[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>According to the most prevalent theory, the name Rus',

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12

File: rus'.jpg (2MB, 3425x2418px) Image search: [Google]
rus'.jpg
2MB, 3425x2418px
>According to the most prevalent theory, the name Rus', like the Finnish name for Sweden (Ruotsi), is derived from an Old Norse term for "the men who row"
>theory

that's very fucking convincing I can totally believe Rus' were scandinavians now just look at how scandinavian Russians look like
>>
What are you talking about
>>
>>910519
there is not a single fucking proof that Rus' were scandinavian yet every tard here claims they were
>>
>>910530

Are you serious?
>>
>>910556
yes show me any proof that they were in any way related to scandinavians especially when Russians themselves claim Rus' had fuck all to do with swedish
>>
>>910530
So they just happen to gain the name Rus at the same time as the Norse invasion of Russia?

Also, there are a lot of sources documenting it. The Arab ones are the most reliable.
>>
>>910566
>Norse invasion

oh first it was ''Slavs invited them to govern them'' and now suddenly it's an invasion huh? And of course the fact that the Normanist theory was invented by a German guy surely means it must be true
>>
>>910565

>especially when Russians themselves claim Rus' had fuck all to do with swedish

What do they claim then?
>>
>>910578
>Russian scholars have rejected The Russian Primary Chronicle as unreliable and have insisted that the eastern Slavs, before the entry of the Varangians, had evolved a sophisticated feudal state comparable to the Carolingian empire in the West. The Rus were simply a southern Slavic tribe living on the Ros River.
>>
>>910565

>"A person from Roslagen is called "Rospigg" which means "inhabitant of Ros". Swedes from the Roslagen area, that is "the people of Ros", gave name to the Rus' people and through that to the state of Russia (see Rus' (name)).[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagen

Russians are actually Stockholmers.
>>
>>910599
Genghis Khan was a Stockholmer as well.
>>
There was a thread yesterday that delved into this exact topic immediately and an anon dumped good information on it. Can't find it on archives though so it must have gotten deleted.
>>
>that pic
>White beard: "What's up?"
>>
for people in this thread who want to laugh, here's the same faggot OP getting destroyed in another of his threads>>910717
>>
>>910623
>Slavs spoke Old Norse before Christianity
>Slavic is a constructed language based on "Glagolitic" the Christians made to wipe out Old Norse
>good information
No, anon, no.
>>
>>910585
> insisted that the eastern Slavs, before the entry of the Varangians, had evolved a sophisticated feudal state comparable to the Carolingian empire

Of course the fucking Russians are gonna say that they originate from some type of sophisticated empire like state, they are beyond delusional, they used to say they were the "Third Rome"
>>
>>910750
we should believe a german guy who claims ruskies fucking asked others to rule them over that's much more believable
>>
>>910771
What? No I don't believe that, I believe that the norse settled there of their own accord
>>
>>910575
>anti-Normanists

WE WUZ KHAGANS 'N SHIT
>>
Are you fucking kidding me? Norse was the official language in novgorod until the 12th century. This is well documented
>>
>>911359
>well doccumented
>source:my ass
>>
>>910506
>implying the origins of words has anything to do with the ethnicity of the people who speak the language
>>
>>910605
Youre thinking of helsinki.
>>
File: 850ad1452410592872.jpg (718KB, 1600x1155px) Image search: [Google]
850ad1452410592872.jpg
718KB, 1600x1155px
>>910778
> I believe that the norse settled there of their own accord

The Norse didn’t “settle” there, the small numbers of Norse traders were quickly absorbed and assimilated by the overwhelmingly Slave population who they traded with.

The authority of these Norse traders didn’t extend beyond a bow shot from the walls of their trading posts.

The idea that glorious Vikings brought civilization to and ruled over the knuckle-dragging near-Stone Age Slavs, is such ridiculously obvious German propaganda I'm surprised anybody other then Stormkiddies still believe it.
>>
>>914488
Slav not Slave you fucking imbecile.
>>
>>910506
You're an idiot. There is copious amounts of evidence that Rus' were Scandinavians. Doesn't mean that Russians = rus, just means that the ruling class used to be scandinavian
>>
File: alexander godunov.jpg (311KB, 685x1024px) Image search: [Google]
alexander godunov.jpg
311KB, 685x1024px
>look at how scandinavian Russians look like

Many in fact do.
>>
>>914519
>copious amounts of evidence

except there is no archeological evidence for large norse population to begin with much less for all Rus being scandinavian not to mention the name Rus predates Norse invasion
>>
>>914527
>for all Rus

