[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5 LY4Mz15o >"I ne

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 14

File: why.jpg (42KB, 552x376px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
42KB, 552x376px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o

>"I need a video like this for every piece of history ever."
>"this is how this should be taught in schools"
>"What the absolute fuck where can I get more of this?"
>"This made me understand the clusterfuck of the WWI alliances better than any history teacher has"
>"Tumblr brought me here, thank You so much tumblr
>"I wish i could use this in my social studies project but you say "shit" like 10 times :("

why does everything have to be retarded for people to enjoy/understand it?
>>
>>936960
Lowest common denominator.
>>
>enjoyed it
>learned anything from it

factoids are not historically useful
it's always the whys and so forth, just because he glossed over a long period of history in 10 minutes does not mean his "students" can think critically about the subject

there is no "learning" here, only words that sounds familiar but probably could not be reused in another setting
>>
>>936960
I've noticed that /his/'s opinion on this video has drastically deteriorated over time
>>
>>936985
/his/ here
I like it, don't listen to these fags
>>
>>936985
/his/ speaking
it was always terrible
>>
>>936960
>what happened is more important than why happened

reeeeeeeeee normies reeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
Not sure why some people are getting so assmad over this video. It's not meant to be actually educative, and even then it's not that bad, it gives a decent overview of japan's history. It's pretty much the most you can expect of a 10 minute video that also has to be fun to watch.
>>
>>937015
How can you ask why if you don't know what?

t. jaden smith
>>
>>937033
this, it's supposed to be fun, not in-depth

OP is getting mad over youtube comments
>>
>>937033
>>937050
"fun, not in-depth" shit is what's causing people to be so oblivious to actual history these days.
>>
>>937033
>>937050
the problem is that people think they know Japan's history after watching it
>>
>>937096
This. I love the video but I hate that it'll make some people who watch it think that they know everything about Japanese history.
>>
>>936960

easily digestible meme history for normies who dont want to read
>>
>>937079
>>937096
>>937103
Is that the fault of the creator or the viewers? When I saw it, I got the sense that it was largely for people who were already aware of Japan's history who would find it funny (kind of like the History of Germany video with t. Otto von Bismarck).
>>
>>936960

its funny and well made and hopefully it gets kids interested in history. I guess this guys idea is that people will watch this and say "hey, I never knew how cool history could be, ILL READ MORE ABOUT IT!"

But too bad a lot will just like it mainly for the flashing lights and then stop there and go into no further detail and not even retain much of what they watched in the first place
>>
>>936960
Crash Course is a lot better.
>>
File: modernity explained.gif (738KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
modernity explained.gif
738KB, 480x270px
>>936960
>>
>>937163
Fuck yes. Who else agrees?
>>
>>937163
>Crash Course
>better than anything
>>
>>937190
And yet here we are, with the video in the OP.
>>
>>937200
It's better than Crash Course. It glosses over and simplifies, but it doesn't completely misinform. It's also much funnier.
>>
File: smug anime girl.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>937215
>implying the Manhattan project started before Pearl Harbor

Additionally, Crash Course doesn't misinform. It provides lenses. You can agree or disagree with how they portray history, but they don't fuck up the details.
>>
>>937240
>one fucked up detail
>Crash Course is full of objectively false and biased information

Yeah, no.
>>
>>937240
>but they don't fuck up the details.

>this triggers john green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLBws-4kzG8
>>
>>937240
>It provides lenses
Do you really need someone to go out and point all the outright incorrect information?
>they don't fuck up the details.
They don't even give details half the time.
>>
>>937251
Name some objectively incorrect facts then.
>>
File: nigga please.jpg (114KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nigga please.jpg
114KB, 1200x1200px
>>937264

>alexander the great video

>"how come women are never known as great in history? its because of sexism!"

