[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why exactly are artists paid so poorly? Is it because the field

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Why exactly are artists paid so poorly? Is it because the field is completely over saturated? Or is it because there isn't enough demand for people with drawing skills?
>>
Option C: Most artists undervalue themselves.
>>
Over saturation, under selling artists, and cultural shifts which put the arts on the backburner.
>>
>>2305900
aside from entertainment value that only people with money can afford, the rest of the world tries to survive it's daily life without the aid of something so useless.
>>
>>2305900
>are artists paid so poorly
wut
>>
>>2305900
artists are paid pretty goodd. MY first studio job was 60k a year.
>>
It's not that artists are paid poorly, it's that getting a proper studio job takes a ton of practice and years of shitty commissions, and a lot of people aren't too keen on starving for those years just to get a studio job.
>>
File: 1448381081068.jpg (29KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
1448381081068.jpg
29KB, 500x499px
>>2305900
it's probably because most artwork now-a-days is uninspired and to most people is meaningless even to the people who created it (assuming they aren't self absorbed dicks). What is the difference between a blank white wall or any surface for that matter and some crap somebody put all over it? None really, it's only eccentric bored people who have time for that shit. Why would you pay hundreds for a piece of artwork especially digitally when you could buy actual practical means like food or electricity.
>>
>>2305923
>when you could buy actual practical means like food or electricity.

when you have enough money for food and electricity, boredom became your main concern and art can cure that, but that's not the case for everybody, see what >>2305907 said
>>
I haven't been able to pin an exact reason down myself, but the fact that artists are paid so poorly is why I decided to go into computer science instead of art. I don't regret it. I get to draw what I want instead of doing commissions for money or working in a studio, drawing great things, and then having executives edit the shit out of it all.

I think part of the reason, but not necessarily the entire reason, is that yeah sure, you might find a great artist that decides to stand up for themselves and demand fair payment. You'll just as easily find a great artist who will work for whatever they can get, though.
>>
>>2305914
>was
>>
>>2305900
Pretty much all forms of art are considered pretty disposable nowadays and don't hold a lot of value, monetary or otherwise, to most people. It's become even more apparent with the advent of the internet.
You can thank capitalism and modernism for that.
>>
The huge majority of jobs are shit people don't want to do. Art is something people love doing. Pretty easy to do the math, even if there was as much demand as any other job, there's way more people willing to do it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.