[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 20 years old too old to starting learning how to draw? Feel

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (107KB, 680x778px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 680x778px
Is 20 years old too old to starting learning how to draw?

Feel like I've missed out on those golden years of middle school/high school where there are literally no responsibilities so you have all the time in the world to practice.

>tfw engineering student in college
Do I even have the fucking time to learn
>>
>>2546143
You are shitposting here, that means you have time to lurk. You may sacrifice shitposting, but you will earn art. Good luck, for your own good, I hope I don'wont see you again.
>>
>>2546143
>engineering student
sorry you just don't have the spark
>>
>>2546143
no, I started at 19 and have gotten much better than I was, although I'm still not very good, progress is progress, and some day I will be good if I keep at it
>>
>>2546143
I've only started really learning at 26, after STEM degree. I thought "mah it's too late..." You have more maturity and are in principle more intelligent, so your leaning should be more efficient. You don't have to worry about not being able to move your arms, you're not 80, so there's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>2546143
>high school
>No responsibilities

I've never felt freer since escaping that shit hole. I have so much free time now I almost feel guilty. Fuck adolescence.
>>
>>2546155
One thing to add: if you're working on your degree + learning painting you're likely to spend 14hours+ at your desk. Be wary that it may wreck your health. I had to cut back and start sports again...
>>
if your ~lifelong dream~ is to work as an artist (probably in vidya, it's always in fucking vidya) the fact that you hadn't already been drawing regularly in middle school and high school means you like the idea of being an artist more than you like actually doing the art part.

if you just want a hobby, and you also want to be technically good at your hobby, no, not at all.
>>
21, middle of physics degree. Don't make excuses. Add up all the time you waste in a week - I mean genuine waste, stuff like jabbering with friends over pointless shit, lurking /mlp/, watching TV, playing video games. If it's more than 6 hours, which I am almost sure it is, you have time to learn and you don't have a genuine excuse. If you're willing to take this as seriously as you should be, you will find time. Not trying to sound aggressive, you need to decide for yourself if you want it or not. >>2546167 puts it well.

>>2546161
This. Get something called a 24-hour chair for your desk. They're a bit costly but designed specifically to look after you when you're sitting for long periods of time.
>>
>>2546143
So long as you have a handful of hours to throw at it each day, nothing is stopping you from rising to excellence within a few years of study. People of all ages have started from nothing and gotten gud, there's nothing physically preventing any older individual from excelling, though a couple of ebin /ic/ memes will tell you otherwise.

Do you have, on average, 3+ free hours each day you can dedicate to gitting gud? Can you actually make yourself follow through with that daily schedule? If both answers are a firm yes, you can make it. If one or the other is no, don't waste your time.
>>
>>2546143

nah brah. First off 20 is not old at all so get that out of your mind. A lot of people that started drawing really young just fucked around and you can easily catch up with concentrated practice, which is how most of them got good, not to say mindless doodling is worthless, but intentional study wins every time.

My sister is a not very bright engineering student and she has a bunch of free time, as did a lot of my friends. You just have to make it a priority. Your other hobbies may fall by the wayside and you have to cut out other fat from your life that isn't learning to draw but studies show even the busiest people have a lot of time unaccounted for, they just don't put it to good use. You can do it, brah but you have to cut the excuses.
>>
>>2546143
Just started to take drawing seriously and im 25. I plan on trying till im at least 35 to see if I can get anywhere if not then ill just learn a trade or some shit *shrug*
>>
>>2546143
Yeah, it's too late for you, once you reach 20+ you begin to rapidly lose Neuroplasticity.
>>
File: 1.jpg (171KB, 1051x893px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
171KB, 1051x893px
>>2546226
>>
>>2546143
The average age of people that entered my design school was 28. It's dropping down toward early 20s because the school is so money hungry and has been accepting baby high school students.

The people that I graduated with always say they REGRET going to the school right after highschool. They didn't have the maturity to handle the workload and grasp the concept of learning how to learn. If they went in after a couple years of just foundational stuff they would have done many times better.

20 is very young to learn how to draw. But you better start now and go about learning in a smart way.
>>
>>2546716
>The people that I graduated with always say they REGRET going to the school right after highschool.

Hell fucking yeah. It's sad. Public schooling from K to 12 doesn't make you want to learn, it makes you want to avoid trouble. Jump through the hoops so you get into college. Everyone knows this, everyone sighed and did the AP classes and SAT prep.

Not many were ready for what came after. I think only a very select few are there for a single driven purpose. Others are still on autopilot, the rest are disillusioned and contemplating dropping out.

Sad.
>>
>>2546716
So how do you learn how to learn?
>>
>>2546737
I don't know what he could have meant but I imagine discipline, focus, information retaining, and learning to be happy with your work.
>>
>>2546737
>>2546740
Good question, and that guy gets it.
In danger of becoming a self help manual:

Know what you want to be when you 'grow up'. (if it changes it's okay)
Ask piercing and observant questions about process.
Actively look for feedback from people worthy of being your mentor.
Having achievable goals that are uncomfortable.
Actively fail and make mistakes, but always get a lesson out of it.
Play around A LOT when searching for solutions and try not to be dismissive of playful ideas early on.
Analogize what you're trying to learn to something that you already known.
Never sit down and draw without a purpose. i.e. I have to tell a story. I have to learn the back muscles. or even "I just want to play around with this ball point pen"
6 is the magic number for references, or points of inspiration. Anymore and you're procrastinating or doing a bad job of purifying your vision.

Learn now the skills whatever industry you want to be in needs, and work your way toward getting those skill sets. (hint: you can't afford to not know how to iterate designs, tell a story, or the work with the simplest 3d program)
>>
If you don't mind a little Orwellian monitoring, get Rescuetime.
It'll give you an accurate account of how you're spending your time on your PC (and your phone if you set that up). If you start noticing you're spending 4 hours a day on shit like youtube and 4chan, you can start spending it on art instead.

People almost always have more free time than they think they do.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.