[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

science still knows so little and cannot answer the "why"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 16

File: received_975136835917691.jpg (56KB, 841x554px) Image search: [Google]
received_975136835917691.jpg
56KB, 841x554px
science still knows so little and cannot answer the "why" to things, so is being super objective just as much a belief when we don't know the full scale of the universe?
>>
>>982693
If it cant be answered by science, then there is no answer.
>>
You'd have to argue the point that anything is objective at first.
>>
>>982697
People really think this poorly.
>>
>>982693
>science still knows so little
Arbitrary qualifier, scientific disciplines know enough to fill libraries upon libraries of text

>and cannot answer the "why" to things
Unless you're stuck in the problem of induction, yes it can

>being super objective just as much a belief when we don't know the full scale of the universe?
Being super objective is good when you're trying to carry scientific methodology without having your information distorted by your own biases.
>>
>>982750
Science can't even explain why we have gravity. We know what it is, but we have no idea why. I'm sorry, but until we can answer the basic questions of the universe, I believe there is more to existence than just being a bunch of chemical reactions and a sack of meat. We are conscious beings with free will that can create beautiful things man. Can science explain art or why I find it beautiful? I obviously respect science and believe it is helpful, but it is the whole scientism philosophy that is dehumanizing for me.
>>
>>982693

You obviously don't understand science, skepticism, or proof of objective existence.

In science, you never and can never prove something true, only support its probability with evidence. For example:
>Sigmund Freud has a theory of psychology, and he brought forth evidence for it. However, everytime someone refuted some of the evidence he would just fabricate new evidence to "prove" it. Pseudoscience.
Science disproves things instead as almost a process of elimination. Theories are expected to also predict things to self validate to fully qualify as a scientific theory. Nothing can ever be proven, only supported while being able to withstand people attempting to refute. For example:
>Freud had no predictive, no experimental (ability to be refuted), and no scientific basis. Einstein's General Theory of Relativity was different however. He predicted x amount of gravitational lensing during an eclipse, and Newtonian laws said y amount would happen. After observed, we saw that x amount of gravitational lensing happened, both giving the theory predictive value and disproving opposing theories. Science.
Still today Einstein's theory is being supported and opposing are being disproven, but you can never prove it.
Simarily, even by observation, you can never prove reality is real, only support that theory based on evidence.
Science and even your belief in reality were never objective, nothing is objective. Both are beliefs HIGHLY SUPPORTED. Not proven. The only way people actually assert objective reality is God, not my cup of tea but it's cool if that's your basis for objective reality, or you're an Objectivist Randfag and that's a leap of faith to believe in all on its own.
>>
>>982779
>it can't explain gravity hurr durr
Do you even understand gravity? Yes, science has failed because it doesn't understand the bending of fourth dimensional space and how it relates to quantum mechanics. What idiots, right?
>>
File: wavepepe.jpg (232KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wavepepe.jpg
232KB, 1000x1000px
>>982779
>gravity
>basic question
Don't ever go to /sci/ with that lack of knowledge.
>>
>>982779
>Science can't even explain why we have gravity. We know what it is, but we have no idea why.
Science can't yet answer one of the most difficult questions of the universe, how a specific property arises and therefore it has no value as a methodology?
Ayy what a meme, I really don't like when people pull the "well stop using technology" card, but if you really want to be skeptical of all of science because it hasn't discovered every physical query then you might as well not believe in the molecular and electrical properties that allow your computer to run, those are physical properties too.

>I believe there is more to existence than just being a bunch of chemical reactions and a sack of meat
Science doesn't seek to answer "what is to existence" because it is a loaded enough question you have to define intelligence and purpose and establish what would constitute there "being" something to existence. You're ascribing philosophical features to science that are simply out of its scope.

>Can science explain art or why I find it beautiful?
There are testable theories on why we find some things beautiful in the more empirical strands of psychology. But again you're directing philosophical queries to a methodology for finding material evidence.