Nobody claims that all of rus was inhabited by Scandinavians, dumbass. They were a relatively small group of settlers that became the ruling class and quickly assimilated to the local culture and population, similar to Normans in england
>>
>>914538
I'm still yet to see this copious amount of evidence. Present it.
>>
you smelly fucking pole, why didn't the mods delete this thread after you got BTFO yesterday?
>>
File: kiril.jpg (370KB, 1280x821px) Image search: [Google]
kiril.jpg
370KB, 1280x821px
>just look at how scandinavian Russians look like
>>
Haven't started reading yet but I'm gonna guess that this thread is 60% WE WUZ VIKINGZ N SHIIIIET, Ivan

Glorious russia was 100% slavic in origin
>>
File: dementieva.jpg (612KB, 1995x2720px) Image search: [Google]
dementieva.jpg
612KB, 1995x2720px
>look at how scandinavian Russians look like
>>
Rurik was finnish so it was Finns who started Russian state if anything.
>>914552
>swedish barbie doll throws womanly temper tantrum

color me surprised
>>
>just look at how scandinavian Russians look like
>>
File: constantine XI.jpg (200KB, 500x699px) Image search: [Google]
constantine XI.jpg
200KB, 500x699px
>>914573
answer my questions from your previous thread that is also still up then Igor>>910708
>>
> At the beginning of an important speech in 1749, Müller declared that the "glorious Scandinavians conquered all the Russian lands with their victorious arms". This statement caused much anger in the hearts of his Russian audience, and earned him much animosity during his professional career in Russia.

haha

he seems like a totally unbiased man
>>
>>914542
http://www.academia.edu/6751637/From_Sweden_to_Russia_Staraya_Ladoga_and_the_role_of_Vikings_in_establishment_of_the_Russian_State
>>
>>914595
>make a correct statement that makes slavbabies look bad
>slavbabies get upset
>>
>>914603
>one book by literally who
>more important than historians still arguing over the issue

sure thing
>>
>>914604
I don't know seems pretty contradictory first he claimed ruskies invited scandis to rule them over then he says they conquered it the story has more plot holes than Marvel movies.
>>
>>914618
it was neither though, and he clearly says "conquered the Russian lands", not peoples

the Scandis settled in the area and the natives gathered around their garths which developed into principalities like Kiev and Novgorod
so he was correct
>>
>>914613
It's an academic article containing the latest research on the subject. You refuse to accept it because it's not in line with your Soviet era pan Slavic ideology. Considering you replied so quickly, I can tell you didn't even read the article, but it provides COPIOUS amounts of archaeological and literary evidence that proves the rus' were scandinavian.
>>
>>914640
so you're saying a German guy from 18th century who intentionally pissed off his audience is a more reliable source of information than russians themselves?
>>
>>914647
>behold; my non-existant argument.
>>
>>914628
>''conquered the Russian lands'', not peoples

so I guess when people say Napoleon conquered quite a bit of land it actually meant he was selling shoes good to know
>>
>>910506

Scandinavian male adults have a central somatotype; that is, the mesomorph, ectomorph and endomorph components have more or less the same proportion in the average somatotype of adult Scandinavian males. Adult male Slavs, on the other hand, tend to be clearly mesomorph-endomorph.
>>
I feel like some DNA testing could put this to rest rather quickly.
>>
>>914628
>with their victorious arms

he clearly implies it was by force
>>
>>914613
The article was written 3 years ago you fucking tard. There is literally a ridiculous amount of physical and primary literary evidence that proves you wrong. The only people that believe in your type of bullshit are pan Slavic ideologues. It's actually pretty pathetic that you people refuse all evidence just based on 'muh heritage'
>>
>>914666
Meant for >>914647
>>
>>914660
>>914653
you'd have to chase away quite a few of the native steppe slavs in order to establish those states
>>
>>914655

see

>>914587
>>914560
>>914553
>>914524
>>
Excellent thread my niggers. I learned fuck all.
>>
>>914679
short version:

>russia was founded by vikings
>some psuedo-slav in the thread gets really upset and butthurt over this for some reason and denies it
>overwhelming evidence is posted
>tumbleweeds roll by
>>
>>914672
>The tributaries of the Varangians drove them back beyond the sea and, refusing them further tribute, set out to govern themselves. There was no law among them, but tribe rose against tribe. Discord thus ensued among them, and they began to war one against another. They said to themselves, "Let us seek a prince who may rule over us, and judge us according to the law." They accordingly went overseas to the Varangian Rus: these particular Varangians were known as Rus, just as some are called Swedes, and others Normans, Angles, and Goths, for they were thus named. The Chuds, the Slavs, and the Krivichians then said to the people of Rus, "Our whole land is great and rich, but there is no order in it. Come to rule and reign over us."

so they chased them away, then the came back and chase Slavs away and then they made trading posts despite the fact that apparently Slavs asked them to rule over them?