This is something he actually said.
>>
>>937264
>The Romans executed Jesus solely because he was a threat to their power, the Jews weren't a factor
>Women in the Caliphate had lots of rights, compared to Byzantium where they had no rights
>The Mongols are different than every other steppe people because "reasons"
>There were no slaves in the Persian Empire, and the idea of the polis was a fraud
>>
>>937273
No, a screwed up detail, not a perspective you disagree with.
>>
>>937277
>The Mongols are different than every other steppe people because "reasons"
When did they say or imply that?
>>
>>937281
>No, a screwed up detail

claiming no women are known as great when Catherine the Great exist is a screwed up detail. Its not a matter of agree or disagree.

John is a fucking dope who puts his faggy politically correct beliefs in front of actual history.
>>
>>937281
>women are never called great in history is just a perspective
Catherine the Great, Elizabeth Gloriana, I could keep going but it's not worth it.
>>937284
That's their whole running joke/shtick. It's cringy, annoying and plain wrong.
>>
>>937292
Crash Course definitely has "muh sexism" throughout, but you are arguing against your own wording here, not the wording of John Green. The dude never said "no woman has ever been in a position of authority before". Most of the shit he says is general as hell so as not to say anything concretely incorrect.
>>
>>937293
>It's cringy, annoying and plain wrong.
Nah, it's good. I like running jokes.
>>
>>937306
As a running joke, it's not that bad, but it's factually incorrect and is treated as fact.

Which is the problem with Crash Course. The politics and the jokes take precedence over the history.
>>
>>937240
>>937264
>https://youtu.be/Q-mkVSasZIM?t=5m14s
>can't even put Athens on the right place on the map
This is just the one error /lit/ picked up a while ago, he's since put up an annotation but that's no excuse for basic fucking research.
>>
>>937313
>it's factually incorrect and is treated as fact.
I don't see it as such.

Overall, I like Crash Course World History because it paints a memorable narrative and together as a series it provides a decent overview of world history for the layman into which more facts can be fit into later.
>>
>>937325
Someone should probably tell the dude who made the video in the OP to put in an annotation about the Manhattan Project error.
>>
I've never seen Crash Course's history videos but based on the the science videos he makes this guy is a fucking tool
>>
>>937325
The first thirty seconds of this video tells me straight away that grave of a hoplite just trying to defend his polis is going to pissed on for eleven minutes straight.
>>
>>936960
because people have low attention spans for things that aren't their passion

and the video itself is fun, I don't see why you have such a big problem with it

if they think they know japanese history just be an asshole and ask them a direct in depth question to shut them up
>>
>>937328
>This is obviously the case but I'm going to call it an opinion

Apparently everything is an opinion to you.
>>
>>937342
John Green does the history videos. Hank Green does the science videos. Hank Green isn't a tool. There is an argument for John being a tool.
>>
>>937350
What? The Mongol thing is a joke. They never say the Mongols are different than every other group of steppe nomads beyond the obvious fact that only one group of steppe nomads formed the Mongol Empire(s).
>>
>>937240
>>937264
>https://youtu.be/Q78COTwT7nE?t=5m23s
>"no one conquers Russia in the winter time, unless you are, wait for it, the mongols"
Mongols never conquered Russia. They conquered the Kievan Rus. Basic knowledge of history will tell you this. The word Russia didn't even exist until the 17th century.
>>
>>937377
>The word Russia didn't even exist until the 17th century.
No duh. They did a video on the Mongols and the Kievian Rus. There was no confusion about that.
>>
>>937387
The statement he made in the video was literally incorrect. You can't argue it any other way. It makes it even worse considering he fucking knows it's flat out wrong. Oh and in that Kievan Rus video he decides to just say fuck it to logic and compare modern Russian and modern Swedish to determine that clearly the vikings never settled in Russia
>>
>>937405
It depends on what is meant by Russia. The Golden Horde conquered parts of what is modern day Russia. This isn't hard to wrap one's head around, anon. I'd tell you to learn to read between the lines but this is simpler than subtext. Just don't take every single word completely literally when you know full well you aren't supposed to.

