[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are today's "illustration giants"? It seems

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: nc-wyeth-giant1.jpg (164KB, 853x1029px) Image search: [Google]
nc-wyeth-giant1.jpg
164KB, 853x1029px
Who are today's "illustration giants"? It seems in the past there were people who were huge figures even in their day, and everyone knew their massive impact and that they would be remembered in art history. I'm talking about guys like Leyendecker, Rockwell, Wyeth, and Cornwell. Even after the Golden Age you still had heavy hitters who changes the field like Frazetta, Jeff Jones and Syd Mead.

So what working artists today will be remembered the same way? Who has had the same impact in the field and will have their names written in the history books? Is there anyone who is right in the prime of their career at this very moment that is leaving behind a legacy? I can't really think of many people that fit the bill here, but am curious to see who /ic/ considers to be in the same league as those I mentioned.

Syd Mead counts but he's past his prime and I'm looking for people who are closer to the height of their career right now. Mullins might fit the best. Ashley Wood probably can be argued to work as well.
>>
Sakimi
>>
Jaime Jones made everyone want their digital paintings to look more natural. Most people still can't really figure that shit out.

Maciej Kukoobookulalala made everyone give up and just photobash.
>>
>>2551461
Fuck off
>>
mark crilley
>>
>>2551459

Ilya Kuvshinov
>>
>>2551472
Her faces make my dick explode.
>>
>>2551480
>her
>>
nose bro
>>
Gary Baseman, possibly?
>>
MIKE

MIGNOLA
>>
>>2551480
Ilya's a male name m8.
>>
I'd throw James Jean into the ring
>>
>>2551644
I think that's a voice actor.
>>
Kim Jung Gi
>>
I'm thinking Phil Hale would work, though he's now doing fine art stuff and not illustration.

>>2551464
Hm, he had a huge impact but it was very brief. He seems to be out of the spotlight now. He could count though.

>>2551644
More comics isn't he? But yeah.

>>2553134
That's a good one.

>>2553272
He's not an illustrator. His impact is large, yes, but that's more for his visual memory and the way he draws than the finished images.
>>
Jim Lee
>>
I know James Gurney isn't doing too much now, except making pertty rad instructional videos, but should he be included?

Some of his dinotopia works are masterpieces
>>
>>2553282
>Hm, he had a huge impact but it was very brief. He seems to be out of the spotlight now. He could count though.

really? i figured he just keeps a low profile because a guy like him doesn't really depend on exposure anymore to get the good jobs. i would kill to know his rate though.
>>
>>2553463
That might be it. My personal theory is he is a family man now and focused on that more than his career, which is pretty stable at this point. It is pretty obvious though he doesn't post new things online ever. All the stuff from the last few years has been released by companies who use his stuff, not him. Unfortunately with the exception of his Destiny work, a lot of his newer stuff hasn't been mindblowing.

As for his rates, they are probably high but nothing insane. Now that he's doing work in film more he's probably making a larger amount though. He still does some mtg cards though which only pay in the 1-2k range from what I hear.
>>
Tara McPherson has been in quite a few books on contemporary illustration that I've purchased over the years, if that's something.
>>
>>2553296
He still illustrates for magazines like Scientific American and National Geographic, mostly paleo-art.
>>
Sachin Teng

In a decade maybe?
>>
>>2551459

That feel when no european or non-asian ITT.
>>
>>2551459
Me
>>
>>2551459
personally i'd say Mullins, Ruan Jia, Jaime jones, maybe HGJ.
People like Sakimi, Ilya and Kwon will also go down in the books but not for necessarily being good but for earning big bucks i think
>>
What about people who made instructional books with big impacts?
Gurney & Scott Robertson come to my mind.
>>
>>2551459
>It seems in the past there were people who were huge figures even in their day, and everyone knew their massive impact and that they would be remembered in art history. I
well that's it anon...that was all judged after those decades were over. we will only ever know the giants in hindsight, this thread may be full of false gods for all we know. real life has much less of a narrative than history classes tend to feed you

>>2551644
this is a very good answer actually
>>
File: unearthlg.jpg (92KB, 467x600px) Image search: [Google]
unearthlg.jpg
92KB, 467x600px
>>2551459

I think there's no such thing as 'the greats' anymore. Nowadays there's basically 'the greats' of any imaginable subgenre. For instance, you have the greats of editorial, the greats of childrens books, the greats of entertainment design, the greats of animation, the greats of sci-fi/fantasy books, etc etc.

I know of some wildly successful illustrators that make a shitton of money and you never hear their name on /ic/ (or anywhere else for that matter).
>>
File: 16341559264167411007.jpg (428KB, 1842x1000px) Image search: [Google]
16341559264167411007.jpg
428KB, 1842x1000px
gregory manchess
>>
File: st-georg-and-the-dragon.jpg (610KB, 1260x768px) Image search: [Google]
st-georg-and-the-dragon.jpg
610KB, 1260x768px
petar meseldzija
>>
File: AN5_L1.jpg (237KB, 1393x1400px) Image search: [Google]
AN5_L1.jpg
237KB, 1393x1400px
seconding phil hale
>>
яceн гюзeлeв - he is awesome
>>
Not exactly today's but Dan Struzan and Giger

>>2551644
Yeah, he's also done variant covers for some classic novels. For comic artists I'd go with Bill Sienkiewicz too.
>>
Moebius
>>
>>2561651

He ded
>>
>>2556581
By the gods, that's fucking great....
>>
>>2551480
>faces
>plural

it's the same face every time.
but me too
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.