[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is majoring in history really financial suicide? Is it even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 1390764817614.jpg (78KB, 520x624px) Image search: [Google]
1390764817614.jpg
78KB, 520x624px
Is majoring in history really financial suicide?

Is it even possible to get any jobs with a major in history?

Im nearly finished with my history major and while I loved every second of it and would be glad to do anything with history in the future Im kinda starting to have doubts. Living in Germany btw.
>>
>>449218
If you're not really interested in going through academics: yes

t. history major.

Though desu with you, I took history because I have no idea what to do in life. My classmates went on to have office jobs in commercial companies anyway so meh, its not like its going to cage you into academics.

I just don't like office jobs.
>>
Musuem curator historian history teacher idk , i was majoring before i left college because of this exact reasoning.
>>
Major in what will get you work, minor in what you love.
>>
Like anything else, depends how motivated you are to network, and how you plan to apply it.
>>
>>449255
>Musuem curator historian history teacher idk , i was majoring before i left college because of this exact reasoning.

Yeah. Don't do this, OP.

Degree =/= preparing for a career. You're better off looking at what careers interest you first, then mapping out realistically how to get there Basically, measure your chances of how to secure an entry level position in a desired field. But also take into consideration things like "industry growth potential," "salary," "experience necessary," and most importantly... who do you know that can help you get a leg up.

If history aligns with all that, then you're set. If not, you're better off just doing it as a minor.
>>
>>449255
I did however recently decide on wanting to teach it, so i plan on going back in for it. I'm currently in culinary for jobcorp though
>>
>>449254
It isn't like you can just "go into" academics, It's incredibly difficult and borderline impossible for subjects like history.
>>
Majoring in anything is financial suicide nowdays, not even stem fields will get you a job.
>>
>>449531

This. The queue is very long and it's likely that the guys in front of you have a significantly better education at a significantly better university than you do.
>>
>>449558
this.
and also depends on where you are from.
I'm from southern Europe and I can't even teach in school with my master degree in history.
i think I will suck old people cocks for money.
seriously, if you like it do it. but it is not an easy path.
If I can suggest you something from my experience, learn AT LEAST another language and above all LEARN TO CUT A VIDEO AND TO SHOOT WITH A CAMERA.
documentaries are one ofthe few jobs you can do with a history degree, if you are brave enough
>>
>>449566
this.
I've met 50 years old university teachers striving for a job in the university in which they worked with 1 year contracts for decades
>>
>>449558
This, essentially. The modern world is pretty fucked in that regard. Might as well live off welfare for life and just read books all day.
>>
>>449218
just go into postgraduates and start publishing shit
>>
>>449569
Even in places like Sweden where university is free and you even get welfare just for studying people opt out because it's pointless.
>>
Premier of my province is a history major so there's some hope for you.

We're ~300 billion in debt btw.
>>
>>449218
Work in the government?
NGO's? Think-tanks? private companies?
Go into an unknown historical field that due to few peopel in it guarantees you a spot of notoriety?
>>
I graduated as an engineer but then I also did a year of history out of interest. Now I'm unemployable and homeless.
>>
>>449218
Pro-tip with basically any major choice; your major is not the crucial thing that makes your career, that's your character
>>
>>449620
>Now I'm unemployable and homeless.
where you shitposting then senpai
>>
>>450286
I broke into my mom's basement and secretly live there.
>>
>>449596
I deeply eny states where you can live and earn autismbux without the need to work, and still focus on research
>>
>>449218
>Is majoring in history really financial suicide?
Short answer; yes. You're fucked. Knowing history simply isn't a marketable skill, because someone else can't make money off of your knowledge and skills. Currently have a guy who has a master's in philosophy taking classes at the tech college with me, while working an entry level position in manufacturing. He's well-rounded amd smart enough that he'll probably be successful in a skilled trade. Unfortunately for me, my grasp of language and abstract thinking far exceed my abilities in mathematics and hard science. So I'm in the same boat as you brotha. The things I'm good at won't net me a lucrative career, and the things that will, I'm not very good at.
>>
>>449218
>Is majoring in history really financial suicide?

No, since you can major in history and still become a web developer.
>>
PhD in history from Cambridge here, I suck dicks in an alley.
>>
PhD from Oxford here, I get my dick sucked in allies
>>
>>449531
>It isn't like you can just "go into" academics, It's incredibly difficult and borderline impossible for subjects like history.
Not if you're me and live in the Philippines and there's shitloads of jobs in Academics & Education because every cunt in that field is emigrating out of the country to teach other Asian kids engrish or are in the US or Canada.

The pay is shit...but that's if you have a family (which a lot of folks here unwisely do early in life, hence all the emigrations). However, for a single man its not that bad really. You can save up and move up to another career.
>>
I got my degree in software engineering and never used it. I programmed for fun as a kid but it stopped being fun when there were deadlines involved. I finished the degree as a fall back but went into a completely different field just prior to graduating.

So is it career suicide? I wouldn't say so. Software engineering is so far removed from what I actually do now but having a bachelors of science on my resume has helped me in the interviews for the 2 jobs I've worked since graduating.

I've seen some managerial postings online that simply require completion of a 4 year degree.
>>
>tfw majored in egyptology and coptic studies and actually got a job in the field

feels good man

Germany too btw
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.