[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Stalingrad the closest thing to hell on earth humanity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 37

File: 175019860919086.jpg (176KB, 800x541px) Image search: [Google]
175019860919086.jpg
176KB, 800x541px
Was Stalingrad the closest thing to hell on earth humanity has experienced?
>>
I'd rather be there than Leningrad.
>>
>>671194
That would probably be the Thirty Years War in general.
>>
Siege of Leningrad was pretty shit because of the starvation. Also the first day of Iwo Jima was probably pretty fucking crazy because of how small of an island it was and the frequency of casualties over a short period of time
>>
>>671194
Being an 11 year old Japanese girl under US occupation.
>>
>>671194
no stalingrad was very cold
>>
>>671238
>massive American dicks invade your shores
>>
File: 10985180950891.jpg (116KB, 800x516px) Image search: [Google]
10985180950891.jpg
116KB, 800x516px
The entire Eastern Front in general was probably the lowest level humanity has sank to.
>>
File: hiroshima-aftermath.jpg (4MB, 4343x2889px) Image search: [Google]
hiroshima-aftermath.jpg
4MB, 4343x2889px
>>671194
>hell on earth
say no more senpai
>>
>>671194
The worst parts of WW1 compare.

>>671238
>>671248
>>671241
>>671315
epic meme
>>
>>671194
>Khans invade your city
>man, this sucks
>shit dude, wait until the eastern front happens!
>>
File: image.jpg (211KB, 669x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211KB, 669x960px
>>671194
Post Saddam Iraq was
>>
Second Congo War was worse, IMHO.

At least in the eastern front, people knew what they were fighting for.
>>
>>671361
>a couple of people dying for a single room in Stalingrad
>>
>>671361
I was 15 when the war ended.

There were some folks near my camp who dropped Christianity and went back to the old ways during the height of the horrorshow. Their reasoning was the same as that of our ancestors: If God cares about the world so much then why would he allow all this?
>>
>>671194
>>671199
>>671212
>>671238
>>671241
>>671272
>>671315
>>671349
>>671361
Auschwitz sounds pretty bad desu
>>
No, that would be my life.
>>
>>671361
>>671408
tell me about the second congo war
>>
>>671426
acquire ptsd m8
>>
>>671194
World War I was worse, I'd say.
>toxic gas
>constant shelling
>men dying of basic diseases in the trenches
>sleeping in the side of a ditch, being lulled to sleep by MG nests
>the smell of rotting corpses in no man's land
>knowing at some point you'd have to climb over and run straight towards death
>dying from the smallest wounds because of shit medical attention

Probably the biggest tragedy in human history.
>men coming home shellshocked and nobody would care
>>
File: 1327467852570.jpg (44KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1327467852570.jpg
44KB, 409x409px
>walk out of command post
>some lost german flips his shit, panics and shoots you in the arm and gets the fuck out of there
>hit you in the bone
>at aid station, get patched up, pass out on a fucking horrendously filthy mattress
>awoken by a horrendously painful itch
>thick line of termites leading from the mattress to under your cast eating at your wound
>have to run outside and find a fucking stick to jam under your cast into your wound because anything is better than what you're currently experiencing

I'd have ran to the nearest pistol and just killed myself instead. Fuck Stalingrad.
>>
File: 1412974688906.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
1412974688906.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>671438
The Congo Wars (not the same as the Congo Crisis back in the 60's during the Cold War)) were two wars that fucking ravaged the Democratic Republic of the Congo starting from 1996. It technically ended in 2003, when the transitional government took charge in the country, but fighting still persists as of today in the far east. The second war killed more than 5 million people, making it the deadliest conflict since World War II. The deadliest phase, the Second Congo War (1998-2003), is also called the Great War of Africa. The conflict started as semi-good guys vs semi-good guys with valid reasons for fighting, but then it turned into a grimdark monsters vs monsters war, with all the parties involved taking advantage of the rich resources of the DRC and generally stomping the country to the ground. When I read about the 30 Years War europeans had I was shocked by the similarities. Considering all the different factions explaining the whole thing in one post seems impossible.

Mobutu Sese Seko Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga (pomopus name he gave himself) which means "The all-powerful warrior who, because of his endurance and inflexible will to win, goes from conquest to conquest, leaving fire in his wake." was that fucker you sometimes see in old photographs wearing a leopard print hat and was commander of the DRC since 1965. He promised everybody the moon and didn't do shit but steal from the nation.

