[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Ethiopia expand deeper into Africa? Also,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 16

File: Aksumites.jpg (799KB, 1992x1620px) Image search: [Google]
Aksumites.jpg
799KB, 1992x1620px
Why didn't Ethiopia expand deeper into Africa?

Also, East Africa general.
>>
towards central africa? i thought that was terra incognita until europeans explored it.
>>
>>437876
Kingdom of the Kongo was there.

I'm asking about the coast however, like where Kenya and Tanzania are.
>>
>>437861
Tse flies. Whenever someone asks why Africans haven't done something obvious it's always those satanic flies
>>
>>437884
From what I've read the Arab conquest of most of the Middle East (and from that dominance of seaborne trade in the Indian Ocean) weakened Ethiopia, and lead to the Islamisation of Ethiopia's coasts

Afterwards they were too focused on simply surviving to bother expanding south/east
>>
Ethiopia sits on what is actually a fairly isolated pocket of the African continent. It's mountain terrain, difficult to traverse, and culturally alien from the rest of the continent as a whole, being closer to the arab states that border it. Expanding in such a direction would be extremely hard, and the lack of organized cities in the region makes the area simply worthless.
>>
>>437910
For the sake of argument, I'll say that blaming the land is an excuse, and that other civilizations like steppe Eurasians faced similar challenges, yet expanded greatly.
>>
>>437918
What this argument fails to take into account, however, is that steppe groups were, on average, economically miserable nomadic communities, and yet surrounded by rich urban centers which they could continuously harass or conquer for loot. It's a situation where the expanding party has nothing to lose, and everything to win.
Ethiopia's situation was the exact opposite. It WAS a fairly urbanized and developed state, and yet the surrounding african regions it could expand towards held virtually nothing of value. Like I mentioned, no major urban centers, no trade routes, no rich city-states. Thus, they stood to gain very little from expansion, while risking a lot more.
>>
The same reason Rome never expanded into Germany/Scotland/Central Europe/Arabia and China didn't expand into Siberia - the climate is harsh and the land is settled with aggressive barbarians and doesn't produce anything of value.
>>
If you're going to start a thread on us atleast be more creative and not ask the same questions
>>437884
An Ethio-Persian was there already
>>437861
Depends on the groups, not every Ethiopian is Habesha
>>437902
Tsetse, striga, malaria, quelea
>>437918
This is annoying
>>437941
B-but it's snow, it's not the same Africans had paradise. Didn't need to work hard for food!!!!
>>
>>437861
They had enough trouble contolling their own patch let alone exapanding
>>
File: Cropland biome probability map.png (2MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Cropland biome probability map.png
2MB, 1920x1440px
Ethiopians are agricultural highland people. They're surrounded on every side by pastoral lowlands. That's basically it.

They had enough trouble controlling the highlands anyway.
>>
>>438184
Habesha are Highland people, not all Ethiopians are Habesha.
>>
>>438203
I'm not sure what point you're making. OP was obviously talking about Habesha, not Somalis or Oromos. Ethiopian basically means Habesha in a pre-modern context.
>>
File: Mehmet+my+son_02e7e0_5665318.jpg (131KB, 484x769px) Image search: [Google]
Mehmet+my+son_02e7e0_5665318.jpg
131KB, 484x769px
>>
>>438211
>Ignoring the Beta Israeli dynasty of Guditand her descendants in the Zagawes because it's inconvenient
>>
>>438275
God, I wish the Africans of 4Chan never told you guys about Nairaland
>>
File: smagon3.jpg (273KB, 659x966px) Image search: [Google]
smagon3.jpg
273KB, 659x966px
>>438275
Kuck thread?
>>
>>438277
Agaw are highlanders too you know.

I still don't know what point you're trying to make.
>>
>>438312
Agaw are not Habesha, if you don't know Ethiopian history don't speak on the topic. Stay in your lane.
>>
>>438324
>Agaw are not Habesha
I know that. What is your point?
>>
>>438342
You stated that Ethiopians were just Highlanders, we are not

You stated that Highlanders are the standard for Ethiopia and we are not

You stated that obviously Habesha are the standard for premodern context and no we aren't.

Basically you're talking out you're ass.
>>
>>438359
>You stated that Ethiopians were just Highlanders, we are not
>You stated that Highlanders are the standard for Ethiopia and we are not
I stated that OP was talking about highlanders, since highlanders are what people generally consider Ethiopian (while lowlanders are other peoples who were conquered by Ethiopians) and are the people who created the 'Ethiopian' identity in the first place. People like Oromos and Somalis were never considered Ethiopian before the creation of the modern Ethiopian state and the idea of citizenship making everyone within that state 'Ethiopian', regardless of their culture, history, or identity.

