[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any recorded jokes from antiquity? I don't mean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 58

File: fart-animal1-e1424295471102.jpg (50KB, 600x288px) Image search: [Google]
fart-animal1-e1424295471102.jpg
50KB, 600x288px
Are there any recorded jokes from antiquity? I don't mean some witty one liner or observation, I mean a common sort of joke that many people would have heard or known of.
>>
File: Tenniel_Astrologer.jpg (159KB, 344x826px) Image search: [Google]
Tenniel_Astrologer.jpg
159KB, 344x826px
Not exactly a joke, but a popular/recurring character in stories was "the absent-minded professor" who is so distracted by his studies that he forgets his surroundings.
It's been recorded as early as ~600 BC when the philosopher Thales was said to have been too busy gazing at the heavens to notice that he was about to fall into a well.
Basically, people have always liked making fun of nerds.
>>
>>970687

I'm not sure if what is contained in "The Clouds" by Aristophanes would count under your definition, but it mocked the practice of philosophy and philosophers in silly ways that must have resonated with the audience. Basically repeatedly portrayed them as detached, comical hippies with crackpot theories.

Read anything by Aristophanes, actually. You'll probably find something along those lines.
>>
>>970687
There was a trope that Heracles was hungry that was used in a lot of Athenian comedy. Apparently it was used so often, that Aristophanes makes fun of the fact that it's a trope.
>>
>>970993
Or that he ate a lot or something I don't even fucking remember.
>>
I wonder just how many memes have been lost to the sands of time...
>>
>>970997
Today we look at medieval snail art and wonder what the fuck was the joke.

1,000 years from now people will find baneposts and wonder what the fuck was the joke.
>>
File: mingposting.jpg (103KB, 454x800px) Image search: [Google]
mingposting.jpg
103KB, 454x800px
>>971006
Nah, Baneposts have always existed.
>>
Not antiquity but I recall Ieyasu Tokugawa had an armor made with fur and a big horned helmet as a joke after Hideyoshi Toyotomi called him the Cow of Kanto.

There's always good ol Djogenes throwing a plucked chicken at Plato and screaming "Behold a Human!!"
>>
File: laughingmullah.jpg (32KB, 545x270px) Image search: [Google]
laughingmullah.jpg
32KB, 545x270px
Not antiquity, but Nasreddin Hodja stories always crack me up.

http://u.cs.biu.ac.il/~schiff/Net/front.html
>>
Romans really liked jokes about travelers dressing up as famous people. I don't know why.
>>
>>970975
Obligatory
>Praxagora: I want all to have a share of everything and all property to be in common; there will no longer be either rich or poor. I shall begin by making land, money, everything that is private property, common to all.
>Blepyrus: But who will till the soil?
>Praxagora: The slaves
>>
>>970797

The Philogelos has a lot of jokes about dumb intellectuals as well, often centering around how they don't get common everyday language and act like 4chan autists.

>An intellectual came to check in on a friend who was seriously ill. When the man's wife said that he had 'departed,' the intellectual replied: 'When he arrives back, will you tell him that I stopped by?'
>>
>>971058
Also as slaves and patricians swapping places.
>>
>>971092

And just generally having a slave who was much, much smarter than his master and taking advantage of the situation.
>>
>>971035
kek'd
>>
>all these jokes at the expense of philosophers
They really were unpopular, huh?
>>
>>971087
Pls post more or link to where I can find more.
>>
>>970687
>
>
>
was a pretty big joke
>>
>>971113

http://www.stoa.org/diotima/anthology/quinn_jokes.shtml
>>
>>971124
Thank you, based anon.
>>
>>970797

That reminds me of of the (legendary) death of Archimedes.

When a Roman soldier entered his house and barked some orders at him during the invasion of Sicily, Archimedes was only concerned with the geometric shapes he'd drawn on the floor. He brushed off the dude by hollering back, "Μη μου τους kύkλους τάραττε!" ("Don't disturb my circles!") and immediately got the stabby-stab-stab. Famous apocryphal last words.
>>
>>971109
>Be vase merchant in Classical Athens
>Inherited business from my father
>I wanted to try out for the Olympics, but he called me a heterosexual and laughed
>At stall one day
>Oh fuck Diogenes is coming
>I hate this guy
>He always shits around the marketplace and drives away customers
>He asks for my largest ceramic jar
>I think he's joking and just want to get rid of him
>I give him my largest jar, free of charge
>He thanks me and asks if I've seen Plato anywhere
>mfw he rolls it a few feet away from my stall and clambers inside it
>mfw he lives in it now
>mfw I'm broke from how many customers avoid my stall because of him
>mfw I have to sell myself into slavery to support my family
>Fucking Diogenes
>>
File: 1458008023467.png (59KB, 576x507px) Image search: [Google]
1458008023467.png
59KB, 576x507px
>>971117
>>
File: snailsmain.jpg (48KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
snailsmain.jpg
48KB, 615x409px
Ancient European medieval art features such memes as knight fighting giant snail and knight fighting giant rabbit, no one knows why.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-were-medieval-knights-always-fighting-snails-1728888/?no-ist

Its common to find, in the blank spaces of 13th and 14th century English texts, sketches and notes from medieval readers. And scattered through this marginalia is an oddly recurring scene: a brave knight in shining armor facing down a snail.