At the start of the war, DRC was (kek) a failed state, the army had to maintain themselves by looting and the east areas were out of the capital’s control, controlled by the Banyamulenge, Tutsi living in Zaire. The main problem with the ethnic term is that it doesn’t differentiate between the Tutsi that historically immigrated and the ones that came more recently because of the turmoil in Rwanda and Burundi. When Mobutu ordered them repatriated, that included the Banyamulenge, and many of them ended forming part of the Rwandan Patriotic Front, a rebel group.
>>
>>671194
Russkie go home.
>>
File: Burn in hell you fucker.jpg (492KB, 1130x1695px) Image search: [Google]
Burn in hell you fucker.jpg
492KB, 1130x1695px
>>671474
When the Rwandan genocide came to an end, the Rwandan Patriotic Front was at command and started to persecute the former Hutu genocides (called génocidaires), prompting most of them to flee to Zaire. The problem was that many Tutsis that had fled the genocide had the same idea, and soon victims and victimizers were in the same place. Guess how well that came out. To add insult to injury, Mobutu not only couldn’t control what happened in the area, but actually tried to help the génocidaires for an eventual invasion of Rwanda. Things escalated until a Banyamulenge rebellion started in 1996 and a militia headed by Laurent-Désiré Kabila was formed, the Alliance of Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Congo, after which the neighboring countries of Rwanda, Angola, Burundi and Uganda decided to join the conflict for different reasons; Rwanda to stop attacks to the country from the génocidaires in Zaire and to establish a puppet regime in Kinshasa; Uganda and Burundi because of their sympathy with the Tutsis; Angola because Mobutu’s cronies provided the partisan group UNITA with armament (at that time, Angola was still caught in a civil war). Zaire received support of the UNITA and the Army for the Liberation of Rwanda, formed for the most part of former génocidaires. Other countries also contributed, like Ethiopia, Eritrea and Zimbabwe.

Because Zaire’s army was shit, the AFDL and its allies gained control of the east area, achieving the objective of destroying the camps the genócidaires used as bases (it deserves to be mentioned, anyway, that Rwanda took advantage and repatriated all the Tutsis it could, despite their nationality, to recover population and workforce; not to mention the possible atrocities committed to the Hutus refugees). They decided to keep pushing and by 1997, Mobutu had been deposed and Laurent-Désiré Kabila claimed himself president and renamed the country Democratic Republic of the Congo, that was the end of the 1st war.
>>
File: 1895018501.jpg (125KB, 647x475px) Image search: [Google]
1895018501.jpg
125KB, 647x475px
>>671481
I don't think you have to be Russian to realize that Stalingrad was pure, undistilled savagery for all sides involved.
>>
File: Second_Congo_War_2001_map_en.png (2MB, 2990x2848px) Image search: [Google]
Second_Congo_War_2001_map_en.png
2MB, 2990x2848px
>>671488
In a decent world, this would have ended here, with a clusterfuck country in need of reconstruction and Kabila trying to get the country back on its feet. However, since this is the real world, the new regime was exactly like the one before, the corruption was still rampant, the ethnic tensions remained because of the centralized government and, to worsen things up, Kabila realized he was seen as an instrument of the foreign governments, so he started to turn against them, eventually expelling them from the country.

In 1998, a few of militia groups mutinied and started to fight with the government and, starting from there, ALL HELL broke loose, as multiple nations entered (or re-entered) to the DRC, in a confusing mess that is almost unexplainable. The only comprehensible thing was the ravaging and the humanitarian disaster that followed the fighting. Ironically (or maybe not), on THIS occasion the sides were reversed; Uganda, Burundi and Rwanda were now the enemies of the DRC (along with some Tutsi movements, the Movement for the Liberation of Congo and the Rally for Congolese Democracy), while Angola, Chad, Namibia and Zimbabwe were the allies of DRC, along with some other parties like Libya and Sudan; most of them were in it for the resources in the country, especially the diamond industry (Zimbabwe, Namibia and Libya being the most blatant examples of this). There were about 25 armed groups involved, because many of the countries involved had rebel militias that entered the war in the opposite band, and sometimes some of them split to form new militias.
>>
>>671522
>I don't think you have to be Russian to realize that Stalingrad was pure, undistilled savagery for all sides involved.
Yes, it was. But anyway, russkie go home.
>>
>>671361
>Comparing an already pretty bad Second Congo War
>To Rattenkrieg, where during this single battle, as many people died in the most horrible of ways.
>>
>>671522
can you recommend me some books that go into detail about how brutal the fighting got? I dont want a documentary, just a look into what made it so much more brutal than any campaign.
>>
Hell isn't real
>>
>>671523
In 2001, Laurent-Désiré Kabila was killed by his bodyguards and his son, Joseph Kabila, took the presidential office. He started negotiations with Rwanda to end the conflict but in the meantime, the exploiting of the Congo’s resources continued. With time, however, the fighting slowed and eventually stopped, in part because Rwanda achieved to convince the DRC of complying with some of their objectives (although others, like the disbanding of the Interahamwe, which took part in the genocide of 1994 and had taken refuge in Congo, didn’t), but for the most part it was because the parties involved started to get tired of the never-ending violence.

