[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is "gettin' good" considered such a chore?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Why is "gettin' good" considered such a chore?

A challenge, yeah, but it seems to me that too many people stress out about their art's progress to the point they either call it quits or have a breakdown about it.

Why isn't the quest to get better considered more of a fun journey? Why do we stress starting from an early age? Why can't art be a good, fun discipline for everyone without everyone bursting an ulcer for not being a Picasso?

I feel like all these things just add more stress to the lives of people who really don't need any more of it.

Pic not mine.
>>
>>2444267

Ego investment probably

People who draw tend to be a really sensitive and emotional bunch. A lot of self-comparison, a lot of self-esteem complications, all kinds of stuff

I honestly recommend getting punched in the face, really hard, just once. Sign up for boxing/mma class, get in there and get cracked up

After getting my grill knocked off in the ring, the challenge of getting better at drawing pretty pictures seemed a lot less of a big deal in comparison
>>
>>2444267
Because they don't have the spark and so aren't gonna make it
>>
Fuck your weak ideology; I choose to live vigorously.
Inactivity is death!
>>
Not difficult to understand that people are totally impatient as fuck. So many demand instant results, instant gratification, and of course you cannot rush getting gud, so this is why you wind up with so many salty artists. Also a lot of artists fall into the trap of constantly comparing themselves to others to the point of getting mega jelly & bitter.
>>
>>2444273
>implying
I actively practice box for a good while and I still feel like gitting gud, so I expect you to not make it.
>>
>>2444303

You misread it, anon

The point of my post was to not be -daunted- by the challenge of improving (by doing something that poses a real physical threat and not just an ego-based one), not to lose your will to get good.

Get it?
>>
>>2444310
then might as well say "do sports/something that requires physical effort".
Not gonna lie, getting your shit wrecked helps to fix some issues.
>>
>>2444331

always been into sports and physical training (football, track and field, cross country, lifting, basketball), but fighting is its own beast. nothin like it
>>
>>2444267
Wow, good job of whoever did the pic, they improved a lot!
>>
>>2444267
My start point was lower and I'm closer to the third image than the second image after 11 months of drawing from no start point. I guess there's hope. I did work hard but I could be working harder so there's still hope for me. Feels good man, I can try harder over the next twelve months.
>>
>>2444267
>Why is "gettin' good" considered such a chore?
adulthood
>>
It's an attitude way too common in western society today. It's not restricted to art, but visible in any competitive field. It's why movies like whiplash get praised despite that kind of discipline is really unhealthy and will only get you burned out (not saying it's a bad film btw, just that some people like it for all the wrong reasons)
>>
>>2444543
Not quite my tempo
>>
>>2444267
>Why isn't the quest to get better considered more of a fun journey
I'm worried of not being able to get hired when I'm not competitive enough in my field

> Why do we stress starting from an early age
because I'm afraid of what I might become if i dont get good soon

>Why can't art be a good, fun discipline for everyone without everyone bursting an ulcer for not being a Picasso
because I don't want to worry about my future

I think this has more to do with my self-esteem more than anything

I just don't want to be bad at the only thing I'm decent at.
>>
>>2444631
Very human response, kudos to you.

OP yes ideally it should be the journey that is enjoyed. Easier said than done. You have the good days and the bad, just gotta keep fighting the good fight. That "drive" can also keep us hugnry as oppose to complacent, everything in balance of course. The analogy is a bit ironic as Picasso in the end tried to draw more with 'a heart of a child'.
>>
>>2444335
Former highschool wrestler here, can confirm.
>>
>>2444543
Hardcore competition is a progress, to move the field you must first master everything before it and that applies to anything from art to science. That's why wars are so beneficial to humanity, because extreme competition for your own live makes you work like you never worked before.
It will burn you out but if you get through it you may set a new standard. After all there are always thousands of people who want to become the best but only few are strong and dedicated enough to reach it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.