It’s a great unsolved mystery of medieval manuscripts. As Got Medieval writes, “You get these all the time in the margins of gothic manuscripts.”

And I do mean all the time. They’re everywhere! Sometimes the knight is mounted, sometimes not. Sometimes the snail is monstrous, sometimes tiny. Sometimes the snail is all the way across the page, sometimes right under the knight’s foot. Usually, the knight is drawn so that he looks worried, stunned, or shocked by his tiny foe.
>>
File: brutal.jpg (138KB, 640x459px) Image search: [Google]
brutal.jpg
138KB, 640x459px
the rabbit is pretty metal
>>
my brother is a friar and he says the far-east is populated with headless demon men
>>
File: fc,550x550,gold.u1.jpg (47KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,gold.u1.jpg
47KB, 550x550px
>>971187
>he called me a heterosexual and laughed
>>
>>971221
>>971233
>>971187
>>971035
officialy one of my fav /his/ threads of all time
>>
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-joke-life-idUKL129052420080731

>The world's oldest recorded joke has been traced back to 1900 BC and suggests that toilet humour was as popular with the ancients as it is today.

>It is a saying of the Sumerians, who lived in what is now southern Iraq and goes: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."
>>
>>971266

"A woman did not fart in her husband's lap... SAID NO ONE, EVER."
>>
>>971221
le snail knight is my favourite meme
>>
>>971087
>Greek intellectuals
>>
File: DSC_0046.jpg (980KB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0046.jpg
980KB, 3920x2204px
There was a thread about a lot of jokes from Rome a few months ago. Some about friars ripping ass holes from spit and realizing oil was better lube
Also this one
>farmer needs new horse only has ten dracma or whatever
>horse dealer wants twenty for the horse
>farmer says he'll pay half and be in debt to dealer
>dealer agrees
>next day dealer comes to collect on debt
>farmer says, oh but the agreement was that I'd be in debt to you, if I pay off the debt how can I be in debt to you. That's not the agreement
Something like that
>>
>>971068
Lmao. Its really funny because it could be quite the ideal system but unfortunately its completely paradoxical. I guess we could solve it with robots as slaves though
>>
>>971124
misogynist had a wife who never stopped talking or arguing. When she died, he had her body carried on a shield to the cemetery. When someone noticed this and asked him why, he replied: "She was a fighter."

It feels strange to think some things are timeless
>>
Oldest jokes in the English language:
>A curiosity hangs by the thigh of a man, under its master's cloak. It is pierced through in the front; it is stiff and hard and it has a good standing-place. When the man pulls up his own robe above his knee, he means to poke with the head of his hanging thing that familiar hole of matching length which he has often filled before. What is it?

>I am a wondrous creature: to women a thing of joyful expectation, to close-lying companions serviceable. I harm no city-dweller excepting my slayer alone. My stem is erect and tall—I stand up in bed—and whiskery somewhere down below. Sometimes a countryman's quite comely daughter will venture, bumptious girl, to get a grip on me. She assaults my red self and seizes my head and clenches me in a cramped place. She will soon feel the effect of her encounter with me, this curl-locked woman who squeezes me. Her eye will be wet. What am I?

>I have heard of a something-or-other, growing in its nook, swelling and rising, pushing up its covering. Upon that boneless thing a cocky-minded young woman took a grip with her hands; with her apron a lord's daughter covered the tumescent thing. What is it?

The answers are a key, an onion, and dough
>>
>>972324
So old dick jokes huh
>>
>>971233
sergeant sapwood?
>>
>>970687

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_jokes
>>
>>970687
Medieval joke :

Two merchants are sitting in an inn and one asks the other "So have you ever been married?"

The other one says" Yes, three times in fact."

"Three times!" says the first merchant in suprise.

"Yes' says the second, but alas each of my wives committed suicide by hanging themselves from the tree in my yard."