Today, the conflict still persists in the form of rebel groups in the main conflict areas of the east, like the Kivu and Ituri conflict or the militia group Mai-Mai, which simply slipped out of control of the government. Some of the groups are funded by other governments, which only make things more complicated. As for the humanitarian cost, there are millions of displaced internal and externally, more than five million deaths and all the sides acting like monsters with all kinds of crimes, including mass killings and war rape.

The Second Congo war was an orgy of massacres, rapes, torture, and cannibalism. HIV & AIDS skyrocketed due to all the rape.

I knew a guy with no hands that told me about how some sick Mangbetu fucks got bored and bet on the gender of his wife's unborn child. After raping her to death they tore out her child to see who was right. All while he was forced to watch. The fetus was fed to a dog.

Last I heard the old guy shot himself after getting asylum in France.
>>
>>671550

Enemy at the gates was a decent book. Not a personal account, little dry and detached sometimes going into the history of it, but it helps you understand the battle a lot better, and there's more than enough personal accounts and little stories of how fucking awful it was.

My favorite was the shit sifting operation prisoners in PoW camps had. They'd shift the grain out of shit so they could eat it again.
>>
>>671583
>Last I heard the old guy shot himself after getting asylum in France.

Lol what a whiny little bitch
>>
>>671592
god thats brutal, thank you ill look into this book
>>
>>671583

Thanks for posting man, I love modern African history.
>>
>>671456
>constant shelling
was not a thing
>>
>>671456
World War I, you only spent 1 out of every 3 or 4 weeks on the front lines, otherwise most time spent R&R or in support trenches
>>
>>671550
Stalingrad by Antony Beaver
>>
>>671699
Right, but how many other wars did you spend one week a month that close to the enemy? And for that length of time?

Also, in the onset of trench warfare, I don't think troop rotations were a thing. The whole of the first world war was essentially learning how the war should be fought.
>>
File: 1412982928159.jpg (32KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1412982928159.jpg
32KB, 480x454px
"The mortality in Siena began in May. It was a cruel and horrible thing. . . . It seemed that almost everyone became stupefied seeing the pain. It is impossible for the human tongue to recount the awful truth. Indeed, one who did not see such horribleness can be called blessed. The victims died almost immediately. They would swell beneath the armpits and in the groin, and fall over while talking. Father abandoned child, wife husband, one brother another; for this illness seemed to strike through breath and sight. And so they died. None could be found to bury the dead for money or friendship. Members of a household brought their dead to a ditch as best they could, without priest, without divine offices. In many places in Siena great pits were dug and piled deep with the multitude of dead. And they died by the hundreds, both day and night, and all were thrown in those ditches and covered with earth. And as soon as those ditches were filled, more were dug. I, Agnolo di Tura . . . buried my five children with my own hands. . . . And so many died that all believed it was the end of the world."

I know wars are more stylish than diseases, but Jesus.

Do people forget that the Black Plague killed half of Europe?
>>
>>671194
The Somme, Verdun, Paschendale.

I'd rather have fought in Stalingrad than any of the above.

For a good example of what WW1 was really like, I recommend the book "Poliu" by Corporal Louis Barthas.

>>671523
>>671583
I'll give this one a thirty year war/10.
>>
>War of Galipoli
>Crossfire is so bad bullets hit them each other in the air before they hit you

Sounds pretty hell, senpai.
>>
>>671583
>>671523
>>671488
>>671474
fucking hell
thanks for sharing
>>
>>671194
Passchendaele
>>
>>671583
How did he shoot himself without having hands?
>>
>>671194
No, what the Japanese did to anyone unlucky enough to fall under their control was worse
>>
File: Passchendaele.jpg (1MB, 6529x1632px) Image search: [Google]
Passchendaele.jpg
1MB, 6529x1632px
>>671801
>>
>>671545
>russkie
Vatnik* ftfy
>>
>>671714
the doctrine from the beginning was rotation, but despite how little "action" the average soldier encoutered in a month, the insane amount of death just makes it more mind boggling
>>
>>671803
Hell if I know
>>
File: lol.png (125KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
125KB, 268x265px
>>671592
>>671702
> both books written decades after Stalingrad by Americans who either weren't born at the time or were 14 y.o.

Nice.
>>
File: 30-years-war-hangtree.jpg (66KB, 728x444px) Image search: [Google]
30-years-war-hangtree.jpg
66KB, 728x444px
>>671194
The correct answer is >>671201
>>
>>671697
Verdun had hundreds millions of shell fired in just a few months
>>
>>671801
>>671835
A softer version of Verdun tbqh
>>
>>671583
>I knew a guy with no hands that told me about how some sick Mangbetu fucks got bored and bet on the gender of his wife's unborn child. After raping her to death they tore out her child to see who was right. All while he was forced to watch. The fetus was fed to a dog.
>Last I heard the old guy shot himself after getting asylum in France
BULL
SHIT
>>
>>672010
>Antony Beevor
>American

Anyways, in terms of pure casualties sustained in a short period, the early Western Front of WWI takes the cake. Hundreds of thousands of dead within a month.

