[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The standard of industry artwork seems to be rising each month.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: Golden-Cape.jpg (346KB, 800x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Golden-Cape.jpg
346KB, 800x1072px
The standard of industry artwork seems to be rising each month. It's starting to get really insane now with all the asians entering the western market.
The work from people like Djurdjevic (pic related), Android Jones, Wesley Burt or Jason Chan from 2007 wouldn't even be able to compete nowadays. The only reason they're even getting work today is because they made names for themselves pre-2010.

Opinions?
>>
>>2431405
Don't you like challenges anon?
>>
>>2431405
You're dumb. You'd literally have to be retarded to not find work if you had the skill level of Djurdjevic or Wes Burt. 99% of working professionals are worse than they are and are doing just fine.
>>
>>2431407
I do and I know the high standard is pushing my work subconsciously but I also want to be able to earn money and eat something every once in a while.
>>
>>2431410
You are already too fat anon and you know it
Just take this as an opportunity to make your body burn your fat deposits and get lean
Also stop making excuses
>>
>>2431408
You gotta take off your rose-colored glasses and take a look at their work from 2007. I'm not sure they'd be able to make a living nowadays as independent freelancers with that kind of work.
It surprises me as well because back then I thought they were the shit. Now it seems the standard has risen so much, you need to surpass their 2007 level to be able to compete and make a living.
>>
>>2431417
you might want to look for other career options then, because I can pretty much guarantee you that you will not surpass Wes Burt's skill level of 2007 in this lifetime.
>>
>>2431417
And honestly, what does that say about the future? The standard of representative art has risen all through human history but since the internet and digital painting became a thing it has risen exponentially fast and will continue to do so.
It's an exciting time for consumers but horribly stressful for creators, who, thanks to globalization, have have to compete with everyone in the world to earn money.
>>
>>2431424
Hopefully World War 3 will mix things up a bit
>>
>>2431405
Which Asians we talking about?
>>
>>2431441
Chink yiu chonk
>>
>>2431441

Ching Chong Ding Dong
>>
>>2431441
Probably the thousands of mass trained human copy machines from Shenzhen.
>>
Which "industry" are we talking about, exactly?
>>
>>2431441
ching chong king kong wing wong
>>
>>2431461
fine concept illustration
>>
>>2431464
Freelancers? Concept art studios? In-house concept artists? Which country? Which entertainment medium?
>>
>>2431467
yes
>>
>>2431467
Illustration/book covers/ character work/tcg freelance in USA
>>
>>2431405
You're not just talking about Ruan Jia are you?
>>
>>2431523
No, I was looking at the Spectrum 23 award nominees.
>>
Whatever you say. I chose this career because I don't want to fall into the group of people who'll be out of a job because of automation. Especially when I reach old age.
>>
File: 299be46820feea457a18f88928c42b4c.jpg (206KB, 948x1304px) Image search: [Google]
299be46820feea457a18f88928c42b4c.jpg
206KB, 948x1304px
http://fleskpublications.com/blog/2016/02/29/spectrum-23-awards-nominations/

this all looks par for the course. hardly an unobtainable level of skill.

didn't marko basically only work in pencil until 2009?

>industry standard circa 2001

if anything things have gotten easier because you don't have to use physical media anymore.
>>
>>2431405

agree 100%. however i've found that skill is not as important as people might think.

it just puts you in a particular niche of artist, just like stylization does. if you want to truly dominate your peers you need to check all three of these boxes:

[] very high level of technical skill
[] very unique individual and hard to imitate consistant style
[] conceptually strong (cool ideas, fresh compositions, interesting designs etc)

I think on average asians underperform in the latter two criteria. though they do outperform the western average in the first.
>>
>>2431405
That looks like shit though.
>>
>>2431689
That's the point.
>>
Does anyone have scans of any of the previous spectrum books? They are insanely expensive
>>
>>2431689
"shit", really anon?
It's old analog concept art
>>
>>2431405
yeah you keep telling yourself that, I know your kind.
>>
There absolutely has been rising standards in the last two decades, feng zhu literally said that he couldn't have gotten hired now at the level he started doing work at 20 years ago.

That said your getting a biased perspective looking at artstation and shit all day, of course the best people are going to be on there but there are tons of mediocre artists with jobs, I know a few of them.

networking is actually more important than skill in terms in terms of getting a job .If you have freinds/family in the studio you want to get into thats you can and will get in over more talented peers without an in.
>>
>>2431525
There was a post on Lewiart titled "submit to the best world fantasy book" accepting money for entries / translations for submissions to spectrum. Shittons of chinese artists used this.
But yeah, its getting worse lately, you have to compete with them too which becomes incredibly frustrating.
>>
>>2431949
It's ugly as sin.
>>
>>2431441
Sum Tin Wong
Wi Tu Lo
Ho Lee Fuk
Bang Ding Ow

just to name a few
>>
>>2432076
Mediocre artists get hired because not all companies have the budget to hire the superstars / there's a limited supply of top tier artists so they'll settle. (And sometimes AD's are just fucking blind lol)
>>
>>2431405
It's not just about being able to make nice pictures. Maybe stop looking at artstation all day and check out sites like juxtapoz, supersonicart or just fucking behance and expand your views. There is more to art than, fantasy dragons and photobashed cyberchicks.

But if that's what you want to do, than you have to deal with fact that there is going to be plenty of thirsty gamers competing with you for same position.
>>
>>2432183

Krah Shimi Nent
>>
>>2432183
>tfw can't tell if these names are being made up or not
>>
>>2434876
They're fake alright. (Asian here)
>>
>>2431525
Also depends on what you mean by "standard" for the industry. Spectrum in particular varies in style pretty dramatically. Karla can render the hell out of stuff, but there's just as many successful illustrators that don't render at all.
>>
File: 1362750978180.gif (883KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
1362750978180.gif
883KB, 500x269px
>>2432183
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.