[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the main reasons for the demise of the Norse on Greenland?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: ruins-of-Hvalsey-Church.jpg (450KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
ruins-of-Hvalsey-Church.jpg
450KB, 1280x853px
What were the main reasons for the demise of the Norse on Greenland? Is there currently a consensus among historians?
>>
>>924035
Wasn't there something like a little ice age that drove them out?
>>
>>924035

The Inuits come and wipe out a population already under severe stress from changing climate.
>>
Shit was cold bruh

Aint no trees or shit

Native Americans are genocidal pricks
>>
Norse and Dorset pal around on Greenland, shit gets cold, times get hard.

Inuit show up, murder every last Dorset and Norseman.
>>
>>924046
>>924096

Why couldn't the Norse resist? They had used fishing and hunting to supplement their diet in all those years so why haven't they been able to switch to it when the climate got worse?
>>
>>924154
What kind of question is this?
They couldn't live off of hunting and fishing, because Greenland is a shithole, and they could't resist because they were allready struggling to survive even without T*rk-tier inuit
>>
>>924179
>They couldn't live off of hunting and fishing, because Greenland is a shithole,
But the Inuit could
>>
>>924035
Wait, who are the current inhabitants of Greenland if not the descendants of the Norse?
>>
>>924628
Inuits and Danes you utterly ignorant fool.
>>
>>924674
>Danes

Norse
>>
>>924628
Greenland is something like...

70% Inuit,
20% mixed Inuit/Scandinavian
10% Scandinavian
>>
>>924625
From what I understood from a Viking class I took as an elective once, Greenland Norsemen had gone full European.
Like, European dress was the standard, and while they obviously had some flexibility, it wasn't enough.
Inuit going full native on a small group of men who where slowly losing the ability to nourish themselves whilst being unable to deal with the harsh climate sounds like a rough deal to me.

It always confused me though, if Iceland had contact with Greenland until like the late 14th-early 15th century, why does the Kingdom of Denmark suddenly not give a shit about their colony when it disappears?
>>
>>924035
They didn't assimilate to the native's way of life oddly enough
>>
>>924962
did Columbus know about Vinland?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinland
>>
>>924980
I highly doubt that, I thought he proposed travelling the Atlantic because he thought the world was a lot smaller then the people at the time thought. He was wrong, but was lucky enough to have a enormous landmass between him and India so he didn't die in the middle of the ocean.
Granted, Columbus isn't my forte.
>>
>>924991
Columbus shoulda googled it, haha.
>>
File: Arctic cultures 900-1500.png (251KB, 259x989px) Image search: [Google]
Arctic cultures 900-1500.png
251KB, 259x989px
The Thule were ice mongols
>>
>>924962

Is it consensus that the Inuit basically killed them off? I read in a German magazine that some believe that they re-migrated to Iceland and Norway. Apparently the Norse didn't leave many valueables behind, which is interpreted by the author as an ordely evacution. (I guess they also might have been stolen by the Inuit, tho). The article also says that they had generally adapted to the climate change very well by switching to fishing and hunting. However, European merchants weren't interested to trade with them anymore so the Greenlanders lost their source of wood and iron.
>>
>>925126
I don't think its a consensus really, as far as I know the colony just fell off the face of the earth. I could understand Denmark not taking interest in a frigid and hostile island, but you'd think they'd have recorded their decision to not go back.
And yeah, the wood and iron thing was interesting, because there's a theory that they where still accessing Canada all the time for materials (which was closer then Europe).
I can't remember if it got debunked or not, but supposedly there's been findings of tools in North America. If that actually happened, it would seem like they had been sitting on a goldmine of discovery and never knew about it.
>>
>>924035

The colonies starved. At some point during colonization crops started failing and this led to people abandoning the colonies and returning to Iceland.

I believe the reason is because there was a cooling that occurred and this spurred colder temperatures thus eliminating agriculture.

Because Norse culture was based on animal husbandry and agriculture they were obviously unable to sustain themselves unlike the Inuits.
>>
File: cover.jpg (43KB, 326x499px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
43KB, 326x499px
>>926983
if you actually care or are interested in the colonies in North America/Greenland this book is the authority on it. It's excellent. It contains a bunch of sagas about it and comes with detailed maps explaining the settlement.

I would highly recommend it to anyone interested.

t. anon with a degree in scandinavian studies
>>
>>924035
They showed up, originally during the Medieval Warm Period, then they all died or left when that ended.
>>
>>925040
Its so weird that, via iceland, Europe was so close to north america.

I mean, there could have been so much more contact before Columbus, but there wasn't.
>>
>>926983
This. They also refused to change to a moar robust hunter fishing lifestyle.
>>
I read somewhere that there might have been a taboo on eating fish among the Greenlandic norse, based on that only 2-3% or something of bones from trash pit were fish bones, and that this might have lead them to starvation with the small ice age. Sounds kind of wierd though.
>>
>>924096
There's no evidence at all of mass killing. The Dorset were probably dead by the time the Norse arrived.

The Inuit and the Norse competed for resources, and a changing climate caused the Greenlanders to go to Iceland. Some Greenlanders assimilated into Inuit society, suggested by Inuit genetics.
>>
>>924691
There's a slightly discontinuity. The Norse settlers who arrived around 1000 were gone by 1500. In the 18th century, the kingdom of Denmark recaptured Greenland, finding no evidence of Norse settlement.
>>
>>927496
Ice makes navigation tough
>>
>924090
>Native Americans are genocidal pricks

Hurts doesn't it, white man?
>>
>>927854
I think the percentage of seal and fish bones in the trash piles increased from 20% at the beginning to 80% at the end of the colony. I'm on my phone now so I won't bother finding the source, sry
>>
>>928424
>Some Greenlanders assimilated into Inuit society, suggested by Inuit genetics.
You mean the Inuit kidnapped some of their women and raped them into marriage
>>
>>924991
>I highly doubt that, I thought he proposed travelling the Atlantic because he thought the world was a lot smaller then the people at the time thought. He was wrong, but was lucky enough to have a enormous landmass between him and India so he didn't die in the middle of the ocean.
>Granted, Columbus isn't my forte.
This is my understanding. Didn't major in history at all but the prof in one of my relevant history classes really tried to drive this point home.
>>
It was the mini ice age. They couldnt keep growing their crops.
>>
>>928700
Nah, it's patrilineal
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.