[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it more important for people to browse and check your work

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: page views.png (36KB, 804x389px) Image search: [Google]
page views.png
36KB, 804x389px
Is it more important for people to browse and check your work in any way possible rather than focusing on getting good to the point people cared?
>>
Yes, if you want to make money doing this.

Check out this guy's Patreon intake vis-a-vis his skill level: https://www.patreon.com/markydaysaid?ty=h

That's how much more important marketing is than skill level. You don't actually have to be that great of an artist to make a good living doing it. Conversely, it's totally possible to be really good and still struggle if you don't market yourself well.

Also, you will probably never regard yourself as "good enough." That's a trap a lot of people fall into.
>>
>>2306333
If you want to sell yourself and your art as its own product, like what patreon artists do, then marketing is more important. If you want to work for clients, then skill is more important.
>>
What am i saying is, is publicity > intrinsic value?
>>
It motivates me to do stuff when I don't feel like it.

It might be petty but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it feels good when something you do gets more attention than your usual stuff. And when you're posting your stuff regularly and have a few people who check it out every time, it's a good motivator to keep posting regularly. When you're answerable only to yourself it's easier to make excuses. Having a follower-base go up is a little bit of extra feedback and it can feel good, and the main way to make a habit of something is to make it feel good.

That said I only really post my shit on tumblr so I can't say I go out of my way to get publicity.
>>
>>2306355

They feed into each other and it depends on your goal.
If your goal is "be a good artist" publicity doesn't matter at all. If your goal is to make money on your art, you need to market yourself, and there is plenty of bad art out there making money while plenty of good art doesn't.
>>
>>2306355

Art has no intrinsic value. Shitty paint daubs get sold at auctions for millions. Masterful paintings get used as development props for videogames and discarded. Publicity is the only thing that means anything in art.
>>
>>2306333
Holy shit thats a lot of views
>>
>>2306368
Exactly
and in this world where there are millions of us. It takes shittons upon shittons of luck to get known
>>
>>2306405
>marketing takes luck
>not skill

If this is what /ic truly believes, then I can see why none of you ever make any money with your art.
>>
>>2306702
Try making a webcomic with whatever talent you have left and see if you have the heart to shill it in /co/.

Most people who made webcomics are fucking lucky if they can get 5000 views on their site in a year.
>>
Marketing takes brass balls!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McqCf1MsM-A
>>
>>2306736
This is a lie.
>>
>>2306702

You are really dumb. Of course marketing is hit-or-miss and often comes down to luck. Is it skill to pick the right art-school, go 100k into debt, but happen to make friends with the guy who goes on to land a job at a big company and puts your name forward? Is it skill to send your portfolio in to the right AD at the right time to fill the need you didn't know existed?

Marketing comes down to pimping your brand as much as possible in every available venue and hoping that you get lucky and someone important notices. Bajillions of people do this with little or no success. A few people get lucky and become stars, and I'm sure you'd call them skilled marketers, but they're not. They just happened to make the right art at the right time and get seen by the right people. You can look at what they did and conclude that it worked so they must be skilled, but that's just confirmation bias.
>>
>>2306795
>going to art school
>ever
>going 100k into debt because you're a retard

Stopped reading right there. Have fun doing gesture drawings all of your life making the less than burger flippers
:^)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.