>but it is the whole scientism philosophy that is dehumanizing for me.
Science =/= """"""scientism""""", science is a methodology for acquiring knowledge by structured and repeatable tests and isn't "humanizing" or "dehumanizing." I know plenty of doctors (of the MD and PhD sort) who are Christian but don't go off trying to deny science's value.
>>
>>982793
Yeah, it doesn't, because are tiny human brains cannot comprehend it. Something so simple or complex as the force that pushes everything on earth down, we cannot comprehend. >>982793
>>982793
>>
the "science can't even explain X" argument is equivalent to a fat guy walking into a gym and yelling "you guys couldn't even lift a house"
>>
>>982733
Prove me wrong
>>
File: uhh.gif (3MB, 222x379px) Image search: [Google]
uhh.gif
3MB, 222x379px
>>982847
>forgets we know things as complicated as Quantum Electromagnetic Dynamic theory and Quantum Field Theory
>gravity simple
>>
File: 1451051260894.gif (2MB, 400x354px) Image search: [Google]
1451051260894.gif
2MB, 400x354px
Can someone post any science related gifs?
>>
>>982693
Complaining that science "can't answer everything" is like complaining that your car can't give a a blowjob.
>>
>>982929
You've already proven yourself to be an idiot.

Why do we sleep?
Why is ice slippery?
How many planets are in our solar system?
How does a bicycle work?
How can you win at Solitaire?
How many species of animals are there?
What's the length of the US coastline?
How does gravity work?

And just for you, "How does Google work?"
>>
>>983721
I've, uh, actually seen a picture that disproves your notion of impossible....
>>
>>982779
>why we have gravity
You imply there is a why. As far as we are aware, beyond very vague and unexplained creation myths, there is no intentional design or thought-based structure to the universe in any capacity.

Can science explain art or why I find it beautiful?
Yes. It's a complex answer, and there's no one "why we find art moving" study, but I'd suggest starting with some neuroscience articles (most focusing on autism and emotional trauma) to learn the fundamentals of how we assign emotion to animals, objects and ideas.
>>
>>983748
So, no clear understanding of what gravity is, how it works, or what color it is. Got it.

>muh science will make me immortal
>>
>>983752
Gravity is a pale shade of green and is the living shadow of a gargantuan Chilean man in a parallel universe.
>>
>>983764
I knew it!
>>
>>983725
But... those are all questions that can be answered by science? Did you misread my post or something?
>>
>>983752
Well, there's people who think we may one day stop again at least by using science.
Whatever immorality got to do with this.
>>
>>983766
They can't, really.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19442_8-simple-questions-you-wont-believe-science-cant-answer_p2.html
>>
>>983768

>stop aging
>reverse death
>uploaded consciousness to computers

>muh science, making us like God.
>>
>>982903
>not being able to lift a house
Is that a gym for MANLETS?
>>
>>983780
What does God even have to do with this?
And wanting to be like God would be being able to creat matter or energy out of nothing, which I don't think any Scientists claim we can or will ever be able to.
>>
>>983796
Yes, no scientist on earth is looking for sustainable energy sources.

kek
>>
>>983778
what a meme tier argument.
>>
>>983802
This trolling is even worse than the carbon dating meme.
>>
>>983812
/his/ talking about science is worse than rooming with 4 sjw tumblerinas.
>>
>>983805
I'm sure you'll solve all 8 and give it right back to them, Anon. I have faith in you.

>muh science will make muh waifu love me
>>
>>983812

Exactly. Carbon dating is a meme. Anything that calibrates itself with tree rings is inherently a meme.
>>
>>983827
I'm so triggered right now.
>>
>>983778
>cracked.com
says it all
>>
>>983825
This article is literally for barely literate normies to share on facebook.

All 8 of those simple questions aren't "unsolved" by science but there can be debate about the specifics.

>why do we sleep?
Well, no one fully understand the brain but one day we will.
>how many planets? lol you can't see a billion miles bro?
>how many species are there?
Gee i dunno you go out in the fucking jungle and find them.
>>
>>983778
>Science hasn't found all the answers to natural phenomena yet (look at how they don't know how you win at solitaire, along with some other trivial features)
>Therefore it doesn't work!
I'm wondering, does /sci/ have some sort of "Back to /his/!" meme?
>>
>>983865
>But Evolution means you can't lose boody parts!!
>....
>>>/his/
>>
>>982697
*yet
>>
>>983863

>the one day we will meme

So you're hoping we will? Like, you have faith that we will?
>>
>>983863
>>983853
>>983865

So, again, no forthcoming answers.

