[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why am I no good at drawing? I've been trying and trying

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: saaaad.png (163KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
saaaad.png
163KB, 1600x1200px
Why am I no good at drawing?

I've been trying and trying for years and I just cant get good...

It makes me so sad and mad at the same time, I'm not good at anything at all and I just really wanna be good at drawing.
>>
>>488639
Practice man, just draw stuff in your freetime and you'll get better, trust me, it's not a meme.
>>
>>488639
Show a drawing
>>
>>488639
I know it's hard OP, i've been there.
I recommend you get yourself 'fun with a pencil' by andrew loomis. my drawing was pretty shit back then, but then i got myself that book and got waaay better. if you can't afford it here's a link to a pdf of you along with some of his other works http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/
and take this guy's advice >>488642
>>
>>488639
Did you go to a teacher?
>>
File: 1448438973768.png (38KB, 381x400px) Image search: [Google]
1448438973768.png
38KB, 381x400px
/ic/ will set you straight as long as you don't take critique personally and realize that it takes a hell of a long time to get good (a year or two to get your footing and a couple after that to develop a recognizable style).

Art is a discipline and to be respected in it you need to put in the hard work. If not, then you don't deserve to be good.
>>
File: 1482455968155.png (327KB, 1062x678px) Image search: [Google]
1482455968155.png
327KB, 1062x678px
>>488639
>Inb4 you've never copied a drawing before.

If you're not improving, it's because you aren't doing enough studies and exercises.

Here's an exercise that will make you feel like you're improving. Find a picture that you like, and draw it as accurately as possible. Get your drawing to look as much like the original as you can. Make comparisons as you draw, frequently checking to see if each part of what you've just drawn is looking like the original.

This will not take 10 seconds, you're going to need to take your time, so try to do a good job. So long as you don't rush, and you stay focused, your drawing will come out better than anything you've ever drawn before.

(I know frustration all too well, it took me 4 years of non-learning before I started to copy drawings and actually make some progress.)
>>
>>488799
Respect is masturbation. And "worthiness precedes reward" is sociopathic. What was that again? "A man with a why can overcome any how," or some such?
Deride the artists /ic/ disparages at the peril of your happiness. Ruan Jia's faces aren't passed around as reaction images. Soulless proficiency(or worse, embittered failure) are just as bad if not worse fates than being "bad" at expression. D/ic/ks see that it takes time and effort to develop technique and leave it at that. >>488639
Fwiw the only thing I can see that matters is "why" Figure out what you want out of it, and do it. (And enjoy the journey.) GL
>>
>>488838
And you should know better, you don't have an ego to defend yet
>>
>>488838
>>488892
>>488639
Just do what you feel compelled to and the rest will follow, yeha?
>>
>>488892
I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me.

>>488893
"Do whatever seems to be working" is a better way of putting it.
>>
>>488927
Nevermind. Drunkposting, but mostly hoping the not gunna make it meme is (at least partly)satire. I can never tell.
>>
>>488838
can confirm

when i use a reference my shit looks like i've improved significantly over stuff from memory

i used to hate drawing from references (too much of a perfectionist and my brain wasn't really wired right at the time to do it; i find it much easier and less frustrating now), now i fucking love that shit, i always learn something from it!

biggest tip to make it not feel like work; draw what you enjoy. if you wanna git gud at shit outside of that, incorporate the stuff you're shit at into a drawing of shit you like drawing.
depression sucks my motivation out of me, so if i'm not into what i'm drawing i just end up not doing it.

remember: it's better to draw a couple stupid self-indulgent doodles every day than nothing at all!!
>>
>>488965
Surprisingly well said
>>
>>488967
well fuck me, anon, i will take that as quite the compliment since usually i feel my attempts to say anything are just verbal diarrhoea!
>>
>>489012
Not sure if sarcastic, but it's the way I usually feel so yw anyway
>>
>>489118
no, absolutely sincere!
>>
How do I get more consistency? There are days when I draw pretty good from memory considering that I'm a total fucking newbie and some days I can barely draw a fucking circle.
>>
>>489217
practice and muscle memory. The more you practice a certain shape, the more you'll be able to consistently draw it without even thinking about it.
>>
>>488799
/ic/ in a nutshell
hate circle jerk
> Bob:your art is shit.
>Tom:post yours
>bob(post art)
>Ned:how can you talk shit about peoples when your art is shit
>Bob:post yours
>Ned:(post art)
>Tom:how can you post shit art and give advice when you are shit

new artist
>A:Any advice guys
>T:sticky.
>A:can i get advice for artist who draw the way i want too like cartoons.
>T:Looks at sticky!!!!!!
>A: but!
>T: get Out!!!

