[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do believers pray for world peace, pray for speedy recoveries,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_lt42qsBAz11r0go7xo1_500.jpg (29KB, 500x616px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lt42qsBAz11r0go7xo1_500.jpg
29KB, 500x616px
Why do believers pray for world peace, pray for speedy recoveries, pray for their final exams, pray for food, pray for their football team, etc?
>>
For the same reason communists like you go to street protests against global capitalism.
>>
>>452250

>prayer is only when I ask God to do things for me.

You have a shitty way of thinking about what prayer is.
>>
>>452280
I'm not taking about prayer/meditation in general, I mean when someone asks God for something (examples in OP)
>>
>>452250
The same would hold true regarding faith then. Your argument is necessarily Calvinist.
>>
>>452298
So there are things outside God's control? Things he isn't the ground of being for, they actualize themselves?
>>
>Calvinism
>Predestination
>>
>>452307
You are assuming God lives by time as we do.

He is outside of time. He does not live in the `present´ as we do. He can see the past, present and future at will.
>>
>>452307
This depends entirely on the theological positions you take on predestination, free will, faith, election, etc.

The argument you've put holds, and only holds, in a Calvinist interpretation.
>>
>>452315
I never make this assumption.

>>452316
"ground of all being" is actually Catholic
>>
>>452250
the praying is in god's plan

it's not an employer/employee relationship. the only one who ever needs anything is the human and presumably sometimes he needs to pray.
>>
>>452370
>the only one who ever needs anything is the human

Why did God make things he didn't need?
>>
>>452370
>the praying is in god's plan
You do not have a proofs. For example allah do not care about destroying of mosque.
>>
>>454213
>>the praying is in god's plan
You do not have proofs. For example an allah do not care about destroying of a mosque.
>>
>>452250
God does some things that you ask him to do in prayer. It was part of his plan to do it, but it was also his plan for you to pray.
>>
>>454331
>calvinism

absolutely disgusting
>>
>>454348
Is that Calvinism? I thought all Christians believed that. What's wrong with what I said?
>>
http://www.torahcafe.com/torahcafemobile/video/db396894b
They prey for those things to remember their relationship to God, and better their self to become more deserving of a good heavenly decree.
>>
>>454882
So God doesn't give people things for praying or being good?
>>
>>452250

prayer helps the one praying, its a form of mental hygiene and is personaly important to people, so it objectively serves a purpose, same as meditation is useful even if the soul dont exist and nirvana is just a meme
>>
>>455776
If people are good they inherit and establish the world to come, where there's world peace and no hunger. It's divinely ordained when that happens, though humans bring it about.
Therefore, there's a direct reward for prayer/being good, but not in this life, it's more for posterity.
Being a good person, however, and fearing God makes you more deserving of divine rewards. That means, while there is not a direct reward from prayer, nor the ability to change the divine will, you'll be, for instance, spared on yom hadin/kippur
>>
>>455790
>objectively serves a purpose
No, it subjectively serves a purpose. At least according to your description.
>>
>>456226
>Therefore, there's a direct reward for prayer/being good, but not in this life,

What about Job?
>>
>>457848
Ignore Bible verses that contradict Catholic philosophy
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.