[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of artifacts does /his/ have >inb4 I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: rosettastone.jpg (366KB, 1011x1296px) Image search: [Google]
rosettastone.jpg
366KB, 1011x1296px
What kind of artifacts does /his/ have

>inb4 I don't have any just curious
>>
>>971051
I have some less than legal indian pottery and arrow heads. That's about it.
>>
>>971132
Cool any pics
>>
>>971051

I have one ancient Greek Athenian silver coin.

Other than that, nothing, but I've had several chances to swipe some.

I used to house-sit for an old lady who had a couple bronzes recovered from Pompeii and a shoebox that had some old watches formerly owned by Louis XIV.

In university my archaeology professor gave me the keys to the s33krut lab so I could get some quiet study time. I was surrounded by wares picked up from various Mesoamerican civilizations and tribes. No figurines, more like shards and some modest clay vessels. And a lot of arrowheads.

I'm thinking of getting a metal detector and start some srs neolithic/bronze/iron age grave robbing though.
>>
File: eosuZ9w.jpg (29KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
eosuZ9w.jpg
29KB, 398x500px
>>971258
>>
>>971258
Bring /his/ back some picks of your findings
>>
-A bronze Roman As of Constantine the Great
-Stones from Pompeii, the Colosseum and the Circus Maximus

My brother has a bigger collection of stuff than I do, this is what he has
-A nazi war merit cross with swords on the emblem (taken by my Great Grandpa from a dead Wehrmacht soldier in the Bulge)
-World War 1 british gas mask used for infants
-U.S. Civil War set of bullets
-British World War 1 tommy hat
>>
when I was a kid my dad showed me his live grenade from Nam. seemed really cool, albeit dangerous to keep around a house

it wasn't until years later when he overheard me telling a friend about it that he told me it was just a novelty lighter.
>>
File: 1429130924251.png (103KB, 624x434px) Image search: [Google]
1429130924251.png
103KB, 624x434px
>tfw when I can read the Greek and understand it

It's a weird feel.
>>
File: 20160215_221731-1.jpg (3MB, 2326x2149px) Image search: [Google]
20160215_221731-1.jpg
3MB, 2326x2149px
I dug this up when I was about 12 in Athens. It even has the makers mark. I now realize that it was a mistake to dig there, however once I graduate from the University I'll go back to dig up the rest of that spot.
>>
File: 1456514883561.png (138KB, 566x528px) Image search: [Google]
1456514883561.png
138KB, 566x528px
>>971366
ό μὲγας ό kλὲπτης.
>>
File: 1460074189197.jpg (56KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1460074189197.jpg
56KB, 500x522px
>>971397
I didn't steal it, I'm just borrowing it.
>>
I have
- Several WWII Rifles
- NVA (East German) Army Ushanka
- Cold War era Czech Gas mask
- Pre-Euro money from several European countries
- Several Small Soviet knickknacks
- Civil War Union forage cap in surprisingly good condition
- Confederate $5 bill
- Deactivated Vietnam era Pineapple grenade
- Vietnam era M1 helmet complete with stuff drawn all over the cover by whomever owned it
- A piece of the original deck of the USS Iowa
- A pair of Qing dynasty jade Foo dogs in rough condition

I keep it all in my home office. I would post a picture but my camera is currently dead.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (7KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7KB, 216x233px
>>971407
>>
>>971406
That's what Lord Elgin said about the Parthenon Marbles too ;^)
>>
>>971425
Yeah but I'm Greek and studying to be an archaeologist, so it's not as bad. It's better served on display than being in the basement of cataloged artifacts that don't look good enough to put on display.
>>
>>971432
>Yeah but I'm Greek and studying to be an archaeologist, so it's not as bad

Cool. I heard archaeology is a pretty hard course. Is it?
>>
>>971488
well its kinda difficult depending on the class but it's nothing like you think it is
>>
I have the equivalent of a Purple Heart from the Imperial Japanese Army

Other than that, various pieces of Middle Eastern silverware
>>
>>971558
What period is the silverware from?, of you know
>>
>>971581
About 100 years or so, from Persia
>>
>>971132
>less than legal
What's that supposed to mean? It's illegal to own pottery?
>>
I have a small piece of the Berlin Wall.
>>
>>971705
Thats cool how'd ya get it?
>>
>>971051

I've got some old Confederate money and some stamps.
>>
>>971705
>>971713
I have one too. My gramps got it as a gift from a foreign student
>>
>>971716
How did you get those?
>>
File: Stuff.jpg (46KB, 1365x768px) Image search: [Google]
Stuff.jpg
46KB, 1365x768px
These are just a few things that I have:

>A "complete works of Tennyson" published before he finished his complete works
>A pre-war English concertina
>Mosin-Nagant
>Native American acorn crushing rock
>Butter knife forged of pure nippon steel, folded over 10000000000 times.
>>
>>971705
>>971713
>>971716
I've got some Berlin wall.
My father's friend was a German guard.
>>
>>971731
Fucking, love that rifle bro
>>
>>971051
I have this wooden box with a quaint little painting on it from Vietnam. My grandpa got it while he was there. It looks just like a nic-nac but actually has a secret compartment inside, however, the compartment is stuck and whatever I put in there when it still opened is lost unless i break it open, so now it really is just a nic nac, sitting by the bottom of my monitor.
>>
>>971690
it's not actually legal to just pick up pottery shards from recognized archeological sites. So if, for example, you were wandering around Snake Mound historic site in Ohio and found a shard and took it home, that's illegal.
Not criminal really. If exposed, it would be confiscated and returned to the site for cataloging, but illegal nonetheless.
>>
>>971861
It's a really good specimen, too. The rifling looks practically new and those laminated stocks are always beautiful. You never would have guessed it was made in 1942 and probably marched all the way to Berlin.
>>
There's a few things.

>an old sabre
>WW1-era Italian helmet
>WW2 Stahlhelm turned into the head of a dung shovel (I'd say that the fact that it turned from a helmet to a tool is interesting enough to call it an artifact)
>WW2-era American army knife
>>
>>971900
Any pics?
>>
>>971909
The dung shovel head looks exactly like the pic. I don't have any pics of the other items but they're pretty mundane. We got the dung shovel when we received the stall after the previous owner (who my family worked for) died. The Italian helmet has a hole in the front. My father brought the knife over during his stay in the US (he was a sailor). I haven't asked where the sabre came from.
>>
File: Sea_Lion.png (374KB, 592x442px) Image search: [Google]
Sea_Lion.png
374KB, 592x442px
I have a Seiko Sea Lion M99 kinetic watch, which my father found on a bathroom sink on base in Saigon.

(pic is not my watch)
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.