[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's some good software for making digital art with?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: product-main-device.png (256KB, 606x349px) Image search: [Google]
product-main-device.png
256KB, 606x349px
What's some good software for making digital art with?

I finally got my drawing tablet that I've been fucking around with while looking into this kind of thing. I think MediBang Paint looks pretty good for a free program, but I'd like to hear some other opinions and other options too.

I hear SAI is a popular choice, and that GIMP can be used too.
>>
>>2401908
anyone

(the standard = photoshop)
>>
>>2401908
>SAI
it just copy Corel Painter digital watercolors better get the real deal
>>
>>2401908
i keep hearing good things about this one called "photoshop"
>>
>>2401908
Photoshop, Manga Studio, Corel Painter, Sai. Just pick your poison already.
>>
>>2401908
sai is 32 bit only, so you are likely to run out of ram if you work with a lot of layers, like me.
>>
>>2401908
>I hear SAI is a popular choice
for amateurs
>>
Firealpaca
>>
>>2401908
Photoshop, clip studio/manga studio, firealpaca, corel painter, later versions of SAI, artrage, sketchbook pro, krita, the list goes on and they should all offer some sort of trial period. Try them all and see what you like the best.
>>
I went from Photoshop, to SAI, and finally settled on Manga Studio. I don't know what it is but I feel like the pens and stabilizer in Manga Studio produce the best linework I've made. It's definitely lacking on colour work though, which I'd probably say Photoshop is best at.
>>
I only use Manga Studio.

That's the best for me.

Sai looks and feels ANCIENT. Photoshop is not touch friendly.
>>
>>2401908
if you have experience with traditional art, I found corel painter to be the closest to the real dead
>>
>>2402379
deal*
>>
Someone know a good program in android?
>>
Anyone will do.
Everyone shits on SAI saying its for weebs but for what its worth, its a pretty powerful drawing software. You just have to have know what you are doing. Its the most popular choice for amateurs and hobbyists though since its easy to use and understand.
Cons
-not that many good tutorials. Most are made by kids/ mexicans that can't speak english
-limited amount of brushes/tools compared to PS
Photoshop is the industry standard. So there are a shit ton of tutorials for it and most are pretty good since pros use it the most and have figured out all kinds of tricks and brushes for it.
>>
an advice i will give you is to get photoshop, even crack it. The 85% of the tutorials are on it and you will find more support.
>>
Is it me or digital art isn't much linux friendly?
>>
>>2402992
You have krita at least which works like shit on anything else.
>>
>>2401908

there is no alternative to photoshop. it's the most used for very good reasons.
>>
>>2401908
I did start with SAI, went to manga studio and ended up setting up all their features in photoshop.

Photoshop might look extremely repulsive to a beginner, compared to software that has actual features for art, but if you get
1 coolorus (or painters wheel)
2 proper brushes (default ones are insufferable)
3 get lazy nezumy
4 a few more optional plugins
5 learn and get used to all of that
Them PS becomes the sharpest tool around for anything, including linework(thanks to LN)
there also is painter which is a total piece of bugged, slow garbage with clusterfucked interface, but it's better than anything elso for simulating traditional media
>>
>>2403271
What about something like ArtRage?

What's the good photoshop to get? Is it CS6?
I hear photoshop's pressure sensitivity isn't too hot, but I have no idea what that actually means.
Is there a guide for setting up photoshop to the optimal settings for using it to draw with?
>>
>>2403442
ArtRage is good if you want to emulate traditional media.

I would say that people have a problem with photoshop's sensitivity because it's a high resource program, meaning unless you have a good computer, when you start working on larger pieces it may lag.
>>
>>2403455
Well I have a fairly decent computer so I doubt that will be a problem.

Is photoshop as good as ArtRage for emulating traditional media?

If I wanted to do just some clean digital art, or concept art, would photoshop do the job well?

I haven't dove too deep into any specific program, just done a bit of fucking around, mostly drawing squiggles, in ArtRage and MediBang Paint, and MBP seemed a lot easier to use and was more able to accomplish what I wanted, but ArtRage's watercolors are nice. I'd like to get good enough at this whole art thing to be able to color with the watercolor effect because it is visually pleasing, I think the idea of having things outlined in ink and colored with watercolors sounds appealing, though I also like the look of clean colors without outlines, or only thin outlines where needed.
What would be a program for those kind of effects?
Is there a free version of photoshop?
>>
>>2403716
if you're any serious, learn photoshop, and be prepared to invest months ingraining it into your workflow.