Stalingrad is notable though, since lots of Russian units were basically martyred in the defense. Fighting at Mamayev Kurgan sounds like it would've been a hellish experience. Then you get the whole 300,000 Germans trapped in the pocket with only 91,000 surviving to surrender. Shit was pretty bad tbqhyf
>>
>>671194

Probably gas warfare. Most notable in the First World War.

By 1917, they had mustard gas which didn't really smell and would affect troops before they could react. There are stories of men avoiding gas with gasmasks, only for them to get the liquid form stuck on their boots. When they retreated to their bunkers, the gas remnants on their boots would kill everything in a confined space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXvM66TzLFg

skip to 36.20
>>
>>671421
Auschwitz wasn't that bad. It was a concentration camp. Birkenau on the other hand...
>>
>>671721
Have you ever read the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis? It's historical/science fiction (the "present day" of the book is like 2050, but the protagonist goes back in time) but it's really good. Not entirely sure how accurate it is but it seems to get a lot of details right, and it does an excellent job of portraying the horrors of the plague. It's probably the most I've ever been affected by a book; I think it gave me a nightmare, or at least a really weird dream.
>>
File: leroux.jpg (43KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
leroux.jpg
43KB, 500x348px
Stalingrad was fucking kiddy shit compared to Verdun lad.
>>
>>673124
Survival statistics say otherwise. You had a fair chance to survive Verdun. Going to Stalingrad on the other hand equaled to death sentence unless you were extremely lucky.
>>
>>671697
Nigga, they used to bring so much ammunition that it affected the whole army's movement and positioning at times.
>>
>>673138
people going into stalingrad were shot, starved, blown up in an urban environment

people going into verdun were going into a literal burning moonscape where the air itself was poisonous, where you could drop down a shell crater 40 feet deep and drown in the darkness,
>>
I'd take Stalingrad over Okinawa, and I'd take Okinawa over Verdun, and I'd take Verdun over the Thirty Years War.
>>
File: 1451695529572.jpg (70KB, 1024x646px) Image search: [Google]
1451695529572.jpg
70KB, 1024x646px
>>671194
>hell exists
>>
>>673196
>>666666
>>
>>671201
>>672034
>>673175
The 30 Years War was only awful for civilians
For soldiers it was like every other wars of the era
>>
>>673175
>Stalingrad over Okinawa

Are you Japanese or American? Because there's no way in hell I would even consider going to Stalingrad if I could fight in Okinawa as an American.
>>
>>673326
Horrible? With front-column duty being a death sentence?
>>
Rape of Nanking?
>>
File: verdun-painting.jpg (103KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
verdun-painting.jpg
103KB, 800x565px
>>673124
I agree with you, not with ww1 in general, but inside of a fort in verdun as a frenchy when the germans cam knocking with artillery, gas and flamethrowers.. yeah thanks no.

oh and at leasdt post the full one so the magnitude of the soldiers gets the right scale. like ants in an inferno..
>>
>>671583
So what gender was the child?
>>
>>673403
You can't tell what they identify as yet you doofus.
>>
Sichuan under Zhang Xianzhong sounded pretty fucking shitty.

>The events surrounding Zhang Xianzhong's rule and afterwards devastated Sichuan, where he was said to have "engaged in one of the most hair-raising genocides in imperial history". Lurid stories of his killings and flayings were given in various accounts. According to Shu Bi (蜀碧), an 18th-century account of the massacre, after every slaughter, the heads were collected and placed in several big piles, while the hands were placed in other big piles, and the ears and noses in more piles, so that Zhang Xianzhong can keep count of his killings. In one incident, he was said to have organized an imperial examination ostensibly to recruit scholars for his administration, only to have all the candidates which numbered many thousands killed. In another, to give thanks for his recovery after an illness, he was said to have cut off the feet of many women. The severed feet were heaped in two piles with those of his favorite concubine, whose feet were unusually small, placed on top, and these two piles of feet were then doused in oil and set alight to be what he called "heavenly candles"
> In November 1645, according to de Magalhães, Zhang, after hearing that "a huge and powerful army was coming against him", announced that "the people of his kingdom had a secret pact with the enemy and planned an uprising; because of this he was determined to kill all, leaving not one person alive". The Jesuits, who now "understood the evil of this man", reported that while they managed to save a few of their people who were taken, the rest were killed. Zhang's policy of terror increased in intensity, especially in 1646 after he had decided to abandon Sichuan. By then, Zhang's government had virtually disintegrated, all but three of his principal officials had either committed suicide or were executed.
>>
>>673447
Oh and he wrote this lovely poem:

