank's art director) didn't do shit.
>>
>>2602547
>They hired him to do work.
>He agreed to do what he did.
>He did it.
>They cut off a bit.
>He doesn't like them wasting his time on those bits he cut off.
>They have a disagreement.
>Cho leaves.
>Media asks him why.
>He tells them.

Sounds pretty fair.
>>
>>2602654
>>2602640

Holy shit most the people in the beginner thread are already above modern 'professional' level.

I think it might be time to become comic artists.
>>
>>2602755
Some comic writers are good. That isn't really fair. There are plenty who are successful in prose and graphic, like Neil Gaiman or Joe Hill.

I get your talking about the average hack though.
>>
>>2604750
Just because someone is good doesn't mean you can't criticize their flaws.
>>
>>2606408
He was drafted to Trinity.
>>
>>2606600
Not unless you have a vagoo.
>>
>>2606600
Unless they live in NY and have interned at Marvel for a few years, no.
>>
>>2606399
If you think that /pol/ can be adequately described as "anti-sjw" then you might be an actual retard.
Thread posts: 161
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.