Makes sense.
>>
>>914656
NO

We need to use weird 19th century pseudoscience
>>
>>914684
Russia was founded by Ivan the terrible or Peter the Great, depending on whether we're talking about tsardom or empire.

Kievan Rus =/= Russia
>>
>>914697
that isn't true though

>glorious Scandinavians conquered all the Russian lands with their victorious arms
this is

the fact that he contradicts himself later on with the former is irrelevant, the Varangians came and established trade posts while raiding the native slav lands for slaves to sell to their neighbors
>>
>>914712
>the fact that the man who came up with this theory contradicted himself is irrelevant

That's some interesting mental gymnastics.
>>
>>914720
>guy says 2 + 2 = 5
>same guy says the sky is blue
>2 + 2 = 5 is incorrect therefore sky can't be blue
>>
>>914720
mental gymnastics? my statement was nothing if not blunt and to the point, learn English, Pitor
>>
Where did this stupid notion that Russians are Slavs came from? Just because they speak a Slavonic language? You don't call Jamaicans Anglos just because they speak a dialect of English.
>>
>>914733
What was the indiginous population in Russia before Norsemen came then? They were Slavs.
>>
>>914733
From Russia. Besides Slav is a linguistic group to begin with.
>>
File: tribes europe.png (164KB, 610x622px) Image search: [Google]
tribes europe.png
164KB, 610x622px
>>914745
Actually, nope. They were Finns.
>>
HOL' UP

*beats his girlfriend*

SO YOU BE SAYIN'

*irons his ADIDAS tracksuit*

SO HOL' UP U BE SAYIN'

*bribes the cop*

HOL' UP SO U BE SAYIN'

*gets sent to gulag*

WE WUZ VIKINGZ 'N SHIET?
>>
>>914733
Slavic is a linguistic group, not an ethnicity. For example, Czechs are a lot closer to Germans ethnically speaking than they are to russians
>>
>>914761
ah glorious ancient finnish empire

praise Spurdo & Tengri
>>
>>914769
>not beating your girlfriend

C U C K
U
C
K
>>
>>910566
>>910575
Probably a little of both. One group of slavs asked the vikings who they had been trading with for years to help them against another tribe.
>>
>>914771
Yes, but what defines an ethnic group? Blood or culture?
>>
>>910566
There was no invasion, they invited them in.
>>
>>914771
Czechs are mutts, ethnically, linguistically and culturally. They are a mixture of Slavs, Germans, and Celts at the very least, with probably some Magyar and others mixed in.
>>
File: Truth (26).jpg (79KB, 520x750px) Image search: [Google]
Truth (26).jpg
79KB, 520x750px
>>914771
> Czechs are a lot closer to Germans ethnically
What next? Hungarians are actually closer to Czech than to Finns? Nice fairy tales you got here. Could you prove your statement?
>>
>>914797
Name a single ethnicity in Eastern Europe that isn't a bunch of mutts.
>>
File: Genetic Map of Europe.png (1001KB, 1027x834px) Image search: [Google]
Genetic Map of Europe.png
1001KB, 1027x834px
>>914798
>Hungarians are actually closer to Czech than to Finns?

Of course they are. Are you being sarcastic right now?
>>
Vikings were faggots xDD
>>
>>914794
Genetics. Don't tell me you're one of those fags that thinks an Indian or whatever can immigrate to say England and become ethnically English
>>
>>914818
Going by this >>914825 the welsh.
>>
>>915175

Actually by that chart, the Spanish are equal to the welsh in being least mutt, along with Ireland.
>>
Apparently the entire primary chronicle is a lie then.
>>
The ruthenians were nordic. Kievan Rus were eastern germanics, no rational person would actually be retarded enough to dispute this desu.
>>
>>916367
They were Slavic. The vikings that founded the Kievan polity were a minority and went native quickly.
>>
>>914488
>magyar looks whiter than the slav
>>
>>915250
the 19th century memes were true
>>
Wait, so is it Russians ITT who are upset at the idea of Scandinavian heritage, or /pol/acks upset at the idea of Slavs having "muh glorious Aryan Scandinavian blood" who are upset?

I just don't get why people are getting so mad about this topic.
>>
>>914837
Ethnicity is not genetic you retard, race is genetic.

Yes an Indian can be ethnically English but he can never be racially english.
>>
>>916521
People are mad for retards who trying to twist real historical truth.
>>
>>916546
What's the truth in this instance?
>>
>>916528
Considering ethnicity involves common ancestry, and in Britain 'ethnic' connotes 'race', no. An Indian can be British but never English.
>>
>>910506
They were united under the descendants of Norsemen. It's not like they were Normans and they migrated en masse to Russia.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.