Science. I am disappoint.
>>
>>983954
kek #rekt #scienceiswrong
>>
>>983954
It's not such an unrealistic belief.
For just a few hundred ears ago we didn't even know that the earth is rotating around the sun instead of vice versa so there's no reason to believe we can't uncover the secret of gravity some day.
>>
>>983960

Scientism is the plague of our generation.
>>
>>983966

It's a forward looking faith based belief founded on nothing. Science has always been wrong, there has always been uncertainty associated with all science, and science will continue to be limited to basically what animals can perceive.
>>
>>983971
It almost has to be on purpose.
>>
>>983973
>implying human beings don't operate on the lowest levels of consciousness
>>
>>983971
Christfags are the plague of this lolicon support group forum.
>>
>>983957
>I don't like your answers, you're wrong

Ok
>>
>>983982
We're light in the darkness, and you love the dark.
>>
>>983988
There were no answers. Did you even read the article?
>>
>>983973
Well, it's still the best thing we got.
>>
>>983982
>implying 4chan hasn't already become a plague on itself
>implying you're not from reddit
>>
>>983993
Is it?

You sure?

Can you prove that scientifically?
>>
>>983989
No, I prefer the moonlight. You're the flashlight that burns people's eyes a child gets his hands on that then proceeds to annoy people with while occasionally shining a guiding light and blinding people on other occasions.
>>
>>983954
The brain is a physical machine with nothing magical about it. It's not above understanding
>>983973
Science is based on the laws of the universe, not what we perceive but the forces and phenomena beyond ourselves. But if you choose to keep believing that you can only know yourself and that your some kind of special snowflake that's fine.
>>983971
>he says, using his computer
Yeah the times when we thought disease was caused by curses were so much better right?
>>
>>984001
Can Germ Theory and space flight be submitted as evidence to support a "yes" answer?
>>
>>984002
Moonlight is light from the Son.
>>
>>984003
Yes, everything God is and does is beyond us.

Saying He doesn't exist is beyond dumb.
>>
>>984009
No, of course not. They're tangential at best.
>>
File: Meme Jail.jpg (64KB, 543x960px) Image search: [Google]
Meme Jail.jpg
64KB, 543x960px
>>983998
fresh from r/4chan ;^)
>>
>>984012
Yeah. And? I prefer the white glow to the orange radiating marble form.
>>
>>984015
what are they at worst
>>
>>984023
A distraction from forming a relationship with the living God.

Everything you see is temporary. It's all gone. It's all slated for destruction.
>>
>>984019

Is it too much to ask you to thank Jesus for giving you something you like?
>>
>>984029
>>984014
Can't tell if trolling.
But I'm glad people like you have no influence to dissuade people from science anymore.
>>
>>983991
What I said, Cracked.com genius, is that you're expecting science to already know everything. Shit, there's plenty known unknowns and unknown unknowns in science, and that's why it still exists. If your criteria is "we don't know why solitaire" then please point me to a more comprehensive system for explaining natural phenomena.
>>
>>984040
Nobody is dissuading anyone from being a scientist.

It's Scientism that's false, not science. The giants of science are christians.
>>
>>984041
Revealed knowledge from God.
>>
>>984036
That was the Demiurge who has my eternal thanks.
>>
>>984043
>The giants of science are what Evangelists would call Heretics and destination for hell.
T.Isaac Newton was an Arian Christian
>>
>>984050
When you're in the fire with the person who invented such an absurd concept, oh, wait, it's pitch black and you're all on fire, so you probably won't get your revenge on him.
>>
>>984052
Bullshit.

