[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw there are no great non-European philosophers, or even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: nicodemus-mattisson-niet-utdrag2.jpg (314KB, 1083x1600px) Image search: [Google]
nicodemus-mattisson-niet-utdrag2.jpg
314KB, 1083x1600px
>tfw there are no great non-European philosophers, or even half-decent ones

Why is this? What the hell is wrong with the rest of the world?
>>
>>983549
>Westerners are best at Western philosophy
Gee I wonder why.
But even so there are plenty of notable non-European philosophers, like the Kyoto School's Nishitani Keiji, Nishida Kitaro and Tanabe Hajime. You just don't hear about them.
>>
File: LaoTzu-Taoist-562x1024.jpg (215KB, 562x1024px) Image search: [Google]
LaoTzu-Taoist-562x1024.jpg
215KB, 562x1024px
>>983549

Completely untrue, unless you restrict philosophy down to the analytic & continental. There's many other forms of philosophy.
>>
>>983549

because philosophy, as in a specific systemaic, disciplined and logic bound approach to 'thinking things', in of themselves, and in of itself, beyond religious context, is a tipicaly european thing

theres examples of it in other cultures but they are usualy one off things

taoism or texts developing buddhist thought or vedic texts etc... and teachers, arent realy philosophy in the strict sense, you could say they 'reflect a philosophy' simply in the sense of a particular paradigm of thought
>>
>>983575
>>983578
They're not great though compared to the west, and they usually just ape western philosophers poorly, or they're based on an unphilosophical, more religious line of thought.
>>
>>983590
[citation needed]
What is your academic background, if I may ask?
>>
Confucius, Lao Tze, Buddha, Mencius, Adi Shankara, and Brahmagupta say hello
>>
>>983629

yes but see those are thinkers, teachers, mystics etc... thats not actualy philosophy in the western sense

even if they are systems of thought

its not a question of quality or value judgment but of kind
>>
>>983629
Zhu Xi, Wang Yangming, Kaibara Ekken, Nagarjuna, Kanada, Chanakya, (Nyaya's) Gautama...
>>
>>983593
>academic citations for philosophy
lol

>>983629
>>983692
Not philosophy as far as traditional (i.e. original, true) philosophy is considered. They are as much philosophers as Jesus Chris, Aquinas, Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc.
>>
>>983702
>traditional (i.e. original, true) philosophy
what?
>>
>>983710
Western philosophy, dude. The tradition that starts with the Greeks.
>>
>>983710
He means it doesn't count if it doesn't support his worldview.
>>
>>983713
Who knew that products of a certain culture uses culturally specific concepts in order to understand them

>how many angels can fit on the head of a pin
>philosophy
Pick one
>>
>>983702
"Suppose that we take a conventional entity, such as a table. We analyze it to demonstrate its emptiness, finding that there is no table apart from its parts […]. So we conclude that it is empty. But now let us analyze that emptiness […]. What do we find? Nothing at all but the table’s lack of inherent existence. To see the table as empty is to see the table as conventional, as dependent."

>not philosophy
>>
>>983722
There's nothing that points towards that question being used in any broader aspect during the medieval times.
>>
>>983702
>academic citations for philosophy
>lol

Yeah, like this:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kyoto-school/#Bib
>>
>>983724
More like a fucking joke. It's just a poorly reworded version of Western philosophy that came before it that doesn't naturally / properly expand on the western tradition. And at the end of the day, it's just pleb mental gymnastics which the more mediocre western philosophers are categorized in.
>>
>>983783
Oh, you were just trolling.
Carry on then.
>>
>>983862
More like you have a bad understanding of the philosophical tradition of the west.
>>
>>983783
Not being able to understand the more abstract parts of philosophy and than declaring yourself above it after reading 3 lines of a text is pretty much the defination of being a pleb.

