[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we get an essential /his/ /lit/ list? I have a few books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: Aphoristic.jpg (271KB, 1246x1075px) Image search: [Google]
Aphoristic.jpg
271KB, 1246x1075px
Can we get an essential /his/ /lit/ list?

I have a few books that we could add:
>The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
>A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
>the Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
>Mein Kampf
>principia mathematica
>The Republic

Anyone else?
>>
>>69648

So, specifically for history? We could make them for certain time periods, but not for all history, unless you want just general recs.
>>
>>69648
Mein Kampf a.k.a. Butthurt Manifesto is objectively garbage.
>>
>>69648
The Prince?
The Divine Comedy?
The Odyssey?
>>
>>69735
but it's objectively a vital part of history
>>
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Heike Monogatari
>>
>>69648

What about The Spanish Civil War by Hugh Thomas or Chris Clark's Iron Kingdom?
>>
>>69812
How much Chinese history do I have to know to get into the Three kingdoms book?
>>
>>69782
Yeah but it hurts to read

Unabomber's manifesto was better and more articulate
>>
>>69867
All you need to know was that there once was a united empire, but it collapsed into three main, warring kingdoms.
The 2010 television adaption is also pretty popular and you can find the entire thing subbed online. It features an amazing rendition of Cao Cao.
>>
>>69648
Because people are going to talk about decolonisation and post-colonial Africa
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 451x692px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 451x692px
>>69966
then they should read this
>>
File: The Waning of the Middle Ages.jpg (45KB, 316x500px) Image search: [Google]
The Waning of the Middle Ages.jpg
45KB, 316x500px
Absolutely essential work.
>>
>>69648
Homage to Catalonia
>>
Herodotus - The Histories
The Annals of Tacitus
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon (even if it is 90% bullshit and pretty much ruined public perceptions of Rome, Byzantine history, and Christianity forever)
>>
File: DanielQuinn_Ishmael.jpg (14KB, 252x400px) Image search: [Google]
DanielQuinn_Ishmael.jpg
14KB, 252x400px
How have we not said Ishmael? this book (although strange) totally flipped history for me by viewing civilizations as either Takers or Leavers. Also changes the way I think of agriculture.
>>
>>
Farewell to Arms
Homage to Catalonia
>>
>>71251
Communist spotted
>>
>>71282
>Homage to Catalonia
>Communist

I saw it as more of a rebuking of the revolution from a disillusioned, but still unabashedly leftist Orwell.
>>
>>71320
Just kidding man, anyway you're right, it's a testament to what an abominably retarded clusterfuck Republican Spain was.
>>
>>71228
fuck yes Leddihn
Austrian Catholic nobleman and socio-political theorist. Describing himself as an "extreme conservative arch-liberal" or "liberal of the extreme right", Kuehnelt-Leddihn often argued that majority rule in democracies is a threat to individual liberties, and declared himself a monarchist and an enemy of all forms of totalitarianism.[1]
>>
>http://www.4chan.org/rules#his2

>Discussions about books, poetry, and other forms of literature should be posted on /lit/.

>>>/lit/
>>
File: images.jpg (46KB, 399x606px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
46KB, 399x606px
Not essential, but one of my classes on Social history had me read this and I really found it an interesting and enjoyable read.
>>
>>69648

Tacitus - the Annals
Suetonius - The Twelve Caesars
Plutarch's Lives
Aeschylus - The Persians (generally historical Greek/Roman plays)
Herodotus - Histories

Thats just some basic Greek/Roman primary sources off the top of my head. ill have a look around my books for some other eras
>>
>>71377
They usually aren't the crowd for discussing interesting historical books.
>>
File: Carlyle_French_Revolution.jpg (14KB, 270x398px) Image search: [Google]
Carlyle_French_Revolution.jpg
14KB, 270x398px
>>69648
The French Revolution: A History by Thomas Carlyle
one of the greatest and THE most interesting historical work ever written
>>
>>71182
>The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon (even if it is 90% bullshit and pretty much ruined public perceptions of Rome, Byzantine history, and Christianity forever)

literally everybody says it's a MUST READ but don't take it seriously
>>
Is Bridge on the River Kwai /his/lit/ approved?
>>
>>69648
This one obviously
>>
File: On Logic, Reason, and the World.png (4MB, 3196x1060px) Image search: [Google]
On Logic, Reason, and the World.png
4MB, 3196x1060px
>>69648
>>
Analects of Confucius.
>>
>>71410
>>69648

Got some basic Pop-history books that would be good as introductions to those who dont know much. Not sure if these are
'essentials' though. id recommend them though for a beginner

Christopher Clark - Iron Kingdom: Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1645-1945

Tom Holland - Persian Fire (his books are generally alright but simplify events a bit)

Eric Hobsbawn's Age of revolution etc (4 books in the series, highly regarded British Marxist Historian)

Jonathan Fenby - Penguin History of Modern China
>>
>>71355
>>71320
>>71251
>>71103
Yeah, the Republican side was a total clusterfuck, especially once the sub-groups starting shooting at each other.
>>
>>71411
It's still the rules.
>>
This would be an essential list so it would be best to only include general literature that is highly acclaimed and very worth reading. Maybe a book or two to cover each time period or so.

A good book on the first civilizations
The best book on Egypt
The best on the Hebrews
the best on early Asia
The best on Greece
etc.

We can have essential Revolutionary history charts later on but now we should focus on general books that cover large amounts of time with good research,

The Republic
The Odyssey
The Bible
A People's Republic of the United States
Mein Kampf
The Art of War
The Prince
Common Sense
The Wealth of Nations
Communist Manifesto

These are all obvious choices.
>>
>>71377
I guess we shouldn't talk about text books on /sci/ or manga on /a/.
>>
>>71757
There's no specific rule that goes against those. There is for this board.
>>
>>70866
Obliviousfag to history here. I'm interested in the Middle Ages, but have no contextual knowledge of the events leading up to it. Is this a good book to pick up on a whim?

Any other historical recollection books that are essential reads? Not necessarily period books from the time, but can give an overview of such.
>>
>>69648
Unlike /biz/ or /fit/ you could read mandatory reading all year on minor /his/ subjects and still not fully study the area.

This thread is shit, as is your summer reading list.
>>
>>71828
McKitterick, Rosamond, ed. The New Cambridge Medieval History

http://bookzz.org/s/?q=The+New+Cambridge+Medieval+History.&t=0

Europe after Rome: A New Cultural History 500-1000
Julia M. H. Smith

http://bookzz.org/book/878671/c248a9
>>
>>71636
If that rule stands this will literally be a huge /int/ /pol/ wikipedia scholar circle jerk. You cant do history without source material.
>>
>>69648
>A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
>Revisionist shit.
I do agree that it's probably worth reading some selections though, just to see the bullshit.

Anyone here like the Oxford series? Only one I've read was 'What Hath God Wrought', but I really enjoyed the presentation.
>>
>>71828
God's War, a new history of the crusades by Christopher Tyermann is pretty good if you want to read about the crusades.
>>
>>69648
>Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
>Voltaire's Candide
>The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle translated into modern English
All required reading to be honest.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.