http://www.sfu.ca/~poitras/Arian_newton.pdf
>>
>>984061
Revenge? So violence minded my christcucked companion. Very unchristlike of you.
>>
>>984061
The Demiurge was actually invented before the birth of Christ, when absolutely everyone apart from the Jews went to hell.
>>
>>984047
How does revealed knowledge of God help you explain physical,chemical, or biological phenomena? Last time I checked no Abrahamic text takes stances in those outside of iron age myths about the Earth
>>
>>984050
>thanking the demiurge
Fucking retard, that wasn't his doing.
>>
File: Demiurge.png (584KB, 1400x2700px) Image search: [Google]
Demiurge.png
584KB, 1400x2700px
>>984050
>Thanking the Demiurge
It's almost like if you want to be trapped in this material world.
>>
>>984077
You can't deceive me o' christcucked servitor of half truths
>>
>>983725
>How many planets are in our solar system?
Semantics, not science.
>How does a bicycle work?
Spinning the wheels more quickly generates more angular momentum, which means the axis of rotation of the tires change less easily.
>How many species of animals are there?
Semantics
>>
>>984094
>thanking the demiurge for ANYTHING
it is you who are cucked. Have fun getting your spark of creation smothered by the material world.
>>
>>984107
I've got my spark of creation right here and it's smother by your mom.
>>
>>984067
I would assume you would want to take revenge on the fool you believed who got you into hell, yes.
>>
>>984071
>invented

Indeed.
>>
>>984120
>this nigger is looking for a fight
>>
>>984076
It helps you prioritize, and gives you a stable platform upon which to conduct experiments. The giants of science wanted to see how God did things, not find things to try to prove there is no God.
>>
>>984136
So well, wondering if you will find anyone there is pretty pointless since absolutely everyone who didn't happen to be born a Jew was sent to hell without there being any way for them to do anything about it..
Really nice played God.
>>
>>984135
>hell
>can finally bro it up with lucifer, see what hitler thinks in hindsight, and laugh at mother theresa
I'll be fine.
>>
>>984100
Love how you cannot solve semantic problems.

For ages, scientists assumed that the gyroscopic effect (the force that keeps a spinning top from falling over) was the key for a bike's balance. But nope! In the '70s, a scientist disproved that theory.

So then, scientists thought that the principal factor for a bike's stability was something called the caster effect, or trail (something to do with the front wheel's angle away from the frame). But just this year, top bikeologists from Cornell and other universities formed an angry scientific mob, then torched and pitchforked that theory as well. They did this by building a goofy-looking bike that has no gyroscopic effect and no trail, but manages to stay upright nonetheless.

Love how you didn't bother to read the article.
>>
>>984142
>not find things to try to prove there is no God.
Modern Scientist don't do that though. Then a secular and a Christian scientist wouldn't be able to work together.
>>
>>984147
>sent to hell
>tfw retarded american fire and brimstone preachers destroyed the gospels
>>
>>984147
Everyone deserved to go to hell. If God chose a people to save, what is that to you?
>>
>>984150
On fire, in the dark, alone.

Not fine.
>>
>>984142
>find things to try to prove there is no God
Science isn't even used for that unless you're a pop-science positivist.
>>
>>984153
Most scientists who are christians keep it to themselves, as their industry blackballs christians.
>>
>>984154
That is the gospel. Bad news: you're going to hell. Good news: Jesus paid your debt, and you can believe in Him and be saved.

You aren't very good at playing Good news, bad news.
>>
>>984155
>I really fucking love you guys
>Oh, man, I really love you as much as a father loves his Child!
>So in a few thousand years I will totally send my son to die for you, so you can all feel my love
>Until then you will all kinda have to go to hell though,
>Just a a good father or heard would do,
>>
>>984162
Scientism is attempting to prove that God is not necessary for existence. Stephen Hawking in his twisted little soul said that the universe could and would create itself due to the law of gravity.

Insane.
>>
>>984165
>Most scientists who are christians keep it to themselves, as their industry blackballs christians.
Any proof for that?
>>
>>984171
Fire is figurative biblical language used to describe anguish and death. You've never even read the bible, have you?
>>
>>984160
>eternal party that's described AS fire
>in the dark because I can finally shut reality out and experience true peace at will like I've always wanted
>alone until I feel like leaving my hell house and seeing what the hell wallenstein is up to or laughing at mother theresa some more
a-ok
>>
>>984172
I really love you guys.
Hey, look at that, you betrayed me.
Hey, I really love you guys.
Hey, look at that, you betrayed me again.

