[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>refill infinitely >affordable options >incredible line

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: fountainpens.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
fountainpens.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>refill infinitely
>affordable options
>incredible line quality and width choice, and variation if you want
>literally any color ink you could ever want

Why does anyone use Microns and Faber Castell and other felt tip pens? The tips break down so quick you end up wasting so much money one them. Why are you not fountain pen master race?
>>
File: 20913-OAA3ww-l.jpg (60KB, 569x600px) Image search: [Google]
20913-OAA3ww-l.jpg
60KB, 569x600px
>>2575547
>Fountain pen.
>No fucking dip pen nibs.

NotGonnaMakeIt/10

I agree tho, Microns are for weebs.
>>
>>2575557
This
>>
>>2575547
A lot of fountain pens are high maintenance and unreliable compared to felt tip pens, not something most normies want to get into. You also don't get a really fine nib outside of japanese pens, very little line variation compared to dip nibs, and limited choices for actually waterproof ink.

I love fountain pens (probably spent more money on pens and ink than most people would consider reasonable), but for inking I'd definitely recommend going with dip nibs instead.
>>
>>2575618
>I love fountain pens

Who doesn't?

I always sign (everything legal, work, and shit) with a fountain pen + cyan ink.
>>
File: IMG_8229.jpg (368KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8229.jpg
368KB, 1600x1200px
i switch between hi-tec-c's and the pentel pocket brush pen. both aren't that expensive to get refills for, you can get different colours for both (if you want to DIY your brush pen), hi tec c's are water soluble so you can give pen sketches a quick colour wash (pic related, not my work)

tried to get into dip and fountain pens but they're just too uncomfortable, and i'm not really into the lines you get out of them
>>
>>2575618
>>2575618
>>2575568
>>2575557

In a lot of ways dip pens are superior but they are a totally different tool that happens to use a metal nib. I also feel like if you are going to use a dip pen, just use a brush. But strictly comparing fountain pens to felt tip pens, which is what I was doing, it's no contest.
>>
>>2575711

damn bruh, what pen is that? I typically only buy things that are not water soluble so I never have tried for that effect. I also always questioned combing hatching with a "wash" like that but that looks great.
>>
>>2575732
the one in the picture is a hi tec c coleto multi pen. i have one and it's really convenient and customisable, but not as comfortable to use as a standard hi tec c pen, and the ink doesn't last as long. other than that, the ink and pen tips between a coleto/maica/standard hi tec c pen are identical.
>>
I need a pen thats water and alcohol proof. And I wont feel bad about losing a felt tip pen as much as I would lose an expensive fountain pen. But I use brush pens more, and those are refillable
>>
File: 4033.jpg (38KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
4033.jpg
38KB, 600x400px
>>2575730
>strictly comparing fountain pens to felt tip pens

>Fountain pens

Superior in almost every way... but they're, more or less, a writing tool.

>Felt tip pens

Cheap as fuck and also refillable (You open that shit and pour ink inside). They're pretty affordable, but you don't have any flexibility compared to any other inking tool.

I see only amateurs use it, while some pros recommend getting anything else. (because they have big bucks, yes, and you have to buy a bunch of Microns).

>just use a brush

Pentel pocket brush. My weapon of choice (cheap and refillable, if you're a jew, you can refill the empty cartridges with a syringe).
>>
>>2575750

I've wanted one but hi tec c pens don't really seem available in stores, i'll have to try online.

>>2575778

What type of pen and ink are you talking about?
>>
>>2575797
>What type of pen and ink are you talking about?

For what?
>>
>>2575797
i've also heard pilot g-tec-c4's are identical to hi tec c but sold in the west. i haven't seen them in stores but maybe you'll come across them
>>
>>2575547
>complains about replaceble felt tip pens
Is it the price? lol, you might as well get a tablet you poorfag.
>>
>>2575557

Do you have a recommendation for dip pen nibs? I'm hoping to get into dip pens.
Also nib holders, though I assume those are less important.
>>
>>2575821
>fountain pens
>poorfag
what

>>2575839
Not the guy you're replying to, but a G nib will be good for 99% of whatever you want to ink, and a Maru or other mapping nib for very thin lines. If you want tons of line variation, something like a Hunt/Speedball 101.
>>
File: 001.jpg (465KB, 1227x1600px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
465KB, 1227x1600px
>>2575839
I'm not an expert, but this link should give you a starting point.

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-nibs-and-nib-holders/pt/763

Read pic related. It has lots of useful advice, even if you're not into comics.
>>
>>2575852
Is it just me or Speedball nibs rust very quickly regardless of container?
>>
who /lamy/ here
>>
>>2575886

Do you wash them and clean the ink after using 'em?
>>
>>2575906
yes. I clean them with rubbing alcohol after I'm done using them
>>
>>2575711
Hi-Tec-C as far as I know isn't really waterproof. Weird, the reason I switch to Micron is because Hi-Tec-C wasn't waterproof. Maybe it can stand a bit of water, but for a full painting, I don't think it can.
>>
>>2575618
>I love fountain pens (probably spent more money on pens and ink than most people would consider reasonable)