天生萬物以養人
>Heaven brings forth innumerable things to nurture man.
人無一善以報天
>Man has nothing good with which to recompense Heaven.
殺殺殺殺殺殺殺
>Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill.
>>
>>671349
>Saddam "shooting ministers during government meetings because they annoy me" Hussein Iraq
>paradise
Yeah sure
>>
>>671474
Is there a certain book you recommend on this subject?
>>
>>671550
Life and Destiny, by Vassili Grossman.
>>
If it didn't kill itself, the highly unusual Spanish flu could have easily wrought hell on earth, considering it had infected 500 million people (which included the remote pacific islands and the Arctic.)
>>
Nanking
>>
File: 1.gif (101KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
101KB, 425x425px
Life in a gulag was probably worse, that or unit 731

God the 20th century was fucked up.
>>
>>675406
>Unit 731

Holy fuck. THIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqnftyYWW4E

AND THEY GOT AWAY WITH IT
>>
>>671361
Easily one of the most fucked up wars ever fought

The rape statistics alone are the stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>671583
Around Blacks Never Relax.
>>
>>673124
combat was worse at Verdun (men drowning in puddles of rotten corpse goo for instance) but didn't have the cold and starvation of Stalingrad.
>>
>>673138
French and Germans rotated most of their armies on the Western Front through Verdun ergo the high survival rates. Fighting was still worse though.
>>
>>672072
I don't know about that. Verdun had more intense shelling, sure, but Passchendaele had the mud. People were literally drowning in mud-filled shell holes. Plus the this sector had been seeing action since 1914 so the shelling kept unearthing decomposing bodies and shit. Both pretty bad though.
>>
>>675423
>AND THEY GOT AWAY WITH IT
thanks america
>>
>>671238

Setsuko pls
>>
>>675406
>gulag: Get beaten to death/freeze/starve/shot
>Unit 741: Lets put pig blood in a guy and take off a guys arm and put it where his legs are without any anesthetic.
>>
File: passchendaele.jpg (66KB, 736x318px) Image search: [Google]
passchendaele.jpg
66KB, 736x318px
>>675494
Forgot pic
>>
File: 1437511891031.png (131KB, 422x416px) Image search: [Google]
1437511891031.png
131KB, 422x416px
>>675406
>>675505
Unit 741 is actually one of the few things where just reading about it makes me sick to my stomach.

I think the most disturbing things to me were the mass vivisections and purposeful and forceful spread of STDs en masse. Just imagining it all makes me want to puke.
>>
>>675494
Do you really think Verdun didnt have mud?

>The concentration of so much fighting in such a small area devastated the land, resulting in miserable conditions for troops on both sides. Rain combined with the constant tearing up of the ground turned the clay of the area to a wasteland of mud full of human remains. Shell craters became filled with a liquid ooze, becoming so slippery that troops who fell into them or took cover in them could drown. Forests were reduced to tangled piles of wood by constant artillery-fire and eventually obliterated.[89]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun#Morale
>>
The Belgian colonization of the Congo was pretty nasty.

I remember reading about it in a history magazine, and apparently there were these massive walled off landfills that nobody besides government officials were allowed to see/enter, and during the decolonization of the region they were opened up, only to reveal giant mounds of nude corpses, often mangled or disfigured, and it was revealed that the landfills were used by the Belgians to hide people killed by colonists.

I could be mistaken but I distinctly remember something like this.
>>
>>675505
>Unit 741

Fuck I didn't realize there was anything past 731. I thought 731 was already bad, 741 must be like 10 times worse!
>>
You know what "scorched earth" means in military terms right?
As the Ruskies were retreating they burned the land behind them so the Germs couldn't find sources of food&water.
>>
>>675568

>Belgian

The Belgians weren't the first ones into the Congo. Their king Leopold was, but he did so as a purely private venture that he fooled the west into believing was a philanthropic endeavor to civilize and uplift the population of the Congo.

In reality, it was a ruthless exploitation of the people and resources of the country by a man determined to make massive returns on his investment.
>>
>>671194
Cambodian killing fields
Imagine being choked to death with plastic bag and wire by braiwashed pre-teens
>>
File: Norfolk Island.jpg (58KB, 622x350px) Image search: [Google]
Norfolk Island.jpg
58KB, 622x350px
>'I have to record the most heart-rending scene that I ever witnessed. The turnkey unlocked the cell door and ... then came forth a yellow exhalation, the produce of the bodies of the men confined therein. I announced to them who were reprieved from death and which of them were to die. It is a literal fact that each man who heard his reprieve wept bitterly, and each man who heard his condemnation of death went down on his knees and, with dry eyes, thanked God they were to be delivered from this horrid place.

>The morning came, they received on their knees the sentence as the will of God. Loosened from their chains, they fell down in the dust, and, in the warmth of their gratitude, kissed the very feet that had brought them peace.'

