[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give us one good reason why gladiatorial sport should not come

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: gladiators.gif (51KB, 325x173px) Image search: [Google]
gladiators.gif
51KB, 325x173px
Give us one good reason why gladiatorial sport should not come back in some way shape or form.
>>
>>981433
Wrestling and boxing exist
>>
>>981439
>Implying we didn't have that back then too
>>
>>981439
eh, those have been around since before gladiator fights. the only reason Gladiator fights were a thing, iirc, that they fights were originally a part of the ceremony when during a funeral or something. then they lost that significance and became the entertainment spectacles of the Roman world.

To answer the question, it'd probably end up being some kind of human rights violations to force two people to hack and slash at each other.
>>
>>981433
It would be difficult to get soccer moms excited to take their children to bloodsport practice.
>>
>>981460
>that they fights were originally a part of the ceremony
It originated from the Samnites, I can't remember if it was a whole month or whatever but basically the Samnites had this celebration for their god of war one part of it were the warriors fighting one another in these war games dedicated to him. Romans later adopted it.
>>
>>981433

I just want Unreal Tournament or Quake to become real tbqh.
>>
>>981433
>implying they are not already back
>>
But it is anon.
http://uwm.tv/
>>
>>981713
TIME TO END THIS SUFFERING
>>
>>981460
This. Also the acquisition of empire gave an endless supply of expendable slaves who could be forced to fight as gladiators. It was this economic context that allowed gladiatorial fights to reach the scale they did
>>
Make all sex offenders fight in gladiatorial arenas. I'd pay good money to see Jared the Subway guy get sliced at.
>>
Too expensive.
>>
>>981433
It kills people, so who the fuck would do it?
>>
>>981861
>That 18 year-old guy that fucked a 16-year-old sure is a monster that deserves to die for our entertainment
>>
>>981861
>most of /a/ and /mlp/ are forced into the gladiatorial games
>>
reality tv shows are already at the stage where people are more and more willing to expose themselves to risk of death or severe injury.

there won't be gladiator combat ut people will be willing to sign up to filmed reality tv shows about extreme survival or extreme sports where people will occasionally seriously injure themselves or die.
>>
>>981433

because we got MMORPG's, you dunce

and they were never sports, they started as ritual turned into, quite literaly, circus spectacles

i mean where do you think the word circus comes from

the equivalent today would be if a group of prisoners would be made do fight a mock battle with rubber bullets and baseballbats wearing clown sissy costumes, then some vote decides if the loosing side gets executed 'for reals' or pardoned
>>
>>981433
Actual fighting isn't as entertaining as the movies, and one-on-one with weapons it's often pretty brief. Unarmed fighting is much more entertaining, takes longer, and is much less expensive.

Also killing's wrong yo
>>
>>983146

>Actual fighting isn't as entertaining as the movies

thats why they added all sorts of silly absurd crap to it and acted a lot

the gladiator fights themselves were a realy popular act but it was 80% performance and spectacle, gladiators rarely got killed in the play istelf, and then even by accident or from wounds, if there wasnt some big reason for it like a public offence or some state holyday, the loosers rarely got killed

there was all sorts of other acts that involved ritualised killing tho, of humans, big cats, horses, rhinos, whatever fun and interesting and memy at the moment

remember this WAS the circus, only difference was it was basicaly state funded, placed in massive mass produced amphitheaters, and the main acts were usualy something about explicit violence and death

like the way greeks took theaters whereever they went, where you could listen to speeches, enjoy catarsic plays and hold public discussion, rome built huge stone circuses where you could watch forced sex, animal molestation and snuff
>>
>>981861
>that guy who drunkenly pissed against a wall at night ought to die for my amusement
Yeah no
>>
>>981455
>>981439

So you're asking why we don't have literal fights to the death? With weapons? Are you seriously asking that?
>>
>>981844
>>981460

Read the Running Man by Stephen King (or just see the Schwarzenegger movie by the same name). Very plausible moral and legal basis for recreating a kind of televised gladiatorial sporting competition.
>>
>>983091
Where do you live? Most places allow at least 3 years difference.
>>
>>981844
Most of the time Gladiators didn't actually die.
>>
Football (“handegg” for the metric posters here) is the closest sport to military combat.
>>
>>983226
>rome built huge stone circuses where you could watch forced sex, animal molestation and snuff

BASED
A
S
E
D
>>
>>983370
There is no sport called foodball.