/ic/ when they see art they like but /ic/ said its shit.
>nick: nice
>lisa: shit
>nick: but......i like it
>lisa: no you fuck its shit
>nick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPBPa2BQFRM
>/ic/: shit

i just want to learn animu and draw boobs how do i do it
>>
At this point, the only thing holding me back from learning is my lack of motivation. How do you cope with being shit for the first year until you can draw somewhat okay?
>>
>>488639
Have you tried tracing?
>>
>>489236
Don't know if this is an answer, but it's something I had to learn, so hope it helps. You have to treat yourself like you are someone who loves you and is responsible for your future would. Love yourself enough to study hard and be a better future you. You will regret it if you don't. (and we love you, so do it)
Also, the first year goes by quick, even if it's shit, so use it well.
>>
>>489269
>You have to treat yourself like you are someone who loves you and is responsible for your future would
fug
>>
>>489238
doesn't help, you only come to rely on tracing
>>
>>489295
meh, might be useful as just a quick exercise only to see what someone else's lines look like done by your hand, but nothing more than that.

>>489236
Also, it's simple really, stop comparing yourself to other artists in a judgemental way(learning is critical, but not necessarily judgemental, there's a difference). There is no best, the attitude leads to undue misery, and the ride never ends. Even if you were aiming at the top in a purely narcissistic fashion, why would you hold yourself back by other artists vision, they themselves being uniquely imperfect? Not to mention struggling longer than you with all the same stuff.

You have a voice you want to use, or you wouldn't be doing art. Use it and enjoy it, and nothing else matters. What do you want to say? Just say it. And don't stop til you find the right words.
>>
>>489236
That's a tough one. Well if you want to increase your chances of survival, I'd say get a bunch of art friends, and hang out in art communities like this one.

Other than that, you just gotta draw every so often. Doesn't have to be every day. I was fairly casual starting out, only every once in a while putting in a bunch of effort. As I got better, drawing became more enjoyable, and that's when I started drawing more.

It's important to learn how to deal with your unrealistic expectations. I didn't always draw as much as I do now, and I wasn't this good when I started. Don't be stupid and let yourself feel bad because you're not good at drawing, because you obviously shouldn't be good at drawing as a newbie. Don't compare yourself to others so much, you're in your own race. Don't expect to be able to do something that you haven't learned how to do.

It's also important to learn how to deal with your frustrations. My first reaction to being frustrated is to try to stop being frustrated, and get into the right mindset. I didn't always know to do that. You'll learn to do it too. It's not always easy, but you win a lot more when you keep fighting.

My last recommendation is to change the way you talk about yourself. It might sound like a meme, but words have power. The way you talk about yourself changes the way you feel about yourself, so don't be so negative. For every one negative thing you say about yourself, say something positive. I can tell you from personal experience that I practically stopped drawing because I kept telling myself that I didn't really enjoy it. Then one time I drew something nice, and it was pretty great. So, I wrote on a blue slip of paper on my desk with the words "enjoyed drawing". The next time I told myself that I didn't enjoy drawing, I looked at that blue slip of paper, and just thought that it wasn't true.

buh
>>
Damn, I'm proud of this board atm
>>489236

tl;dr articulating your dreams and "why" is enhancing your capacity to do it

>>489371

To add to what this anon said so well about the words having power bit, articulating thoughts is how we solve problems, and therefore how we fit ourselves into the world -who we are. If you argue against yourself, e.g. put yourself down, or tell yourself you're bad, or not having fun, all you're doing is strengthening those neurons and building more. Extending your capacity for misery, and perpetuating it's likelihood. But if you speak to your strengths, tell yourself what you want, how you want to do it, focus on the fun and the good, (as well as the negative that will happen if you don't chase your dreams) you literally grow(and grow into) your strengths.

The biggest part of it is articulating it, why you want it, even if it's just for simple pleasure. This part is important! if you don't believe it, or you know your reasons to be flawed, your Hippocampus will not let you rest. It's responsible for conflict resolution vs reward and long term memory storage. Karma might seem like a purely human construction/superstition, but as far as the hippocampus is concerned, it's real. When something is left partially or poorly resolved, the Hippocampus will constantly send reminders to the rest of your brain that there's a problem. Just like it would've done millenia ago when you had just escaped a predator -you'd be pretty concerned with "How the fuck am I not going to let that happen again" -until you found a resolution that you had confidence in. It works the same way with social/ personal problems, life decisions, etc.

take it fwiw
>>
Not gonna make it
o
t

g
o
n
n
a

m
a
k
e

i
t
>>
>>489378
What's the matter, not enough beginners to scrub from the front page of /ic/, and no talent left past a year's worth of work to create drama around? Gee I wonder why idiot, but keep shitting where you eat.
>>
So if I want to get better at proportions, should I draw using pictures of 3D girls, or is 2D girls fine?
>>
>>490853
2d is probs fines. Unless you want to take your time painting/filling out forms, 2d is still imitating something (hopefully) with more understanding than you have, so just draw it! As long as you keep your mind open to when you are actually challenging yourself/what looks good, you literally cannot go wrong.
Keep it fun~
>>
>>490853
What do you mean?
>>
>>490853
Both.
Study from life to get all of the information, raw and unedited, from the figure. Study other artists works to get ideas of how to interpret and apply that info, and for inspiration and rechnique.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.