Excitedly the first merchant asks the second "I don't suppose I could have a cutting from this wonderous tree?"
>>
File: 1-lepr_370.png (106KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
1-lepr_370.png
106KB, 370x370px
>William of Malmesbury's humorous anecdote illustrates both the character of John Scotus Eriugena and the position he occupied at the French court. The king having asked, "Quid distat inter sottum et Scottum?" (what separates a drunkard from an Irishman?) Eriugena replied, "Tabula tantum" (Only a table).
>>
>Secundus defecated here
>>
>>971221
It sounds like parody to me.
>>
>>970997
The Hwans burned them all when they sacked Helsinki, because they burned the Great Meme Storage Center of Finland.
>>
>>971124
All the intellectuals remind me of Coach from Cheers, who wasn't very smart.
>>
>>971297
I love how translators usually use the poshiest language they can use while they could be transliterating the ancient equivalent of cockney or niggerspeak
>>
if anyone somehow hasn't seen this already: roman graffiti

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm
>>
File: wsq.png (21KB, 177x156px) Image search: [Google]
wsq.png
21KB, 177x156px
>>973338
They were just like us...
>>
>>973367
R O M A
O
M
A
>>
>>973329
>bitches don't fart in their man's lap...NAWT
>>
My favorite Diogenes vs. Plato story:

Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in the world, there is only one 'idea' of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups.

"I can see the cup on the table," interrupted Diogenes, "but I can't see the 'cupness'".

"That's because you have the eyes to see the cup," said Plato, "but", tapping his head with his forefinger, "you don't have the intellect with which to comprehend 'cupness'."

Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, "Is it empty?"

Plato nodded.

"Where is the 'emptiness' which precedes this empty cup?" asked Diogenes.

Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato's head with his finger, said "I think you will find here is the 'emptiness'."
>>
>>971233

OMG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgj3nZWtOfA
>>
>>974033
Fookin rekt
>>
>"Guess what?"
>"What?"
>"Chicken BUTT!"
Some autists didn't pick up on this hilarious gem and that is how the Mongol Empire got started. True story.
>>
File: fuck you, old man.jpg (47KB, 465x600px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you, old man.jpg
47KB, 465x600px
>>974033
Goddamn.
>>
File: spittake.png (98KB, 255x241px) Image search: [Google]
spittake.png
98KB, 255x241px
Gaius Julius Caesar was telling Marc Anthony about the first time he bedded Cleopatra.

So I'm down there and I say "Great Jupiter, this is the biggest pussy I've ever seen, the biggest pussy I've ever seen."

And Cleopatra says, "You're kind of a rude asshole, you didn't have to yell it twice."

And I told her, "I didn't."

Marc Anthony then does the world's first spit take.

It's funny because it's true.
>>
>>970687
The first ever recorded joke was from Babylon in the BC. It was a yo momma joke. You can look it up, im sure.
>>
>>974200
>It's funny because it's true.
proof? I am not sure why I am asking because I seriously doubt any proof exists.
people didn't talk like that back in those days
>>
>>971233
>Yiffe
>>
>>971006
I look at baneposts now and wonder what the fuck is the joke.
>>
Roman memes include wives encouraging their husbands to kill themselves, people being forced off the road to get out of the way of rich people in disgustingly gaudy carriages and piss pots being thrown out of buildings.
>>
>>973338
>literal shitposting
Beautiful
>>
I read somewhere that historians think a lot of Chinese stories are supposed to be jokes, because they keep recurring yet there's no context and they're not funny (to us)
If we could just find an ancient scroll of memes, our understanding of Chinese texts would be greatly increased
>>
>>974560
It's from Predator famalam
>>
>>973338
Does anyone have the pic with all the reactions to it?
>>
File: 1460412017849.jpg (4MB, 2480x5024px) Image search: [Google]
1460412017849.jpg
4MB, 2480x5024px
>>974920
>>973338
Never mind, I found it.
>>
>>970687

Gaius was reported fond of this three part joke that he told at drinking parties.

Q1: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?
>>
>>974977
I don't know Gaius. Why?
>>
>>974991

A1: It was dead.

It think it has to do with the delivery.

Q2: Why did the second monkey fall out of the tree?
>>
>>973338
>Epaphra is not good at ball games
Simple, yet brutal
>>
File: Wu song Avenges his brother.jpg (53KB, 804x804px) Image search: [Google]
Wu song Avenges his brother.jpg
53KB, 804x804px
>>974797
Imperial Chinese Jokes run the following scenarios/stock characters.
>Cheating wife, Cuck Husband, and the "Maboliu" (A woman/friend of the woman who helps arrange an illicit affair). Involving all parties dead after the affair being found out.
>Quack Doctors.
>Corrupt officials
>Barbarians and their sex habits.