I bet you also think metaphysics is usually isn't required to understand ethics.
>>
>>983881
So you think because I am dismissing it, that I don't understand it? That isn't hard to understand. It's pretty elementary as far as western philosophy is concerned. So elementary that this is why I am dismissing it, but also because pure metaphysical talk is not all that philosophy is about.
>>
File: King-Henry-VIII-3.jpg (305KB, 1005x1350px) Image search: [Google]
King-Henry-VIII-3.jpg
305KB, 1005x1350px
>>983713
fucking wikifags

on the day of the rope you will fucking HANG alongside your allies the stoners and the fedoras
>>
>>983655
>Why aren't there any great people from outside the European culture and tradition who have commented and built upon this very specific branch of thought and history of thought steeped in European culture and tradition?
Gee I dunno. Got any ideas Sherlock?
>>
>>983899
Put those goalposts back you thief.
>>
>>983909
>alongside your allies the stoners and the fedoras
But I thought it was mostly hippies and stoners that were into this Eastern bullshit? No one other than them even really talks about it.
>>
> Shitting on Jaegwon Kim
He's not only contemporary, but an analytic philosopher, making him greater than anyone from France and Germany by default.
>>
File: gif_mao.gif (194KB, 320x384px) Image search: [Google]
gif_mao.gif
194KB, 320x384px
OP ur dum
>>
>>984625
Analytics are the quacks of philosophy.
>>
>>983549
We had fragments of aztec philosophers writings but most of it was lost sadly.
>>
ITT: people unaware that "philosopher" as a term originates in the Mediterranean and then traveled to Europe, and anyone not part of this intellectual tradition is not a philosopher.

In this sense, that means there really hasn't been any non-European or non-Mediterranean philosopher in history.
>>
File: Zhuangzi.gif (122KB, 339x438px) Image search: [Google]
Zhuangzi.gif
122KB, 339x438px
Ctrl + F

No Chuang Tzu. Shocking /his/ torians.
>>
>>987771
This makes about as much sense as saying there are no 学者 outside of East Asia because anyone who isn't part of the Confucian intellectual tradition is not a scholar.
Of course East Asians liberally use the label for Western scholars just as we use our label for Eastern philosophers.
>>
>>987771
If we go by that definition OP's qualms are retarded then. It'd be like complaining there's no good multiplication in addition, which would be categorically impossible.
>>
>>983549
Philosophy is european at heart. European Civilization is the last to emerge.
>>
>>983713
>"Non-Western Philosophy is not philosophy insofar as it is traditional (i.e. Western) Philosophy"

>Non-Western Philosophy is not Western Philosophy

So...is this it? Is this the great truth you were goading us towards, OP?
You should probably drop out.
>>
I'll take Confucius for 200 Alex.
He's basically China's Aristotle.
>>
>>983549

The Medieval Islamic tradition was quite rich, and often fused original Islamic ideas with Greek ones to come to genuinely new conceptions about things.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/al-ghazali/#TwoDifConMod

Check out part 7. Really interesting and important stuff. Ghazali was the proto-Hume in actual philosophical content here. Even though the two stand totally opposed in regards to the mainstream faiths of their respective times.
>>
>>988032
dude butterflies lmao (but Zhuangzi is a pretty good read just don't imagine yourself understanding him on the first time around)
>>
Plotinus was born in Africa, so was Augustine.
Epictetus, Cleanthes and Chrysippus were born in Asia.

Those 5 were great philosophers.

>>983702
>Aquinas
Aquinas is one of the greatest philosophers of all time.
>>
>>988048
>>988065
But that's bullshit because the western philosophy tradition could be picked up by anyone, if they bothered reading the material, successfully understood it, and then became a commentator / successor of it. The problem is that, it appears no one non-Mediterranean or non-European ever has.
>>
People saying philosophy is a western thing is like saying calculus or scientific medicine are western culture. Some things are universal and one culture happens to develop them first.

That said Buddhism legit has some compelling ideas. I don't know who the philosophers of it are tho
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.