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/08/29/3836797.htm
>>
>>671194
That would be in thirty years time when the ice-caps have melted, the world is a smoggy mess,the crops are being wiped out and the world has a population of 11 billion to feed senpai.

Also, the likelihood of nuclear war increases with every passing year
>>
File: stalingrad-27.jpg (35KB, 450x287px) Image search: [Google]
stalingrad-27.jpg
35KB, 450x287px
>>671194
>Was Stalingrad the closest thing to hell on earth humanity has experienced?

Something people get wrong about Stalingrad is that the majority of the battle was outside of the city. We think of urban ruins and fighting through broken factories but no more than a third of the German 6th Army ever entered the city.
>>
>>675423
>got away with it

How do you know the allied forces weren't doing similar experiments?

At the very least Churchill murdered an entire regiment of the British Army in a chemical weapons test.
>>
File: dsc08814.jpg (149KB, 800x578px) Image search: [Google]
dsc08814.jpg
149KB, 800x578px
>>679064
True, but some of the most famous battles took place near or in the city, like the grain silo, Red October factory, Mamayev Kurgan, etc. To Hitler, cutting the Volga meant taking Stalingrad. Pretty dumb, but at least we got this sweet monument out of it.
>>
Eastern Front in WW2 was generally fucked up but that was mainly because Germans and their allies committed horrific war crimes. Warfare itself was brutal and with many casualties but you really don't understand how vast Russia is and how thinly spread those troops were.
In terms of hellishness of combat, Verdun takes the prize.
>>
File: _72198053_d3.jpg (58KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
_72198053_d3.jpg
58KB, 660x371px
>>679072

Yeah, it's on my bucket list.

It's interesting to see where forensic science is today and that remains from WW2 are being exhumed for identification, i.e. the mass graves of dead from the USS Oklahoma at Pearl Harbor. There's some pushing to collect bodies from the Yamato. I wonder if Russia will embark on something like that.
>>
>>671853

I've read that constantly coming up and down from high levels of stress and fear to relative calm is actually a catalyst for combat fatigue. Studies of WW2 bomber crews who did this had significantly higher rates than ground troops who had a more metered exposure to stress over the same time frame.
>>
>>679064
>majority of the battle was outside of the city

if thats true then im sad. Stalingrad myths are the perfect fit for my hyper-industrial urban human meat grinder fetish
>>
>>679064
>but no more than a third of the German 6th Army ever entered the city.
That's still a large amount of Nadsis entering the city.
>>
>>671349
>Kurds are bad because they mass-murder Assyrians and Armenians
>Assyrians are totally cool though because they mass-murdered everyone in the region
>>
>>671349
>picture of a random person holding a sign that says "YPG killing kurds in syria"
>in a picture about iraq
anti-kurdish assyrian diaspora are literally retarded
>>
>>675423
Is this actually a good movie or torture porn propaganda?
>>
>>679260

>start watching
a bit of beating, one accidental electrocution, nothing too bad so far

>35 minutes in
FUCK
>>
>>671699
You forget that only the Commonwealth troops did that
German troops spent way more time on the front before being switched out
>>
>>672065
this picture never ceases to amaze me
like, it's just gone, wiped clean off the planet
>>
>>673326
It was good for some soldiers. Even here in funland people got rich of loot and were being raised to nobility for theirnservices to the crown.
>>
File: ww1.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ww1.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>671781

It depends on the individual but the worse possible scenario in WW1 wasn't the trenches or even the gas, but the tunnels.

Tunneling to mine the enemy lines as they do the same to you, occasionally breaching each others tunnel, forced to fight it out in pitch darkness, or being buried alive if they hear you first and dig bore holes to collapse your tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc9s3ZMYIec
>>
File: 1421033045644.png (80KB, 704x800px) Image search: [Google]
1421033045644.png
80KB, 704x800px
>>671348
>>
Ustase
>>
>>679496
I never knew about the tunnels being that expansive. Thanks for the documentary, anon.

>forced to fight it out in pitch darkness
Oh God that sounds more terrifying than normal. For some reason when I hear/read about hand-to-hand fighting in ww1/2 I get really quesy. Something about it just seems more primal or barbaric than hand-to-hand with swords and shields. You have to beat the other guy to death or stab him with a knife. No actual melee weapon training (to the extent a sword wielder would have), just desperate bludgeoning.
>>
File: image.jpg (242KB, 736x737px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242KB, 736x737px
>>679197
Well then you're looking for the Fall of Berlin.
>>
>>680030
Fucked
>>
>>679067
Source? I can believe it but I'd like to know more.
>>
>>679296
>That degloving scene

Man the special effects are pretty shit, but realizing that this kind of stuff actually happened is terrifying.
>>
>>675423
Man what the FUCK.
>>
>>680049
Seems my memory was exaggerated or they covered it up. There was at least one death in 1953 and lots of tests on volunteers and primitives that probably sent a lot of people to early graves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#Chemical_weapons