if you're a dirty casual, as it seems to be the case, anything will work just about the same
>>
>>2403747
Nah, I'm serious, just completely clueless, been doing a lot of research on it, but struggling with actually learning as I only just now recently decided to start pursuing my goal of becoming better at art, and not entirely willing to spend $30+ on a program without getting to try it out first.
>>
>>2403716
>Is photoshop as good as ArtRage for emulating traditional media?
it can be. you won't get the very same effects, but something similar
>If I wanted to do just some clean digital art, or concept art, would photoshop do the job well?
if by clean you mean vectors, yes, but is not the best tool. as for concept art, 99% pros use it
>What would be a program for those kind of effects?
corel painter is regarded as the best for emulating physical media. it has 3 groups of watercolor tools, each one with a ton of parameters.
>Is there a free version of photoshop?
you could reinstall the 1 month demo as many times as you want, but it isn't legal to use it for commercial purposes. there's also the old CS2 version which you can use freely without pirating, but is still illegal. everybody just pirate it.
>>
>>2403241
But no driver support for wacom tablets under linux.
Also many industry standards software aren't avalible on linux, and have to use wine which doesn't end up much help anyway.
>>
>>2404043
My wacom intuos small worked out of the box on my linux machine. If your tablet connects via USB, then getting it to work with linux is babby tier plug and play, given that both X and the kernel aren't horribly outdated.

What makes you think there's no wacom tablet support on linux?
>>
>>2404070
>What makes you think there's no wacom tablet support on linux?
Other linux users and my experience.
Many features for wacom tablets aren't available under linux.
>>
>>2404043
>>2404078
>>2402992
goddamn i would switch to linux if i could draw in it. believe me, i tried.
one day for sure..
>>
File: org prac.png (514KB, 3200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
org prac.png
514KB, 3200x1600px
>>2404078
Fair enough, but you'd be lying to say there isn't any driver support when there is, even if incomplete. I wouldn't be drawing pic related if there weren't.

What features do you miss?
>>
>>2404082
Sorry, I meant official drivers from wacom.
The open drivers that comes with the kernel, while work it doesn't "feel" the same under windows.
The tilt, pressure sensitivity doesn't quite feel right.
As well as button and gesture settings.
>>
>>2404091
Not to mention breaking xorg.
>>
>>2402554
I've started following some ctrl+paint tutorials whilst using clip studio. So far so good
>>
Krita is actually really good especially for free software, the line smoothing feature is the best out of any other software I've used so far.

My only real problem with it is it lags with big brushes and the transform tool for some retarded reason, other wise it works great.
>>
>>2405294
Krita looks cool.

Both Krita and GIMP are freeware, so how would you compare the two? For me personally, GIMP crashes every time I use it. I have uninstalled/reinstalled, and without fail it always breaks down. So I have developed am averse reaction towards freeware painting/image editing programs. Because of that. But I may give Krita a chance. Considering that I am a poorfag.
>>
>>2406557
I'm not him, but I heard about digital artists who explicitly use gimp, but well, krita is made for artists, by artists. It lags on windows with huge canvas, huge complex brushes and with some assistants, but on linux it has no such problem. I'd recommend you trying it. I never seen better brush engine and I tried almost anything out there.
(this program alone is the reason why I'll probably swiitch on linux someday lol)
>>
>>2406557

I havent jused gimp but Krita comapres well with professional software,

>>2406577

Krita lags for me even with a mere 3000*3000 canvas and I have a beast of a pc. Honestly the lag problem is the only problem I have with this software otherwise its better than every other program I've tried.
>>
Manga Studio IS Clip Studio Paint, right?
>>
>>2406875
When's the last time you installed Krita? I had the same problem but it improved tremendously 4th quarter 2015
>>
>>2407023
Different versions, but it does more or less the same.
>>
>>2403249
Like Apple products.

>/sarcasm
>>
>>2403249

Things aren't always industry standards because they're the best or god forbid only option.

My work still insists we use internet explorer on all our computers.
>>
>>2401908
finally fall into your medibang meme and i can safely say its better than that krita meme
>>
>>2402992
Linux has bullshit drivers for wacom
>>
>>2401908
Sai, krita and corel don't run very well on my toaster when I use large images and many layers. Weirdly only photoshop doesn't has this problem.
>>
what i can't wrap my head around is why do some people still use Photoshop when they already have Sai installed or clip studio... please enlighten me.
>>
>>2407026
Clip Stuido paint EX is the new Manga studio While Clip Studio Paint Pro is the old clip studio iirc.
>>
i like krita :3
>>
>>2404081
>>2404043
You are fucking mongoloids, wacom works out of the fucking box on the bigger distros, on some lighter ones it's usually one package install to get it working. Fuck off with this retardation.
>>
>can't draw in Linux

http://davidrevoy.com/
Here's a professional artist that works exclusively in Linux and he's better than any of you shitters. So fuck off with this "tablets don't work" bullshit.
>>
>>2406875
Try disabling the OpenGL support in display settings, that did the trick for me. Also watch out, if you have a processor with internal graphics your system might be using that instead of your discrete card, you gotta disable it in bios.
>>
>>2402992
Krita works like a charm. I draw only on Linux by now
>>
I've tried Jasc Paint Shop. Manga Studio, GIMP, and a couple of other free programs.

Manga Studio (which is now Clip Studio) is excellent for linework and comic panelling but is mediocre for everything else.