>Oh and in that Kievan Rus video he decides to just say fuck it to logic and compare modern Russian and modern Swedish to determine that clearly the vikings never settled in Russia
He pointed out the difference in language. Do you simply find the topic interesting and wish he dwelt more on it?
>>
>>937411
Even using Russia as a geographic term is incorrect, as the Kievan Rus extends into Slovakia, Belarus, and Moldovia. It's a wrong statement, no matter how much you twist it. It's a prime example of why Crash Course is shit, sacrifice information for jokes because he isn't funny and can't make jokes that remain accurate. It's a crash course, why is he sacrificing on information? The whole point of a crash course is condensed information. I had to watch this shit in high school and it did me no good because of exactly this reason, I ended up using college lectures and actual books.

And the person I replied to said he doesn't fuck up on the details, of course I'm being pedantic
>He pointed out the difference in language
Which he used to conclude that the Kievan Rus didn't descend from the Vikings. Even if he's correct, he hasn't proven shit and probably just confused a load of his audience.
>>
>>937424
I didn't see it as the least bit confusing. He just put doubt on the idea that vikings were the founders of the Kievian Rus. It seems very simple to me.

I disagree with your opinion of Crash Course. I think it does a good job hooking layman in, providing a narrative that sticks,focussing on supplementing the usual stuff that is covered in primary school, and having the brevity to cover all human history in a reasonable amount of time.
>>
>>937442
>He just put doubt on the idea that vikings were the founders of the Kievian Rus
There are many better ways to illustrate this. Using modern language comparisons is not a good one. That's all I'm really trying to say

For the layman who doesn't care all too much and just wants to sate a small question, crash course is fine and I really don't give a shit, but he has no reason to be brought here and claiming "they don't fuck up the details" is hilariously wrong, because they do. That's the only point I'm really trying to make here. My diatribe on what a crash course is, is just a personal grievance.
>>
>>937460
Well then I agree with you.
>>
Girl I know showed this to me. I told her the japs did not surrender from the two bombs alone but from the fact that Russia was about to wreck their shit.

She asked me if I could ever just enjoy anything.
>>
>>937486
Tell her that you DO enjoy things. You simply enjoy knowledge.

Also I'm not convinced Russia's entrance into the East Asian theater was that big of a deal. Japan was planning on surrendering. The hindrances to that surrender were internal.
>>
>>936985

Same

It depends how you're using it. I used it as a very skeletal base to understand the rough history of japan, something I haven't really explored yet. That's about the extent of its use. Entertaining in its own right
>>
File: 1443987870248.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1443987870248.webm
2MB, 640x360px
It's normal to experience a seizure during this video, right?
>>
>>937015
>implying whys can be objectively determined
>>
>>937523
idk but that webm made me start having convulsions
>>
>>937523
this is my trigger, please use spoilers next time
>>
>>937523
>>937535
>>937543
Get out more.
>>
>>936960
No, but it's fun.
>>
>>937548
thanks for that well examined amd explained insight faggot
>>
File: HIS.png (9KB, 509x151px) Image search: [Google]
HIS.png
9KB, 509x151px
>>936985
It's fun for people who don't walk away expecting that they've actually learned the history of Japan. I still like it and I like most things that manage to entertain and perhaps draw people into more serious study without relying on distortion of facts or incorrect popular notions.
>>
>>937548
is there something I can do outside other than the things Chads and Stacies do
>>
>>937079
Despite what it might look like, people are probably more informed now than at any point in history.
>>
File: krum[2].jpg (71KB, 489x342px) Image search: [Google]
krum[2].jpg
71KB, 489x342px
>>936960
This was a funny video, I liked it. Thanks for sharing, OP.
>>
>>937673
LARPing, HEMA, and battlefield recreation.
>>
>>936960
I actually enjoyed this video. It's kind of a cheeky look at a brief history of Japan without going super in-depth. No matter what you have to say about it, it's still better than that hack John Green.
>>
>>937240
>blatantly fuck up the year Kievan Rus Christianized
>don't fuck up the details
Pick one and only one
>>
>>937673
You can buy a rifle and hunt stray dogs, and make trophies of their heads to hang on your bike.
>>
>>937079
please people where just as oblivious 50 years ago.
>>
It uses history as another median to entertain. Nothing wrong with that. It's like being upset about 300 aka autism
>>
>>937240
>lenses

