[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one go about learning to draw landscapes? Most of the

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Church_Heart_of_the_Andes.jpg (3MB, 3787x2080px) Image search: [Google]
Church_Heart_of_the_Andes.jpg
3MB, 3787x2080px
How does one go about learning to draw landscapes? Most of the books and tutorials recommended here are about figure drawing and gesture drawing, and I feel like they're not helping me a lot when it comes to drawing landscapes and backgrounds.
>>
>>2409944

do it over and over and over enough times
???
profit
>>
>>2409959
Well, obviously.

But when you're learning to draw people, you'll usually work on fundamentals such as anatomy, construction, and so on. I was wondering if there are similar principles for landscape drawing other than perspective.
>>
>>2409965

I guess that's why I don't consider anatomy a fundamental. It's exactly the same really. Just that now you have to manage edges more carefully, think about materials more, shadows. Big new issues you might have as someone who studied figures primarily: composition, simplification of stuff (like bunch of leaves etc), value key, and like you said perspective.

I just don't think theres any way around failing a million times to learn it. Nothing you'll read anywhere will help.
>>
I'd recommend watching The Joy of Painting because it will teach you how to make depth and detail in landscapes, even if you want to draw and not paint
>>
Landscape drawing resources.

J.D. Harding books, John Ruskin's Lecture Manuscripts on Gutenberg. Both are also a good primer for traditional drawing tools. Add the usual perspective books, drawing with material X and some modern book about drawing light/direct drawing and you got a lot.
>>
so for landscapes is it better to draw one in greyscale to get the values down and then once you get that down, move onto color? or just jump into color?
>>
>>2410556

Try both and see what feels better to you. There is no 'better' method. I never start anything in greyscale unless I want it to stay greyscale.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.