Of course this is only what we hear about. A squeaky clean record would seem suspicious.
>>
>>671583
>Last I heard the old guy shot himself after getting asylum in France.
How did he do that with no hands?
>>
>>675568
Belgian Congo =/= Congo Free State
>>
>>671583
TIA
>>
>>679857

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092768/Never-seen-images-Birdsong-tunnels-dug-British-pit-workers-undermine-German-lines-First-World-War.html
>>
>>679205

He's not saying that they weren't. But why would you enter a city when your enemy is trying to surround that same city and encircle you? The Germans were outside of it for a reason, not because the Soviets were pushing them out. Contrary to that, the Germans had actually taken the city and it is important to remember that the Battle of Stalingrad mainly refers to the Soviet effort to repulse Germans from Stalingrad.
>>
Friendly reminder to read Timothy Snyder
>>
File: 1362055830086.png (32KB, 403x222px) Image search: [Google]
1362055830086.png
32KB, 403x222px
>>671319
>disagrees
>calls it a meme
>>
>>671456
The flu epidemic killed more people than WWI did. It really wasn't that bad a war in comparison to others.
>>
>>680773
now thats a meme

just because as many people didnt die as one of the worst epidemic of all time doesnt mean the war wasnt hell on earth at the front.

the Spanish flu was spread over the entire globe.

the Western front was concentrated death where if you weren't bellow ground you were dead.
Rats in the millions living amongst you.
At anytime you could be shot, blown up, gassed, catch any number of disease that could kill you ect.
you were covered in lice, filthy, starving, in a war you were told would be a chivalrous affair over in 6 months yet 4 years later everyone of your mates who you signed up with has died and you find yourself killing other men just like you day after day with no humanity.

Men came back from the war as shells of human beings.

but since not as many people died as the flu that means it wasnt that bad.

kill yourself.
>>
>>680578
the Germans never completely took Stalingrad.

There was always a Soviet foot hold.
>>
>>673333
For the Japanese it was pretty horrific. They all knew they were definitely going to die and that their purpose was to just delay the Americans and inflict as many casualties as possible.

Basically hanging out in damp caves with sleep deprivation, puking and shitting your guts out from cholera and then basically waiting to be scorched alive by a teenager with a flamethrower.

If that didn't happen you could take solace in the fact that your commander might lead you in a charge against some machineguns to end your misery.
>>
>>680100
Dude I'll take it over CGI any day.
>>
>>680792

These footholds were isolated. The Germans held the majority of the territory from the entrance of the city to the river and had pushed the previous army out. I would call that taking the city.
>>
>>679025
You know people have been saying shit like this forever right?
>>
File: 438px-Nagasakibomb.jpg (76KB, 438x599px) Image search: [Google]
438px-Nagasakibomb.jpg
76KB, 438x599px
>>671194
o say can you see
>>
File: sculptures-of-the-kims.jpg (52KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
sculptures-of-the-kims.jpg
52KB, 800x500px
battles and even wars end.

a true hell is a place where there is no hope for a better tomorrow.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 160x223px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 160x223px
>>671194

Not even the worst in ww2.
>>
>>679150
>Studies of WW2 bomber crews who did this had significantly higher rates than ground troops

If you think about it, every mission for a bomber crew would be like going over the top + being in an artillery barrage.
Before you mission you have hours, maybe days to anticipate the fear. Then when you're up there most of the crew has to sit around waiting for something to happen and when it does, you're effectively in the middle of a artillery barrage, but instead of being able to run to your bunker or foxhole, you have to sit around in a fragile tin can surrounded by explosives and kerosene and do a high stress, technical job that could kill everyone if you fuck up.
Every time you go up crashing, burning alive, falling, drowning, getting peppered with shrapnel are all a seriously possibility and you have no escape, nowhere to run, nothing to hide behind.
Every time you go up someone from your squadron will probably get wounded or die.
Then when you touch down, you're immediately back to sitting around and anticipating the next mission.
>>
>>681703
At least most of them have never experienced a decent life to compare their shitty ones to. Though, their prison camps sound almost as bad as the gulags.
>>
>>671523
too informative man, you get a gold star

thanks and great job!
>>
>>671194
But Stalingrad exists.
>>
>>671574
Way to contribute to the thread Mr reddit
>>
File: 1327159413697.jpg (168KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1327159413697.jpg
168KB, 600x800px
>>682475

Not anymore
>>
>>673447
>>673451
that's fucking haunting damn
>>
>>681770
Most of them did though. North Korea was decent until the 80s.
>>
>>671803
>get shotgun
>brace it on the floor
>sit down with barrel in mouth
>pull trigger with toe

2ez m8
>>
>>671583
Imagine a world without whites...
>>
>>680773
WWI was unprecedented though. Nothing like it had ever happened
>>
>>680789
>starts a post with >now thats a meme
>post a completely meme post himself
2meta4me
>>
>>671853
I think that often times though the guns would range well behind the front lines meaning that units that had been rotated into support trenches or villages for respite could still find themselves under fire.
I'm currently reading Storm of Steel and it seemed to occur frequently for Junger.
>>
>>671583

Fucking hell.
>>
>>679197
>if thats true then im sad. Stalingrad myths are the perfect fit for my hyper-industrial urban human meat grinder fetish

Well that still happened, it's just that people have the impression that the entire battle was like 'Enemy at the Gates',

>>680030
>Well then you're looking for the Fall of Berlin.