Example is them blaming Jesus crucifixion entirely on the Romans despite the only source of the event saying it was a mob of Jews threatening to riot if Jesus wasn't killed.
>>
>>936985
never seen it before but it was pretty fuck so tell them to fuck off
>>
>>936985
>>937014
You guys only have an entry level understanding of finance, computer science, biology, et cetera
>>
To each his own, but I won't listen to a guy that speaks to the audience as if we were retarded.
>>
>>937868
>Jews demand Romans kill Jesus
>Romans kill Jesus
So technically, Mr. Green was right. A horrible revisionist way of depicting the event meant only to ease relations between religions in modern times, but still technically true.

Also wasn't the Jewish authority there a puppet of the Romans?
>>
File: The Army of Herod the Great-15.jpg (136KB, 518x724px) Image search: [Google]
The Army of Herod the Great-15.jpg
136KB, 518x724px
>>938846
Puppet =/= Full control.

There was a Jewish army for one thing. The Jews were """""""""""allies""""""""""" versus the Seleucids...who were long gone by this point.

In some ways the revolt of the jews was a godsend for the Romans as finally, they can quit with the meme semi-independence and control the place thoroughly.
>>
>>938865
Interdasting kit on the Jewish Soldier. Seems like cunts were copying Romans.

Also Sauce?
>>
>>936960
>knock knock
>it's the united states
>with huge boats
>with guns
>(gun boats)
>open the country
>stop having it be closed

it's meant to be funny, not educational
>>
File: The Army of Herod the Great-16.jpg (125KB, 516x722px) Image search: [Google]
The Army of Herod the Great-16.jpg
125KB, 516x722px
>>938889
>Copying Romans
Copying Galatians. Who were Celts who migrated from the Balkans, raided Macedonia a bit, and found themselves in Anatolia.

Impressed the shit out of everyone during the wars between Ptolemy and Seleucids, where they fought on both sides where they fought as Mercs.

Generally everyone in the Middle East was copying Hellenic or Persian Remnant gear. Hence Herod is in a Greek Armor and Zamaris in "Assyrian" one.

But Celts were pride of place in the infantry and were hired as Royal Bodyguards. Later on, the locals just copied the equipment and Jewish Royal Guards walked around the palace in Celtic armor.

Sauce is Osprey, but Osprey's sauce are the findings found in the Herodion - Herod's Palace- where his soldiers are depicted wearing a kitbash of Greek, Celtic, Eastern Weapons & Armor.
>>
File: LIfq5NV.jpg (48KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
LIfq5NV.jpg
48KB, 480x270px
>>937325
>teaches history and gets paid $29,079 a month
>can't even put Athens on the right place on the map
>he can't place the birthplace of western civilization
>>
>I-it wasn't even supposed to be informative in the first place!

Then stop pretending to be
>>
>>937486

>le Russia stronk!

Absolutely the worst meme in history.
>>
File: cia his1.jpg (871KB, 1370x1199px) Image search: [Google]
cia his1.jpg
871KB, 1370x1199px
>>936985
/tv/ here
I dunno I'm only here for historic baneposting
>>
>>938943
me too
>>
>>938943
>>938944

THE FIRE RISES, BROTHERS!
>>
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14KB, 300x358px
the artificial method of learning is to hear what other people say, to learn and to read, and so to get your head crammed full of general ideas before you have any sort of extended acquaintance with the world as it is, and as you may see it for yourself. You will be told that the particular observations which go to make these general ideas will come to you later on in the course of experience; but until that time arrives, you apply your general ideas wrongly, you judge men and things from a wrong standpoint, you see them in a wrong light, and treat them in a wrong way.
>>
>>936985
The more popular something gets, the more people hate it
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 186x271px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 186x271px
Howdy Germanic servants. Check it out! Am made of gold!

