[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important were Roman roads during the early and high middle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1448741794123.png (183KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
1448741794123.png
183KB, 500x377px
How important were Roman roads during the early and high middle ages, are thereally any major highways that started as Roman roads.
>>
RTW taught me that roads are VERY important.

Both for armies to travel faster, and better trade.
>>
>>452009
Ehhh I always worry about making pretty narrow threads because it makes people think you are trying to do homework and attracts trash
>>
Most "Roman" roads existed before the Roman empire.
>>
>>452028
Yeah but they were redone and made to be more effective than before
>>
File: Legionary_blacksmith.jpg (7KB, 200x143px) Image search: [Google]
Legionary_blacksmith.jpg
7KB, 200x143px
>>452027
TMI, kiddo. You'll have to open your textbook just like the rest of your class. Yeah, your history teacher is a prick for making you do a project over Winter Break, but still.
>>
>>452233
Well, people who post narrow threads who are interested in the topic have normally read about it first and then provide informative summaries. That's how you can tell the difference.
>>
>>452249
You tell the difference by the amount of adolescent vernacular the person uses and how many dumb/simple questions the person asks. People who know their shit and are interested in history, unlike kids who have it assigned to them by the public school system, don't expect to have the most basic things spoonfed to them.

Librarians in a public library will gladly help you find all the information you need. 4chan is a horrible place to be asking questions about history, and it looks terrible on your bibliography.
>>
>>452028
Are you saying that they were built by peoples who were conquered by Romans, or that they were built during the Republic?
>>
>>452004
It depends on the region. In places like Gaul the roads had some maintenance done to them due to the centralised powers that controlled the area, but in Britain where things were closest to what some call a dark age, the roads quickly sank into ruin, though were still used as tracks. The roads had often been built over previous tracks in parts anyway so were often in the most useful places for long distance travel, but they were far less usable and subsequently, used, for centuries.

Rutilius Namatianus already was complaining about how the alpine roads were impassable in 410 so obviously some of them depending on the climate were fucked beyond relief. Watling Street in Britain has a motorway built on it I think since it goes along a perfect speedy route to the north of England, i'm not sure.
>>
Alfred and then his daughter Athelthled rebuilt Roman roads and walls, and even built their own on the Roman model.
>>
>>452009
>when all your roads become Roman highways
>that speed
>that trade
>>
>>452004
Yea Roman roads was one of the multitudes of reason's they fell because barbarians would use them to travel faster.
>>
Do you know how much it fucking sucked to travel on dirt roads? It took Franklin 9 days to get from Boston to Philadelphia in muddy ass roads
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.