That's the Old Testament Cliff Notes.
>>
>>984177
Yes, of course. Go find it. Dig it up. Do some research. Meet some people. Read some papers. Show some initiative for once in your pathetic NEET life.
>>
>>984182
Fire is used in the bible to convey the idea of fire. A lake of fire is used in the bible to convey the idea of a lake of fire.
>>
>>984187
Practice by locking yourself into a dark closet and lighting yourself on fire. Then, while fully engulfed in flames, imagine that the fire is never going to go out, and that you are never going to die. Just you, in the dark, alone, and on fire.
>>
>>984192
What does it even matter if absolutely everyone went to hell to burn in an eternity?
Getting to live 30 years longer isn't really such a good thing if there is absolutelly no way for you to alter your fate beyond not sinning to much so God Won't smite you in this life (But sure as hell will in next life)

>>984196
>The burden of proof lies on me, not on others.
>>
>>984201
You're taking the bible way too literally m8. IF you read it more closely it's an everlasting party where you can laugh at mother theresa, mingle with the most interesting people in history, and chill out in your hell room (like a reality bending 5 star hotel room)
>>
>>984208
Not sinning isn't even the point. Everybody acknowledges that nobody is perfect.
>>
>>984152
>Love how you cannot solve semantic problems.
That's because they're not problems. They're clerical work.
>>
>>984225
Yes, you only get there through Jesus.
Which is a problem if there isn't any Jesus around to be the only way or won't be in some hundreds of years.
>>
>>984208
Spoonfeeding adults is obnoxious.

It would be holy, just, and righteous for everyone to go to hell forever. I have no idea what you mean by "what does it even matter".

It will matter to you very much. More than anything else. More than anything else ever could.
>>
>>984209
While I agree that you may bump into Mother Theresa in hell, it ain't no party. It's treading lava in a live volcano at night, only infinitely worse.
>>
>>984234
Yes, just give up. A simple cracked article showing 8 simple things science cannot answer has you completely adrift. Babby scientist's first existential crisis.
>>
>>984225
Not me. Jesus is perfect.
>>
>>984259
Yeah, well, that's a given.
>>
>>982693
No. It's a sober and noble admission that we only have a tentative grasp of things.

These kinds of discussions don't cause any sort of progress, for they are just a glorified match of "I know you are, but what am I"
>>
>>984245
So you are telling me that a loving father would just leave a child to die because all Children are little pieces of shit instead of raising him into a proper adult?
Because that's what God compares himself to.
>>
>>982693
You're making the mistake of assuming that there is/must be a "why"
"why" is blue, blue? It's funny how people always talk about the "why" for the so called big question.
But if there is a "why" for those, certainly there must be a "why" for the most innocuous and mundane of whats.
>>
>>984196
1. Scientists don't try to prove or disprove metaphysical questions about God, in fact scientific journals seldom if ever at all talk about how their findings relate to religious beliefs because it's a completely different sphere of inquiry. If you think science tries to disprove God it is because you have no background in the sciences or think science is what amazing atheists on Youtube comment sections do.
2. I go to a Baptist university where I'm getting a STEM degree and take plenty of science courses with Christian professors who have PhDs from both Christian and non-Christian universities and have plenty of published and recognized research. Many of the ones I acquaint myself with are openly Christian and in fact I've heard them talk about their religious beliefs in public. I'm sorry if your "God's not Dead!" persecution fantasy doesn't hold with reality, but Christians aren't persecuted in the sciences because the overwhelming majority of the sciences don't care what you believe in if your research is sound and scientific.
>>
>>984267
So if there is some way to have God place upon me the righteousness of Christ Jesus, then I'm golden.
>>
>>984277
Mind if I ask what "God is not dead" is about? Is there a lot of persecution complex in it?
I have heard about it but never looked through it.
>>
File: Hell of a Book.jpg (39KB, 229x331px) Image search: [Google]
Hell of a Book.jpg
39KB, 229x331px
>>984252
That was a translation error. That's referring to the beach Luau with a hot coals challenge, roast pig, that goes on into the night time. I'm seeing some very glaring errors in your understanding of the bible. You do have the proper edition, right?
>>
>>984271
Dead babies don't go to hell. No clue where you got that from.