>You stated that obviously Habesha are the standard for premodern context and no we aren't.
With a few exceptions, the highlands were generally lead by Habeshas. Though the Agaw (probably) once had political control during the Zagwe, they were operating within a Habesha culture and civilization, much like the Manchu in China.

You say you're Ethiopian, so I'm guessing you have some kind of agenda to push. Ethiopian expats always seem to have some kind of weird cultural identity issues.
>>
>>438387
Can you please shut up. You know nothing of our history, our last monarch was of Oromo descent through both his his parents who were born with Oromo fathers.

Ethiopia is not static, stop trying to freeze the cultures and societies of Ethiopia within this timeless idea of place and position
>>
>>438445
So you can't refute anything I said.

>You know nothing of our history
I seem to know more than you. You know, just because you're from a country doesn't mean you know anything about its history.

>our last monarch was of Oromo descent through both his his parents who were born with Oromo fathers.
The last emperor of China was a Manchu. Does that retroactively mean that China was not and is not a Han nation? No, of course not. Yeah, there are plenty of Oromos who are culturally integrated into Ethiopia and could be called Ethiopian. That does not change the fact that Oromos were generally not a historically Ethiopian group, but rather a people who invaded Ethiopia and were later conquered by Habeshas. Nor does it change the fact that Ethiopia throughout most of its history was generally a highland Habesha civilization.

>Ethiopia is not static, stop trying to freeze the cultures and societies of Ethiopia within this timeless idea of place and position
You're the one trying to project a modern citizenship-based Ethiopian identity back onto the past when such an identity was much more limited.

Just face it; Ethiopia was for the vast majority of its history a Christian highland-based civilization lead by the Habesha. Groups like the Agaw and Oromo sometimes came to rule, but were operating within a Christian Ethiopian political and cultural system built by the Habesha. The non-Christianized Oromo, the Somalis, the Afars, and the dozens of different peoples in the southeast were not a part of this civilization and were not Ethiopian. They have only become 'Ethiopian' in the last century as they became citizens of the Ethiopian state. To call these peoples Ethiopian makes no more sense than to call a Tibetan Chinese or a Kurd Turkish.
>>
File: Liya Kebede picture 08.jpg (119KB, 768x470px) Image search: [Google]
Liya Kebede picture 08.jpg
119KB, 768x470px
I am conflicted between my love for the aquiline features of East African qts and the bodacious curvature of Bantus.

Please help.
>>
File: African racism.png (30KB, 1008x534px) Image search: [Google]
African racism.png
30KB, 1008x534px
>>438286
Nairaland is a fun place.
>>
File: we-are-nilotic-nykhor-paul-s.jpg (97KB, 747x703px) Image search: [Google]
we-are-nilotic-nykhor-paul-s.jpg
97KB, 747x703px
>>438508
Why not mix the two?

To be honest, it would probably wind up either like this or Black American woman with darker than average skin.
>>
>>438508
>implying southern African shits look like that irl

Lel no.
>>
>>438531
Dick Sucking Lips game so stronk
>>
File: san.jpg (30KB, 356x500px) Image search: [Google]
san.jpg
30KB, 356x500px
>>438535
>implying all Southern Africans are Bantu

fuck off m8

>>438542
>you will never feel those soft lips
>Ever
>>
>>438555
>posting pics of a borderline extinct ethnic group
>>
File: Khoi.jpg (6KB, 209x261px) Image search: [Google]
Khoi.jpg
6KB, 209x261px
>>438560
Aren't they a race rather than an ethnic group?

Well, at least they aren't the Hadza. The Khoisan are at least close to 100,000 in population.
>>
>>438578
The Khoi and the San are two different people mashed together into one category.

San are basically endangered ethnicity
>>
Is there a reason why Oromos don't didn't conquer lands from Somalis like they did in Ethiopia. From what I understand, the Adal-Abyssinia conflict devasted both empires; to the point where Adal collapsed years later. The Oromos taking advantage of this weakness invaded the lands of both empires. That explains why Oromos are a major ethnic group in Ethiopia, yet not in Somalia.
>>
>>438582
I know this. The only thing they have in common is that they're both relatively unrelated to other races, and that they both have giant asses.

Same goes for whatever tiny hunter-gatherer ethnic group that's seconds away from going extinct in Africa, like the Hadza. Poor bastards, they've outlived us all and now they're treated like shit.
>>
>>438584
Oromos expanded where there was good land. The Ethiopian highlands had a lot while Somali had very little, so there wasn't much reason to expand there.
>>
>>438518
>huge OP proclaiming how the Igbo are actually Jews and thus God's chosen people
>first reply is simply "i no be jew"
>>
>>438518
>You have humongous foreheads

That is true.
>>
File: 1395191108886.jpg (52KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
1395191108886.jpg
52KB, 501x585px
>>438596
>Same goes for whatever tiny hunter-gatherer ethnic group that's seconds away from going extinct in Africa, like the Hadza. Poor bastards, they've outlived us all and now they're treated like shit.