Also some stories from the Warring States were used by Confucius as parables, some fashioned into humorous narratives

>Be Yentze, a famed diplomat from the State of Qi.
>Appointed ambassador to the kingdom of Ch'u, which was a large, powerful, and famously asshole kingdom during the Warring States.
>Chu's King seeks to humiliate you.
>King orders you to enter the city walls in the smallest of gates called "the Dog Gate"
>Yentze: "Of course! What was I thinking! One must use a dog gate in a dog country! I must not insult the great State of Ch'u by doing no less!"
>Piss off King. He demands your presence.
>King takes a look at you and says "Qi must be as scant in population as its people are short in body like you are, kek."
>YentzeL "Actually, we're quite populated thank you, and our people are renowned for splendor of body and mind. In Qi, though, we select our ambassadors according to the worth of the country they are sent and- as you correctly deduced, your Majesty- I am the shortest and least clever man of Qi."
>>
>>974997
I'm not sure, Gaius. Why did the 2nd monkey fall out of the tree?
>>
>>975005

A2: A monkey mimics (monkey see monkey do)

Q3: Why did the third monkey fall out for the tree?
>>
>>975012
I do not know, Gaius. Why did he fall?
>>
>>975014

A3: *Barely stifling his laugh* In-group social expectations! (Peer pressure)

Killer huh?
>>
>>975037
>Killer huh?
No, but I feel that I must kill you, Gaius.
>>
>>975037
>A3: *Barely stifling his laugh* In-group social expectations! (Peer pressure)

Would this have been 'virtus' or something like that? Because that's pretty funny, but tough to translate.

The joke is somewhat weakened by the fact that 'in-group social expectations' is somewhat similar to 'monkey see, monkey do'. That could well be mitigated in the original, though.
>>
>>975046

You're not drunk enough. Drink more
>>
>>975067

Translation is an issue. The third answer is different from the second in that it involves social anxiety. The mimicry thing is just supposed to be automatic, thoughtless imitation. They used their own idioms and it would have been funny to them. Straight, literal translations are of course much less funny. But the English idioms I included give a sense of it.
>>
File: feels bad mate.gif (232KB, 994x636px) Image search: [Google]
feels bad mate.gif
232KB, 994x636px
>>973338
>ywn see all the shitposting scrawls from all over the ancient world
>>
>>970687
I don't have the words verbatim but I'm pretty sure one of the oldest jokes ever recorded was basically "ur mum lel"
>>
>>976474
I'm pretty sure that was it
>>
>>971233
It seems codexes were medieval furries' deviantart
>>
>>972324

>carry on serfing

I read those in Babs' voice
>>
>>974033
Is Diogenes the patron saint of /his/?
>>
File: The Dog.jpg (8KB, 250x183px) Image search: [Google]
The Dog.jpg
8KB, 250x183px
>>977972
Yup
>>
>>978259
Oops, I thought I had the meme picture
>>
File: QYcaDFv.jpg (32KB, 258x259px) Image search: [Google]
QYcaDFv.jpg
32KB, 258x259px
>>971233

What the hell, medievals
>>
>>972526
I don't get this
>>
>>978350
>I don't get this
John Scotus Eriugena was an Irish monk. The king tried to slag him and the monk bluffed him. I assume they were sitting across the table from each other.
>>
>>971068
>Bolshevism.jpg
>>
>>970975
So many dick jokes.
>>
>>978360
Top fookin bantz
>>
"Grandpa?"
"No, I'm Grandma!"
>>
File: keksimus.jpg (49KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
keksimus.jpg
49KB, 596x628px
>>973338
>I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Every time.
>>
File: t7.jpg (232KB, 734x800px) Image search: [Google]
t7.jpg
232KB, 734x800px
>>971054
what a madman
>>
File: t24.jpg (247KB, 716x738px) Image search: [Google]
t24.jpg
247KB, 716x738px
>>971054
what a cheeky dude
>>
>>973367
R O M A
O L I M
M I L O
A M O R
>>
>>971054
>Nasreddin was walking in the bazaar with a large group of followers. Whatever Nasreddin did, his followers immediately copied. Every few steps Nasreddin would stop and shake his hands in the air, touch his feet and jump up yelling "Hu Hu Hu!". So his followers would also stop and do exactly the same thing.
>One of the merchants, who knew Nasreddin, quietly asked him: "What are you doing my old friend? Why are these people imitating you?"
>"I have become a Sufi Sheikh," replied Nasreddin. "These are my Murids [spiritual seekers]; I am helping them reach enlightenment!"
>"How do you know when they reach enlightenment?"
>"That’s the easy part! Every morning I count them. The ones who have left – have reached enlightenment!"

absolute madman
>>
>>970687
There's a Greek joke that goes something like:

A man goes into a barber shop and the barber asks how he'd like his hair cut. The man responds, "in silence".
>>
>>979160
>miller gets BTFO for his immoral monopoly on the means of production
>>
>>970975
Aristophanes is the godfather of modern satire. He was not only making jokes, he made monologues and satirical screenplays.
Reading today, some of his works are incredibly connected to this age
>>
File: giufà.jpg (60KB, 522x818px) Image search: [Google]
giufà.jpg
60KB, 522x818px
>>971054
thanks for the link.
Nasreddin Hodja is present, with different names, in a lot of euro mediterranean cultures: Arabs, Berbers, Gypsies, Jews, and also Sicilians.
As you may know, Sicily was an Islamic Emirate for longer than it has been italian. So the stories of Khodja Nasreddin are very present in modern Sicily. His name is Giufà.
>>
File: unsatisfied knight.png (704KB, 840x623px) Image search: [Google]
unsatisfied knight.png
704KB, 840x623px
>>971221
>>971233