Good fathers raise their children right, with respect to the law, teaching them to be responsible and giving and loving and protective. God does all that and more for His children.

He doesn't do any of that for the children of the devil. You go to war with the Almighty, it's total war, and you lose.
>>
>>984277
Again, we're mocking Scientism, the belief that science holds all the answers, or will soon, not actual science.

You go to a christian collage, and opine on the workplace for actual scientists as if you knew anything, to me.

Ponderous.
>>
>>984298
What if being a good father is raising a warrior that can defend and go off to seek greatness for your tribe?

Seems unfair they never got told about rethinking their clam bake and not killing.
>>
>>984290
Reread yours. I think it tells you that you're the pig.
>>
>>984298
I never said dead babies (I suppose anything after that may go to hell though, as a Baby as an example may glutton when his mother breast feed her.)

And I suppose that means God is a bad father, since after Noah he basically only really cared about the Jews.
>>
>>984313
Jesus killed 186,000 soldiers in a second. He does not need my mighty warrior powers to vanquish His enemies.
>>
>>982697
There are some things we will never understand due to our limited capabilities of perception, even with science. If you mean science as the law by which existence work, like Spinoza's God, I would agree. Thats just my personal opinion though.
>>
>>984316
No, it tells me cocaine is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>984329
>jesus killed
link me to your fan fic bro
>>
>>984323
The Jews always had ways to let Gentiles into their midst. They came up with the baptism idea to convert Gentiles to Jews long before John the Baptist was alive.

Anyone who believes Moses and the prophets is saved, and there are plenty of people in the bible who do just that. When Jesus led the captives free from Paradise, it was a horde, not a few.
>>
>>984336
The Angel of The LORD = Jesus

2 Kings 19:35 [ Sennacheribā€™s Defeat and Death ] And it came to pass on a certain night that the angel of the Lord went out, and killed in the camp of the Assyrians one hundred and eighty-five thousand; and when people arose early in the morning, there were the corpsesā€”all dead.
>>
>>984336
I think he's referring to Legion.
>>
>>982779
>Free will
Time is the fourth dimensional axis by which three dimensional space is altered. It's all determined and we have an illusion of free will. We're just along for the ride.

And yea, through the scientific method one could explain art and what you find beautiful. A computer just made its own unique Rembrandt a week ago or so. I know thats a baby step but this can all be measured and reproduced, even creativity and emotion.
>>
>>984339
Whete does god tell the jews to spread their faith? And why the need of Jesus then?
>>
>>984350
Only pigs died in that story. Pigs are too proud to be possessed by demons; only men submit to that.
>>
>>984375
God separated them from everyone else with the kosher laws, and then elevated them above everyone else by conquest.

That drew in people.

Unfortunately, the Jews turned inwards, and not outwards, and became stagnant, and died. 400 years later, a baby is born in a manger in Bethlehem, Who is Christ the King, and the world has never been the same since.
>>
>>984350
>>984342
>>
>>984391
>Seperated by Kosher laws
How does that draw in people?

>Conquest
Then he told them to genocide everything they conquered, which should deter a good amount of people.
>>
>>984414
>Which should make conversion impossible for a good number of people
>>
>>984287
Did you ever get a forwarded email about the student that stands against the philosophy professor that says "GOD IS DEAD" and the professor loses his shit or something? It's basically that, a movie about a philosophy professor who apparently quotes Richard Dawkins and Hawking as philosophical proof and asks students to sign a paper saying God is dead on the first day (this is supposed to be a plausible story!) then a bunch of side stories about a Christian pastor who saves a Muslim girl from her oppressive father who doesn't want her to read the Gospel and a bunch of other shit. I'd insult it but it was so bad I've been considering going to the movie theater to watch the sequel, it can't get more hilarious than the first. Recommended watch for sure.