There's Handegg americans play and there's divegrass or povertyball the rest of the world plays.
>>
>>983370
MMA
>>
>>983283
But if you take pictures of your gf you go straight to jail.
>>
>>981433

Gladiator fights and wrestling (the American kind that's fake) have a lot in common actually.
>>
File: kekulus rift.png (291KB, 680x371px) Image search: [Google]
kekulus rift.png
291KB, 680x371px
>>983370
Even b8 can be funny sometimes
>>
>>981433
Football exists; you can still have your bread and circus, pleb.
>>
>>981433

As much as I'd love it, civilization and society is at a point where it would do more harm than good. There's no real reason to promote strength and violence anymore. The world is too small of a place.
>>
inb4 someone claims Gladiators never died and it was all just fun and games

Death rate was pretty high actually
>>
>>983056
Death row inmates or people willing to risk it for the reward.

>>983260
Do you have an answer for it beyond feelings?
>>
Most gladiatorial bouts weren't fought to the death, but rather first draw of blood or surrender. Bouts of death were rare and often held for special occasion such as a new emperor or a triumph of some sort.
>>
>>983334
This. Apparently gladiatoring was not so dangerous as we believe. At least not in the late versions of the games. There were schools where people could signa contract for a certain time, and granted they survived, they were richer than the average roman when done. So we just have to find desperate and poor immigrants and propose them some gold we will compensate with the ads and goodies anyway
>>
The closest you would get are the medieval combat dudes who buy armor, represent a country and beat the others till they surrender.

>mfw no obnoxious shiney armour to support freedom and democracy through bloodshed.

I hear the eastern europeans are awesome teams in this.

http://youtu.be/FPbTWDeqQf0
>>
File: animu slav.jpg (65KB, 604x403px) Image search: [Google]
animu slav.jpg
65KB, 604x403px
Have you seen team fighting? It's basically a legal bar brawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7gEZ1Ux-ns
>>
>>983370
Have you never heard of HEMA? Fuck off >>>/sp/
Only a braindead subhuman ape could enjoy that handegg rigged garbage. Literally the same tier as WWE
>>
>>983226
>forced sex
Elaborate pls.
>>
>>983334
Why did Spartacus go apeshit then? Or were his armies manned by latifundia slaves?
>>
>>981433
Because unlike 4chan, average people haven't been desensitized by 100 hours of liveleak footage.
>>
>>983283
>most places

Actually, in the US, only 14/50 (28%) of states have statutes like that.
>>
>>986517
How many tens of thousands of gladiators did you think Italia had under Rome?
>>
>>981433
I think non-lethal honorable combat should be a thing
>>
>>986567
>>981433
>>
Should make Trump fight in the ring!
>>
>>986107
This is badass as hell, the only thing they need to do is cut outthe grappling it always turns into 8 dudes just rolling around with eachother
>>
>>986502

I would love to see some sissy boy like lindybeige, skalla or thrand and ildgrim get run over by a 300 lb linebacker. Even their faggot armor wouldn't save them
>>
>>986687
>Even their faggot armor wouldn't save them
One of their longswords probably would tho
>>
>>983117
If only anon, if only...
>Neckbeards with katanas fighting eachother
>>
>>986027
That would be against human rights. I guess they could do it if there was a chance of getting out again and if they were doing it on their own will
>>
>>986517
Spartacus was a Thracian and most of his army consisted of Gauls and Germans wanting to flee back home while plundering Italia.
>>
>>987216
>human rights

lol

Gladiator games only went out because of Christianity, now that Atheism and Islam are taking over we might as well bring them back.
>>
>>986511
I think they took slaves and had them force sex with other animals.
>>
File: EjJopdb.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
EjJopdb.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>983370
You can do better anon
>>
>>981433
>Give us one good reason why gladiatorial sport should not come back in some way shape or form.
Because forcing people to kill each other is not compatible with the western world's legal principles, and no one (or more likely, not nearly enough) people are up to risking their life willingly.
>>
>>987377
Don't you worry. We're getting there. See >>983132
>>
>>981433
Does this include people vs. tigers, or just people vs. people? Because I'd totally watch the former
>>
>>981433
Gladiators are still a thing. Check out snuff stuff.
The issue is that it's gross boring shit that is only fun if you're the type that gets riled up seeing blood. It's not the kinda activity that entices athletes, it's the kind that entices desperate fucks with nothing to lose.

I don't need to see people actually die or gore themselves, I'm fine with current combat sports. I do wish HEMA would pick up tho, and I do have some changes I'd like to see to the MMA rulesets (shit like stomping, there's no reason to give grappler such an unfair advantage).
>>
>>987317
Yes but we're his followers gladiator slaves or plantation slaves, or a mix of the two. Cause if they were gladiators that would mean they were dissatisfied with their conditions...

>>986546
Several thousand at least? Slaves from Spain and mithridatic wars?
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.