[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /ic/ think of him and why is he one of the most important

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: Andy_Warhol.jpg (54KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
Andy_Warhol.jpg
54KB, 600x480px
What does /ic/ think of him and why is he one of the most important artists of the 20th century?
>>
>>2292407
artsy fartsy modern art.
>>
File: pro-tip you cant.jpg (2MB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
pro-tip you cant.jpg
2MB, 2736x1824px
>>2292417
spot a flaw
>>
>>2292437
Autism.
>>
>>2292437
>(2.31 MB, 2736x1824)

here is one
>>
>>2292445
I wanted to make it easier for you to spot one, anon.
>>
>>2292451
i guess it worked?
>>
>>2292407
I don't particularly like his work, but you can't ignore how well he sold himself. I respect him more as a celebrity than an artist. Any time a large art movement is pushed forward it's going to garner a lot of attention and praise. Since this was the last large one when art was important on its own (nowadays design is far more important than art in my opinion). People who had watching/studied the other great movements like romanticism and impressionism were now seeing something akin to that happening and got really excited. His knack for celebrity and this pushed him far into the spotlight, and he influenced the entertainment market enough to become a household name.
>>
>>2292407
I don't know a lot about him but I did recently visit a speech by Duane Michals who was famous for photographing him. I'm under the impression that Duane is the anti-thesis of Andy, and that Andy is an artist only concerned with the most shallow representations of art. Duane's photography is really beautiful and humanistic, and I would highly recommend looking at his work. He also has serious balls for openly insulting Warhol.
Here's a great one called 'Grandpa Goes to Heaven'
>>
I find the guy pretty interesting, that's about the size of it. I'm sure most of the people on this board absolutely hate him.
>>
>>2292622
A FUCKING BANANA

B
A
N
A
N
A
>>
weeeeeeeeeeee
>>
THis thread again OP? The least you could've done was using a different picture.
>>
Just to be clear, Warhol was a seriously bad ass draftsman and had a very successful career as a graphic designer drawing/making advertisements in the 50's and 60's. He kinda realized that he was really underpaid ... And saw all these alcoholic New York School artists making bank with a fraction of the talent he had.

So, he figured that we would get into the Art World and make some money.

The fact that he approached it that way is one of his contributions to "the art world". Meaning, he played the Art world.

But he just happened to be brilliant, too. He started to do really shocking art. My favorite is his electric chair series and car crash. Because he came from graphic design, he knew ALOT about silk screens. Also, he was no stranger to mass reproduction (seeing his work as skyscraper ads in magazines (I'm thinking of this shoe ads, here)) So, the thought... Let me use a silk-screen to create big images and instead of paper - artists are supposed to used canvas ... Right?

In graphic design, when a machine makes a mistake - the images need to be run again. And that happens a lot until you calibrate the machine. But in the Fine Arts, which sees itself as the polar opposite of the graphic arts, mistakes are sometimes the most beautiful thing - so he let a machines' mistake be a motif in his work ... letting that be the "touch" or the "signature" of the work.

That was his second major contribution.

The third was saying to the Art World - um, graphic design can be seen as Fine Art. This is what his soup cans and Brillo boxes are about.
>>
A fourth was the in your face acknowledgement of the importance we place on the famous and rich - where really all that matters in what one perceives a person to be about - his Marilyn Monroe and celebrity heads shots were about this. Again, rather than a single portrait ( like the Mona Lisa) he made "diluting" valuable - but making 100s of derivatives of a portrait.

Finally, when he had is Factory, he opened his studio to anyone who wanted to come in. Seriously - anyone. The idea was the opposite of what I mentioned above. Could an average person be made famous by an above average artist. ( Like Hitchocks's "psycho" > what happens when an A+ director makes a B- movie ?)

So, what Warhol invented in the 60s was what we call today as "Reality TV". Kim Lardasian has her whole career legitimized by Warhol.

You can see that by watching "Chelsea Girls".

