[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>>anyone know how to color like this? >>do you have

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

>>anyone know how to color like this?
>>do you have a pdf file for this ?
>>
pretty sure there's wips and steps on his facebook
>>
>>2328582
>>What are art studies
>>
Its funny how so many people think coloring is only a matter of getting that magic paint by the numbers formula.
>>
>>2328615
>art studies
what are you supposed to gain from art studies?
Rendering better?
>>
>>WHAT BRUSH ARE YOU USING
>>
>>2328582
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>2328653
>what are you supposed to gain from art studies?
knowledge

you don't know how the muscle on the forearm work?
>study that shit
you don't know how lightning works?
>study that shit
you don't know how a certain artist does something
>study his work as well as the real word counterpart and you will realize on your own what his decisions where and why
>>
>>2328582
literally just desaturate everything. lmao is this even a question?
>>
File: 1432072089494.png (66KB, 299x353px) Image search: [Google]
1432072089494.png
66KB, 299x353px
>>2328582
Worst Elesis
>>
>>2328582
eye dropper
>>
>>2328669
this.
op is a faggot once again.
>>
>>2328653
You draw it as if you were the person drawing it and learn how to do it in the process.
Don't just copy the image, copy the thought process.
>>
>>2328674
Are you retarded or something? This might be the most idiotic "advice" I have ever read on /ic/.
>>
>>2328828
i don't draw but i can pretty much do the same thing just with photoshop lol
>>
>>2328896
good for you.
>>
>>2328915
thanks
>>
>>2328896
>i don't draw

Yeah, no shit.
>>
>>2328669
>>2328703
thanks.
>>
>>2328828
He's not wrong though. Krenz uses a cool or grey ambient light to fill all his shadows. Most of what makes his work interesting in terms of colour is controlling the saturation.
>>
check his process at his fb page,he mainly used colour plates to block out the main form of light and shadows,before adding more depth to them.On the side note,I really like his work flow though,its very crisp and coherent.
>>
>>2329013
If someone asks "how do I color like this?" and your answer is "LEL literally just desaturate everything!" then yes, he is wrong, you contrarian idiot. Regardless if the artist makes use of desaturated colors, "just desaturate everything" is not his thought process when doing it nor will you ever end up with an image remotely like that when following that advice.
>>
>>2329086
I didn't make that comment, but it's obviously a tongue in cheek jab. The core of it though is right--it's about saturation. Take note of how he controls it and you can get similar results. There's no magic pdf that will teach you to colour like Krenz or Ruanjia or any other artist. You look at their work and identify the choices he makes then you can make the same choices. Having a thread about this is stupid because it's something you need to identify yourself to fully understand how and why it is done. So the comment I think was an appropriate response.
>>
File: 1407266792863.png (29KB, 523x515px) Image search: [Google]
1407266792863.png
29KB, 523x515px
>shading with grey
>>
So, one question about painting processes, some guys are really good with mixing the colors directly on the canvas, some others start by finishing all values and then they add the colors with adjustment layers, what are the pros and cons of each process.

I would love to be able to do the former but I only seem to be able to complete pictures with the later.
>>
>>2328582
>we greentext now
>*le glomps xDDDD hugglez!!!*
>rawr means i love you in dinosaur! xDD
>*growls angrily*
>>
>>2329432
The former is superior if colour is your goal. The latter method makes it easier to work on other aspects like values or composition or design since you can not worry about colour until the end. Worth noting though that even if they add colour via layer modes or whatever, they usually will paint on top of it all on a normal layer with manually picked colours to introduce more variation to the colour of the image or else it will typically look pretty shitty.
>>
File: N7SPQ6O.jpg (285KB, 1200x1015px) Image search: [Google]
N7SPQ6O.jpg
285KB, 1200x1015px
>>2328582
>>
>>2329445
>glomps
I just had a flashback.
>>
>>2329812
i dont know moonspeak
>>
>>2329430
Painter does that by default with digital watercolors
PS users use tricks to mimick this

PS = Hacks
>>
File: stepbyfuckingstep.png (2MB, 3388x2048px) Image search: [Google]
stepbyfuckingstep.png
2MB, 3388x2048px
I made a thing, trying to follow >>2329812 this.
How did I do?
>>
File: runes.jpg (33KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
runes.jpg
33KB, 720x480px
>>2329812
>>
>>2331624
use a harder brush to block in your colors, something that has clean edges, keep all the colors flat save some almost airbrush-ish work for the bounce lighting, to keep it feeling extra soft.

then once you've blocked in everything, go back and clean it up more, and then very carefully blend the certain transitions from one shade to another, depending on the surface and the sharpness of the edge of the form, but overall keep things relatively blocky with subtle psuedo-gradients over any larger flat surface to imply soft form
>>
>>2331624
hmm its good but krenz use low saturation, if you wanted to capture his style thats something to change.
>>
>>2331624
good work. shouldn't alter eyebrows.
>>
>>2331624
or just paint it on Painter and save yourself all that hassle
the digitalwatercolors add those effects automagically
>>
>>2332990
example?
>>
>>2329812

yo anyone wanna translate ???
>>
>>2333252

pleaes?
>>
>>2333714
>>2333252

Okay fine I'll do it

> 1. Sketch out the rough picture, determine the character design. The headdress comes from accessories references I collected and modified.