There's also this fucker who looks like he's lost the will to live fighting an extra chromosonal dragon

I always assumed this tapestry was made as a joke
>>
File: pepe the starving frog.jpg (83KB, 574x323px) Image search: [Google]
pepe the starving frog.jpg
83KB, 574x323px
>>974033

Diogenes was literally pepe and Plato was Wojack
>>
>>980351
>in a lot of euro mediterranean cultures
and beyond.
He's really popular in the balkans, and as far as here in Romania.
>>
>>970975
Aristophanes is legitimately hilarious, even with only a basic understanding of context. Ive had many a good belly laugh reading his shit
>>
>>974957
who was the infamous Secundus and why was he so damn outrageous?
>>
File: 1452781955172.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1452781955172.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>979486
king of banter
>>
File: 1458575370913.jpg (67KB, 540x534px) Image search: [Google]
1458575370913.jpg
67KB, 540x534px
>>974033
Absolutely BTFO
>>
>>973329
>>973951

Here is a brilliant example of that

>One of the best examples of a translation problem is mentioned in Noel Barber’s The War of the Running Dogs – The Malayan Emergency 1948-1960, Weybright and Talley, NY, 1971. The author tells of a guerrilla ambush that caused the British commander to immediately fly to the nearest village where he harangued the collected inhabitants:

>“You’re a bunch of bastards,” shouted Templer; and Rice, who spoke Chinese, listened carefully as the translator announced without emotion: “His Excellency informs you that he knows that none of your mothers and fathers were married when you were born.”

>Templer waited, then, pointing a finger at the astonished villagers to show them who was the “Tuan,” added “You may be bastards, but you’ll find out that I can be a bigger one.” Missing the point of the threat completely, the translator said politely, “His Excellency does admit, however, that his father was also not married to his mother.”
>>
>>980351
>tfw no Nasruddin in Ireland
>>
>>980223
I was expecting the punchline to be: "Just cuck my shit up, fampai"
>>
>>980351
He's a very popular archetype, even beyond that. The Balkans have Hitar Peter, Caucasians and Central Asians also have their interpretations. I still have a book about Qaraqalpaq/Uzbek interpretation of Nasreddin who's called Omirbek.
>>
>>975004
FUCK
>>
>>980466
>13 years as a squire
>For this
>>
>>970687
Lysistrata is still performed today.

It's an entire play of nothing but dirty jokes, and mocking women for being whores.
>>
>>975170
> spider mouse
> NT
Pick one
>>
File: 1460149021476.jpg (38KB, 360x516px) Image search: [Google]
1460149021476.jpg
38KB, 360x516px
>>971035
>Kublai, i'm song dynasty
>You don't get to bring hordes
>>
File: 1460149221123.png (349KB, 544x733px) Image search: [Google]
1460149221123.png
349KB, 544x733px
>>981928
>Duce, im Fuher
>>
>>975004
REKT.
>>
File: e4ea0595dd9cb17043d37fa6ba199ccf.jpg (133KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
e4ea0595dd9cb17043d37fa6ba199ccf.jpg
133KB, 1024x512px
>>978294
>mfw rabbitscribes post a manuscript
The pope should ban you faggots.
>>
>>980525
>>981514
oh I didn't know he was present also in the steppes and in the balkans.
by the way I consider Balkans to be part of the Euromediterranean culture
>>
File: 675px-Noerdlingen_rathaus_narr.jpg (160KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
675px-Noerdlingen_rathaus_narr.jpg
160KB, 675x900px
This is the image of a fool on a southern German townhall. It says "Now we are two".
>>
>>971068
Slaves weren't legally human though (literally referred to as talking cattle) so it makes sense to me at least
>>
apparently the passion for trannies was strong not only on 4chan but also in the ROman culture. It made possible some jokes written on the walls of Pompeii:
" (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"

sauce:
http://pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm
>>
>>971054
I can't tell if Hodja is an eccentric, trickster, some really cheeky man or mad. Still, love the stories, they're cute and funny. First time I've ever heard of him.
>>
>>979486

