[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't the US nuke the Soviets between V-J Day and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1450108728654.jpg (30KB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
1450108728654.jpg
30KB, 460x258px
Why didn't the US nuke the Soviets between V-J Day and the time the Soviets got the bomb?
Also, thoughts on Julius and Ethel Rosenberg?
>>
Why would you nuke someone that is not your enemy?

Why would you nuke someone that has been your ally in a war that you had just won?
>>
Not an expert but I beleive the technology was not ver advanced. You needed air-superiority to drop a bomb. Something the U.S would have lost quickly. Western europe would also be completly invaded in a matter of weeks. Also the country was war -weary. So betraying a back then ally would have been a bad move. All in all this was poor idea.
>>
>>411651

Because randomly killing millions of people for no reason is somewhat frowned upon?
>>
You would kill millions of innocent citizens ? Childrens,old people,people enjoying living ?
>>
>>411703
didn't stop them from nuking japs couple years earlier
>>
>>411651
>You will never live in an alternate universe where the Soviets dropped nukes on every major US city and rid the earth of their plague
>>
>>411688

>not your enemy

Read Potsdam: The End of World War II and the Remaking of Europe.

Stalin, Truman, and Molotov knew that the U.S. and Russia weren't going to be friends. They were able to hammer out their differences in a reasonable way - and for that we should be grateful; the rest of the world as well.

Patton wanted to tear the Russians apart while there were still boots on the ground (not that he had the authority but it was an idea of the sentiment of some).

So, to answer your question, OP, Truman didn't want another war. Stalin didn't want another war. They knew their ideologies were going to ultimately lead to tense moments but it's better to risk disagreements instead of heading straight to war.

And, for what it's worth, FDR keeping Truman in the dark for so much didn't help either. The guy was literally learning on the job; I'm not sure he wanted to learn how to wage a war against a formidable opponent.
>>
>>411733
>>411703
It's because Truman didn't want to start another war. That would be terrible Pr For his reelection "Out of one war, into another".
>>411753
The amount of nukes neaded to cover every single major U.S. City would cause a minor nuclear winter, which even with that era of technology would have killed millions of people.
>>
>>411753
>Soviets
>developing the bomb on their own.

Anon, pls.
>>
Julius and Ethel were criminals
>>
The cold war was more about fear of war than being a war.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.