>>984310
>Again, we're mocking Scientism, the belief that science holds all the answers, or will soon, not actual science.
That's not what I've seen in this thread. You, or someone like you, posted a Cracked article about how science can't tell us about Solitaire. That's just trying a go against science because it doesn't have answers for every scientific phenomenon yet, and it's as moronic as saying science will answer metaphysical questions or even worse, moral questions. The way this thread "mocks" is pretty laughable.

>You go to a christian collage, and opine on the workplace for actual scientists as if you knew anything, to me.
It's still one of the top hundred in the US and it does PhD programs for most scientific disciplines. Professors with PhDs in scientific areas are scientists, and I sure know them more than you give off. Stop making up persecution narratives.
>>
>>984375
>And why the need of Jesus then?

In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were presented with two gospels. God's gospel was to eat anything they wanted, as freely as they wanted, of anything they wanted, and that the entire world was under their dominion. Except for one tree. That was God's tree, and they couldn't eat from it.

If you know people, you know that if you tell them they can have anything they want, except for X, the only thing they will want is X.

While they were literally leaning up against the forbidden tree, the snake came up to them and gave them the devil's gospel. Did God really say that? He said you'd die? No, you won't die. You'll know good and evil, and you will be like God.

So there you have it. Two spiritual fathers, God and the devil, two gospels, and one choice to make. And of course they made the wrong choice. And of course God knew they would.

As a result of that, sin entered the world, and pain, and sorrow, and suffering, and disease, and thorns, and briars, and hard child labor, and working by the sweat of your brow, etc., etc., etc. But that sin barrier separated man from God. God cannot live with sin. Think matter and anti-matter. Cannot co-exist.

So man began to live under various dispensations. Innocence in the Garden. Conscience after the Fall. Human government set up by Noah after the Flood. Promise God gave to Abraham. Law given by Moses.

And finally Grace under the King, Jesus. The Law was given to the servant, Moses; grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. His death paid the price for all of mankind's sin, and removed the sin barrier between man and God. God's justice, holiness and righteousness satisfied, God in His mercy and grace offers us the free gift of His salvation, which is Himself. That indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit that Adam and Eve lost.

tl;dr Jesus made it possible for us to regain what Adam and Eve lost.
>>
File: Big daddy.png (2MB, 466x5278px) Image search: [Google]
Big daddy.png
2MB, 466x5278px
>>984426
So it's Jack Chick the movie?
>>
>>984414
How does separation.....draw in people.....

Yes, God is the Judge, and gave the most wicked people on earth 400 years to repent, and they never did. He condemned them to death. And the world would be a much better place if Joshua had finished the job.
>>
>>984426
>That's just trying a go against science

It's a go against the poster who said that science has answers for everything, actually.
>>
>>984426
>Stop making up persecution narratives.

You have much to learn about the world, sheltered child.
>>
>>984437
It's a pro-Christian inspirational movie. It's okay. Don't expect much in the way of acting chops.
>>
File: godsnotdead[1].jpg (14KB, 400x252px) Image search: [Google]
godsnotdead[1].jpg
14KB, 400x252px
>>984442
>You have much to learn about the world, sheltered child.
I'm sure you've had to endure plenty of persecution for speaking up against those damn secularists. Do you need anxiety meds after that sort of traumatic stress?

>It's a go against the poster who said that science has answers for everything, actually.
Go back and see how this thread started

>>984437
Yep, and with this honk as disagreeable angry atheist professor who hates God, you can't go wrong
>>
File: Darwinist answer.png (3MB, 500x5655px) Image search: [Google]
Darwinist answer.png
3MB, 500x5655px
>>984448
But it starts with the teacher giving them an assignment to write "God does not exist"
Does that ever happen outside of a few isolated cases where the teacher while most likely get the bot?
Or is the School aimed to be for atheists?
>>
>>984456
Why did you go to a Baptist college when you're clearly not even a nominal Christian? Just to pollute it with your presence?
>>
>>984437
Aren't there negatively charged particles?
>>
>>984458
The state of education in America is designed not only to dumb down the populace but to prepare it for global Marxism.

They've stated this is their purpose since at least the early 80's, if not early 70's.