Kek. Nice one
>>
File: 1448008645368.jpg (54KB, 345x336px) Image search: [Google]
1448008645368.jpg
54KB, 345x336px
>>981431
>>
File: 121345675432.jpg (222KB, 1280x1055px) Image search: [Google]
121345675432.jpg
222KB, 1280x1055px
>>971233
Rabbits were a force to be reckoned with.
>>
>>974134
I want to know about this.
>>
>>980351
>Sicily was an Islamic Emirate for longer than it has been italian
It wasn't though, unless you don't count a non-unified Italy
>>
>>971233
>montypython.jpg
>>
>>971243
That's probably a misinterpretation of the Androphagi race as described by Herodotus.
In Othello, Shakespeare describes a race of cannibals whose "heads do grow beneath their shoulders".
>>
>>971037
>an armor made with fur and a big horned helmet
wouldn't fuck with that guy. that's hardcore.
>>
File: index.jpg (13KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13KB, 276x183px
Some of this medieval art is so random.
>>
File: breakin 2 medieval boogaloo.jpg (458KB, 1280x945px) Image search: [Google]
breakin 2 medieval boogaloo.jpg
458KB, 1280x945px
>>984713
You just got serfed.
>>
File: 1365910145-0.jpg (46KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1365910145-0.jpg
46KB, 600x400px
>>971233
Tis a sad day when a brother Knight falls to the terrible Rabbit kin
>>
>>971221
Probably a joke at how knights are cowardly fucks who fear snails. You're a scholar, you hate these Chad-ass knights. Some of them may really be cowardly, so you amuse yourself by undermining them in scripts they'll never read.

That's what I'd do. Or I'd be the nun who drew dick trees to emphasize how easy men are to objectify as a little payback.
>>
>>974033
What he was getting at is that human creations come from other ideas. There's no truly novel idea, only concepts built on other concepts. You can't make a cup, or design a nice one, without first thinking of all other cups you've seen, unless you're really fucking creative. You wouldn't have a concept of emptiness unless you knew what it was/had it explained at some point.

But whatever, diogenes was master troll.
>>
>>984816
>>984713
>memed so hard that you start turning into snails
>>
>>984841

never try to outbalance a rabbit on a tight rope wearing your armor.
>>
>>985975
I assumed snails were a joke about knights being wrapped up in armour
>>
>>987106
I assumed it was a joke about boasting/arrogance.
>Sir Chucklefuck bravely fought a foul, voracious beast that had natural armor
>>
>>985975
This is the best like the best explanation I've seen for it and it's also pretty funny to imagine an angry monk furiously drawing snails fighting knights
>>
File: 1452132775945.jpg (64KB, 794x679px) Image search: [Google]
1452132775945.jpg
64KB, 794x679px
>>971233
>>971221

WE DARK SOULS NOW
>>
>>972324
>A curiosity hangs by the thigh of a man, under its master's cloak. It is pierced through in the front; it is stiff and hard and it has a good standing-place. When the man pulls up his own robe above his knee, he means to poke with the head of his hanging thing that familiar hole of matching length which he has often filled before. What is it?

mmm anglo saxon cock riddles
>>
File: 1429776911238.png (635KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
1429776911238.png
635KB, 432x600px
>>971221
I don't know, from this picture it seems fairly clear that the Snail is just the animal version of the Knight.

His shell is his armor and his eye stalks are his sword/lance.

The knight fights him because that's what he does, he fights other knights.

I'm going with Occam's razor here
>>
>>971221
Maybe it's a medieval joke about Chads being dumb.

>Knights are so dumb that they'll charge at anything in a shell
>>
File: 1460668734994.jpg (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1460668734994.jpg
17KB, 200x200px
>>971054
well on that same tune, i find the jokes from the bektashi order quite funny as well

>A Bektashi was a passenger in a rowing boat travelling across the Bosporus. When a storm blew up, the boatman tried to reassure him by saying "Fear not—God is great(large)!" the Bektashi replied, "Yes, God is great, but the boat is small."

>An imam was preaching about the evils of alcohol and asked "If you put a pail of water and a pail of rakı(alcohol) in front of a donkey, which one will he drink from?" A Bektashi in the congregation immediately answered. "The water!" "Indeed," said the imam, "and why is that?" Bektashi replied. "Because he's an ass."
>>
>>974711
Concentrated autism
>>
>>990450
>>974711
>Baneposting not being the pinnacle of modern humor
>>
>>985975
Well, knights were pretty high up the social ladder, probably were grossed out by things like snails due to their semi-noble upbringing, so the monks made fun of them for
>>
>>990476

>Knights
>Semi-noble upbringing.

