[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This sign is called the Chi Rho, Buddha is making it on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

File: -521830.jpg (105KB, 663x451px) Image search: [Google]
-521830.jpg
105KB, 663x451px
This sign is called the Chi Rho, Buddha is making it on the left, Christ on the right (first two fingers are Χ, the rest Ρ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Rho

Buddhism was enormously influenced by Christianity, and a lot of the things we started considered "ancient Eastern wisdom", with the advent of Orientalism, actually originated with Christianity.

For instance, “mantra” and “japa” (mantra meditation) just meant a regular prayer in Eastern religions until a while after Christians started using constant repetitions. The earliest Buddhist canon, which is the Pali canon, dates from 29 BC and make no mention of mantra meditation. Christian meditation dates back to the OT (Genesis 24:63). Joshua 1:8 says to keep the Law constantly on your lips, to meditate on it day and night. The word translated as “meditate” here, means to mutter or growl quietly. Paul says to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17) The earliest extensive written instructions on Christian mantra meditation, were authored by Saint John Cassian, in 420 AD, at the behest of Bishop Castor of Apt. The earliest account of Buddha as we think of him now was written by Buddhaghosa, and dates from around the same time Saint John Cassian was writing (earlier accounts of Buddha are closer to something out of Homer). The Visuddhimagga, Buddhaghosa’s extensive meditation manual, makes no mention of mantras; here meditation is focusing on something (or focusing on precisely nothing), but none of the instruction says anything about use of mantras in meditation. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, from the 4th Century AD, mention mantras, but here they have nothing to do with mediation, they’re invocations used to gain power over things, probably the identical sense to what they were for Brahmin priests. As for Hinduism, their most famous mantra, the Hare Krishna, was not used for constant repetition or meditation until 16th Century AD, when it was popularized by Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
>>
>Buddhism was enormously influenced by Christianity
here's your reply
>>
File: Buddha-Vajrapani-Herakles.jpg (572KB, 983x1068px) Image search: [Google]
Buddha-Vajrapani-Herakles.jpg
572KB, 983x1068px
>>674394
Completely out of the question, obviously.
>>
>>674369
Why do you call Visuddhimagga a meditation manual?
>>
Constantine, or just a different Christard poster?
>>
>>674369
post a link to one peer reviewed article supporting this.

hard mode: one not written by a devout Christian
>>
>>674472
Woah what is the context on that?
Alexander the Great's influence ?
>>
>>674369
That you again, Constantine?
>>
File: kami no kodomo.jpg (115KB, 436x619px) Image search: [Google]
kami no kodomo.jpg
115KB, 436x619px
>>674369
explain this
>weebs 1
>christians 0
>>
>>674503
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajrapani
>>
>>674369
>Genesis 24:63

We don't exactly what that verb means. I've seen it as pray, converse, roam, stroll...
>>
File: 1430253861193.png (504KB, 561x590px) Image search: [Google]
1430253861193.png
504KB, 561x590px
>>674369
Explain more.
>>
>>674369
what even is this complete horseshit

we get it, you love christianity, but holy shit get over your superiority complex.
>>
Commonalities between European and Buddhist religious art traditions exist because of common ancestry, but this predates Christianity.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
>>
>>674576
http://www.rabbisacks.org/covenant-conversation-5768-chayei-sarah-isaac-and-prayer/
>>
>>674369
>As for Hinduism, their most famous mantra, the Hare Krishna, was not used for constant repetition or meditation until 16th Century AD, when it was popularized by Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
But that is a singular example there are others like the gayathri mantra the karunabathee mantra and a thousand others that the Brahmins dont even talk about because only the brahmin can lifts its swara.

So what exactly are you trying to prove?
>>
>>674904
Most likely that Christianity holds a spiritual superiority other faiths grudgingly refuse to accept.
>>
>>674904
These mantras were not employed as we think of "matra" today, in ancient times. That is, they weren't repeated in meditation or perpetually through the day or anything like that, they were just special incantations that only Brahmans had use of.
>>
>>674930
If Christianity were true, then it would certainly have spiritual supremacy over all other religions, would it not?
>>
>>674369
Chanting meditation has existed before any organized religion.
>>
>>674369
>hinduism
>hare krishna
The entire concept of krishna as a lovable deity stems from the bhakti movement in islamic india when the older systems of imperial religion started to splinter and fall.
The older systems survived with brahmins still performing religious ceremonies for their communities while folk religion started to gain traction.

kill yourself christcuck. your god is an autist.
>>
>>674974
The actual prayer itself predates Islam though. It just wasn't used as a perpetual or meditative thing.
>>
>>674369
What does the Chi Rho signify in Buddhism? What concepts in Buddhist philosophy were influenced by Christianity?
>>
>>675001
It's just a meme, like
>>674472
>>
>>674984
the idea of salvation through faith alone was the cornerstone of the bhakti movement.
while the idea is present in the upanishads, it gained popularity in the turmoil of the delhi sultanate, and co existed with older rituals like fire worship and veneration of brahmins.