I'd say mission accomplished.
>>
File: 1458939311291s.jpg (6KB, 250x217px) Image search: [Google]
1458939311291s.jpg
6KB, 250x217px
>>984438
>Yes, God is the Judge, and gave the most wicked people on earth 400 years to repent, and they never did. He condemned them to death. And the world would be a much better place if Joshua had finished the job.
>>
>>984468
Yeah.
There is even positively and neutrally charged Electrons (Or at least at the same size who kinda work in the same way).
The answer to that Comic his here >>984458
>>
>>984463
Because it offers a respected science program. No, normal people don't have theological arguments in religious institutions. Sorry if it hurts that your persecution fantasy isn't really debated
>>
>>984342
Those poor Assyrians :(
>>
>>982733
The only way to disagree with it is to misunderstand it
>>
>>982779
>discards efficacy of scientific method because it cannot determine every aspect of the most mysterious and perhaps fundamental force in the universe
>denies that humans are no more than physical systems
>still holds on to free will

You sir, are an utter waste. You were born during an age of discovery an yet hold on to archaic retardations. I'd bet my mother's life that you're Christian.
>>
File: KingOfKings_24.jpg (193KB, 789x1124px) Image search: [Google]
KingOfKings_24.jpg
193KB, 789x1124px
So Evangelists really believe that some sort of "evil" may live in the blood because someone a few thousands of years ago did something bad?
Because they do seem to think that the reason Isis and Islam exists today is because that the Jews didn't kill of the Caanaites or that Ishmael came to be born.
Aka, events long long ago affect them today despite there not really existing any continuous cultural or religious bonds because they got it in their blood.
>>
>>985275
Even then, it's a bad argument. The bible never refers to this act of Abraham as a sin. Hajar was their slave, he was within his right to use her to conceive a child. This conception by proxy was a common thing in hebrew culture. See for example the whole matter with Onan, later, where if a man dies, his brother may conceive a child with the mans wife, so that his name may live on.
Conception by proxy was a valid way of getting children, and in that sense it was Ismaƫl who was Abrahams legitimate first son. Not Isaac.
>>
>>983957
>I am disappoint

That's some excellrnt subtle trolling there buddy, keep up the great work!
>>
>>982693
>science still knows so little
Pssh. All of the data collected by all scientists ever are exabytes of information. All the collected works of all philosophers is enough to what, fill up a library or five? That's not even a gig. Kind of laughable, desu.

*tips safety goggles*
>>
File: 1459801699845.jpg (1MB, 2240x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1459801699845.jpg
1MB, 2240x1400px
Question for the thread. What can science tell us about the existence of other objects?

Science cannot escape the weakness of perception.

Without phil, we would take for granted that things, aside from our mind, exist. Phil allows us to question this.

Additional question, what can science tell us about morals?
>>
Another question, why did God harden Pharaohs heart?
>>
>>985379
Pharaoh kept acting like an edge lord
>>
>>985415
Because his heart was hardened?
>>
>>985428
Even before that
>>
>>983727
That's a rim job though.
>>
>>982693
The idea that science is this one concept this one united pursuit of the unknown is absolutely ridiculous.
Science when defined as the undeniable juggernaut is an undeniable juggernaut.
But then you look at it like a rational adult above the level of a PBS special and you realize that "science" doesn't exist.
It's just a jumbling of ad-hoc philosophies that lean on a very small range of anecdotes and people just confirming with eachother that they see the same thing.

>Science
always been a meme always will be
It's just philosophy rebranded to look more appealing to simpler men.

I know people will dispute this, but consider for a moment that you are looking at what I am saying from a specific worldview that contains what you would call science, but then disect the "science" and you'll find more worldviews and paradigms.

The method is just a process, its no different than Socratic or Cartesian processes.
>>
>>985456
Science gives tangible and applicable results. Maybe not absolute truth but it sure is better than other methods.
>>
>>985370
>the weakness of perception
You mean what every human has to deal with every day? That thing that lets us have a basis for reality? It seems that is bigger than anything phil has to offer and obviously we are interested in pondering about it. We wouldn't even have a language, a concept of morality or anything if we didn't have the universe appart from us.
>>
>>984342
The angel of the lord isn't conclusively jesus and we all know that bullshit was really just grassland nomads or something.
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.