>tfw seriously thinking of getting the entire sailor storia ink line in the next year or so

save me senpai, i'm a retard

coloured waterproof fountain pen ink that can be mixed is cool, but most places are unreliable with what's readily available. certain noodler's colours that are bulletproof (aside from black) are kind of hard to find, and those that are water-resistant still have kind of a bad bleed to them. i think some of their browns, blues, greens, don't have too much of a problem, but have heard bad things about that brand for ink mixing. any other brand with coloured inks are usually not very water resistant, if at all. places that specialize in fountain pens/fountain pen inks don't have really in depth reviews listed for ink properties relating to drawing; limited research sucks

i know the entire 24 (1oz) set of ph martin's bombay india inks (and some dip pen accessories & brushes on top of that) are considerably cheaper than the eight (2oz) storia inks, but damn. storias are really a luxury item anyway.
>>
File: 20150224_8dfa51.jpg (56KB, 581x800px) Image search: [Google]
20150224_8dfa51.jpg
56KB, 581x800px
>>2575955
oops not 2oz, 1oz. got the size mixed up with the nano-black sailor ink
>>
>>2575955
They're not that expensive if you buy from Japan, but getting all 8 definitely seems excessive. With that much money you could buy a really nice pen or a good set of watercolors instead.
For mixing I'd probably get 3 or so, and then add more later if you feel like you need to. If you don't need them to be waterproof and aren't too precious with your pens I'd recommend trying some Ecoline instead. They're supposedly not fountain pen safe, but at least on my Parallel pens they behave absolutely fine.
>>
>>2575995
best deal i saw online, as that's the only way i can get it in my area, is on amazon with prime shipping (under 20 usd for a bottle). their properties regarding water (so i could use with watercolours & other shit), aside from being coloured, is exactly why i've interest in them. if not for those things, i'd jump all over the better deal with a noodler's ink for example (around 15 usd for a 3oz bottle, under/over depending on colour, shipping, and rarity).

yellow, blue, red is the way to go as far as the basic mixing set i'd reckon. i already have pink & light brown; definitely as advertised - pretty colours and pretty waterproof. the pens i can spare for them though are platinum preppy 03 & 05 (lamy safari saved for black inks). syringe that shit up after a good cleaning and it's good to go.
i've been trying to read up more on jinhao pens. apparently certain ones can be modded with a g-nib and are cheaper than most other fountain pens, including preppy & parallel mentioned here. there has to be a catch to it to make them so cheap though.

overall though i would not recommend all this fuss unless someone has the spending money and really wants these storia inks desu. like you said, they could invest in a watercolour set and fountain pen & proper ink OR a few bombay inks & a good assortment of dip pens/brushes/etc

if noodler's would only have more waterproof options with a few more colours, that would be swell.
>>
>>2576082
>best deal i saw online, as that's the only way i can get it in my area, is on amazon with prime shipping (under 20 usd for a bottle)
Try J-Subculture or Engeika, they're under $12 a bottle. Shipping will be expensive, though.

>i've been trying to read up more on jinhao pens. apparently certain ones can be modded with a g-nib and are cheaper than most other fountain pens, including preppy & parallel mentioned here. there has to be a catch to it to make them so cheap though.
I have an X750, got it for $3 from ebay. Free shipping and converter included. It's actually a pretty decent pen. The stock nib took a bit of pressure to write with but it was perfectly smooth. Swap it out for a better #6 and you got a winner, as long as you don't mind the looks.
As for fitting it with a Zebra G nib, it's great when it works, but most of the time it doesn't. Inkflow is inconsistent, the feed has trouble keeping up with any amount of flexing, and it'll dry if left unused for even a day. You also have to be constantly emptying and cleaning the pen if you don't want the nib to rust. It's really not worth the hassle of putting it on.
>>
File: vilppumeme.png (80KB, 243x247px) Image search: [Google]
vilppumeme.png
80KB, 243x247px
>>2575557
Oh sure, it's not like any masters even use fountain pens...
>>
>>2576515
>Muh fevrit mangaka uses fountain pen.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>2576614
> lord Vilppu is a mangaka
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 457x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 457x375px
>>2576618
>I buy same material as Vilppu.
>>
File: Screenshot_6.png (273KB, 405x514px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.png
273KB, 405x514px
>>2576614

what did you just say about master vilppu you little bitch?
>>
>>2576623
>>2576515

Sorry, but you're never gonna make it.
>>
>>2576496
looks like engeika has the better deals, not counting shipping. that site & amazon sort of "even themselves out" in my case, but could be really helpful for others to get onto the former site if they don't mind the shipping concerns and/or lack prime shipping.

that's too bad about jinhao & g-nib, but at least on its own it seems decent with everything considered.

thanks for all your help & advice anon
>>
>>2575903

I just have Noodler's Ahab which I use for drawing almost exclusively for like a month now after not being able to stick with any one pen for more than a month or so before, and a pilot metropolitan.

I really like the looks of the Lamy Joy though, but the white one isn't available. What you use brah?

>>2575806

interesting, I unintentionally looked for them at Staples and the two best art stores in town and niether had them, and now that I see them I realize I've never seen them before. It's weird because they seem so popular online. I also really want to try the Pentel Slicci, and I know Hobby Lobby has those, but it was like 4 dollars a pen.
>>
>>2577266

oops, meant to say I've been using the Ahab for like 6 months. With Noodler's Heart of Darkness, which came with the Charlie pen, which is a fun little pen but it burps too often, though that doesn't matter because I just sketch and don't do anything important.

Also anyone ever use the TWSBI Diamond AL 580 (or the non AL ones)? I kind of want a pen in a medium nib but it needs to never skip (my Ahab skips a lot when going fast) and have an extremely wide writing radius angle (I have a Parker 51 that has a quite small sweet spot that makes it impossible for drawing).
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.