t. Charlemagne
>>
>>937707
>hunt stray dogs
>use a rifle

way to take the fun out of it
>>
>>940802

t. Charliemagknee
>>
>>936960
>7:21
>'And they did some rapes!'
Fucking seriously?
>>
>>940973
Was the video meant to be an actual historical lesson? Autist
>>
>>937377
Should also point out that Hitler invaded in the middle of summer. Honestly, the whole "Russian winter" thing is a meme. General Mud is a lot more detrimental to invaders than General Snow.
>>
File: 81w21Q8IsiL.jpg (345KB, 1359x2120px) Image search: [Google]
81w21Q8IsiL.jpg
345KB, 1359x2120px
>>941070

this first sentence in this book is literally about what a nice summer day it was
>>
>>941087
Actually, in books I have read and documentaries I have seen, the coming of winter was a great relief to the German command, because the mud from the rains froze and became hard enough for trucks and tanks to move again.

Of course, the real reason Barbarossa failed was because the Germans greatly overestimated the time it would take for the Soviets to recover from their initial losses.
>>
>>941114
That plus fall coming early. The early rains really fucked with the invasion plans.
>>
>>936985
It's funny. Just that, it's funny. If you're going to learn anything from this it's that autism is a very real disease.
>>
>>941114
>because the mud from the rains froze and became hard enough for trucks and tanks to move again
Yup. Operations were generally interrupted each year on either end of Winter for a couple weeks of the "muddy season."

Winter itself wasn't exactly all that great either, though. Once winter set in during 1941, the Luftwaffe was effectively grounded for a while because they didn't have the training or equipment to keep planes flying in extreme cold like the VVS did.
>>
>>941125
That as well. Some of the pictures and videos of what happened to the roadways are insane.
>>
>>940848
It is amazing, indeed. Gold is a valuable commodity, and I have no choice but to submit to my servile instincts and become your vassal.

I totally didn't have any plans for world relevance, by the way.
>>
I think shit like this is fine as long as nobody's trying to cite it for their masters thesis or something.

Face it - the average person doesn't give a shit about history beyond 'wow thats interesting ;)'. They don't consider it relevant to their daily lives, it's merely entertainment.
So history summarized in an entertaining way is what they like. Something with a lot of breadth that gives them a really basic understanding, because most people couldn't give less of a shit about the nuances. Nobody has enough time in their life to devote proper diligence to every pursuit. If this kinda stuff gets a few hundred highschoolers going "that was really cool I want to know more" it's doing its job.
>>
>>937123
Sauce?
>>
>>941296
I hate to say it, but this

It was the dumb video game and book crap that got me really interested in this. I think it began with Age of Mythology and Percy Jackson and the Olympians when I was a kid. They got me hooked on mythology, which expanded into my RPG monsters, which got me interested in their militaries and civilizations, and before I know it I'm studying linguistic anthropology.

Things like John Greens Alexander the Great video are inexcusable, but a fun lesson is good.
>>
>>941866
playing the first 2 call of duty games is what got me into WW2 tbhfam

And I dont think I would be able to recognize the weapons of the time without those games
>>
>>936973
This
>>
>>941899
Yeah ut there's absolutely nothing wrong with the first two CoDs. It's the rest of them, and stuff like Crash Course, and anything that was made after I was 12 that is bad.
>>
>>941866
>Things like John Greens Alexander the Great video are inexcusable, but a fun lesson is good.

His Alexander the Great video was among his better works.
>>
>>936960
This is not meant to be used as an educational resource. It is simply a funny video because it just dumps information on you with little to no context in a way that is humorous.
>>
>>941966
Most westerners will crucify you if you don't hold ancient Greece or their husbando Alexander in the highest respect.
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.