However, it was always something rustic and folksy. Whenever hindu rulers became kings they followed the older traditions that the guptas and the mauryas used. Case in point the crowning of Shivaji fucking Bhonsle as the emperor. This was after a very strong bhakti movement in the maratha heartlands for a long period of time that resulted in a blend of brahminical and local tribal traditions under the umbrella of the bhakti movement.
>>
Y'all are now aware of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
>>
File: smug pepe.jpg (52KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
smug pepe.jpg
52KB, 499x499px
>>674369
>>
>>675019
Right, that is probably where they got the Christian stuff from.
>>
Reminder that the Buddha has a feast day in the Eastern Orthodox church.
>>
>painter from 1XXX AD paints something inspired by a poo in loo

WOAH, YOU SEE THAT, JESUS COMPLETELY COPIED BUDDAH, CHECK MATE CHRISTIANS
>>
>>674493
Its literally the same post she made last time. Its based on the practice whereby you can justify innovation and change in method by cherry picking a verse or two from the bible that can be loosley to said innovation, then its just a matter of saying thats how it has always been done so its not an innovation its just that people forgot.

Protestants are great at this.

>yfw Mathew 26:3 demonstrates that the Islamic form of prayer is the correct method and that Christians have been doing incorrectly for over a 1500 years!
>>
>>674932
>These mantras were not employed as we think of "matra" today, in ancient times. That is, they weren't repeated in meditation or perpetually through the day or anything like that, they were just special incantations that only Brahmans had use of.
I was a born hindu and I am pretty sure most of what you said is revisionist nonsense, the yajna requires a swara and sangeetha accompanying the resonance of the words that are being said, e.g the word om said as AUM requires your diaphragm to facilitate the words expulsion and is directly related to raga(a concept of music) within the mantra being recited.

You dont seem to have any abject examples only an assumption based on a biased opinion.
>>
>>674904
That the only reason other faiths seem to have any legitimacy is because they appropriated the truth from Christianity.

Its kind of like how the Bahai use the golden rule
>>
>>674369
This is what Christians tell themselves
>>
>>675375
The golden rule predates Christianity.
>>
>>675378
This is Constantine, who also says jesus is the ubermensch.
>>
>>675375
>That the only reason other faiths seem to have any legitimacy is because they appropriated the truth from Christianity.
Too bad my religion is called the Sanatana Dharma, the eternal religion.

It existed way before abraham thought of sacrficing his child to the voices in his head.
>>
>>675453
The golden rule part was about the Bahai and how they use that to push their perennial religion view rather than saying Christians invented it.
>>
>>675468
>Too bad my religion is called the Sanatana Dharma, the eternal religion.

That is how the OP (Constantine) thinks, likewise for her the alignment with the East Orthodox Church and its teachings is a condition she has for something being truthful when it comes to these matters. Hence during discussions of this kind there isnt much room for movement or change unless it agrees with this axiom of hers.

So just bear that in mind when responding to her on issues like this.

Pic related and something often posted by her
>>
>>674369
Buddhism predates Christianity by 600 years Constantine.
>>
>>675366
>she
>>
File: 100_5749[1].jpg (1008KB, 1896x2848px) Image search: [Google]
100_5749[1].jpg
1008KB, 1896x2848px
>>675001
>What does the Chi Rho signify in Buddhism?

It's the Karana mudra.
>>
>>675497
>That is how the OP (Constantine) thinks, likewise for her the alignment with the East Orthodox Church and its teachings is a condition she has for something being truthful when it comes to these matters. Hence during discussions of this kind there isnt much room for movement or change unless it agrees with this axiom of hers.

Ah that shows it, its a woman.
>>
File: could it be.jpg (760KB, 1564x1002px) Image search: [Google]
could it be.jpg
760KB, 1564x1002px
You're like those people who post pictures of pyramids in different cultures and assume they must all be related.
>>
>>674369
I was wondering why Jesus was always throwing gang signs in Byzantine paintings
>>
>>675497
That is some Satanic way to viewing things. Satan gives him a comfortable life so he continues to worship Satan. Even if it isn't Satan, whatever he is worshiping could be an evil entity and he is perfectly okay with that. Fucking white people, I swear.
>>
>>675504
Its why she dropped her trip, that jew with aspergers kept on hassling her.