> 2. Put the line art layer on multiply mode(?), onto block in layer. Because of time constraints, it's important to block in the primary objects in the picture first. No time to add in the details otherwise.

> 3. Add layer on additive colour mode (colour burn?), separate out the cast light and shadows. Light and shadow areas needs enough contrast.

> 4. Add a new layer to emphasise the terminators between light and darks. Desaturate and add greys onto the light areas, add saturated areas onto the darks.

> 5. Refine and add more details

> 6. Focus on the lights and adjust the colours, put cool hues onto the lights - with a dash of cyan/blue. Add more oranges hues to the darks (refracted diffused light from subsurface scattering through skin)

> 7. Because the overall pallet is warm/brown, I added some complementary greens. Done.
>>
>>2333762
awsome, thanks!
>>
File: cushartprocess.jpg (327KB, 1200x1015px) Image search: [Google]
cushartprocess.jpg
327KB, 1200x1015px
>>2333762
>>
File: 1451168395195.jpg (162KB, 658x3395px) Image search: [Google]
1451168395195.jpg
162KB, 658x3395px
>>2333762
there isn't any chance you could translate these moon runes is there, I'm not sure if it is in the same language
>>
>>2328582
i remember seeing his tut on cghub, but it wasn't a single image, so i couldn't save it. i don't know if it's still around.
>>
>>2333847
Sure, might as well.

> 1. Define the basic forms and shapes of the object

> 2. Make out the distinct blocks and add shadows

> 3. Paint the occluded areas and refine the forms

> 4. Use the dodge tool to place emphasis on lit up areas, continue to define the forms

> 5. Create the texture of the object and to refine the layered forms

> 6. Go even deeper and push the ambient occlusion/spatial relations of the object

> 7. Put the final details in. Done!
>>
>>2333834
+1

>>2333762
+1

>>2333965
+1

Bless your dicks.
>>
>>2333847
Holy hell. Best step-by-step image I've ever seen.
>>
File: cacgprocess.jpg (214KB, 658x3395px) Image search: [Google]
cacgprocess.jpg
214KB, 658x3395px
>>2333965
thanks man, that's great!
>>
>>2334680
fucken saved
>>
>>2334680
>>2333965
i think he just made it up from looking at the steps.
>>
>>2334695
Better than moonrunes either way. Mostly about the pictures anyways.
>>
Went to his talk the other day. He demoed how he painted, and how to draw anatomy in perspective. He spoke in Mandarin, and the translator basically knows nothing about art, but I understood what he tried to tell us.

His process is basically that:

>Loose sketch and thumbnails for ideas

>Draw the lineart

>Add base colour

>Add another flat colour layer on top which is set to multiply, or other options he likes. The point is it darkens the subject. Usually dark and cool greys, then complimented with lit areas that are warm from sunlight

>Determine the lightsource. Then he erases the multiplied layer so that the part he erases lit up, like being hit with light

>Add dodge layer on top to emphasize the lit area

>Add more definition in the not lit area by building the volume with values

>Add another layer or shit on top to create the mood.

It's a pretty straightforward and basic workflow in my opinion. His success comes from his pencil milage and constant practice, which you need to do on your own.

About the guy, he's pretty short and wears glasses. And he sometimes delivers jokes in a deadpan manner.
>>
>>2335485
Oh, and he brought up his teaching material for a bit about subsurface scattering, texture, and values a bit, but from my observation, it's practically a copy of something that is already in the sticky. http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm
>>
>>2335485
Cool. Where was this? Also how old did he seem? Did he talk about anything other than his process? Quite frankly his process is the least interesting thing for me about him/his work.
>>
File: masks_by_cushart-d9apbyy.jpg (814KB, 1500x1670px) Image search: [Google]
masks_by_cushart-d9apbyy.jpg
814KB, 1500x1670px
>>2335493
The talk was held in Mines Exhibition Hall, Kuala Lumpur about a week ago. I've been following his work since he just posted only 3 paintings on his dA, and it was a pleasure to meet him in person. His age is currently 30 if I'm not mistaken, and he's a lecturer on illustration and perspective + anatomy at his school.

Other than the demo mentioned earlier, he also shows the relationship between local colours and how it is influenced by light in differenct colours. He shows this by painting some coloured lines in canvas, then put up his hand in front of the projector, using it as an example.

Unlike the other artists that gave talk (Shun Imaizumi, Kristina Nguyen from RWBY, Hoi Mun, etc.), he pretty much get into the meat of the demo and does not waste time talking about unrelated stuff and about himself. It's just a short exchange of pleasantries from the organizer, and straight towards the demo. He's pretty enthusiastic in teaching, and looked like he doesn't like to wait for his words to be translated. He just wants to teach.

But outside of it, he seems like a pretty quiet guy that keeps to himself. Only hanging out with his assistants, a qt chinese girl. Pretty much the typical introverted artist.
>>
>>2335508
Awesome thanks for sharing!
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.