So there is ALOT of things that Warhol did. Amazing things and amazing thoughts. The fact is - people think he was out of touch - but that was a facade. Dude was super introverted and used that persona as a barrier. He was all about taking a concept and making it tangible - which is really the essential nature of Fine Art.
>>
Picasso and Warhol are fucking cancer.
>>
>>2292996
>Warhol was a seriously bad ass draftsman
proof?

there is nothing about warhol that impresses me on a technical level. his appeal is entirely conceptual. he creates a "factory" where assistants pump out artwork like it were on an assembly line, to be sent out and stocked on gallery shelves. It's a pretty witty critique of consumerism and the monetization of art.
>>
>>2292996
>This is what his soup cans and Brillo boxes are about.
no man. it was a critique of consumer culture, and the role art played in society at the time, as a consumer good sold like canned goods at a super market, which is why he stacked his brillo boxes like they were on display at a superstore.
>>
>>2293006
Ah - yes, that is also the case too. I was thinking of the process of making art - not the concept at the time I was writing -

Yeah - the consumer aspect is super important - and that is also part of his thoughts on celebrity, too. The multiple of Marylins plays into that.

So many ideas, it is hard to put down in a post. And even so, I had to split up my post into two!
>>
>>2293004
http://www.notcot.com/archives/2008/07/martini-rossi-w.php

This is his hand drawings - very stylized and VERY timely graphic design wise.

Also, this is a bad ass advertisement https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:New_York_Times_Advertisement_-_April_17th,_1955_for_I._Miller_Shoes,_Illustration_Andy_Warhol.jpg.

Again, without a computer :)
>>
>>2293024
sorry anon, but I remain unimpressed
>>
>>2292968
Huh? I don't know what you're talking about anon, mind linking up the thread?
>>
File: candy_darling.jpg (12KB, 236x355px) Image search: [Google]
candy_darling.jpg
12KB, 236x355px
>>2292998
Cool. I'm going to look into Chelsea Girls. I'm from Pittsburgh and knew about him and his 15 minutes of fame quote growing up. As a kid, I'd wondered sometimes about how we might all become famous for 15 minutes. Now having seen the beginning of reality TV AND the internet and it's viral video stars, it's eerie how close he came to predicting these phenomena correctly. Pretty fascinating dude. I find the lives of all his "Superstars" and stories about the factory people really interesting, too.
>>
Like others have already stated, the dominant theme to his better known work is sarcastic commentary on consumer culture.

What makes him clever is his insight into what content is marketable, regardless of how benign or terrible. Obviously things like food brands and celebrity photos. Perhaps less obvious, tragedy like the car crash in tabloids, institutionalized murder with the electric chair, a lust for violence in repeating frames of loaded pistols, even Communism with the Monroe like renderings of Mao. These all stem from the same place in that they sell. He easily recognized stuff like this and ironically adopt the same practice to make his art visible.

His work separate from this seems alright. He was a definitely a good artist, but not the most amazing thing ever. His strength comes from his concept, I would agree.

also velvet underground was dope as fuck

>>2294898
I live a few houses down on his childhood street in Oakland :3
>>
>>2292437

I can.
>>
>>2297826
I couldnt agree more with where Warhol's strenght was. I think it even got people to take more seriously concept and idea in art rather than the aesthetic look than dada and shock value art.
>>
So...has anyone mentioned Basquiat?
>>
Talentless hack
>>
>>2292473
That's some shit photography, son.
>>
>>2292640
no one expects the banana
>>
>>2293056
its ok to have bad taste
>>
>>2292473
That's some high-school art project level nigga
>>
File: GNFOS_poster.jpg (15KB, 250x419px) Image search: [Google]
GNFOS_poster.jpg
15KB, 250x419px
>>2292407
probly cause he's a gay nigger idk
>>
>>2292407
I don't think he's particularly famous other than pulling commercial art into the high art world and self propagating a degree of pop fame that the art world hadn't ever seen outside of the music industry previously.

Everything else seems have been done better ad by other people before him.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.