Every major German city looked like that at wars end.
>>
>>682758
deets
>>
>>680030
It gives me a hard on knowing this happened to Germany. It's just a shame they didn't destroy the people like they did the city.
>>
>>685764
only a complete fucking retard would try to destroy a superior race. Russians knew Germans are the future of the human race so of course they preserved them
>>
File: Batalha_de_Campo_Grande_-_1871.jpg (67KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
Batalha_de_Campo_Grande_-_1871.jpg
67KB, 620x387px
Honorary mention for Paraguay and that war where 90% of male population died.
>>
>>685824
Honorary mention to the Greek islands defeated by Athens where 100% of the male population died
>>
>>679115
Won't need much exhuming, according to some stories there are literal fields of bones out there.
>>
>>685893

I think everybody who listens to Dan Carlin has probably looked up the bone fields.

There's a documentary I've been looking for since this thread started, but it was on a third party website that I guess no longer exists, that featured a Russian relic hunter who digs around Volgograd/Stalingrad and finds German identity discs and tries to return them to families. Anyway, he mentions the bone fields too, but apparently it had been cleaned up by the local or national government and buried somewhere.
>>
Homs , allepo are as bad or worse
>>
File: Carthage_Ruins01_full.jpg (47KB, 525x380px) Image search: [Google]
Carthage_Ruins01_full.jpg
47KB, 525x380px
>>671194
The Sacking of Carthage was pretty brutal, imho.

Imagine hundreds of thousands of people being slaughtered with swords, spears and flames in house to house urban combat. Keep in mind the Carthaginians had been preparing for months, turning every building into a fortress and arming every person they could. Many starved to death before the Romans even made their final attack. Nothing of the city remained when it was all over. Any Carthaginians who survived were sent off to slavery.
>>
>>684278
>casualty means killed
>being this uneducated

Did you come here from /k/ or something?
>>
>>686801
No they aren't you fucking idiot. Parts of Homs maybe, but not Aleppo. Parts of Aleppo are functioning relatively normally actually
>>
>>671583
jesus christ anon
>>
>>684278
200k germans and 475k dead russians
or something along those lines
those numbers are correct but those are total casualties, not all deaths.
>>
>>673447
what the absolute fuck
>>
>>678854
>wear glasses
>get shot
fucking Cambodia
>>
>>671194
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courri%C3%A8res_mine_disaster

>Complete dark
>Air is toxic
>dead bodies all around rotting
>nothing to eat, let alone drink
>burned all over your body, included the lungs
>for days
>no hope of getting away
>some will eventually
>the survivors had to get back on the mine one week after because they needed the money
>>
>>687043
3 days after the explosion, hopes to find more survivors were thin, and the company decided to seal the air opening.
20 days after the explosion, 13 miners find their way out of their own.
24 days after the explosion, another man get out of the galleries after walking trough hundred of kilometres of dead bodies and agonising people.
>>
File: Radeau-de-la-Meduse[1].jpg (52KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
Radeau-de-la-Meduse[1].jpg
52KB, 400x266px
This deserve a mention

>Abandoned in the high sea
>Not enough place for everyone.
>You must stand and hold people around you.
>Thirst is not a problem since there is water up to the knees
>yup, you can actually drink this way and it filter the salt
>Ho, forget about this "sleep" thing.
>After a time, the skin get out of the legs, but this is not the worse
>There is nothing to eat.
>In a first time. This problem is solved quickly.
>Dead bodies make good flotation device.
>Sharks start to know the spot. If you let them eat the dead, you sink.
>Actually have to fight sharks with knives
>Sun. Motherfucking sun.
>Illnesses.
>"Provisions" are running low.
>The number one cause of death for the whole thing is to be killed in an argument.
>>
>>686994
Did you read the Poem he wrote? >>673451
>>
>>679857
>>679496
the film Alatriste has couple of great scenes that depic that same kind of warfare, althought it's set in the 16th century
>>
>>687002
> implying khmers would waste a bullet on a simple schoolteacher
farming tools, comrade
>>
>>685764
What the hell is your problem with Germans? The only ethnicity that deserves to be wiped out on this earth is Russians.
>>
>>687043
>>687083
Fuck, I can't imagine the horror of spending weeks in these tunnels, among corpses and dyings.
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.