Really depends on the period and whose knight it is.
The knight of a petty landowner in the Early Medieval period is just going to be a local thug.
>>
File: 1456157190227.jpg (17KB, 250x245px) Image search: [Google]
1456157190227.jpg
17KB, 250x245px
>>990445
10/10
>>
>>990083
Some things never change
>>
>>970975
i've read a really shitty translation of The Clouds, but I still had a lot of fun.
You can easily see a lot of the mocking applied to contemporary continental/french philosophers honestly.
>>
>>984713
>>984816
When the beat go so hard you lose your skeletal integrity
>>
>>984816
>>984713

>"my only regret is having bonitis!"
>>
>>972517

lmao
>>
>>989821
Is that Elliot being /fa/?
>>
>>975120

Yeah, if you say monkey see monkey do and peer pressure the joke works fine. They're two different things. It's an interesting joke.
>>
>>982401
The irony in it is that he's insinuating that slaves are human though, anon.
>>
>>978636

Translation by euphemism here; "femininity" is some prude's rendering of "cunnus"
>>
Not exactly a joke, but a funny tale from ancient Greece, it´s abou a guy who made his friends blindfold him, take him to any place his friends wantes and he always knew where whe was taken, he always said "Oh guys, i know we are near a tavern"... the joke is... ancients greek were very fond of wine so, there was a huge amount of taverns in ancient Athens
>>
>>971187
>>He thanks me and asks if I've seen Plato anywhere
kek
>>
File: 1376717852916.jpg (120KB, 497x640px) Image search: [Google]
1376717852916.jpg
120KB, 497x640px
>>974200
I don't get it

OH FUCK
IT'S AN ECHO
I JUST GOT IT AS I WAS SOLVING THE CAPTCHA
>>
>>986024

That is actually pretty much the exact opposite of Plato's belief. His idea wasn't that you couldn't think of something unless you had seen examples of it first. His belief was literally that everything that existed had an eternal, immaterial form.

For example, there exists no such thing as a perfect circle in reality. But we can conceive of a perfect circle. This means it exists as some immaterial form. He actually thought that this was proof of an afterlife, too, or at least proof of a non-material soul.
>>
File: 1456379203192.jpg (199KB, 636x896px) Image search: [Google]
1456379203192.jpg
199KB, 636x896px
>>
>>971221
maybe it was just a reddit tier "lol so randum XD" humor.
who knows
>>
>>996030
Supposedly it's the fight between monks/scribes against snails/rabbits for their gardens.
>>
>>996030

I remember reading a theory somewhere that the monks, who lived an isolated life and grew their own crops, might have come to view garden pests like snails as a source of great evil, and so would draw knights kicking their asses

Come to think of it, it would explain the rabbit thing too
>>
>>996030
>reddit tier
you mean 4chan tier?
>>
>>996032
>>996033
Thats a more mundane explanation for the pictures but it makes sense I guess
>>
>>971221
Snails and rabbits were monsters in monastery manuscripts because monks were subsistence farmers, you dip.
>>
File: t3[1].jpg (233KB, 724x780px) Image search: [Google]
t3[1].jpg
233KB, 724x780px
>>971054
>>
>>972324
>Her eye will be wet.
They had bukkake back then?
>>
>>974033
I think Diogenes was probably just some homeless old twat that a bunch of kids started telling tall tales about.
>>
>>975004

That story makes a lot more sense now then when i read it in mandarin.

Also, there's the last part with the feast. Let me see if I can green text it.

>yanzi and the king attend a feast
>a prisoner is being escorted by guards near-by, causing a commotion
>prisoner is from state of qi
>king explains to yanzi that the prisoner was caught stealing
>yanzi replies that people in qi are happy and content, and he is sad to hear that people in chu are reduced to stealing.
>>
>>970687
Yo mommas so old she's a joke from antiquity
>>
File: KEKSIMVS MAXIMVS.jpg (5KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
KEKSIMVS MAXIMVS.jpg
5KB, 128x128px
>>974200
KEKSIMVS MAXIMVS
>>
>>996173

Fucking lol.
>>
File: you seem upset.jpg (44KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
you seem upset.jpg
44KB, 250x250px
>>995980
>dragoned
Kek
>>
Nice thread.
>>
>Wellington had, from 1809 to the termination of the Peninsular War in both Spain, Portugal and Southern France, defeated every Marshal of France that Napoleon had sent against him. Each of these great warriors; Massena, Victor, Ney, Jourdan, Marmont and Soult entered the Iberian Peninsula with past honours heaped upon them by their Emperor, Napoleon. Each returned with their military reputations in tatters! All beaten by Wellington. It was therefore expected that they would give a somewhat cool reception to the Duke of Wellington when Louis XVIII invited him as guest of honour to a Ball in Paris. When Wellington arrived the Marshals of France whom he had so resoundingly beaten in previous campaigns turned their backs on him. A blushing Bourbon king apologised for their rudeness but the Great Duke just shrugged his shoulders and said " Tis of no matter your Highness, I have seen their backs before!"
>>
>>1004039

DELETE THIS. ITS NOT NAPPYS FAULT NONE OF HIS GENERALS WERE AS GOOD AS HIM.

