[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on horrible histories /his/? The book,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: the incredible inca.jpg (141KB, 356x550px) Image search: [Google]
the incredible inca.jpg
141KB, 356x550px
What's your opinion on horrible histories /his/? The book, not the crappy tv show.
>>
>>89309
This book specifically or the series as a whole? Series as a whole was nice, and this book was pretty interesting. Actually said "You may feel sorry for the Incas and the Aztecs being conquered by invaders, but how do you think THEY became empires? THEY CONQUERED AND INVADED!" instead of saying "WAAAA POOR NATIVE AMERICANS WHITE PEOPLE ARE SUCH BULLIES!"
Terry Deary's a pretty nice writer, and Mark Brown's illustrations are ok, if a bit simplistic.
>>
>>89309
great for the kids, and those who can't be bothered reading a big dense history book.
>>
>>89361
I feel like it can be good for casual reading as well. I like sitting down in a restaurant while eating a nice meal and reading about toad eaters and victorian era begging, involving eating rotten bread. Really works up an appetite.
>>
I fucking loved them as a kid
>>
>>89339
Interesting. I won't feel bad about French Jews being murdered by the nazis. After all, they were part of France, and France had a pretty nasty history of colonialism. They deserved it for being in the wrong country.
>>
File: e2f.jpg (34KB, 464x656px) Image search: [Google]
e2f.jpg
34KB, 464x656px
>I'm not a historian, and I wouldn't want to be. I want to change the world. Attack the elite. Overturn the hierarchy. Look at my stories and you'll notice that the villains are always, always, those in power. The heroes are the little people. I hate the establishment. Always have, always will.“”
- Terry Deary, The Guardian 14 July 2012
>>
>>89309
The reason I'm as interested in history as I am today. These were fantastic when I was a kid
>>
>>89309
Great as a kid desu, the only thing I would ever borrow from the library apart from Where's Wally
>>
File: 1371021798396.jpg (6KB, 155x167px) Image search: [Google]
1371021798396.jpg
6KB, 155x167px
>>89901
>that fucking faggot kid that went through the book and circled every single location
>>
Loved them, but I liked them less if Deary wrote about historical controversies as if they were fact, the one that sticks out to me was Shakespeare being a fake.
>>
>>89339
> the inca caste was full of assholes!
> that means you shouldn't feel bad for the remaining twelve million people who died or were enslaved and had little or nothing to do with the ruling class!
> literally collective punishment
British history, everybody.
>>
>>89309
One of the things that cemented my love for history.

This was the series that convinced me that history was actually interesting and not just a series of boring dates. Would recommend to absolute casuals and plebs to contaminate them with history.

The blood, gore and grossness of history really appealed to 12 year-old sadistic edgelord me.
>>
>>90010
>literally collective punishment
That's the same as expecting modern westerners to feel white guilt actually, so pretty valid.
>>
>>90010
He is just saying that the books don't just whine about the poor innocent natives who did nothing wrong.
>>
File: martin brown.jpg (53KB, 450x363px) Image search: [Google]
martin brown.jpg
53KB, 450x363px
>>89339
I like Martin Browns illustrations desu
>>
>>89309
They're good fun, but Terry Deary is pretty Whiggish.
>>
The other week I went to a WW2 exhibition by them in the imperial war museum that was bretty well put together. Although it completely ignored the eastern front...

I remember loving them as a kid too.
>>
>>90010
>collective punishment
Meanwhile, when Elgin limits all retribution for Qing torture and mutilation of prisoners to the Emperor's private treasures, and insists on sparing ordinary Chinese people, suddenly he's a barbarous monster committing cultural genocide.
>>
>>90010
>twelve million
Anon........
>>
>>90321
literally nothing wrong with that
>>
>>89309
Their pretty good. It's refreshing to see books that acknowledge the fact that history isn't all black and white, as many historical revisionist try to do nowadays with their "white man bad, everyone else good". Instead the books acknowledge that pretty much all of history sucked in one way or another, and every nation and every person had both good and bad aspects, and that history is a lot more grey than we'd like it to be at times.
>>
File: 1431390101407.jpg (10KB, 249x243px) Image search: [Google]
1431390101407.jpg
10KB, 249x243px
>tfw only found them out a year ago

The show is quite entertaining
>>
>>91145
>show
Consider suicide dumb frogposter. The books are where it's at.
>>
These books got me into history when I was a kid. My parents ordered the entire set from a kids books catalogue because there was a good special offer and they were educational.

I'd say they're definitely a good thing on the whole, because they encourage kids to be interested in history and are fun.

They do maths and science books too, "Horrible Science" and "Murderous Maths", which were pretty awesome.
>>
nothing wrong with either show desu
the live action one is often pretty funny, I'll watch it if I feel like watching television and there's little else on
>>
Overall loved them as a child, but there were of course inaccuracies and theories put across as fact.
Great introduction to history for a child though
>>
>>90438
Most Westerners, particularly self-hating liberal Americans, will not know what you are talking about or incident you are referring to.

I am non-white, think carefully before any of you liberals open your mouths against me. You will be committing a microaggresion. Pasty white shits.
>>
HH was the shit when I was young. I remember reading the books and loving them because I got to see gore.
>>
>>91327
I don't care. I really like Elgin, he tries so hard but people keep getting mad at him.
>>
>>91258
I'm pretty sure there's also a geography series. I remember having a book on deserts, which I mostly read for the bits about the history of desert exploration.
>>
>>91606
Yes, there was, don't remember what it was called but it was bretty fucking good.
>>
>>89309
>the crappy tv show.

The TV show is fucking great m8
>>
>>89309
I loved it when I was a little kid.
Its mostly anedoctic stuff, but still fun.
It really helps children get a great perspective in the day-to-day life of previous times, it creates a notion of time and humanity that otherwise would be completely absent
>>
>>89309
Used to love these when I was a kid, read pretty much all of them. They're nice for a simple overview I guess, sadly I picked up the bad habit of making endless puns like they do in the books.
>>
Loved them when I was little, but re-read a few lately and it's basically "Historical myths and anecdotes: the series."
>>
>>89309
Good for kids, I loved them and they got me interested in history when i was 10-12 because they were fun to read, but for an adult thye hold little use.
>>
>>90010
Much better than the alternative
>incas were beautiful diverse people that did nothing wrong ever ever and the evil conquistadors murdered them because they were peaceful and didn't know about weapons and war!
>>
>>89309

Responsible for my interest in history now, although when I picked one up a few years ago the first thing I noticed was that he'd written a history of the crusades which erased Byzantium entirely, to the point of calling Anna Comnena a 'Turkish Princess'.
>>
>>89309
They made me the groan-inducing pun lord I am today and when I have children they shall read them to.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.