Photoshop is what I'm comfortable with so I stick with it. It's got a lot of versatile tools and I've found brushes that allow me to paint how I want (I recommend checking out Kyle T Webster's stuff if you haven't). I am very layer-happy with my work and really struggle with any programs that restrict layers. I bought a copy of it right before they switched to the subscription model, so I lucked out there. If you have a chance to try out a student version or torrent it, i recommend that, since photoshop is good but very expensive for newbies or freelancers.

GIMP was useful due to its ability to do transparency but it sucks if you want to do crisp lines. I've heard a lot about FireAlpace but I haven't tried it.

I'm also curious about Mischief and its vector painting, but I haven't actually tried it. Has anyone here used it?
>>
>>2417588
3.0 HYPE! The animation support is going to be amazing, I'm already trying it out in the alpha release. Only basic tools but the brushes and other tools in Krita are better than in any animation program available on Linux.
>>
>>2417568
>implying i use a wacom tablet
who's the mongloid?
>>
>>2417578
>mint
>ubuntu
>elementary OS
have you tried gentoo, arch or slackware?
>>2417588
How do you make the two canvas thing in krita?
>>
File: shiggy penn.jpg (33KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy penn.jpg
33KB, 640x640px
>>2418286
>How do you make the two canvas thing in krita?
open krita preferences, there's a window tab listed in general settings, and a "multiple document" option, set that to "subwindows" mode to display multiple documents/views

also
>unironically using gentoo, arch, or slackware
>>
>>2418286
>have you tried gentoo, arch or slackware?
HAHAHAHAHA FAGGOT
>>
>>2418581
reign in your autism you fucking mon/g/

>>2417594
what I like about 3.0 is that krita can finally make use of opengl and my laptop's gpu at the same time without choking, but the best thing about 3.0 is that the devs can get over and done with the fucking animation toolkit. There's so much left they can work on

I didn't contribute to the kickstarter so I have no right to be salty. Regardless, I'm still waiting for
>Preset selection improvements
>Stacked brushes
>Brush tip editor
and some more polish on the UI and consolidation of existing functionality.
>still unable to rebind Add and Subtract in
>reference image docker is still absolutely useless/semi-redundant
>managing brush presets is still a PITA
>CURRENT YEAR
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1674x921px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1674x921px
>>2401908
Personally I've tried Sai, Mangastudio, Photoshop, Artrage and Corel Painter. And I think if you want to paint digitally Corel Painter is the best choice.

Photoshop can do anything but it dosen't really excel at painting, it dosen't even have a usable color wheel until you don't mod it in.
>>
SAI weeb here. The only reason I use SAI is due to the smooth lines. Photoshop/Clip studio lines feels somewhat laggy, the lines fall behind my pen and it just bugs the shit out of me.

Which software has smooth brush settings? Gonna try FireAlpaca right now.
>>
>>2418744
krita has stabilizer and smoothing settings for the brush tool, I don't use it though, only have basic smoothing enabled
>>
>>2418744
clip has a stabilizer like sai, how did it not work out for you?
>>
>>2418753
>>2418783
I feel like I didnt make myself clear. What I like about SAI is that the lines follow my pen in real time, its fast as fuck. In other softwares that I have tried, there's a certain lag input with my pen, and that for some reason wont let me draw because its not comfortable.
>>
>>2402542
Autodesk Sketchbook with the $5 pro tools. Literally the only one worth having.
>>
>>2418795
The brush lags most likely because of your PC.

Sai is very light weight compared to Manga Studio and PS.
>>
>>2418730
>dosen't even have a usable color wheel
the color HUD (alt+shift+right click) is good enough.

corel's color HUD is better, tho
>>
>>2401908
I use Photoshop and Clip Studio.
>>
>>2419501
Yes but you that shit vanishes after pick a color, maybe you can change that somewhere but after you use Corel Painter it becames extremly annoying.
>>
>>2403271
With photoshop, I use so little actual features. Only brushes, erasers, masking, layers, some colour adjustment and that's pretty much it. Feels like there could be a more liteweight program for all that. Krita got so slow every time I changed between brush and erase, not practical for use.
>>
>>2401908
I'm not getting the SAI hate in this thread. Maybe you guys only used it when you were weebs or something and moved on before you got gud but it's a powerful drawing tool. The default brushes I'm not a fan of but the way it paints is like no other software I've used. Just set up or download custom brushes and it's insanely good software.
>>
>>2406577
could you possibly run it on a sandbox?
>>
>>2420747

I love SAI, especially for line art. It's not too shabby for painting either.

In fact, I favored SAI's brush engine until I figured out how to use the mixer brush in photoshop.

If you're looking for something that is lightweight and consistently works across the board - SAI has your name written on it. I'd strongly recommend it to beginners.
>>
What about this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/233680/ Is it a meme software?
>>
File: highspeeddoggo.jpg (20KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
highspeeddoggo.jpg
20KB, 480x480px
>mfw native gamut masking in MyPaint

>>2421505
looks like it has its uses, not something I'd ever buy or even pirate 2bh
>>
what are some cool plugins to install with a fresh Clip Studio Paint install?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.