[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey I havent been active on /ic/ in a few years. I was wondering

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

File: received_753883537963614.jpg (183KB, 600x854px) Image search: [Google]
received_753883537963614.jpg
183KB, 600x854px
Hey I havent been active on /ic/ in a few years. I was wondering where all of the traditional academic artists went? Sick of all the ass holes and poor critiques. Not to mention all of the crappy digital art anime pedifiles and erotic crap leaking in from /b/. So if someone could point me in the right direction i would be forever grateful.
>>
>>2303882
I've been here for years and there's never been any academic artists really. Now and then you get someone copying the first plate of Bargue with the eyes or doing a cast study but that's it.
>>
I just remember people mentioning new places to put decent art up. But i wasent good enough at the time so i hung back i guess. I cant post a female portrait without d/ic/ks having something vulgar to say. Maybe they all reached success and had no need for /ic/ anymore. Or maybe somebody knows a forum like this? Maybe its just wishful thinking.
>>
>>2303882
>http://www.wetcanvas.com
if you like to jerk off to traditional paintings, you sick perv.
(if you like something, you want to rape it, according to your logic)
>>
File: 1413217564002.jpg (521KB, 968x1249px) Image search: [Google]
1413217564002.jpg
521KB, 968x1249px
thankyou for the website! I don't rape traditional art. I want to preserve, nurture it and keep it alive in world where people expect things way too fast.
>>
>>2303882
im this person
>>2302669
>>2303574
>>2303818
>>2303852

did you want crit on any piece in particular? i'd be glad to help there aren't a lot of traditional artists that aren't lunatics on this board. there aren't a lot of traditional artists period, but whatever can't change what's trendy.
>>
trendy sucks. but hey what can you do i guess. I want to go to pennsylviania academy of the fine arts. (PAFA) im trying to make enough money to move there. Yeah sure! heres a piece of mine. Its from observation Plein air
>>
File: Stone-Shed-in-Fairfield.jpg (986KB, 1260x940px) Image search: [Google]
Stone-Shed-in-Fairfield.jpg
986KB, 1260x940px
>>2303932
looks a little behind my work from two years ago but i'll assume you're younger too, so it seems like you are on a good path.

Something to remember is how important drawing is to painting, and how important being comfortable with your materials is to painting. drawing is half the battle with painting, material familiarity is the other half.

If you are going to go out to work plein air i'd suggest trying to focus on drawing, either in pencil, pen, ink washes, or charcoal. You want to be able to measure things in your head quickly, and draw with the paint brush as much as possible when you are out in the field. Light changes quickly, colors change quickly, shadows change quickly, and it's not to say that you won't have to learn how to adapt to those changes, but it's immensely helpful if you don't have to spend all your time getting the drawing on the canvas.

I think trying to learn material familiarity with observational painting can be a bit tough. At least for me, I'd spend so much time drawing, and the painting part would almost be like filling in a coloring book, that it was almost pointless. Something I found really helpful when I moved from acrylic to oil was just doing some abstract paintings. Nothing fancy, not world-changing art world halting stuff just trying out different brushes with different bristles and different solvents, what paint looks like watered down vs. applied straight from the tube.
>>
>>2303882
I love this painting so much.
>>
>>2303932
also do some bargue plates. they're fun and very helpful <3
>>
I must admit i get a littl eimpatient with pencil. With such small insignificant lines. I enjoy useing the side of the grafite more so i can get i down quicker or get planes in faster. i enjoy the fuildity of paint. But drawing is the base of painting. here is a drawing of mine
>>
File: november-29-2015-3.jpg (405KB, 1000x783px) Image search: [Google]
november-29-2015-3.jpg
405KB, 1000x783px
>>2303956
inb4 the flame war for posting this drawing of mine cause people on this board are crazy, and take this with a grain of salt cause i'm a beginner too, but try to make sure the hatching you do describes the form you are drawing, and doesn't confuse the viewer.

in general that drawings fine, but there are a few issues with hatching, specifically between the eyebrows where the lines slant to the left upwards. that wouldn't be the right line to use there. probably completely vertical lines would've been more honest to the form between the eyebrows. And the white chalk u hatched in the forehead goes in a million different directions. she'd have to have a crazy forehead for those to make sense.

there's a few other spots where that happens but those are the main ones.

try to observe how vincent van gogh handled stuff like that. all his lines wrapped around the form. he was amazing at stuff like that.
>>
>>2303959
BUT that said, lines like you did between the eyebrows could also suggest texture on top of the skin that goes another way, so if say she had dirt on her forehead that went in a similar direction those lines would be appropriate. so there's a lot to remember, but take it one drawing at a time.
>>
I love your top left apple! and that plate is awesome, You have a nice texture and rythm going on with the pencil and pen. Yeah haha i made my head forhead look like gravel. Im sure it was impatience that took part in that. Yes Van gogh has so much depth and form in his paintings :) Here are some of my timed apples! the first one is ten minuets the rest are 15 except for the last two which are 20. I got the excersise from carol marine
>>
File: merc.jpg (228KB, 776x1119px) Image search: [Google]
merc.jpg
228KB, 776x1119px
>>2303923
oh yeah dude you're so good. master in the making over here senpai. pls give me some crit on this. please teach me art oh great one.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.