>>675552
I know its frustrating, just be glad you learned that now instead of getting bogged down in a long argument with her.
>>
>>675468
For Hindus what kind of arguments do they have against Buddhism and vice-versa?
>>
>>675590
>For Hindus what kind of arguments do they have against Buddhism and vice-versa?
I personally dont find I have any arguments with buddhists, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_Hinduism

I guess, Hinduism is too inclusive and all encompassing at its core for me to be extremist about it, hell you could be a atheist hindu if you wanted.
>>
>>675695
How does Hinduism cope with Islam then?
>>
>>674369
Wow, nice delusion, christfag
>>
>>675709
By burning and killing them on a regular basis, Islam must be destroyed to the last muslim child.
>>
>>675773
>>675709
From what I've been reading there is a new strain of radical Hinduism taking hold in India which is hostile to all "foreign" elements. Including Christians. I believe the current prime minister is allied with this group
>>
>>675794
>From what I've been reading there is a new strain of radical Hinduism taking hold in India which is hostile to all "foreign" elements.
That is not a new phenomenon in india, it has been there for a very long time since the time of the Magadha and the Mauryas and the Greek Invasion.

Chanakya engendered the sparks of subcontinental unity that led to the foundation of the hindu/indian identity in the form of the Mauryan empire and this inturn led to the idea of Akhand Bharat, united india from the afghan hills and swat valley to burma from kashmir to kanyakumari.

This was a theme for the latter lords and rulers of the northern lands who were under violent pressure from the incoming central asian Huna/Scythian hordes in the time of the late Mauryas to the Guptas.

This repeated throughout history under the Rashtrakutas, Rajputs, Jats, Vijayanagara Empire and many other hindu nations that sought relief from the invading islamic hordes.

Just being expressed currently in a more political and less violent mode.
>>
File: 1423526668041.jpg (21KB, 474x528px) Image search: [Google]
1423526668041.jpg
21KB, 474x528px
>>674369
Anyone that traded or lived near a port would be influenced by outsiders mythology and religious practices. It's really not that surprising.

There are dozens of books about the parallel teachings and lives of Christ and Buddha.

The obvious explanation is dank memes. Some parables and practices are so awesome that they can cross cultural lines.
>>
File: the_sound_of_mind_snapping.png (258KB, 855x362px) Image search: [Google]
the_sound_of_mind_snapping.png
258KB, 855x362px
>>674369
Yeah it's not like Christ was a man born thousands of years later than the advent of Eastern philosophy right?
>>
>>675904
500 years * broski
so centuries
>>
>>675904
Her quote was based on the OT not the NT
>>
>>675951
>>675497
>>675536
>>675578

>her
>>
That is why Buddha is saint in Christianity.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlaam_and_Josaphat

Another influence.

These are not coincidences. But rather a systematic influence seeping in.
>>
WE
>>
WUZ
BUDDHISTS
N
SHIEEEETZ
>>
File: wait a minute.jpg (32KB, 555x555px) Image search: [Google]
wait a minute.jpg
32KB, 555x555px
>yfw all religions are copies of christianity
Fuck.
>>
>>675468
It's good to see another Hindu on this board. What sampradaya are you?
>>
>>674369
PROMETHEUS, THOTH, BHUDDA

IT HAS COME BACK FROM THE ONENESS MANY TIMES

(except it was never jesus)
>>
so how many yindoos are there?
I count 3.
>>675860
that is an incredibly simplistic way of looking at history.
>>675794
no, its just indian society going through a transition and people looking for quick and easy answers always run towards fundamentalists.
>>
>>676135
Even judaism?
>>
>>677247

Yes. Everyone knows Jesus was a time traveller, and just used Abraham as an alias
>>
>>675374

>anectdotal evidence
>All Hindus believe the same thing
>there is a set dogma in Hinduism that never changes over time
>>
>>677150
>fundamentalists
>quick and easy answers

fucking know-nothing
>>
>>677267
well you should hear what they say.
>>
>>674517
I remember when I read that manga
>god's child
>born anally

Good taste though
>>
>>674369
Buddhism is influenced by Greek thought(through Bactrian and later Greek-indian kingdoms), christianity is influenced by greek though.

See the connection?
>>
>>677627
If I'm reading this right, Buddhism was influenced by Christianity, right?
>>
>>675500
>Buddhism predates Christianity by 600 years Constantine.
ancient Buddhism is VERY different from what we know of today

desu people are so hateful of Christianity that they can't accept its massive impact upon the world.
>>
>>677247
modern Judaism is heavily influenced by Christian ideas
>>
>>675500

>religion doesn't change over time

Islam is 600 years younger than Christianity, but are you going to say that Christianity wasn't affected by Islam?

Are you going to say that Buddhism and Hinduism weren't affected by Islam, or that Hinduism wasn't affected by Buddhism?
>>
>>677627
>buddhist artwork is now buddhist thought
Bravo
>>
>>674472

>Indo-Bactrian Kingdoms
>Christian

Shit son what are you doing
>>
>>675366
>she
There are girls here?
>>
>>678557
Constantine is frustrated that she will never be a priest so she proselytizes on this indo-bactrian buddhist temple.
>>
File: spede_burger.jpg (20KB, 339x358px) Image search: [Google]
spede_burger.jpg
20KB, 339x358px
>>674369

>But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.…
>>
>>678557
we are all little girls anon-kun
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.