the only ones who were all died!
>>
>>980466
Am I the only one who thinks these two look eerily familiar?
>>
>>973338
>(Bar of Athictus; right of the door); 8442: I screwed the barmaid
kek
>>
>>996147
Protect us, O knight, from our perilous foes
>>
File: this triggers the barrel-kin.jpg (241KB, 702x960px) Image search: [Google]
this triggers the barrel-kin.jpg
241KB, 702x960px
>>978265
This one?
>>
>>1004257
AT LEAST DIOGENES DOESN'T THINK A PLUCKED CHICKEN IS A MAN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1004039
Such gentlemanly behavior. Yet still BTFO twice.
>>
The Golden Ass is a great read if you want ancient roman humor and cult knowledge
>>
>>971254
is there an archived link?
>>
>>974200
>>974560
>>974905

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNZYOQ_tt8

starts at 00:25
>>
>>1004257
Oh no, I was thinking of the same painting as the one I posted but it had a lot of text over it.

Your pic made me kek though
>>
>>974711

Found the hothead
>>
This thread is most excellent. It should be preserved for future generations. A 4chan History of Comedy.
>>
File: 1446799227069.jpg (170KB, 401x1317px) Image search: [Google]
1446799227069.jpg
170KB, 401x1317px
>>971221
Margins
>>
>>1005711
what a bunch of moaners
>>
File: t66.jpg (222KB, 686x780px) Image search: [Google]
t66.jpg
222KB, 686x780px
>>971054
>http://u.cs.biu.ac.il/~schiff/Net/front.html

These are amazing.
>>
>>992402
fucking kekd
>>
>>1005856

Absolute madman!
>>
>>1005856
Oh hodja
>>
File: t22.jpg (219KB, 730x782px) Image search: [Google]
t22.jpg
219KB, 730x782px
>>>971054
MASTER PRANKSTER
>>
File: HOdja and the elephant.jpg (252KB, 728x770px) Image search: [Google]
HOdja and the elephant.jpg
252KB, 728x770px
The point where Hodja crossed from lovable prankster to lynching target.
>>
>>974117
shit, the scene makes sense now.
>>
>>1004039
froggies btfo
>>
File: nasreddin.jpg (47KB, 501x555px) Image search: [Google]
nasreddin.jpg
47KB, 501x555px
who would win in a fight between diogenes and nasreddin
>>
>>1009447
Comedy.
>>
>>1009447
The people watching
>>
>>971187

>he called me a heterosexual and laughed

one of the best pastas for sure
>>
File: 1366045169541.gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1366045169541.gif
2MB, 320x200px
>>990445
>but the boat is small
>>
File: millers-tale-fart-scene.png (688KB, 616x881px) Image search: [Google]
millers-tale-fart-scene.png
688KB, 616x881px
>>980236
Speaking of millers, Chaucer's The Miller's Tale from The Canterbury Tales is basically DUDE KEKOLDING LMAO.
>>
File: colon three.jpg (36KB, 305x551px) Image search: [Google]
colon three.jpg
36KB, 305x551px
>>974033
OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>979160
Hodja knows the miller is sleeping around. He is hinting that he knows the miller is putting his "grains" in other peoples "bags" as blackmail
>>
What's the one the pope said about angles and Angels?
>>
A dead girl is found outside the shtetl. Thinking the girl is Christian and fearing a pogrom, the people of the shtetl gather together to discuss what to do. Suddenly the rabbi bursts in and says "Good news! The girl was a Jew!"
>>
>>1009315
It's what they get for being little bitches and making hodja do it for them
>>
>>1009900

This isn't graphic enough. In the original story he jams the red-hot poker up the guy's anus and when he pulls it out there's a piece of skin melted onto it.
>>
File: caulk.jpg (77KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
caulk.jpg
77KB, 736x552px
>>970687
the Romans put cocks on every thing.
>>
>>980466
Medieval artists could not into perspective. That might why
>>
>>1010714
Yeah I know, I was disappointed by the tameness of this as well. In the story he kisses Alisoun right on the arsehole as well, not the cheek.
>>
>>982386

Haha I get it, a mirror
>>
Snails are armored and slow.

Knights are armored and slow.

It was just a bunch of robots making fun of the chads, the Knights.
>>
>>1010714

What's the punchline?
>>
>>1009447

Zhuangzi
>>
>>1010891

He got hurt in da butt!
>>
File: catpawprints-850x427.jpg (93KB, 850x427px) Image search: [Google]
catpawprints-850x427.jpg
93KB, 850x427px
>>1005711
>Order manuscript
>Fucking monk let his cat run all over it
>>
File: diogenes_detail.jpg (129KB, 600x644px) Image search: [Google]
diogenes_detail.jpg
129KB, 600x644px
>>1004257
>implying my barrel has a quality of barrelness to it
>>
>>996182
Ye olde bukkake
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.