One of my secret fantasies is to go to southern Africa and breed like crazy with the San people to create a new stronk warrior race

But I dunno how the San women feel about East Asian dudes
>>
File: 1024px-Namibian_Bushmen_Girls.jpg (159KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Namibian_Bushmen_Girls.jpg
159KB, 1024x768px
>>438624
Well, I heard that the San call Vietnamese the same word they refer to themselves, while calling Black and White Africans a word for inedible animal.

So you should be safe for short slim girls with giant asses.
>>
>>438518
>ware-fare collectors
10/10, would react to suspicious e-mail
>>
File: 1391824216372.jpg (42KB, 324x289px) Image search: [Google]
1391824216372.jpg
42KB, 324x289px
>>438656
>while calling Black and White Africans a word for inedible animal.

Holy shit my sides
>>
>>438518
>why are you spending your internet time on Narialand when you can feed the electricity money on your cousins in Somalia or imaginary Somaliland

Holy shit, this some 4chan levels of BTFO'd.
>>
>>438676
It's like /int/ shitposting but between sub-Saharan Africans
>>
File: benin.jpg (183KB, 407x441px) Image search: [Google]
benin.jpg
183KB, 407x441px
>>438686
And it's beautiful. I'm glad Africans are now posting on 4chan besides South Africans and the occasional West African. All that racial banter is hilarious.
>>
lord have mercy on your brain cells

top kek
>>
>>437934
Except the Swahili Coast, Nubia, and Egypt.

According to the Quran, Axum expanded into Arabia at least once. I don't know why they were content to just sit around for centuries given their elites saw themselves as basically demigods and everyone around their state as savages.
>>
>>438738
How are they supposed to expand into Muslim territory when all the Muslims would band together to fuck them over. Also Egypt is much richer then ethopia and so 1 on 1 could win most of the time not even including Arabia, Nubia or further Muslim territories. There is at reason why ethopia couldn't beat the Somalia city states let alone fucking Egypt.
>>
>>437861
Well, they were busy trying to dominate the Arabian peninsula and later the Horn of Africa. Muhammad famously ran the Ethiopians out of Arabia.
>>
>>437861
Disease killing them and their livestock and climates unsuitable for their crops.

Duh
>>
File: Oh wow.jpg (50KB, 672x434px) Image search: [Google]
Oh wow.jpg
50KB, 672x434px
>>438518
Holy fuck, this is /int/ levels of banter
>>
>>438978
How was anyone supposed to expand into Muslim territory? By being tactically superior.

>Egyptian wealth
>Meaning anything if your army is shit
>>
>>439016
Imagine /int/ seeing the ancient African tradition of bantz unfold right on their board.
>>
>>438578
>Aren't they a race

No they are black
>>
>>438505
You have nothing to add nor refute, all the green text in the world will not make you correct.

Oromo, Agaw and dozens of other groups within Ethiopia have been intermixing for millennia; too say or speak of Ethiopia and Eritrea through a narrow idea of who and what we are is ignoring the vastness of our peoplehood and ignoring our role in the world before most of us were even Christian.
>>
>>439754
They're about as black as the Queen of England actually.
>>
>>439078
In this case muslims were clearly superior as Ethiopia was on the defensive and Islam had the hegemony on the area until the portuguese arrived.
>>
>>439754
What is "black"?
>>
>>438291
Ethiopian women are cucked?
>>
>>443477
Is this a ETHIOPIA IS WHIIIIIIIIIIIITE meme?
>>
>>438505
The lead ethnic group in the region changed as well as ethnic groups and formation.
>>
>>438505
The lead ethnic group in the region changed plenty of times as well as ethnic groups and formation.
>>
>>438508
Bantu is a language group moron.
>>
>>438531
Is that a grayscale image or is it in color?
>>
>>438150
Different people might ask the same questions because they did not receive the same answers.

I'm probably not going to ask this question again, because I have received enough good answers that are not only believable, but citable.
>>
>>438617
Farmaajo's hairline is just receding, the forehead is a meme
>>
How large was the Russian role in the victory at Adwa? Were their arms supplies a major contribution to the Ethiopian victory?
>>
>>446218
Yes, Russian arms did play a large role. But so did landscape advantage (I believe the Ethiopians had machine guns while the Italians didn't) as well as outdated weaponry and poor leadership from the Italians. Basically the same things that plagued Italy during WW2.
>>
>>446324
Ethiopians had the Maxim machine gun and the Italians had not?
>>
>>446324
also the fact that the Ethiopians outnumbered the Italians 20 to 1
>>
>>438505
Us somalis consider oromos ethiopian habeshi, Afar not
>>
>>444642
what do you call people from south of the horn and sahel?
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.